Bermuda cruise

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
goru1

Bermuda cruise

Post by goru1 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:46 am

Is this a good plan?

Plan:
Aug
2 Adults
2 Children
7-Day
Boston to Bermuda
Norwegian Dawn
Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda
Inside room
https://www.ncl.com/cruises/7-Day-Bermu ... 7BOSWRFBOS

obgraham

Re: Bermuda cruise

Post by obgraham » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:58 am

That inside room wouldn't be my first choice.
I assume from the description that you are trying to control your costs.

Things will be very "close" in that room. Hopefully your kids are old enough to be out and about by themselves. If not, you'll need to plan to spend most of your day with them out in the ship's amenities, and use the room just for sleeping and cleaning up.

If you plan it right, it should be a fun time. We've enjoyed all our cruises, at all expense levels.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:27 am

We took the kids on their first cruise last fall, we are doing another this fall and probably more with them in the future. They really like it.

We opted for a balcony room...the extra openness was worth it.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:10 pm

goru1 wrote:Is this a good plan?

Plan:
Aug
2 Adults
2 Children
7-Day
Boston to Bermuda
Norwegian Dawn
Inside room

What are the ages of the children?

NCL has a nice children's program for those at least 3 (and they are strict about the age).
For younger, there is a sort of playroom and occasional activities, but a parent MUST be present with the little one
(On some of the newer ships, not the Dawn, NCL might have more programs for the toddlers.)

If you have never been on a cruise before, I'd strongly suggest that you consider getting an Ocean View room if possible.
There is a HUGE difference between being in an inside, and at least having a view of the water/sky, etc.
--> But try to get the big "picture window", not a porthole. The big windows are really big, and kids can even sit on the very wide "sill".

Enjoy!!

And double check that your health insurance will cover all of you for any shipboard medical care, or any on Bermuda... just in case.
Otherwise, consider travel insurance at least for medical.
Your travel costs are capped (so you know the max losses if you can't go). Medical care...... another matter entirely. Less likely, but could be extremely expensive IF something happens.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

wish

Re: Bermuda cruise -- I would go for it

Post by wish » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:16 pm

My wife and I have done similar cruises 3 times from Norfolk Va. Inside rooms twice, outside once -- had fun each time. The last time, we were at Dockyards which has a fairly nice beach that is an easy walk from the ship. In 2007, our college-aged daughters were with us and surprisingly enjoyed eating in the dining room with us for all meals (the self service option seemed too much like college dining for them to want that). We all had fun.

Bermuda is a nice in that it is upscale, relatively safe, and has good bus and ferry service available. Unlike typical cruises, you stay in port long enough to scout around the island.

We have cruised to the Caribbean many times but prefer Bermuda. Cruising is way more cost effective than getting a room there.
If the cruises still went from Norfolk, we would go every year.

Wish they still had a Norfolk option.

Bob C

Post by Bob C » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Just returned from Bermuda, RC Anthem of the Seas. Great ship & port. Just some info balcony room well worth the extra $$.
Also, found out for nominal charge jitney will take you to you to Horse Shoe Bay, beautiful beach!!

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:39 pm

That is Hurricane season so be sure to know what your options are if there is one. If you are flying into Boston then I would get there a day or two ahead of time in case there are travel delays.

I am not a "cruise person" but I have gone on a cruise that I booked here;

http://www.vacationstogo.com/

You might check there to see if there are any good last minute deals for August.

I would also compare the price of the cruise to going to an all inclusive resort for a week someplace like the Mayan Riviera which is the coastal area south of Cancun in Mexico which and can be surprisingly affordable.

Some of the resorts are family oriented and you would have a lot more time on land.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:46 pm

goru1 wrote:Is this a good plan?
Plan:
Aug
2 Adults
2 Children
7-Day
Boston to Bermuda
Norwegian Dawn
Inside room

As you already see, opinions differ.

We went to Bermuda twice on cruises - one from Alexandria, VA that docked at St Georges and one from Baltimore that docked at the Royal navy Dockyard. Both were, on balance, very good. You are at sea for several days each way (I liked that, but some do not).

On BOTH crises, we were (at no added charge) upgraded from inside to outside. My opinion is that paying extra for an outside cabin is a waste of money.

With 4 of you, getting a taxi to go to the Beach is cost effective - and there is (as best I remember) a water shuttle/taxi from your dock to Hamilton. The larger cruise ships today do not go into either Hamilton or St George.

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Went on 4 Bermuda cruises, loved it everytime.

If your choices are NY or Boston and you're driving in to both - go Boston. Cheaper parking and it's right off the exit should be reasons enough to convince you.

Have fun!

trogdor

Post by trogdor » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:46 pm

Went on that cruise a few years back, great cruise. He's probably moved on but the program director was one of the Geico gecko voices (Paul Scally). Been on a few cruises and have found the inside cabin, mid ship to be great. Inside cabin means no window (no light) to wake you up. You can sleep as long as your body needs it after a few too many glasses of awesome-sauce. Mid ship worked because you don't really feel the ship rising/falling like in the front and you don't hear the turn of the screws in the back of the boat.

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:50 pm

What is the sleeping arrangement for the 4 of you? How old are the kids?

When we tried to get 4 of us into a single cabin, one kid would have had to sleep on a pulldown bed hanging from the wall over the parents' bed. That was a " no go" for us for several reasons. Fortunately, we were traveling with family and one kid ended up on a sofa in a relative's cabin while the other slept on the sofa in our cabin.

The inside rooms are really small, including the storage and bathroom. If your kids are older (12 or more), I'd recommend two cabins in close proximity or connecting.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:58 pm

delamer wrote:What is the sleeping arrangement for the 4 of you? How old are the kids?
When we tried to get 4 of us into a single cabin, one kid would have had to sleep on a pulldown bed hanging from the wall over the parents' bed. That was a " no go" for us for several reasons. Fortunately, we were traveling with family and one kid ended up on a sofa in a relative's cabin while the other slept on the sofa in our cabin.
The inside rooms are really small, including the storage and bathroom. If your kids are older (12 or more), I'd recommend two cabins in close proximity or connecting.

On the first Bermuda Cruise, when our son was in his early teens, we got 2 adjacent cabins (with door).

Four in one cabin can differ a lot, depending on the ship, configuration of the cabin class, etc. As I recall from the ships we took, some modestly priced cabins were configured with two bunk beds - to accommodate four persons. In my opinion, depending on all the details, it may be the case that you may spend very little time (other than sleeping, bathing and changing clothes) in the cabin.

A hint about children/teens on a cruise (our son figured this out VERY quickly until we cut him off): For "convenience", cruise ships often issue cards that can be used to charge purchases, such as drinks and refreshments. Kids/teens with such cards may really like to order stuff (and Mom/Dad pay the bill).

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:42 pm

Thats a good price!

Bermuda is really nice, Horshoe Bay Beach has some amazing beaches and snorkling.

I actually prefer an interior cabin for 2 reasons, they are cheaper, I can take a nap anytime ( turn the lights out and it is pitch black!)

Public transportation is inexpensive and safe. We took the pink bus to the beach. I was traveling with my 9yr old daughter and had no concerns for her safety.

Bermuda prices are steep! They have to ship everything in.....

Stay away from Blue Hole Park, I found it on Trip Advisor and it looked like a nice place to visit. My daughter and gf nicknamed it the death trail! The park is rather run down and a little sketchy.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

dpm321

Post by dpm321 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:58 am

The NCL ship out of Boston is tired. You might consider the short trip to NY for better ship(s).

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:35 am

The beaches on the south side are wonderful. Pink sand (coral), clean water.

I agree public transportation is good. On our second cruise there, my wife easily figured it out and it saved $ over taking a taxi. Children might actually like taking the bus. With 4, though, it might not save much over a taxi.

I agree 100% that Bermuda is EXPENSIVE. When we took those cruises, we tried to minimize paying for meals on shore, since meals on the ship were paid for as part of the cruise price.

The roads are very narrow, with no shoulders and often adjacent ditches. Driving is on the LEFT (like the UK). You cannot rent a car. A very common "risk" of cruise passengers is renting a motorcycle/scooter and crashing. On our first cruise, with about 500 passengers, 2 passengers were seriously injured from scooter/cycle mishaps. One had to be sent back to the US and the other showed up in the dining room with crutches and a cast. Even as a pedestrian, be aware that vehicles, motorcycles/scooters, bicycles are traveling in the narrow left lane.

I would not bother with a "cavern" tour. A cavern is a cavern - so plan on seeing one (if you have the interest) in the US.

njboater74

Post by njboater74 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:52 pm

The public transportation to the popular beaches is extremely crowded and not very frequent (every 30 minutes). If you don't fit on the first bus, you could be waiting upwards of an hour for a ride. If you have more than 2 people, a taxi or other private transport is a better alternative rather than dealing with the stress of the bus.

For other destinations, the public transport is a fine option. The ferry ride to Hamilton is quite enjoyable, and we also took local buses around the island as a quick and dirty sightseeing tour. The locals were very friendly, and were very accommodating to tourists on their buses, they even gave us suggestions on which bus lines were most scenic.

For your cabin on the ship, you may want to consider 2 staterooms. We traveled with 2 small children, and the cost of 2 staterooms was exactly the same as if we had all squeezed in one.
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world - 'No, YOU move'--Captain America, Boglehead

Van

Post by Van » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Bermuda itself is quite confining and difficult to get around in, since you cannot rent a car. Public transportation or taxi or motorbike. Not my favorite destination.

nolesrule

Post by nolesrule » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:09 pm

We went to Bermuda last summer on a 7 night out of Baltimore for our anniversary. next year, we're going back with the kids this time on a 9-night out of Baltimore that will also go to the Bahamas. Both on Grandeur of the Seas.

Two nights docked is nice. There's no rush and you have time to do whatever you want.

I'd love to go on Anthem of the Seas which is ported an hour from here in Bayonne, NJ. The ship looks amazing, but I can't justify the price premium for a brand new ship.

The public bus stop at Horseshoe Bay is a pretty good walk from the beach itself and it the top of a large hill that runs down to the beach. You can pick up a beach shuttle at the port which will drop you down at the beach proper and is reasonable compared to taxi service.

The kind of room you get depends on your comfort level. An inside cabin is going to be about half the size of a standard hotel room. There will be one bed and either a fold out couch or pull-down bunks (possibly above the one bed) depending on the room configuration. Some people can handle it, others can't.

I'm the kind of person that has mild claustrophobia, and I don't like crowds... the outdoor areas can get crowded, especially on a sea day. So we always get a balcony room at the minimum for the private outdoor space, and a junior suite or above when taking the kids. But that's us.

Green Nut

Post by Green Nut » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:45 am

We've (two of us) been to Bermuda 6x. We prefer interior cabins to Bermuda due to price and there is not a whole heck of a lot of time is spent in the room. On multi-island cruises I opt for a balcony or at least a window, but not for a single destination. As far as Bermuda I can't say enough, from our first visit we were hooked. First two trips were via the ship, but since then the 2-2.5 days in port wasn't enough so we stay on the island, been there as short as 5 days and as long as 14. It can be as expensive or as cheap as you want. We can find $40 dinners as well as $100 lunches, its all what you want to get out of it...we eat to survive, not to pamper ourselves. We always get bus passes, you have to get used to the bus schedules and plan accordingly - they are very reliable when there is no strike, but it far outweighs the price of taking taxis everywhere. We haven't tried scooters yet, that's the ultra-convenience.

But with two kids i'd get a second room...unless you're in a suite it'll be too crowded.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Green Nut wrote:We've (two of us) been to Bermuda 6x. We prefer interior cabins to Bermuda due to price and there is not a whole heck of a lot of time is spent in the room.

+1 On both my cruises to Bermuda, occurring nearly a decade ago, I do not even remember what the room was like. The second I woke up until the second I went to bed was filled with activities.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:39 pm

I went on this exact cruise a couple years back and on the way to Bermuda they closed the outdoor areas because of rough seas. I assume it was because of the time of year (April) but it was an adventure. People were dropping like flies from seasickness and the shows and bars were deserted because people felt terrible. Once we got to Bermuda it was awesome. And the way back was a little rough but nothing compared to going out. Have fun. :sharebeer

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:52 pm

SquawkIdent wrote:I went on this exact cruise a couple years back and on the way to Bermuda they closed the outdoor areas because of rough seas. I assume it was because of the time of year (April) but it was an adventure. People were dropping like flies from seasickness and the shows and bars were deserted because people felt terrible. Once we got to Bermuda it was awesome. And the way back was a little rough but nothing compared to going out. Have fun. :sharebeer

On our second Bermuda cruise (6 day from Baltimore), we encountered very, very rough seas on the trip back during the night (in May). it was so rough you had to hold onto the bed to keep from rolling out of the bed. A large coffee urn in the galley short circuited and there was a fire - quickly put out. The Captain was on the PA system several times during the night giving status.