Orlando Disney Parks

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
goru1

Orlando Disney Parks

Post by goru1 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:10 pm

Is the following a good plan? What is a good place to buy Disney theme park tickets?

Plan:
Aug
5 nights
2 Adults
2 Children
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Complimentary bus transportation
Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios

DSInvestor

Re: Orlando Disney Parks

Post by DSInvestor » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:15 pm

I would not visit Disney Orlando in August even if you paid me. It might be more comfortable at one of their water parks or take breaks in the pool.
Wiki

gator15

Post by gator15 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:32 pm

I went there with my family for spring break in March. We purchased a package including tickets to the four theme parks you listed and we stayed at the Disney All Star Sports Resort. We didn't purchase the meal plan. We wanted the flexibility to choose restaurants once we got there. For the most part, we were able to make restaurant reservations upon arriving. Taking this approach was good as it gave us a chance to get the lay of the land before we committed to a restaurant. We ate mostly at Epcot. Five days and four theme parks is about all you need. You walk ALOT there so you will be exhausted by the end of the week. In March we had mid 80 degree weather and it was really hot. I can't imagine going in August. We had a blast. The only drawback was the amount walking in the heat which we came to accept. We were really worried about our six year old but he rallied
each day and didn't complain. You will have a good time. Hydrate.

Sheepdog

Re: OrlaIndo Disney Parks

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:54 pm

I lived there. It is miserable in August if you are not used to it and even if you are used to it, it is still miserable. If is hot.... If you are mentally ready for that, you will be fine. Take time to relax, cool off, rest. Use sunscreen all day.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

fpr4

Post by fpr4 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:03 am

DSInvestor wrote:I would not visit Disney Orlando in August even if you paid me. It might be more comfortable at one of their water parks or take breaks in the pool.
+1

Did disney in june 2 years ago and it was sweltering. Great family memories, but when we go back it will be october-march.

Gill

Post by Gill » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:22 am

I agree that the heat and humidity can be brutal in August, but can someone please respond to the OP's question. He isn't asking about the weather. :x
Gill

KESP

Post by KESP » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:53 am

Try this forum. http://disboards.com/ Lots of good information. I've been in August, yes it's hot, but the prices are usually cheaper, especially at the end of August. Did you try to do a mock booking at the Walt Disney World website? You may not save much if you buy the tickets separately.

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:05 am

Seems like a good start. You can buy tickets on Disney's site, or you can go to undercovertourist.com for a bit of a discount. Booking straight from Disney is quicker and easier, but I would have no worries booking from undercovertourist. I think most other ticket brokers are not recommended.

One thing is, since you are staying on-site, you would be able to book "fastpasses" for rides up to 60 days prior to your trip. Those not staying on-site have to wait and book 30 days in advance. So depending on when you are going in August, you might want to get tickets ASAP and make fastpass reservations. There are just a few rides that are really hard to get FPs for (like Mine Train rollercoaster in Magic Kingdom, Frozen Ever After in Epcot) if you wait until inside 30 days. But either way, make sure to get tickets and make fastpass reservations before your actual trip. People who show up at the parks and immediately have to wait in line to buy tickets / reserve fastpasses have to waste a lot of time, and it can really sap the kids' enthusiasm, especially in the August heat.

There are tons of websites with info, but I'd recommend easywdw.com and yourfirstvisit.com, in addition to the site mentioned by KESP. These sites can help you decide how much time you probably want to spend in each park, when to plan breaks, which rides to skip, etc. You will get more detailed answers if you ask questions on disboards, compared to here.

DawgFan2001

Post by DawgFan2001 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:07 am

There are tons of websites with info, but I'd recommend easywdw.com and yourfirstvisit.com,
I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation for easywdw.com! We went in March, and this site helped tremendously in making out trip a success.

SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:21 am

Stay more than 5 nights, especially during summer. It will be hot, which means visiting the parks when they open and then returning to your hotel for the afternoon, before heading back to the parks in the evening. With only 4 park days, the tendency is to push yourself and your family. Plan to do less and you are likely to have a better holiday.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:41 am

It's not a bad plan. My wife plans our Disney trips. It's already booked for next March. We've only bought park tickets direct from the resort. Plan out what you're going to do on what day. You'll need park hopper tickets if you plan on going to multiple parks in a single day.

To/from the hotel you'll be at the whim of the bus schedule, so be prepared to wait. Morning buses aren't always on time and evening/closing time buses get jam packed so you might have to wait for the next one. If I recall, All Star Music is 2nd in order for pick up and 3rd for drop off (of 4 resorts) regardless of the other end of the Bus route.

Book fast passes as soon as possible. We were there this past February (not as crowded) and there were consistent hour plus waits for the "classic" rides like Peter Pan and Pirates of the Caribbean. Mine Train, Rock N Roller coaster, Test Track, and other newer/faster rides were in the neighborhood of 100+ minute wait.

I suggest dining reservations, unless you plan to eat at the cafeteria style places. Our dining reservations are booked 6 months in advance.

jjface

Post by jjface » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:51 am

Did you not buy them when you bought your resort as a package? Other than that you can buy them here https://www.undercovertourist.com/

Apart from the time of year it all sounds great.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:04 am

If you will have a car with you, you want to take note of this: McDonald's, 1596 Buena Vista Drive, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830. From All-Star Music Resort, 0.8 miles, 5 minutes. Trust me, you will be glad to know this after the first time you eat at the resort's restaurant.

We visited Walt Disney World in 1979 and 1986 and just loved it.

We visited it in 2014 and 2015 and just hated it.

Both were multigenerational get-togethers and of course we loved that part. If someone proposes another one I guess we'll attend. But we'll certainly lobby for going somewhere else.

In 2014 we stayed at a suite in Bay Lake Tower--a group member had gotten a deal--and that was fine. Great lodging. In 2015 we stayed at All-Star Sports and found the lodging to be perfectly acceptable. (No in-room coffeemaker, typical Disney stinginess...) Nothing special about the rooms. The themed architecture was mildly amusing, and it was interesting to me to see how Disney tried to create it an "all-star-sports" theme without using any professional sports logos that they might have had to pay money for.

An important detail we had not planned on was that in 2015, because of various budget and schedule constraints, our group was not all together at one hotel, and we discovered that although the Disney transportation system is great hotel-to-theme-park, there is basically no way to get from hotel-to-hotel (except hotel-to-theme-park-to-hotel.) Even if you're willing to take a long walk, the area is not pedestrian-friendly. (That's why we didn't walk to McDonald's!) So there was less group socializing than anticipated. If you are going in a group, you really must all be at the same hotel, unless you have cars.

The big issue is of course crowds. You are never free from the stress of competing with other visitors for everything. You basically don't get to see the good attractions unless you are willing to wait ninety minutes in line OR book ahead with FastPass+, which pretty much kills any spontaneity. FastPass+ is a mess with anything bigger than a nuclear family, because their online booking system resembles a crazy social network with impossibly intricate rules about who can see or change whose reservations. Both years, everything got totally messed up and basically all reservations required someone (NOT usually me) spending half an hour on the phone with Disney.

And you are not aware of just how often rides are shut down until you start using FastPass+, and coordinate your group to all be there at the ride during the reservation time window... and have it be closed. They will do their best to give you a fresh pass to other rides, but what happens then is that a mob of people who had reservations at the closed ride all head for the other ride all at once, and, lo and behold, a block-long line forms at the FastPass+ entrance to the other ride.

P.S. Soarin' (original version, which was, "secretly" Soarin' over California) was fantastic.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

fourkids

Post by fourkids » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:27 am

We went a couple years ago with our 2 oldest kids in June and had a blast. Buy your tickets as soon as possible, because you need to start planning. Go to https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/ to buy your tickets. I highly suggest you buy a tickets for 5 days, because it's not much more than the 3 day ticket, but it gives you flexibility to go to a park and then come back in swim in the afternoon. Skip the Park hopper pass- it's too pricey.

As soon as you buy your tickets, you will get a welcome email, and you can start planning, which is kind of a necessity.
- You can check out the "crowd calendars" on https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-wo ... d-calendar to pick the least crowded days.
- Tentatively plan your schedule based on lowest crowds, something like Monday-Epcot , Tues-Magic Kingdom, Wed- Hollywood S, Thurs- Animal Kingdom, Fri- Magic Kingdom (you'll want a 2nd day there).
- Then, register for your Fast Passes. you get 3 per day. Make them early in the morning if possible, because you can get more after you use the 3 at a kiosk in the park. This can make the difference between waiting 90 minutes for a ride and 10 minutes.
- Then, make dining reservations at the parks. A month ahead, most places are booked, but see what you can get. An hour break for lunch in an air-conditioned restaurant it sooooo worth it. Oh and bring big water bottles, so you don't get dehydrated.
- Skip the dining plan. We had breakfast at the hotel, or granola bars, and brought snacks to the park. Had a big lunch at park, and then were usually back at hotel (off property) for dinner. Can you get a minifridge in your room and stock with snacks? It will help cut costs.

Have fun

fourkids

Post by fourkids » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:41 am

also, you will want to spend at least a full day at Magic Kingdom. We went from 9am-10pm, but went back to the hotel from 2pm-5pm to rest and swim (you can come and go to the park as much as you want).

you only need a half day each at Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, like 8am-2pm. Then swim and relax in the afternoon. On our Epcot day, we went back at 8pm just to see the fireworks show.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:44 am

Soarin' is located on the lower level where the Seasons restaurant is located (recommended for lunch).
On the other side of Season's is the Land of Living boat ride (recommended)
Mission Space - recommend you do this first thing in the morning (located by giant sphere at Epcot) without FastPass the wait will be close to 50 minutes. (If kids are afraid of the dark, skip it - it is pretty dark but ride is slow moving with no sudden movements).
If your kids like Dory - they will want to do the Nemo/Dory boat ride in the clamshell (Epcot) and then head over to the 15 minute interactive exhibit with "Crush" (that will be interesting :wink: - very interactive).
Go to visit Mexico where the countries are located - in the the shop at the back of it, is a ride similar to "it's a small world" only with a Mexican flair and Donald Duck. (recommended).
If you are going to make dinner reservations at one of the restaurants in the countries - plan ahead, the reservations book up months in advance. Don't try to do a "walk-in", can't tell you how many were turned away for lack of space.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

anil686

Post by anil686 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi,

Responding to your questions
1) Very reasonable plan. If you have a smartphone or tablet that you will take to the park - all the Fastpasses can be put on your phone/smartphone now. Sometimes they were crashing (not often) when we were there in June this year. We pretty much did every ride in all the parks in four days - but our family are park warriors and get there when it opens and leave at 10 or 11. However, we were done with most of the busy rides by 3-4 PM each day and on one day rode Aerosmith twice, Tower of Terror twice and did two trips on Toy Story Mania at Hollywood studios by 3 PM - 5 of the six with fast passes and one with waiting in line (TS mania - 45 minutes). The smartphone fastpasses were amazing because when you were done with your allotment by 10:30 or 11:00 AM - you could immediately book another one. If you park hopped - you could book one there without going to the kiosks and no paper.

2) Since you already booked a hotel on site - I would call them and ask the cost to add the tickets. If you are over 30 days out - they can change the reservation without cost or fees - even adding tickets. I think you can even add tickets within 30 days - just not take them off and still get the discounts of a package. I one time messed up and thought I had a park hopper on our trip and we did not - it was not until day 3 that we had used up the tickets and then when I explained to them - they changed our tickets to parkhopper and prorated the cost of the parkhopper.

There are not many discounts for Disneyworld tickets and so comparing them to what you can get online is a good tool. BTW, they are great to talk to on the phone and typically very helpful - the wait to talk to them though can be about 15-20 minutes.

I second everyone else's advice about reading before you go. Also, you can ship water and food to your resort - just google it and the address to ship to for each resort and how to address your label is given on multiple Disney planning websites. I use Amazon Prime pantry to ship water and snacks to the resort versus buying them there.

Full disclosure - I go every year with the family for 5-7 days and like going in June, July or August due to school and I don't mind the heat. I live in the DFW area and as long as we have a lot of water, it does not feel too different than home to us. Hope that helps...

sterlingcooper05

Post by sterlingcooper05 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:03 pm

I don't think 4 days is enough to see the 4 parks, without missing some really fun attractions. If you're interested in any of the stage shows, they have a set time which is restrictive. Here are some attractions and shows I would recommend to anyone...

Animal Kingdom: Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo-The Musical

Magic Kingdom: Splash Mountain, Mickey's Philharmagic, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Enchanted Tales with Belle, Haunted Mansion, Seven Dwarfs Minetrain, Space Mountain, Welcome Show, Wishes Firework Show, Be Our Guest Restaurant

Epcot: Soarin, Test Track, Turtle Talk with Crush, Sevuer Amusant, Illuminations, Living with the Land, World Showcase

Hollywood Studios: The Great Movie Ride, Aerosmith, Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic, Indiana Jones,

You could skip a lot in Epcot if you're not interested in touring the world showcase. Animal Kingdom is fairly small too. If you insist on 4 days, I would recommend a 1 day at MK, 1 day at Hollywood Studios, 1 day at Animal Kingdom/Epcot, 1 day at MK/HS.

cjhud32

Post by cjhud32 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:08 pm

To add to that plan, I highly recommend Sea World. As someone who lives here, it's the only place I go due to the crowds. A few rides, some nice shows, thoroughly enjoyable time. As far as the other parks you mentioned, still a good plan. Just know that it's crowded and hot. May be tough on the kids depending upon age.

If you go to visitorlando.com they typically have tickets on sale.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Agree with everyone that Disney in August will be miserable. I know we did it when I was a kid in the 80s but I dont remember the heat.... Just came back from a beach week in S. FLoriday last month and even that was hot, I would not want to imagine Orlando in Aug.

As an Adult Ive done Disney in January and March (a non school vacation week). Both trips where quite enjoyable. The march trip was most recent about 5 years back with my wife - we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for a 5 day package. jetblue flights, Disney bus transfers and we took all Disney transit. In the morning we took the boat across the lagoon to Magic kingdom and went from there or to the other parks via monorail/bus.

I recall that the crowds in march where not bad at all. We used a lot of fast passes (this was when you got a paper slip, before the switch to wristbands) but many rides you could walk right on if you went early morning or after dinner- March wasn't that crowded. we think of yourselves as fair Disney fans but after 4 days we where bored having done everything at least twice ( in the case of space mountain 6 times).... I cant imagine using up a full 6 days unless you go on every single ride/event or if people are just accounting for the peak season lines.

I do agree with the comment about ride breakdowns. This seems to happen a lot more than it did back in the 80s. Might be a sign of the place aging. We where stuck on at least 2 or 3 rids during the tip, including a 20 minute+ breakdown on spaceship earth.

As far as food, I also agree to skip the meal plans... big ripoff. Everything is expensive and most of the food is so-so for the price... but no where near bad enough to make the golden arches an appealing option IMHO. There is some really fun dining in the Epcot countries but you have to book waaaay ahead.

rob65

Post by rob65 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:29 pm

2nd the advice to just buy the tickets from Disney and the advice on getting Fast passes as soon as possible. Undercovertourist is also a legitimate site. I would avoid anything else.

One correction on the dining plan: You can (and probably should) make reservations ahead of time, but you don't have to. If you do make a reservation at a sit-down restaurant, I think they now need a credit card to hold it and will charge you if you don't show up. Disney constantly changes things like this, so that may or may not still be the case. Disney has 2 or 3 different dining plans, so read carefully and make sure you understand what is included. Edit: I see that several posters have recommended against the dining plan. I can certainly understand that and can see why they would recommend skipping the dining plan. However, if you are going to be eating in the parks or at your hotel anyway, I think the dining plans are worth considering. Again, make sure you understand the plans, what is included, what is not included, and make a decision that works for your individual situation.

This is a trip where you really need to do some advance planning to get the most for your money. Don't be the group that spends 15 minutes after each ride huddled around a map trying to decide what to do next.

Here's a strategy that works for us (YMMV):

We try to get to the park 45 minutes to an hour before it opens to get near the front of the line to get in. At Magic Kingdom, there is a short "show" with characters to open the park (or was the last time we were there) - younger kids will like this. Once the park opens, immediately go to one of the big rides and be one of the first to ride it. The parks will fill quickly, but you can get a lot done in the first couple of hours before it gets too crowded. (Crowded at Disney is a relative term. It's never empty.)

We then go back to the hotel in the afternoon. Go to the pool, rest/nap. We then go back to the park in the late afternoon or early evening. This avoids the worst of the afternoon heat and gives everyone a chance to rest. This works for us, but may not be something everyone wants to do. You might have more stamina than us.

I think buying the Park Hopper option on your tickets is worth it. This allows you to do one park in the morning and a different park at night and makes it easier to take advantage of the "extra magic hours" for on-site guests (usually one park each day opens on hour early for on-site guests or stays open an hour or two later). Again, YMMV.

There are several different Fast Pass strategies. (Google "Disney World FastPass Strategy").

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:56 pm

May I suggest a trip involving Miami, the everglades, and the keys. That's my disney world. My kids enjoyed that much more.

Gill

Post by Gill » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:28 pm

MikeWillRetire wrote:May I suggest a trip involving Miami, the everglades, and the keys. That's my disney world. My kids enjoyed that much more.
Miami?
Gill

Ducky Momo

Post by Ducky Momo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:06 pm

If you have an Ebates account, click on the orbitz link for cashback. Right now Activities (what the DW tickets are classified under if you order through orbitz) is 3.75% cash back. Then through the Orbitz website, you can buy multi-day passes

https://www.orbitz.com/things-to-do/wal ... 08/27/2016

When we bought our disneyland tickets that way we just presented the voucher at the gate to redeem them for tickets.

Have fun!

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Ducky Momo wrote:If you have an Ebates account, click on the orbitz link for cashback. Right now Activities (what the DW tickets are classified under if you order through orbitz) is 3.75% cash back. Then through the Orbitz website, you can buy multi-day passes

https://www.orbitz.com/things-to-do/wal ... 08/27/2016

When we bought our disneyland tickets that way we just presented the voucher at the gate to redeem them for tickets.

Have fun!
Ducky Momo!

Who's the happy time toy toy?

I'm going to subscribe to this thread with my...Subscribinator!!

traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:41 pm

goru1 wrote:Is the following a good plan?
I wouldn't go in August. And I'd plan to have my own car, even if staying at a WDW resort. I would happily consider staying at a non-WDW resort. And I'd look at ways to extend the trip, even if you don't get Disney tickets for the extra days, allowing your family to take a vacation from the vacation.

Assuming you've never been to WDW: you're likely to find some parks more to your taste than others. Some people love Animal Kingdom; some people say it's only worth half a day. Some people love the World Showcase half of EPCOT; some could pass on it very easily. I would be more enthused by a plan that gives you more flexibility to go back to the things you liked most.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:29 pm

It is not the most frugal approach, but we always stay at an "on campus" resort and always buy park-hopper tickets (come and go as you please, any park, any time). You can find deals on line if you search. Do study the various Disney forums already mentioned by others.

Being able to come and go at the parks is so much more flexible and has allowed us to react to unplanned circumstances (weather preventing us getting on a favorite ride on a given day, a celebrity wedding that shut down MK early, etc.)

Personal preference, but I would *never* visit to Florida in August. That said, I would gladly visit a desert climate *any* time of year. I'll take sunny, 112 degrees and bone-dry any day.

Ducky Momo

Post by Ducky Momo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:03 pm

investingdad wrote: Ducky Momo!

Who's the happy time toy toy?

I'm going to subscribe to this thread with my...Subscribinator!!

lol... when your mind goes blank for a new call sign and your kids' show happens to be playing in the background....

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Phineas and Ferb is actually pretty amusing. My kids like it, I do as well.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Just an FYI, you're coming up on prime time hurricane season so consider trip insurance and a plan to evacuate if you get caught on site. In 2004, the eye of a hurricane came over Orlando 3 times. The problem is a storm may be lingering well offshore and you may not know until less the 72 hours where it might make landfall if any.

But if you are all set to go, be sure to see the electric light parade at Magic Kingdom (night). The Epcot fireworks are awesome. And it's real easy to get from the airport (MCO) to the resort, just line up for the Magic Bus, no hassel with cars as Disney transportation is excellent, unless you want to get off property. There's always Uber.

And yes, I lived in Central FL for a few years and August is brutal, be sure to have lots of water with you and good hat. The water parks are a good bet on a sunny day.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

goru1

Post by goru1 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:29 am

What are the cons of keeping it most flexible? I could think of extra cost and non availability of FastPass+.

Book flight as late as possible.
Book only one way flight.
Book Disney value resort as late as possible.
Book resort two days at a time.
Buy Disney park tickets as late as possible.
Buy park tickets two days at a time.
Decide each day to go to park or take a break.
Get to park at 8 am. Take break in the resort for few hours in the afternoon.
Decide return flight date two days in advance.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/#/value
http://www.easywdw.com/easy/magic-kingd ... -priority/

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:59 am

goru1 wrote:What are the cons of keeping it most flexible? I could think of extra cost and non availability of FastPass+.
Okay, I'll add some detail around "extra cost" and some other obvious cons:

--flights will likely be more expensive if you wait until two days prior as suggested
--you won't be able to get discounts on on-property hotel, so you'll be paying full rack rate
--in fact, entire value hotels or all standard rooms in a hotel may be fully booked, so you'll have to get more expensive "premium" rooms
--most of the better restaurants will be fully-booked if you don't make reservations well in advance
--buying park tickets two days at a time doesn't make sense, given Disney's pricing structure. You can buy an initial package and add extra days to tickets during your trip, but that will take extra time at guest services.
--it's tough to decide where to go on the fly; there are simply too many options; so it's better to have a rough plan in advance, and then be flexible with the rough plan

Basically, an unplanned, "flexible" Disney vacation is a recipe for paying twice as much and getting half as much, at best. Better to just go to the beach.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:13 am

We have always bought Disney passes at AAA. There is a deposit but then the balance due is some point in the future. Unlike paying Disney directly.

A week in Disney simply beats one up! We usually drive over to Sarasoa or somewhere for beach and relaxation time.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

goru1

Post by goru1 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:42 am

Is it a good idea to take one day break after each day of park?

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:09 pm

goru1 wrote:Is it a good idea to take one day break after each day of park?
Take an afternoon break each day, then go back to the park in the evening. That is, if you need and/or desire a break. But be aware that a significant chunk of that break may be transportation time.

Disney World is not really the place to be flexible. Despite the number of attractions, the size of the parks and the crowd are working against you. A ride that has a 20 minute wait might have a 45 minute wait by the time it takes you to walk across the park to it. Have a plan. With details like what attractions you absolutely want to get to, and as soon as the park opens you're going to hightail it to a specific ride, what time you're going to stop for lunch, etc. Waking up and then deciding to go to Magic Kingdom means you'll pay the face value price for tickets at the counter and you're almost guaranteed that fast passes for the popular rides are unavailable (they only issue X number per ride per hour). You're also almost guaranteed that sit down restaurants will be booked solid. My next Disney trip is 7+ months away and my wife is already making daily plans including dining and fast passes so that we can officially make those reservations when the window opens.

coachz

Post by coachz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:12 pm

It's a TON of walking. Can you walk 5 miles a day? It can be that.

goru1

Post by goru1 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Is it a good idea to pick Pop Century over All-Star resorts because it has dedicated bus service?

Both Pop Century and Art of Animation have dedicated bus service, which means neither resort shares buses with any other resort. That means that you won’t have to wait on the bus while it travels to other resorts to pick up additional guests and the bus won’t be full from previous pickups.
http://www.easywdw.com/easy/disneybest/ ... t-hotel-2/

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:26 am

fpr4 wrote:
DSInvestor wrote:I would not visit Disney Orlando in August even if you paid me. It might be more comfortable at one of their water parks or take breaks in the pool.
+1

Did disney in june 2 years ago and it was sweltering. Great family memories, but when we go back it will be october-march.
+1

I went in August when I was 8. I still remember how hot and humid it was.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:25 am

I have never experienced a trip to Disney where a sore back and blisters on my feet were not involved!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

coachz

Post by coachz » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:28 am

And SUNBURN

Ninavi

Post by Ninavi » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:30 am

There are lot of good suggestions here. You will get exhausted if you try and do 4 parks in four days.

- I will say skip Epcot, or do it some evening, there is not much to see and lot of walking in direct sunlight. World showcase was boring.
- Animal Kingdom could be done in half a day, it is well shaded in many places, you can start early and close in the afternoon.
- Hollywood Studio is good, not very big, could be a good starting point.
- Magic Kingdom the fireworks are awesome.
- Enjoy the resorts as well.
- Do a rough plan of how you will move around and the attractions you will visit in the park, have lot of flexibility.
- Disney transportation is quite cool, our resort(Port Orleans) had shared transportation, didn’t had any issues, we visited in September.

Scamp

Post by Scamp » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:44 am

Sorry if I cover some ground others have covered but here are my thoughts. We've been 4 times to a Disney park in the last 2 years rather through happenstance. Once on purpose for our kids birthday, one because we got a free beach house with friends, once because of a Canceled flight in LA and once because of company party, so I've gotten kind of good at it.

1) buy the tix from Disney that make it smooth and easy shipping you wrist bands and signing up for FP etc. It's a good experience like apple product. FP is easy unless you try to coordinate with people outside your purchase group like NIsi said.

2) Pay for a TouringPlans account. It's like $20 and gave me way more value. There are established paths that the herds tend to follow in a given park and certain rides have peak times. They help you craft a tour plan through the park to avoid lines as best as possible and send it to your phone. Really it's great. I found their ability to guess line waits through the the day incredibly accurate.

3) get up early. Be at the gate 30-60 min before they open. The first hour of the day you'll ride more stuff than any other 3-4 hour period later in the day. Seriously.

4) I would STRONGLY encourage you think about dropping a day at one of your park picks and going to Universal Studios. I have the fondest memories of Disney as a child. As I reflect back as an adult I found that Disney got the story telling and emotion of the whole experience better than Universal. However when we went with friends and total of three kids, every single kid and 2 of the 4 parents rated Universal as their top park. I had to admit Universal has come a long way since my youth. The rides are probably better on a one for one basis compared to Disney even though the park atmosphere is a step down, except for Harry Potter which they did a great, great job with. Which park to drop? Depends on the ages and interests of your kids. Animal kingdom is the least great park but Hollywood is like a poor Universal copy with a couple great rides, and Epcot holds little interest to you younger kids. You could just park hop one day with some animal kingdom in the morning, a break and then the Hollywood with its show in the evening.

5) you're crazy to go in August but if that's what you got go.

Have fun and don't disown anyone during the inevitable meltdowns. :happy