How do you find a tenant for rental house?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm

How do you find a tenant for rental house?

Post by squirm »

My tenant who is also a close friend of mine bought himself a house. He'll be flying the coupe in regards to our rental house, he's been there for four years. The house he bought isn't far away, he has agreed to be the landlord for the new tenants, since we live over an hour away. I will pay him about $150 a month to collect the rent, make small repairs, and keep an eye on the place. He'll be the person the new tenant calls with questions or issues.

My question, how do you find yourself a good tenant?
jebmke

Re: How do you find a tenant for rental house?

Post by jebmke »

Unless you want to do all the advertising, screening, background checks, credit checks etc yourself I'd suggest listing it with a realtor who handles rentals. That is what we did.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 »

Post online everywhere, have printed flyers out to neighbors, spread the word of mouth in the community etc. Not rocket science, but outcome can not be predicted with any certainty.
Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser »

We sold ours - too many headaches to deal with.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Non7WoodUser wrote:We sold ours - too many headaches to deal with.
We also have sold ours (close in Oct). Good riddance.
orca91

Post by orca91 »

squirm wrote:My tenant who is also a close friend of mine bought himself a house. He'll be flying the coupe in regards to our rental house, he's been there for four years. The house he bought isn't far away, he has agreed to be the landlord for the new tenants, since we live over an hour away. I will pay him about $150 a month to collect the rent, make small repairs, and keep an eye on the place. He'll be the person the new tenant calls with questions or issues.

My question, how do you find yourself a good tenant?
How... hire a property manager to do all that.

If you're going to pay the friend anyway, pay someone who does that all as their job. Too many potential complications with the friend getting tired of midnight calls, doing repairs on his time, dealing with a bad tenant, etc.... also puts the friendship at risk potentially over disagreements or not seeing eye to eye on what all his responsibilities are. YOU would still be the landlord... he would be your employee. Doesn't sound like you're looking at that clearly.

Or, sell as others have said. I was an out of state landlord and hired a property manager. I sold last year and got out while I could.
emoore

Post by emoore »

Non7WoodUser wrote:We sold ours - too many headaches to deal with.
Well that's not really helpful to the question.

We listed it on Craigslist but the best was just a sign in the front yard.
Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm »

Thank you to those who have actually answered the question.
My supervisor had good luck using Zillow (I think) for his rental. Anyone else use Zillw? Never thought about using Craigslist.
Regarding using my friend to be the landlord I'm not worried about that, he'll do just fine.

I like the idea of using a listing agency. Is it a one time fee?
Good idea on the sign, we'll get that going.
JPH

Post by JPH »

I have no personal experience with renting a house or apartment. However, someone once told me that a good way to screen tenants is to examine their car when they come to view the apartment. If their car is trashed, then they are likely to be the sort of people that would trash an apartment. One of my son's girlfriends had a car with a missing back seat. That area was being used as a place to toss her empty beer bottles. I would not want to rent to her.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
hand

Post by hand »

I've had good luck with Zillow and a sign in the window/ yard.

While it may seem attractive to delegate (at a cost) to a realtor, screening tenants to find one you're willing to trust with your really expensive real-estate is too important in my opinion to trust to someone else. Even worse, most "someone elses" are incented to fill a vacancy with as few showings as possible, rather than with the best quality tenant.

As an aside, the one realtor I worked with regarding rentals had some boilerplate listing language which was incredibly unfair to the owner - if you do list, make sure you review the listing contract!!!
travellight

Post by travellight »

I found Zillow to be very effective. It ends up being posted on many different sites such as hot pads and Rentler.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

We just relocated, so I'll tell you how we went about searching for a home.

We naturally gravitated to Zillow because they allow searches for rentals. Redfin, unfortunately, does not.
We ended up finding our home on Craigslist. It offered a nice search feature for people looking for a certain zip code, price, # BRs, etc. And an easy to use contact feature.

Zillow actually allows people to create a profile of themselves, so when you get a message from someone interested in your home, if that person has filled out the profile, you get to learn a lot right off the bat.

Hope that helps!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
WJW

Post by WJW »

I use Craigslist with pictures, address and all info about the rental, along a with a nice lawn sign. Craigslist gives you a layer of privacy prior to giving out your email and/or phone number. Always confirm your appointments, seems to be a lot of no-shows for rental showings.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

hand wrote:I've had good luck with Zillow and a sign in the window/ yard.

While it may seem attractive to delegate (at a cost) to a realtor, screening tenants to find one you're willing to trust with your really expensive real-estate is too important in my opinion to trust to someone else. Even worse, most "someone elses" are incented to fill a vacancy with as few showings as possible, rather than with the best quality tenant.

As an aside, the one realtor I worked with regarding rentals had some boilerplate listing language which was incredibly unfair to the owner - if you do list, make sure you review the listing contract!!!
You still have the ability to review applicants that get past the realtor screen. But I sure don't want to hassle with the credit check and the criminal background checks etc. Plus, in our case, it is a condo in an area that is a target market for renters so renters often go through realtor listings to find places to live.
daveatca

All real estate is local

Post by daveatca »

In my neighborhood:
1. list it on NextDoor.com
2. Sign in front yard.

For my neighbor, I created a website, http://www.3963utica.com , to help her rent it.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

I just listed it on zillow for free and it got automatically fed to other sites. I got all the responses to see the house and I scheduled a bunch of them at a time. I got to see all the potential applicants before I provided them the applications. I informally interviewed them before the official interview and application. I chose the best I wanted and didn't mind going a little below market rent for the tenant I wanted, and I am happy so far. I am hoping they would keep renting from me for many years to come.
Gleops2

Post by Gleops2 »

My friend has a two family rental building ...BEFORE the contract is drawn up ( the rental agreement when you finally do find a tenant) he took photos of every room for condition BEFORE the tenant moved in, burned a CD, and gave the tenant a copy with the lease. Make sure it's clearly dated, or has a newspaper in each frame ( a USA today) to provide proof of when pix were taken.

Make sure to photo any obvious defects too, that are there BEFORE the tenant takes occupancy.

Don't forget to include the yard, exterior and garage if so equipped. And be crystal clear, in writing, about pets. If you will allow pets though your contract says no, be sure that both parties initial the clause in the contract.

Suggest/Insist they get renters insurance.

Visit landlord.com for some eye opening horror stories.

Hope this helps.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

I use Zillow rental manager and it has worked well. We just placed 2 tenants in a recently rehabbed duplex. We had over 400 inquiries in 2 weeks.

Use MySmartMove.com to do proper tenant vetting. They check eviction, background, and credit for $35.

Typically, we have a standard "minimum" requirement that we place in the zillow advertisement. This will let the potential tenant know the requirements before they waste your time.

Then, we typically have one open house and tell any prospects they can visit and receive a rental application.

We review the application and then send the tenant an email through mysmartmove.com, which handles the background check.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Just Craigslist. Last time I rented it out, a few years ago, I had many applicants, had my pick of several well-qualified applicants, and rented it quickly.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
denovo

Post by denovo »

squirm wrote: My question, how do you find yourself a good tenant?
You got a lot of non-responsive replies, let me try to give you a good one.

1. Have some pictures taken and post an ad through Zillow Rental Manager. It's free. It cross-posts to a bunch of other sites automatically. The only big site it doesn't automatically post to is Craigslist, but it instructs you how to take your ad and post there. Be short, but succinct in your ad. Rent, security deposit, tenant vs landlord responsibilities for utilities and the lawn, etc.

2. Comb through Zillow and see rental listings in your market. Figure out the market value, and I would place it at 5 percent below market value. Why? To make sure you get a huge number of people so you can be selective and pick the very best tenant. I would put two open house dates in your ad. One weekend afternoon and one weekday evening. Don't bother making 20 different appointments with 20 different people. If they want your place and are serious, they can make time and make one of your 2 scheduled open houses.

3. At open house, give them a copy of a rental application. I'll PM you what I use. Put an e-mail address so they can e-mail it back to you.

Wait until two days after the second open house and review all the applications together.

Run a background check/credit report/eviction check via https://www.mysmartmove.com/ You don't have to worry about handling money, they pay the screening site directly. and you will get a report when they are done filling everything out.

So how do you make sure you are picking the right tenant?

1. MySmartMove will screen red flags like evictions and major delinquencies.

2. Read the application. Make sure they have a good income that can support the rent you are demanding. I ask for 1.5-2 months security deposit. That screens out people who don't have their life together. Call their current and previous landlord, along with their employer as a reference check.

3. How does the person interact you? When they call about the listing are they asking questions that are clearly answered in the ad? When they come to the unit, are they trying to make a fuss over every little thing they see? Are they complaining about the security deposit? Making an excuse for sending you the application on time or providing paystubs?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
denovo

Post by denovo »

squirm wrote: Regarding using my friend to be the landlord I'm not worried about that, he'll do just fine.
Good idea on the sign, we'll get that going.
Just wondering, in this last 4 years when they have been repairs, how did you deal with it? Did you let your tenant find someone and make the decision on what to repair, how much to pay, and have him deduct it from the rent? It's relevant to a follow-up suggestion I had.
denovo

Post by denovo »

renue74 wrote:I use Zillow rental manager and it has worked well. We just placed 2 tenants in a recently rehabbed duplex. We had over 400 inquiries in 2 weeks.

Use MySmartMove.com to do proper tenant vetting. They check eviction, background, and credit for $35.

Typically, we have a standard "minimum" requirement that we place in the zillow advertisement. This will let the potential tenant know the requirements before they waste your time.

Then, we typically have one open house and tell any prospects they can visit and receive a rental application.

We review the application and then send the tenant an email through mysmartmove.com, which handles the background check.
This is literally exactly what I do. Small world.
denovo

Post by denovo »

jebmke wrote:

You still have the ability to review applicants that get past the realtor screen. But I sure don't want to hassle with the credit check and the criminal background checks etc.
I agree with hand. What hassle is there to run a check these days when everything is online. Running a background check through mysmartmove is the easiest thing on Earth.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

I used a realtor. The only thing I had to do was final tenant selection. She took pictures, advertised, showed the house, took applications, screened them, ran credit reports, and whittled it down to a few final candidates and made a recommendation on which to pick. It was about 2 weeks from signing a contract with her to signing a lease agreement. Tenants have been great. Been there for 3 years and just signed a 4 year extension. Well worth the fee of 1 month's rent.
EasilyConfused

Post by EasilyConfused »

I own several rental properties. I find tenants 3 ways:

1. Craigslist
2. Sign in the yard
3. If it's a neighborhood full of homeowners, I ask the neighbors if they know any good potential tenants. They don't want me bringing deadbeat weirdos into the neighborhood so they have incentive to find me someone good. Plus this way I get friendly with a few of the locals so they won't feel bashful about calling me if someone is trashing the house.

On screening -- My minimum income requirement is 3x the rent. I pay for an Internet criminal history/eviction report and call previous landlords, but social media is God's gift to tenant screening. When I get applications from potential tenants, the first thing I do is look up their Facebook pages. If they seem like dirtbags, I pass. I don't even bother with credit reports anymore, and I haven't had one serious problem tenant since everyone started recording their entire lives for all the world to see.

Oh, and make sure you get all the move-in money up front. Anybody who asks "can you work with me on the deposit?" is someone you're probably going to have to chase down for rent checks more often than you'd like. I require a full first month's rent payment and a security deposit that is around 125% of a month's rent to move in.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

I love the lady who manages my mother's house for me. She told me, when deciding whom to rent to, don't say anything, just let them talk. The ones that blabber on and on are the ones you don't want. You'll know the quality ones by listening to them.
westie

Post by westie »

Is it in a location where using airbnb is an option instead of year round rental? Wife and I have a vacant townhouse in a East Coast beachy area. Put a sign in the yard to sell it, no luck. Listed it on airbnb June 29th. We have over 12K of confirmed rentals in July and August. We still have Labor Day holiday weekend available.
10YearPlan

Post by 10YearPlan »

I am a new landlord, so still getting used to what works and what doesn't. For my rental, I used Zillow and sign in the yard and received a lot of inquiries but many of them were looking several months out, and I wanted to rent the place asap.

I did individual appointments for the truly interested, and I wish I had thought about the open house concept suggested here. We had a lot of no-shows with the individual appts and wasted a lot of time as a result. I had about 5 people take the application but only 2 returned it. At the time, we had a lot of other inventory on the market, so I am guessing those folks had other options. All in all, the process to find new tenants took me about 2 weeks.
white_water

Post by white_water »

Get references from their last TWO landlords.
Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm »

All, some really good suggestions. I'm glad the latter messages stayed on topic. I appreciate those.

I tried to look at mysmartmove. The website is blank with some broken links below. I believe it's a browser issue, not a website issue. I tried it on Firefox and IE11. Still didn't work. Anyone else having this issue? - Nevermind, appears to be working today. Great suggestions here, never even knew that website was available.

To the person who asked about my tenant regarding repairs. He just did the repairs himself. Me and him are both extremely handy and skilled with this type of work. Regarding the costs, it just depended on how long the repairs would take and what kind of repair. A recent fridge water leak happened. We had to tear up part of the glue down hardwood floor (around the kitchen) I installed myself years ago. That was a full days work for both of us. I gave him $200 rent credit.
Last edited by squirm on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

white_water wrote:Get references from their last TWO landlords.
This, and you have to make sure the "references" they provide are legitimate landlords and not just their cousin posing as one. If they are in default with their current landlord (re: behind on rent) the landlord may paint an artificially rosy picture of the tenant in order to get rid of them and unload them on you. Also you have to make sure their stated employment is legitimate, and not just George Costanza posing as Vandelay Industries. Bad tenants will try every trick in the book to get into an apartment they are not qualified for.

Having a realtor obtain a tenant is an option, but in my area the customary fee for this is equivalent to one months' rent. When I was a landlord 10+ years ago, most of us advertised in the local newspaper. These days it seems craigslist is the way to go in my area.
Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm »

Cherokee8215 wrote:
white_water wrote:Get references from their last TWO landlords.
not just George Costanza posing as Vandelay Industries.
Love that!
Thanks for the message.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Had a duplex for about 20 years. I also had good luck with a sign on the front lawn, and by far the cheapest way. My place was in a rural area with few rentals, so I found tenants quickly who usually had strong local ties. Some of my best tenants were single moms, even when they had lower income. They paid timely because they wanted to guarantee a long term stable situation for children in school.

When the boyfriend moved in, sometimes it changed. Make sure you clearly state that all adults living in the property must be on the lease. I once had to evict the tenant's brother who stayed in the property after the tenant left.

Best of luck,
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

+1

OP - I strongly recommend that you get this book. It was very informative and includes some very helpful templates for rental agreements, permission to run a background check etc. (I found it only after having 2 problem tenants). It sounds like you are essentially a neophyte landlord - renting to a good friend does not present the same issues as a typical tenant. Be sure and do a thorough background check - I joined a service that would run the credit/background check for me. Don't assume that people are basically honest - they could have asked a friend to pose as their previous landlord.

Personally I would stay away from Craigslist with a 10-foot pole. They might attract legitimate candidates, but they could also attract bottom feeders. My guess is that Zillow would tend to have a better percentage of qualified renters who are seriously looking for a house to rent. But I would maximize word of mouth advertising and let your friends, coworkers, and neighbors know that the house will be available to rent soon.

I would also consider whether or not this is a good time to sell the house IF you became a landlord because of the need to relocate (i.e., the house was previously your primary residence) and not because you intentionally wanted to start a side business. It isn't typical to go 4 years with the same tenant.

EDITED to add: In my neighborhood, houses are selling like hotcakes, for more than listing price in a week or so and with all cash offers. It is definitely a seller's market AT THIS MOMENT, but if you are living in the home, you have to find somewhere else to live. As a landlord, that wouldn't be an issue, so you could take advantage or a real estate bubble. (It is a lot more complicated to sell when you have a tenant).
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

I helped a ladyfriend find renters for her townhome. After the third-in-a-row applicant said to me, "At what point do I tell you about my felony convictions?", I begged off helping her with it anymore.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
white_water

Post by white_water »

In a tourist town with a young, hard partying workforce, I listed my rental instead with the local school district. Got new-to-town teachers and it worked out well.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

We let the Only do this since rental is in his city, Seattle. We are absentee landlords not in same state. He didn't have any problems using Craigslist. Had it rented in a week's time with vetting. We rely on his good graces to handle any problems-this will be his inheritance while we collect the rents.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

cherijoh wrote: OP - I strongly recommend that you get this book. )
I own a copy and relied on it heavily during my landlord days, it is a good book, very practical. Some of it may be slightly outdated now but the basic concepts presented make it a good investment for any landlord.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Our son, the PM, does it. If he picks a bad tenant, he gets to clean up the mess. He's unpaid but will inherit. :D
We just want to see the rent deposited in the bank :greedy

He (PM) uses Zillow/craigslist portals. He has a nice questionaire. Small application fee for those interested. No pets. Does credit check. Interviews. The rents are not low-end (Seattle) and are $2200-3600/mn nor in low value neighborhoods. We have a small nut for these rentals so we can be slightly under the market.
Last edited by itstoomuch on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo