What's up with 4K tv? Should I buy one?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JonnyDVM

What's up with 4K tv? Should I buy one?

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:25 pm

I need to stock a new house with TVs. I only have one and I need four more. I thought no stations broadcast in 4K yet and thus it didn't make sense to buy 4K, but now I'm being pressured to buy at least one by a friend. I don't want to feel dumb three years down the line for not buying 4K but they are twice as expensive. Any opinions? FWIW I'm looking at getting a 60', 55' and two 40's. Was going to do Samsung smart LCD tvs 1080p. Good deal at Costco.

The 60' will be my main football watching tv. Should I be without question paying double for 4K? :confused
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

Toons

Re: What's up with 4K tv? Should I buy one?

Post by Toons » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:28 pm

Yes ,
Get 5 Samsung 4k tvs.
One 60 inch and whatever else you need for the house.
Pay cash.
Enjoy :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Post by 123 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Will you be using any pay-tv services (cable, satellite, web streaming) and do they provide (or plan to provide soon) any 4k programming?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:48 pm

If you like paying twice as much for a technology that has very little content, then yes. Otherwise just buy a normal TV and enjoy it.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:49 pm

123 wrote:Will you be using any pay-tv services (cable, satellite, web streaming) and do they provide (or plan to provide soon) any 4k programming?
Good question. I have Direct TV. Not sure what their plan is for 4K.

masteraleph

Post by masteraleph » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Depends on how often you buy new TVs. For the moment, they're not really offering anything special, unless you play computer games on a TV (and I'm being specific about computer games, since no current console supports 4k, though there are rumors that the next generation will). Will someone probably start broadcasting in 4k? At some point, but that could be 2, 3, 4 years down the line. If you would be likely to replace your TV 4, 5, 6 years down the road, then 1080p should be fine. If you'd go 10 or more years, you might want it.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:52 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:
123 wrote:Will you be using any pay-tv services (cable, satellite, web streaming) and do they provide (or plan to provide soon) any 4k programming?
TV channels aren't even broadcast in 1080p yet (it's all 1080i or 720p). I doubt any of them will jump to 4k anytime soon.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:54 pm

vitaflo wrote:If you like paying twice as much for a technology that has very little content, then yes. Otherwise just buy a normal TV and enjoy it.
I really don't enjoy paying double for stuff. Also, we have a lot of furnishings to buy. So I really want to go good quality, but not super high end if you know what I mean. Hence the Samsung 1080 Smart TVs. That being said I don't want to be mad at myself in 3 or 4 years because I didn't pay for a 4K TV if they are obviously far superior to regular 1080 HD. IDK, to me 1080 is pretty freaking clear already.

And no I'm not a gamer although I do enjoy making the occasional reference to Mario Kart and Tecmo Bowl.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:57 pm

vitaflo wrote:
JonnyDVM wrote:
TV channels aren't even broadcast in 1080p yet (it's all 1080i or 720p). I doubt any of them will jump to 4k anytime soon.
Ok, that's sort of where I was at: 5- 7 years down the road maybe. Of course I'll have an argument with my wife about it then. She'll say what we have is good enough. Future me is already shaking his head.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:00 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:
vitaflo wrote:If you like paying twice as much for a technology that has very little content, then yes. Otherwise just buy a normal TV and enjoy it.
I really don't enjoy paying double for stuff. Also, we have a lot of furnishings to buy. So I really want to go good quality, but not super high end if you know what I mean. Hence the Samsung 1080 Smart TVs. That being said I don't want to be mad at myself in 3 or 4 years because I didn't pay for a 4K TV if they are obviously far superior to regular 1080 HD. IDK, to me 1080 is pretty freaking clear already.

And no I'm not a gamer although I do enjoy making the occasional reference to Mario Kart and Tecmo Bowl.
If you watch TV channels a 4k TV will look exactly like a 1080p HDTV. For example, ESPN is broadcast in 720p. Having extra resolution on your TV does nothing for that. It's all just upscaled. It's even upscaled on a 1080p HDTV.

Now for your concern about being mad at yourself in 3-4 years. Lets say in 4 years 4k takes off, every station is broadcasting in 4k (not likely at all). 4k TV's will be as expensive as a 1080p one today, and will have all the bugs ironed out of them and be of better quality. There ya go, you just spend what you would have spent on a 4k TV today, spread across two purchases and have a better TV in 4 years. Win-win.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:00 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (TV).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Post by 123 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:06 pm

It looks like Direct TV has one 4K channel available. From their website: "DIRECTV is the first pay TV provider to bring you a dedicated 4K Ultra HD channel, available 24/7. Tune in to see travel shows, nature documentaries, and original series, in stunning 4K Ultra HD1"

Don't know what they charge for it or what programming schedule they offer on it.

I know Comcast cable had a 3D channel available for a time. I think that 4K will have more legs then 3D.

The Direct TV website cautions "You need a manufacturer-certified DIRECTV 4K Ready TV. If your 4K Ultra HD TV is not DIRECTV Ready, you’ll need to connect it to a 4K Genie Mini (Model C61K)."
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:43 pm

i'd probably get HD and not 4K due to lack of content. then i'd take the savings and use some of it on an 80 and not a 60. i've got a 65 and regret not spending the extra bucks to get an 80.

you could compromise and get the 80 in a 4K and the others in HD.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:52 pm

What's the cost difference between 1080p and 4K for the sets you are looking at? If it's $100 or so I'd go for it. I think the 4K TVs do have some benefits even for 1080p in that they tend to have better color, black levels, etc. But I wouldn't pay $500 more for a 4K TV compared to a great 1080p set when there is so little 4K content available and the price is bound to come down. The displays are bound to get better, too.

Edited to add: I wish Cable provides would at least offer 1080p! I guess Netflix offers some 4K content.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:27 pm

I just went through the same scenario with 5 TVs in a new house. My one big TV is 85" and it's 4k because, well, just because. I use a Roku 4 to watch movies which can upscale to 4k. The picture looks great regardless. I have read online reviews that say 4k is not worth it until your screen gets above a certain size (I can't remember).
JonnyDVM wrote: Ok, that's sort of where I was at: 5- 7 years down the road maybe. Of course I'll have an argument with my wife about it then. She'll say what we have is good enough. Future me is already shaking his head.
If you ever get divorced, give me her number...

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:57 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:That being said I don't want to be mad at myself in 3 or 4 years because I didn't pay for a 4K TV if they are obviously far superior to regular 1080 HD. IDK, to me 1080 is pretty freaking clear already.
Don't worry about 3 or 4 years from now, by then the prices for 4k will have dropped like a rock as the latest gimic (3D TV, curved TV, etc.) becomes the "it" thing to have.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:21 am

JonnyDVM wrote:I need to stock a new house with TVs. I only have one and I need four more. I thought no stations broadcast in 4K yet and thus it didn't make sense to buy 4K, but now I'm being pressured to buy at least one by a friend. I don't want to feel dumb three years down the line for not buying 4K but they are twice as expensive. Any opinions? FWIW I'm looking at getting a 60', 55' and two 40's. Was going to do Samsung smart LCD tvs 1080p. Good deal at Costco.

The 60' will be my main football watching tv. Should I be without question paying double for 4K? :confused
Nobody in the USA broadcasts 4k yet. The ATSC 1.0 standard will not accomodate the bitrate within the allotted 6 MHz channel width.

I've worked in the industry for 40 years, 37 of them in television engineering. My advice would be to hold off buying anything 4k for now. The reason is that 4k transmission will require the pending ATSC 3.0 standard, and since the standard has not yet been finalized, I'd be amazed if any 4k TVs out there today had a tuner built into them that would receive and decode it. And from what I've read, ATSC 3.0 will not be backward-compatible with 1.0, so you'd end up having to purchase new TVs at 3.0 inauguration anyway.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:22 am

toofache32 wrote:I just went through the same scenario with 5 TVs in a new house. My one big TV is 85" and it's 4k because, well, just because. I use a Roku 4 to watch movies which can upscale to 4k. The picture looks great regardless. I have read online reviews that say 4k is not worth it until your screen gets above a certain size (I can't remember).
JonnyDVM wrote: Ok, that's sort of where I was at: 5- 7 years down the road maybe. Of course I'll have an argument with my wife about it then. She'll say what we have is good enough. Future me is already shaking his head.
If you ever get divorced, give me her number...
Hah. Yes, I've decided I'm actually the less frugal one of the two of us which is saying something. We did somehow both decide on a house that's initially feeling way too big. Hopefully that feeling will go away once it's no longer empty and filled with TVs.

The main viewing spaces, especially in the basement area are above fireplaces. The space is really only suitable for a 55' from an aesthetic standpoint according to the tape measure. I'm planning on slipping a 60' in there and hoping she doesn't notice. The only way to go larger than that wothout it looking totally ridiculous would be to flip the basement layout around or turn what's been tabbed as a playroom into a media room. I've already won the pool table/foosball table discussion. I'm not about to try to annex my little girls future playroom. Plus it'll be easy access to the bar fridge as currently envisioned :beer. So 60' is my cap.

So it sounds like for now it's OK to go with my original plan for 1080p. Then when 4K takes the world over I'll consider upgrading. Will be buying everything this week. Now I just need help with the stereo receiver...

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:03 am

JonnyDVM wrote: So it sounds like for now it's OK to go with my original plan for 1080p. Then when 4K takes the world over I'll consider upgrading. Will be buying everything this week. Now I just need help with the stereo receiver...
Do people still buy "receivers"? I use the Sonos speaker system and absolutely love it. They have a soundbar that can go with your TV although I have not used it. The speakers sound really really good and are connected by wifi. Your friends can download the app on their phone and play their music on your speakers.

Angelus359

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:11 am

you might want some sound setup that doesn't require constant turning on a second box manually
IT-DevOps System Administrator

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:23 am

I'll throw out some questions to help you make decisions.

Have you looked at a 1080P and 4k of the same size, with the same input AND THE SAME SETTINGS side by side. It is a very old ploy for stores to put the 2 side by side so customers can see the difference. Problem is.....you won't see any difference. So they mess with the settings of the 1080P just enough where you do see a difference.

This has been going on for years. I first discovered this when looking at my first HDTV, a huge Sony CRT 16 years ago. The "last year's model" looked horrible compared to the new one. I grabbed the controllers and went through the settings one by one and set them all the same, saved and what do you know? They looked exactly the same.

My son works for Best Buy and he's yet to find anyone who can tell the difference in his store between 4k and 1080P.

I have HD cable service. It's 720P.

The best thing about 4k is that it helps to drop 1080P prices. You can also get discounts on Insignia TVs at Best Buy (store brand) and ask if any of the display units can be bought cheaper. Why? When they're being replaced, the old ones are thrown out. Yah, I think it's crazy too, but that's what they do.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:32 am

I'd say pass on the 4k for now. Some major networks still broadcast in 720p. Doubt if they will make the major jump to 4k anytime soon. Remember 3d TV? Newest and greatest technology but little content. Sort of faded away.

So, why would you want to pay a premium price for 4k now with little content available? If 4k takes off the sets price will drop dramatically in a few years. That's the time to buy one.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

Five Scoop

Post by Five Scoop » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:38 am

Have a 65 inch Samsung 4K. The difference in picture quality compared to 1080p is noticeable and is amazing. It looks like you are looking at something outside your window. The issue of course is the limited amount of content in 4K. Netflix has a decent selection (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Marco Polo, and I think most Netflix produced content). Amazon Prime also has a decent number of shows. For live TV and sports events there really isn't anything I'm aware of. 4K is not a necessity but there is a certain "wow" factor to having it and it really is amazing how much more detail you can see and how that changes the level of enjoyment of the programming. Nobody needs a 4K TV. Nobody needs a Rolex. But, if it brings enjoyment and doesn't hurt you financially I would go for it.

NightFall

Post by NightFall » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:47 am

Personally I would by a 1080p non-smart TV and get a chromecast if you want streaming features. Smart tvs have a significant premium over regular tvs. Plus, this hardware/software is usually outdated quickly. I'd rather replace a $35 stick than a $1000 TV. As others noted, there is little to no content that uses 4k right now.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:03 am

I'm also rather skeptical of the advantage of 4K. However OLED is a different story. I think that it really makes a difference in picture quality.

Pricing is high since the technology is new, but take a look at least.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:15 am

Personally I can see the encoding artifacts on a 1040i signal.* So the limit is not the screen, it's the transmission. A 4k signal downgraded to a 1040i TV would look better, assuming they make use of the bandwidth. OTOH there is plenty of room for better encoding completely within the current standard if the producers want to throw some CPU time at it. Improvements to the standards are also possible within the current bandwidth (although backward compatibility would be a problem.) But of course neither of these would sell TVs.

* All the sharp edges look like they are crawling with ants. If I sit at the recommended 1.6 x diagonal distance it makes my skin crawl. Also slow pans are truly ghastly.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:17 am

I would only buy a 4K TV if I had a fast enough Internet connection to stream the new 4K content from Netflix or Amazon. There is far less of a price premium on medium-sized 4K sets than I would have expected.

We don't watch too much TV in the living room, where we currently have a 40" 1080p set. So even though we just got gigabit Internet--which is amazing!--I haven't rushed to buy a 4K TV. But I would guess that we will by Christmas 2017. By then, there will be more content and even less of a premium on 55-60" 4K sets.

(I have a 29" 4K Samsung computer monitor that I love. At the 2' that I sit from the screen, the picture is amazing. But while it's great for photography and spreadsheets, there is even less 4K video content available on computers. Neither Netflix nor Amazon allow 4K streaming to computers because of security/piracy concerns.)

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:19 am

Five Scoop wrote:Have a 65 inch Samsung 4K. The difference in picture quality compared to 1080p is noticeable and is amazing. It looks like you are looking at something outside your window. The issue of course is the limited amount of content in 4K. Netflix has a decent selection (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Marco Polo, and I think most Netflix produced content). Amazon Prime also has a decent number of shows. For live TV and sports events there really isn't anything I'm aware of. 4K is not a necessity but there is a certain "wow" factor to having it and it really is amazing how much more detail you can see and how that changes the level of enjoyment of the programming. Nobody needs a 4K TV. Nobody needs a Rolex. But, if it brings enjoyment and doesn't hurt you financially I would go for it.
Vudu apparently has some movies in 4k as well.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:34 am

one thing to consider, and i'll let someone else do the math.

for the most part your 4k content is going to come via streaming. 4k takes a lot more data than HD, which just may put you over the internet data caps, which means a monthly surcharge on your bill. so if ya watch a lot of netflix or prime...

this was a precaution clark howard made on his show.

SeekingFI

Post by SeekingFI » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:35 am

As others have said, a 1080p set is likely the best value. The vast majority of HD broadcast network content is 720p or 1080i while DVD/streamed movies are commonly 1080p. While I have a 4k subscription with Netflix, I watch a grand total of one show broadcast in 4k. By the time the 4k content catalog expands dramatically, a 4k set purchased today will be long dead.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:58 am

I'm still trying to wrap my head around needing five TV's. We have one that we barely watch. I can't imagine what the other four would be for.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:10 am

I concur with the above post. 5 TVs!
Obviously not a cost issue for you. Just whether or not you will feel bad in 3-4 years. Usually electronics come down in price, but since you want to be first kid on the block you need to get it now.
I say buy them. There is no sense at all in the first world to not have an eye on a TV in every room at every minute. Think of what you could miss.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:58 am

Agree with others 1080p is great. Upgrade to 4K later when programming catches up. Use the cost difference on your audio equipment and streaming boxes in case the smart TV features aren't that great. We use Apple TV and Roku 3 and can recommend both. Note that Apple TV does not support Amazon Video but works great with iPhone, iPad, Mac, netflix, hulu, PBS etc. Roku supports Amazon Video. We have Sonos speakers (Play 1 $200, Play 5 $500) and love them. Sonos makes sound bars and a sub too.

4K TVs will not be more expensive in 3-4 years.
Wiki

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:40 am

miles monroe wrote:one thing to consider, and i'll let someone else do the math.

for the most part your 4k content is going to come via streaming. 4k takes a lot more data than HD, which just may put you over the internet data caps, which means a monthly surcharge on your bill. so if ya watch a lot of netflix or prime...

If you live in a horrible, noncompetitive internet market. Ick.

I can't imagine having an internet connection fast enough to stream 4K video and having a data cap. Our gigabit fiber service from the phone company in Cincinnati is uncapped. The slower internet plans over fiber or copper are also uncapped. And Time Warner's local competitive internet offerings are uncapped. Both companies offer TV, internet, and phone service and are punching each other in the teeth to acquire/retain customers. The first one to introduce a data cap would get slaughtered. (Disclosure: I work for the phone company.)

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:44 pm

jhfenton wrote:
miles monroe wrote:one thing to consider, and i'll let someone else do the math.

If you live in a horrible, noncompetitive internet market. Ick.

I can't imagine having an internet connection fast enough to stream 4K video and having a data cap. Our gigabit fiber service from the phone company in Cincinnati is uncapped. The slower internet plans over fiber or copper are also uncapped. And Time Warner's local competitive internet offerings are uncapped. Both companies offer TV, internet, and phone service and are punching each other in slthe teeth to acquire/retain customers. The first one to introduce a data cap would get slaughtered. (Disclosure: I work for the phone company.)
comcast or telephone company dsl.

i live in one of the test markets where comcast first started using a cap as a test. once you exceed a certain level they surcharge an extra $10 for each additional amount of data used. i monitored it a few months but i never came close to exceeding the cap so i've ignored it since then.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:01 pm

NightFall wrote:Personally I would by a 1080p non-smart TV and get a chromecast if you want streaming features. Smart tvs have a significant premium over regular tvs.
We're in the market for a new TV. Unless you want to go with a totally off-brand, we're finding that it is difficult to find a set that isn't a smart TV.

dongrussell

Post by dongrussell » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:03 pm

I think the most important consideration may have nothing to do with the 4k capabilities at all. The 4k sets are likely to have the latest features, especially HDR (high dynamic range), which allows for much more accurate color rendition. The 1080p sets have designs probably left over from previous years' models.

Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:09 pm

toofache32 wrote:
JonnyDVM wrote: So it sounds like for now it's OK to go with my original plan for 1080p. Then when 4K takes the world over I'll consider upgrading. Will be buying everything this week. Now I just need help with the stereo receiver...
Do people still buy "receivers"? I use the Sonos speaker system and absolutely love it. They have a soundbar that can go with your TV although I have not used it. The speakers sound really really good and are connected by wifi. Your friends can download the app on their phone and play their music on your speakers.
People who have high end home theaters do. Your idea of really good probably greatly differs from mine.

Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:11 pm

And, to answer the original question, I would not buy a 4K TV yet simply because there's almost zero content available. I'm an early adopter, I always have been, but this technology is just not worth paying a premium for.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:19 pm

It's no longer twice the price unless you go with some of the top end.

Here are a couple that are about $100-$150 more than 1080
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-49-class ... Id=4973301
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-50-cl ... Id=5238200

If you going to be watching videos; a 4k DVD player should be out soon. NetFlix does or will shortly be offering 4k.
If I were replacing now; I would go 4k. One big factor is viewing distance. Unless you are within a certain distance of the TV
you mayl not notice the difference between 1080 and 4k.
Here is a chart.
http://referencehometheater.com/2013/co ... alculator/
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-res ... g-compared

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-resol ... 153517.htm

moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:26 pm

There's a distinction between OTA and cable based transmission. OTA is typically VSB and cable is 256-QAM (sometimes 64-QAM). Very few people receive OTA directly in their homes, so stations broadcasting in 4k is a moot point.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Five Scoop wrote:Have a 65 inch Samsung 4K. The difference in picture quality compared to 1080p is noticeable and is amazing. It looks like you are looking at something outside your window. The issue of course is the limited amount of content in 4K. Netflix has a decent selection (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Marco Polo, and I think most Netflix produced content). Amazon Prime also has a decent number of shows. For live TV and sports events there really isn't anything I'm aware of. 4K is not a necessity but there is a certain "wow" factor to having it and it really is amazing how much more detail you can see and how that changes the level of enjoyment of the programming. Nobody needs a 4K TV. Nobody needs a Rolex. But, if it brings enjoyment and doesn't hurt you financially I would go for it.
+1 I have the 65 inch Samsung 4K as well. It is freaking incredible. There's plenty of 4K content that can be streamed, broadcast - not so much.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:12 pm

quantAndHold wrote:I'm still trying to wrap my head around needing five TV's. We have one that we barely watch. I can't imagine what the other four would be for.
It's a weekend vacation home where we bring our friends and also our kids' friends. One big TV in the main room. Then a smaller one in the kid's playroom. Then another smaller one in our bedroom. Then 2 more smaller ones in the 2 guest bedrooms. Smaller TVs are cheap these days.
Last edited by toofache32 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:20 pm

Cindyjrn wrote:
toofache32 wrote:
People who have high end home theaters do. Your idea of really good probably greatly differs from mine.
If you're talking about speakers for the TV then I agree, Sonos is not the way to go. Sorry I thought you were talking about something for playing music.
If you ARE talking about playing music, consider giving the Sonos a try and return it if you don't like it. I am a music snob with a college degree in music who used to have those big boxes in a cabinet...receiver, tuner, amplifier, etc. I surprised myself when I decided I liked the Sonos system several years ago.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:10 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:I need to stock a new house with TVs. I only have one and I need four more. I thought no stations broadcast in 4K yet and thus it didn't make sense to buy 4K, but now I'm being pressured to buy at least one by a friend. I don't want to feel dumb three years down the line for not buying 4K but they are twice as expensive. Any opinions? FWIW I'm looking at getting a 60', 55' and two 40's. Was going to do Samsung smart LCD tvs 1080p. Good deal at Costco.

How about only getting 4k for one tv, preferably the big one. Netflix and some sites on youtube have limited 4k options, you'll need 50 MBps internet though so it can comfortably stream. You can wow your friends with the 4k resolution.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

lack_ey

Post by lack_ey » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:23 pm

How good are your eyes and how far do you sit from the TV? Even supposing you can get 4K content, resolution doesn't matter all that much for a lot of content, and if it's far enough away your eyes may physically not be able to resolve the details anyway. For more context and very basic information see
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-res ... g-compared

It's more likely that HDR support (which is kind of a patchwork mess of standards now in the early phase, with very little content available) may make a larger visual impact, and if you get a typical LED-backlit display, that has its limitations that matter more for what you watch. Or not.

This is all about tradeoffs and it really depends on what kind of program material you're looking about and your priorities. For footballs and sports you should probably prioritize motion clarity and picture uniformity (if part of the field looks a slightly different color from the rest because there's a bias at the edges or left/right, that may be distracting). It may be a long time before there are 4K sports broadcasts.

For what it's worth, 4K displays are pretty mainstream and cheap these days. Without even going to the much cheaper 3rd-tier manufacturers/off-brand stuff, you can get a 55" 4K TV for probably some $550-600 these days, 60" not incredibly more? Haven't really checked in a while.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:35 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:I need to stock a new house with TVs. I only have one and I need four more.
We just replaced our 40" Sony HD because one one (singular) died. We decided to go for a Samsung 4K series 8 (close to but not top of the line) because, like cars, we keep TVs until they die. Netflix already has UHD content and it's visibly better. We figure that it won't be too long until it's very common.

Four TVs? Really? I'd go for UHD in the primary viewing location but not necessarily for all of them. Get HDs and maybe upgrade in the future as the UHDs drop in price?

Don't forget that if you stream video on Netflix, UHD consumes 4x the bandwidth. If you have data caps on your internet, consider whether binging on UHD will hit the cap.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:40 pm

stoptothink wrote:We're in the market for a new TV. Unless you want to go with a totally off-brand, we're finding that it is difficult to find a set that isn't a smart TV.
That's my impression, as well. Since we have a TiVo and a Roku box, I'd just as soon have a high-quality 4K display without having to pay for the smart stuff. But I'm guessing the incremental cost of adding the smart stuff is very low, compared to the display technology. And, the dumb TV would never sell.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:31 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Cindyjrn wrote:
toofache32 wrote:
If you're talking about speakers for the TV then I agree, Sonos is not the way to go. Sorry I thought you were talking about something for playing music.
If you ARE talking about playing music, consider giving the Sonos a try and return it if you don't like it. I am a music snob with a college degree in music who used to have those big boxes in a cabinet...receiver, tuner, amplifier, etc. I surprised myself when I decided I liked the Sonos system several years ago.
I bought my system 6-7 years ago (Onkyo reciever, Klipsch speakers, Velodyne sub) but if I was buying today I would definitely go Sonos for the wireless & wifi.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

lack_ey

Post by lack_ey » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:47 pm

BW1985 wrote:I bought my system 6-7 years ago (Onkyo reciever, Klipsch speakers, Velodyne sub) but if I was buying today I would definitely go Sonos for the wireless & wifi.
You can always hook up something like a Chromecast Audio (the $35 dongle) to dumb audio sets. That has multiroom support too.

With Sonos you're kind of locked into an ecosystem with components that aren't that cheap, and their speakers (though they have a receiver too, for using non-Sonos speakers) are more for room sound than sound-good-in-a-dedicated-listening/TV spot sound.