Do you tip Uber drivers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
miamivice

Do you tip Uber drivers?

Post by miamivice » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:11 am

I recently started using Uber. Are you supposed to tip Uber drivers?

It's not a function of the app and I don't normally carry cash.

cheesepep

Re: Do you tip Uber drivers?

Post by cheesepep » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:42 am

I don't Uber or Lyft much, and the answer is no. I live in CA.

Bonhomie

Post by Bonhomie » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:08 am

I've only used Uber a handful of times while traveling but always tipped cash. Feel like I should even if it's not official policy.

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:18 am

We have used über several times for rides to and from the airport, and have never tipped. It does feel strange to just walk away without handing over a few bills.

Here is the official policy per über: https://help.uber.com/h/1be144ab-609a-4 ... c7de5ec073

DO I NEED TO TIP MY DRIVER?

The Uber app cannot include a tip when billing you for a trip fare.

Where available as a vehicle option, uberTAXI is an exception. uberTAXI connects riders with licensed yellow cabs, and includes the option to set a gratuity percentage added to your trip fare.

In most cities, Uber is a cashless experience. Tipping is voluntary. Tips are not included in the fare, nor are they expected or required. As a rider, you are not obligated to offer your driver a gratuity in cash. If you decide you would like to tip, your driver is welcome to accept.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:59 am

Bonhomie wrote:I've only used Uber a handful of times while traveling but always tipped cash. Feel like I should even if it's not official policy.

I didn't at first, but the last couple times I've tipped a few dollars cash. They definitely appreciate it. The base fare is usually so cheap, I figure a smooth ride is worth a few extra bucks. Obviously if they're a terrible driver, I won't be tipping.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

hoffmisc

Post by hoffmisc » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:13 am

Yes, like I would tip any cab driver, luggage hauler, waiter, etc.

M.

awval999

Post by awval999 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:21 am

When we know we're going to be using Uber we try to have some 1$ bills to tip them. Usually 2-3$ depending on the fare. I've tipped 5$ for airport routes when they help with baggage and all that.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:07 am

Apparently there is no need to tip, based on what one of my younger friends says. He uses Uber and is good friends with an Uber driver. Some still do tip, though.

JT
Last edited by bottlecap on Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:16 am

Don't feel pressured to tip. The whole point of the app is to make it super easy to get a ride and not have the hassle of a transaction at the end of it.

A friend of mine recently took an Uber Black and he said there was a sign in the car that said "Tips appreciated". It's BS. I've heard that some drivers now rate a customer less than five stars if he or she doesn't tip.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:20 am

I used to drive for Uber as a second job. The policy is no tipping and very few people do. I can tell you that the tips are appreciated and not expected. That's why when I use it now I usually leave a few bucks if I have cash. I figure it is more appreciated in their pockets than mine.

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:40 am

simplesimon wrote:Don't feel pressured to tip. The whole point of the app is to make it super easy to get a ride and not have the hassle of a transaction at the end of it.

A friend of mine recently took an Uber Black and he said there was a sign in the car that said "Tips appreciated". It's BS. I've heard that some drivers now rate a customer less than five stars if he or she doesn't tip.

I like and use Uber and Lyft but its amusing to hear drivers squawk for cab like regulations when we chat with comments like "there are too many drivers on the road."

I do not tip Uber however Lyft does ask if you want to tip.

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:05 am

I do not tip on either Uber or Lyft and find this one of the bigger advantages of the platform. I also don't see why I should tip a cab driver, the company should pay them a decent wage and yes I know it is a separate discussion. Most people I know do not tip and I don't either and my rating is still above 4.8 on Uber.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:16 am

Unless the service is exceptional I don't tip. Ubers policy is not to - so that works for me.
Certainty is a requirement of ignorance. | Humbling Contest results: | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:29 am

I always tip the Uber driver and they really appreciate it.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:29 am

I do tip. I haven't drunk the kool-aid on the gig/outsourced economy but that's not a topic for discussion on this forum.

MikeMak27

Post by MikeMak27 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:40 am

My friends and I have been using Uber and Lyft for 2 years now. One of our friends drives for both of them. None of us ever tip the drivers and my buddy who drives rarely ever gets tipped.
Mac 3 fund portfolio: 45% US small cap value (IJS, VBR), 35% Emerging Markets (IEMG, VWO, FPMAX), 20% intermediate term US treasuries (FIBAX, IEF) & Cash

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:43 am

Tipping is not necessary, the rating/review system is how feedback is given (rather than tipping).

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:02 am

Absolutely not. I once took an Uber who had a big, handwritten sign attached to his dash "tips appreciated". I rated him low and reported him.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:11 am

Uber cuts the fares 15% in NY and discourages tips.
The drivers are fighting to get tips as a line on the entry form - so people will tip.
At one time Uber drivers were making a good rate; that has changed dramatically as Uber has lowered fares twice.
As for a sign saying tips appreciated - I would have the same thing if I were a Uber driver.
Last edited by Rob5TCP on Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:14 am

SQRT wrote:Absolutely not. I once took an Uber who had a big, handwritten sign attached to his dash "tips appreciated". I rated him low and reported him.

I don't understand. If the policy is no tip required, but tips are allowed, why would you report him? Is there a policy where a tip sign is not permitted? Or do policies vary by city? The sign may lack taste, but reporting seems excessive.
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said." --Alan Greenspan

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:25 am

A friend of mine drives for Uber part time and he says almost nobody tips.

I tip sometimes. During the holidays I tipped a few times. Sometimes if it's an extremely short ride I'll tip a few bucks also.

uncaD

Post by uncaD » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:31 am

No. I give them a 5-star rating.

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:40 am

I don't tip uber drivers. The whole point of taking uber for me is the cashless experience, and the cheap ride. Tipping adds to the expense and it is not the norm like in other industries (i.e. restaurants).
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:48 am

Depends on the length of the ride, if I know the driver drove 5min to pick me up, to then drive me 1.5 miles for under $10, they aren't even breaking even after the Uber fees, in these cases i will always toss them a few bucks cash.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:54 am

saltycaper wrote:
SQRT wrote:Absolutely not. I once took an Uber who had a big, handwritten sign attached to his dash "tips appreciated". I rated him low and reported him.

I don't understand. If the policy is no tip required, but tips are allowed, why would you report him? Is there a policy where a tip sign is not permitted? Or do policies vary by city? The sign may lack taste, but reporting seems excessive.

Uber makes it clear, at least in Phoenix, that tips are not encouraged. The sign seemed to be against Uber policy. I reported it because I really like the cashless aspect of Uber and if tips start to be the norm, this aspect will be lost and Uber will be less advantageous in my opinion.

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:54 am

I use Uber quit a bit.

I only tip a few bucks extra if I make a special request (i.e. can they stop on the way and let me run into the convenience store?)

Hulk

Post by Hulk » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:04 am

I usually don't and feel bad about it but I never really carry much cash. But I have when I have caused the driver a hassle. Once at OAK, the driver had to come pick me up in an "illegal zone" for uber. He wasn't super happy about it but I didn't want to walk 100 yards to the uber pick up zone (bum knee), so i gave him a 10. He seemed surprised at receiving a tip.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:08 am

hoffmisc wrote:Yes, like I would tip any cab driver, luggage hauler, waiter, etc.

M.

+1

I use Uber/Lyft a lot, as I travel a lot. Like any service business, I tip when I get good service, a good driver, good conversation, etc. These companies have chopped rates so low (for competitive reasons, not driver's fault nor should they be penalized), and take 20-30% margins, that I feel guilty not tipping because they are working hard and getting paid less. So when available and warranted I give $2-3 on a good ride. It's easier in the Lyft app since they have tipping as a feature, no need for cash. But since I travel a lot, I always carry loose cash for such things when in airports, restaurants, etc.
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

chartcab3785

Post by chartcab3785 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:03 pm

I had a driver who dropped us off at our hotel after a late flight give us a 1.5L bottle of Fiji Water. Same water in the room at a third the size would have been $5 or something. Unfortunately she surprised us with it and we were already fumbling with luggage and unable to get a tip out. 5 star rating obviously, but would have gladly tipped a few $ in the app if it were possible.

I'd read elsewhere that drivers start getting heat if their rating starts getting down around 4.6 stars so I don't rate less than 5 unless they've done something egregious. A tip function might show uber who the stars are. But I suppose they may not really care.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:18 pm

I usually sit up front and talk to my Uber drivers. Some of them are quite interesting. I've learned a lot about the experience from the driver's perspective. For instance, they are required to rate passengers before they can pick up another fare, just as we are required to rate them. And the rating is very important to them, as Uber will drop them if it gets to low. I've also learned that some drivers play the surge pricing game, using one phone to monitor surge levels so they can go 'online' as a driver with a different phone when they deem the surge level acceptable.

I usually tip a few bucks. They always seem to appreciate it. It helps keep my rating high. I had one guy come pick me up at the airport in Salt Lake CIty after midnight, even though it was way out of his way and he didn't know where I'd be heading to, just because I had a really high rating.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:41 pm

tyrion wrote:I usually sit up front and talk to my Uber drivers. Some of them are quite interesting. I've learned a lot about the experience from the driver's perspective. For instance, they are required to rate passengers before they can pick up another fare, just as we are required to rate them. And the rating is very important to them, as Uber will drop them if it gets to low. I've also learned that some drivers play the surge pricing game, using one phone to monitor surge levels so they can go 'online' as a driver with a different phone when they deem the surge level acceptable.

I usually tip a few bucks. They always seem to appreciate it. It helps keep my rating high. I had one guy come pick me up at the airport in Salt Lake CIty after midnight, even though it was way out of his way and he didn't know where I'd be heading to, just because I had a really high rating.

I have a 4.88 rating and have never tipped...I rarely ever carry cash and am a huge fan of the app for its convenience. Like other discussions about tipping in restaurants, I say raise prices or have Uber take a smaller cut - don't put the burden on the customer especially if it's going to affect the customer's rating as a result.

The_Fourth_Doctor

Post by The_Fourth_Doctor » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:58 pm

I only tip in rare circumstances, not for straightforward short rides. I do, however, always tell them directly that I will be giving them five stars.

Jack56

Post by Jack56 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:14 pm

no. Besides charity, I don't give money away to people who are not family. If UBER drivers were really underpaid they would do something else. If you are going to get involved with tipping and cash you might as well use a taxi.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:27 pm

No. Uber was launched as a cashless easy experience. In fact - when they first launched drivers wouldn't accept tips (now they will). They don't expect tips - I have a 4.95/5 passenger rating over 100 rides and have never tipped.

mayday23

Post by mayday23 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:50 pm

i always tip $2-$3 as most of my rides are $8-$20 fares. These guys don't make much and i'd like to see them survive, so I tip.

gretah

Post by gretah » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Absolutely yes.

Drivers are paid very low. They wouldn't drive if they didn't need the money.

Even with a generous tip, Uber is still cheaper than taxis.

nolapepper

Post by nolapepper » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:07 pm

I tip them as even after the tip the rate is still much cheaper than taxi. Your ride is more pleasant than the taxi ride too. Plus you get to talk to interesting people rather than those boring taxi drivers.

Tips are highly appreciated by uber drivers. They are underpaid because Uber keeps the rate very low. They had strikes and protests but with no progress. They barely make it even if they don't get a couple of longer drives like airport drop offs and pickups.

masteraleph

Post by masteraleph » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:33 pm

No. I've never had one in my area ask for one (NYC area) or act like they're expecting one, and for the most part, I don't carry cash.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:46 pm

No in the SF Bay Area.

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Another reason to not use it. A scam to enrich a handful of owners at the expense of its underpaid "contractors".
Great idea, getting rides in unmarked cars by semi-vetted maybe-insured drivers.
But hey, it's hip because you can - be still my heart - order by app! And it's a "a ride you can always trust", because their ads say so.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:14 pm

soboggled wrote:Another reason to not use it. A scam to enrich a handful of owners at the expense of its underpaid "contractors".
Great idea, getting rides in unmarked cars by semi-vetted maybe-insured drivers.
But hey, it's hip because you can - be still my heart - order by app! And it's a "a ride you can always trust", because their ads say so.

Clearly, you've never needed an Uber after a night out. I much prefer it to waiting 30mins for a terrible yet expensive cab driver to maybe show up.

Life's been good to me. I understand that most people do not make what we do. I also understand what it's like to work for low wages where tips are sometimes given but not mandatory. A few bucks makes a big difference. So while I don't feel obligated to tip the Uber driver, I'll throw a few bucks their way.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:30 am

I never tip an Uber driver. The whole point of Uber was that I didn't have to worry about cash money. Get in and get out.

One thing I love about traveling to Europe is that for the most part I don't have to tip. I like knowing if my bill is $50 it's really $50, not $50 + 7% tax + 18% tip.

If the drivers can't make money without getting tipped they either need to find a different gig or Uber should increase their prices. I love the US but I hate the pretend prices of everything.

meowcat

Post by meowcat » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:43 am

I personally asked an Uber driver in Las Vegas if he accepted tips. He said "oh yes, as a matter of fact, it's greatly appreciated".
More people should learn to tell their dollars where to go instead of asking them where they went. | -Roger Babson

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:32 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (tipping).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:33 pm

Nope. And my user rating is 5-stars. If a driver gives me fewer than 5 stars because I don't tip then I would give them a lower than 5-star rating as well.

reneeh63

Post by reneeh63 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:50 pm

I tip cab drivers...I'd tip Uber drivers if I used them. My guess is that few people tip them because they are using them mostly because they are cheap...oh, Uber, not the person who isn't tipping...I guess? To me it's like kids feeling they are getting away with something - since there is no perceived social pressures to tip, why would you. But now we're hearing about how little Uber drivers actually make so a tip would seem appropriate but not required, of course.

traveler90

Post by traveler90 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:38 am

Never have. That's the whole point.

If they added a tip line on the app I would probably tip a buck or two. But I don't carry cash for the most part.

Also it's interesting to hear the take that they barely make any money. The only uber drivers I've met or used typically do at least one shift a week during a surge time and make quite a bit. On a Friday or Saturday night they'll make a couple hundred bucks.

JamalJones

Post by JamalJones » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:15 am

Yeah, I've never tipped an Uber driver. That's, at least, part of the point of it. With the new pool thing (you either accept to possibly ride with another passenger and pay less--and wait longer to get to your destination--or you pay double or triple to ride by yourself), and then much of the time is surge pricing, you start to approach the price of a regular cab.

Plus, you have to deal with the driver, more than 50% of the time, (in my experience) not knowing exactly where to go or the best route to take--missing turns and off ramps (and all this despite having a smartphone GPS mounted to their dash).

(I don't think I've ever had a problem taking regular cabs. You tell them where you're going, they know how to get there and just drive).

Honestly though, all that's not too much of a big deal to me. Just get me from point A to point B so I don't have to do it myself and risk a DUI.

BUT, I want to pay less than a cab for all that if I have do deal with the above inconveniences.
TSP + Vanguard Roth IRA: 80% equities (C, S, I Funds and VTSAX,VTIAX, VEMAX) / 20% bonds (F and G Funds) | MOTBH!

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:16 am

Have only used taxis and super shuttle. I do tip cab drivers and super shuttle. I don't usually tip shuttle for rental car.

At this moment, not sure when I will take Uber of Lyft or similar.

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:39 am

I've driven for Uber/Lyft. Thought it might be a good retirement gig since I was partially retired, moving toward fully retired. The hours seemed attractive - work for a minute, an hour, all day, etc. But since I am a morning person and don't do the evening "shift" I have rarely experienced the surge pricing periods. The normal pay is really awful. Think about it - most demand is in cities but most rides there are local for close to minimum fare ($5-$7). With traffic, lights, etc you can hope for maybe 3 rides an hour. So maybe $20-$25 an hour, less Uber's 25% cut and your expenses (gas, wear and tear) you're lucky to clear minimum wage. There's areas where the nature of the rides may be more profitable but not by a lot. I do this now once every month or 2 just to see how the app has changed or see how the demand has changed. Anyone doing this for a living is working really hard and a LOT of hours. I say TIP!!