Three Days in Colorado Springs (August)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
happysteward

Three Days in Colorado Springs (August)

Post by happysteward » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:46 pm

Fellow Bogleheads, Any advice, hints, suggestions would be much appreciated...never been there before...
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more." | "He who loves money will not be satisfied with money..." Ecclesiastes 5:10

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Three Days in Colorado Springs (August)

Post by nisiprius » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:09 pm

Can't say I know the place, but we were there once and were charmed and fascinated by the "Garden of the Gods." It was a clear day with a bright sun when we pulled into the parking lot, and the sun was shining on one of the big, red, rock fins and everyone in the car suddenly turned red from the reflected light.

It's a public park full of strange and wonderful rock formations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_of_the_Gods
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Compound

Post by Compound » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Going there soon, so can't provide first hand knowledge yet, but have done some reading:

Garden of the Gods looks like it will be a real treat.
Pikes peak -- can take railroad up to top. If you're going to do this, get tickets early as they often sell out.
Olympic training center.
If you have little ones, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.
Outdoor activities (white water rafting, hiking, mountain biking...)

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:31 pm

Colorado Springs has some really good Goodwill stores. Some of the best that I've been to, and I've been to many of them. The one in Old Town, the one in Monument, and the one by Kelly Johnson are top notch.

The Air Force Academy is worth an hour or so of your time, if you are interested in seeing the grounds and chapel.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:39 pm

I have dined (Sunday/holiday brunch) at the Broadmoor which is a resort. The food and service was excellent.

otinkyad

Post by otinkyad » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:49 pm

The main highlights of our trip were Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak Cog Railway, and the Air Force Academy, as others mentioned. We enjoyed just hanging out in Manitou Springs (home of the Cog Railway and the Penny Arcade: vintage 70s/80s arcade games) and visiting the nearby Cave of the Winds (nice cave tours and a fun zip line and rope course). Both the Old Town and the North side of downtown are nice for shopping, browsing, and dining.

We were and are ambivalent about the Manitou Cliff Dwellings (a re-creation of Anasazi dwellings, c. 1300, using stones from original sites), but it was an interesting visit.

We had two places out of town on our list, which we didn't end up visiting: Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument and Royal Gorge.

x35864

Post by x35864 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:07 pm

I was stationed at Fort Carson for four years. Garden of the Gods is pretty awesome. If you like to run, there are some killer hills. Pikes Peak has a 12-mile or so hiking trial that is pretty amazing. You can also drive it or take the train up. The views are great, and the over-priced donuts are pretty good too. There's also the "Incline" which is an old-railway that is now legal to hike up. It's a smoker, especially if you don't live at altitude. Royal Gorge burned down (or at least part of it did) when I was there. It was a little cheesy but might be better now. Manitou has some interesting shops and people.

x35864

Post by x35864 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:07 pm

I was stationed at Fort Carson for four years. Garden of the Gods is pretty awesome. If you like to run, there are some killer hills. Pikes Peak has a 12-mile or so hiking trial that is pretty amazing. You can also drive it or take the train up. The views are great, and the over-priced donuts are pretty good too. There's also the "Incline" which is an old-railway that is now legal to hike up. It's a smoker, especially if you don't live at altitude. Royal Gorge burned down (or at least part of it did) when I was there. It was a little cheesy but might be better now. Manitou has some interesting shops and people.

segfault

Post by segfault » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:17 pm

If you have any interest in outdoor recreation, you will be all set (and will wish your stay was longer than three days). Garden of the Gods is pretty good. I enjoyed Pikes Peak, but if you're driving it, it should probably be one of your last destinations, due to altitude sickness. If you make it down to Canon City, the Colorado Prison Museum is kind of neat, and Skyline Drive is awesome. Gold Camp Road and High Drive are also pretty cool. I also visited the American Numismatic Museum when I was there.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:59 pm

All the hotels will have racks of brochures for places to visit in CO Springs. There is more to do than you can do in 3 days.

Garden of the Gods is free. You should drive through it. Easy to do. Very close. You can do some short hikes in the rocks.
Drive up to the top of Pikes Peak.
Both of these are classics. Don't know if you have ever been out west, but those two should stand out for you.
Cave of the winds is another classic for that area.
All these are touristy things, but you should not miss them.

Plenty of other things on those brochure racks also. Depends on how much you might want to fit in for three days. It will be hot. 94 right now in Denver. You will be at altitude. No need to overdo it.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:56 pm

happysteward wrote:Fellow Bogleheads, Any advice, hints, suggestions would be much appreciated...never been there before...
Everyone has mentioned the important "can't miss" sites - Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Air Force Academy, and Olympic Training Center, in that order. The penny arcade at Manitou Springs is a real blast.

Here are my hints:

1) Be prepared for ANY weather. My first visit was in LATE June and we encountered snow at Pikes Peak, rain at the AF Academy, and hail at the Olympic Training Center, all within six hours. Be prepared for any weather at any time. At the least, carry a poncho and an umbrella along with you.

2) Pikes Peak is at 14,000+ feet. If you have coronary or respiratory issues, you may have problems operating at that altitude. Starting around 12,000 feet, you will notice that some people are pulling over with nausea. This altitude sickness is MORE likely to happen if you fly into Denver or Colorado Springs and head to Pikes Peak. It is better to wait a day.

fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:55 am

• Pikes Peak - take the Cog railway to the top. Make reservations well in advance
    Hike up the Incline - do this only if you are in great shape. Walk down Barr trail.
    Garden of the Gods - this is a must-see
    Cave of the Winds
    Olympic Training Center
    USAFA
    Cheyenne Mountain zoo
    Walk around Manitou Springs. If you happen to be there on August 21, watch the end of the Pikes Peak Marathon.
    There are lots of beautiful trails in the Springs. Barr Trail. Red Rock. Section 16. Etc.

fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:57 am

If you are coming from a low-altitude place, drink lots of water before and during your trip.

bkd234

Post by bkd234 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:08 am

Colorado Springs is a great place to visit. We enjoyed visiting the historic Broadmoor Hotel and Resort. The property also houses the Penrose Heritage Museum, a large collection of old carriages, autos, and western heritage items. One gallery contains history of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb with displays and vehicles and more. The museum is free to visit.
http://www.thebroadmoorblog.com/tag/carriage-museum/

mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:32 am

Smoke weed legally !

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:38 am

You're received good recommendations so far; please heed the advice regarding weather preparation and altitude. With temps near 100 degrees today, drinking lots of water is a must (although drinking water is a must at higher altitudes regardless of temperature.)

Here's a link to some additional information: http://www.visitcos.com/ Links to the activities listed below are at http://www.visitcos.com/55-colorado-spr ... ons-5-days, but it's ridiculous to think you could actually do all of these things in 5 days (I know your post indicates you will be there for 3 days.)

Day1
Cadet Chapel - Air Force Academy
Bomber Plane Display - Air Force Academy
Western Museum of Mining & Industry
Whit's End - Focus on the Family
ProRodeo Hall of Fame & Museum of the American Cowboy
Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Museum
Glen Eyrie Castle
Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site
Garden of the Gods Visitor Center & Park
Garden of the Gods Trading Post

Day2
Cheyenne Mountain State Park
May Museum of Natural History (Bug Museum)
Whitewater Rafting with Echo Canyon River Expeditions Other Rafting Partners
Royal Gorge Zip Line Tours
Royal Gorge Aerial Tram (Under reconstruction - to open in 2015)
Royal Rush SkyCoaster
Royal Gorge Incline Railway (Permanently Closed)
Royal Gorge Bridge
Royal Gorge Scenic Railway (Permanently Closed)
Royal Gorge Route Railroad
Museum of Colorado Prisons
Winery at Holy Cross Abbey

Day3
Academy Riding Stables
Manitou Springs Mineral Springs
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Barr Trail
Miramont Castle Museum
Arcade Amusements Penny Arcade
The Olive Tap
Manitou Springs Cliff Dwellings
Wind Walker Challenge Course
Cave of the Winds
El Pomar Carriage House Museum
Ghost Town Museum
Florissant Fossil Beds

Day4
Colorado Wolf & Wildlife Center
Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine
Cripple Creek Heritage Center
Cripple Creek & Victor Narrow Gauge Railroad
Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center
The North Pole – Santa’s Workshop
Rock Climbing with Front Range Climbing Company
Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center
Money Museum
U.S. Olympic Training Center
Memorial Park Skate Park
Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum

Day5
Pikes Peak Highway
Donuts – Summit House
Bike Down Pikes Peak with Challenge Unlimited
Michael Garman Magic Town
World Figure Skating Museum & Hall of Fame
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Seven Falls

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:41 am

mrgeeze wrote:Smoke weed legally !
This is not my area of expertise, but...

"The retail purchase and sale of marijuana is not legal in Colorado Springs. Only licensed retail marijuana stores are permitted to sell recreational marijuana. There are no licensed retail marijuana stores in the City." Source: https://coloradosprings.gov/marijuana

FreddieG

Post by FreddieG » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:04 am

Colorado13 wrote:
mrgeeze wrote:Smoke weed legally !
This is not my area of expertise, but...

"The retail purchase and sale of marijuana is not legal in Colorado Springs. Only licensed retail marijuana stores are permitted to sell recreational marijuana. There are no licensed retail marijuana stores in the City." Source: https://coloradosprings.gov/marijuana
I live in Colorado Springs. You just need to go to Manitou Springs.

I retired here and am currently climbing as many 14ers as I can. Weed is not conducive to that activity.

mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:39 am

Freddie G is quite right about Manitou Springs.
It definitely has a big weed vibe to it.

It is interesting to watch the change in societal behavior regarding cannabis going on in our country.
Nowhere is it more obvious than Colorado.

I realize some states (and indeed even our federal government) still view weed as criminal.
But most Americans do not and favor legalization.

New health related cannabis treatments are coming on-line, helping more people every day.
Plus, if you just want to kick back and get a buzz, you can do that too!

Experience the future now in Colorado!

IFRider

Post by IFRider » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:32 am

mrgeeze wrote:Experience the future now in Colorado!
Yes, and it's a cautionary tale.

In my opinion legalization has just shifted the dollars spent from enforcement to cleaning up the mess.
After several years of recreational marijuana, I preferred my state the way it was during enforcement.

billfromct

Post by billfromct » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:39 am

You may want to visit the old mining towns of Cripple Creek & Victor which are about a 1 1/4 hour drive West of Colorado Springs.

Check "the Google".

There are more things you can see & do up in the mountains so this is at least a half to full day outing.

bill

FreddieG

Post by FreddieG » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:26 pm

mrgeeze wrote:Freddie G is quite right about Manitou Springs.
It definitely has a big weed vibe to it.

It is interesting to watch the change in societal behavior regarding cannabis going on in our country.
Nowhere is it more obvious than Colorado.

I realize some states (and indeed even our federal government) still view weed as criminal.
But most Americans do not and favor legalization.

New health related cannabis treatments are coming on-line, helping more people every day.
Plus, if you just want to kick back and get a buzz, you can do that too!

Experience the future now in Colorado!

One of my favorite quotes is "neither your biggest fears nor wildest dreams seldom come true". I think that is true with marijuana. Legalization has not brought about societal decay, but the promised tax revenues are not there.

I'll just keep climbing mountains and stay above it all. Literally :)

CassiusRex

Post by CassiusRex » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:02 pm

I first visited Manitou Springs 15 years ago; it's always had a big weed vibe...

Driving Pike's Peak was awesome if you have any interest in motor sports.

There's also a ton of good ATV trails/rentals just outside of town.

Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:54 pm

An abundance of things to do in Colorado Springs. It's a great place filled with patriotic and family values oriented people.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:13 pm

FreddieG wrote:One of my favorite quotes is "neither your biggest fears nor wildest dreams seldom come true". I think that is true with marijuana. Legalization has not brought about societal decay, but the promised tax revenues are not there.
You must be living in a different Colorado than I am. The tax revenues are amazing and a bunch of towns that previously voted, "No" on local marijuana shops are considering reversing course.

One source said that expected marijuana sales may hit $1 billion this year.

As for whether tourists ought to avail themselves of legal marijuana while here for short periods, I'd say no. Being stoned interferes with the enjoyment of a short visit to Colorado.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:39 pm

If you're not a marijuana user, don't let all the pot-talk scare you away from Manitou. There are two recreational marijuana vendors on our street here in Manitou, and (as somebody who doesn't smoke/use pot) the only issues I've seen them cause are 1) parking shortages and 2) what will the town do with all the tax revenue?

As far as I'm concerned, Manitou is a great, laid back place to do some outdoorsy stuff -- Manitou Incline, Barr Trail up Pikes Peak (or the Cog Railway) are excellent choices if you're so inclined.

And as others have said, you can't miss the Garden if you're in the Springs.
Mike Piper, author/blogger

IFRider

Post by IFRider » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:18 pm

BolderBoy wrote:You must be living in a different Colorado than I am. The tax revenues are amazing and a bunch of towns that previously voted, "No" on local marijuana shops are considering reversing course.

One source said that expected marijuana sales may hit $1 billion this year.

As for whether tourists ought to avail themselves of legal marijuana while here for short periods, I'd say no. Being stoned interferes with the enjoyment of a short visit to Colorado.
You sound like a pot lobbyist. According to the Colorado Department of Revenue, the revenue from marijuana from 4/15 - 4/16 is $142M:

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/revenu ... a-tax-data

I don't understand how the state can make any accurate revenue calculation. They rely on pot shop owners showing up at the tax office with briefcases full of cash.

$142M into a total state budget of $27 Billion. And at what cost?

I have my own, very lengthy, list of reasons pot isn't worth it. But I'm a curmudgeon and don't know what I'm talking about. So, how about this: In June, a former marine that was attending college to become a police officer was shot and killed while performing security duties at a pot shop in Denver. I'm sure the towns that want to vote into these amazing tax revenues will be happy to explain to this man's wife and 3 kids how giving his life to an experiment that contributes one-half of one percent to the state budget is worth it.

Obviously, it's a rhetorical question. He's just one guy, an anecdote. Soon, everyone will come to their senses and legalize dope at the federal level making proper banking possible. Then, everything will be fine and we'll all be swimming in free money.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:34 am

IFRider wrote:$142M into a total state budget of $27 Billion. And at what cost?
You are focusing on the state's tax haul. The cities and towns haul in 5x that much (tax rate is 5x higher) and THAT is a substantial amount of revenue to a struggling locale.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:17 am

IFRider wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:So, how about this: In June, a former marine that was attending college to become a police officer was shot and killed while performing security duties at a pot shop in Denver. I'm sure the towns that want to vote into these amazing tax revenues will be happy to explain to this man's wife and 3 kids how giving his life to an experiment that contributes one-half of one percent to the state budget is worth it.

Obviously, it's a rhetorical question. He's just one guy, an anecdote. Soon, everyone will come to their senses and legalize dope at the federal level making proper banking possible. Then, everything will be fine and we'll all be swimming in free money.
I'm not sure how compelling the anecdote is as a statement against weed. Any store can be robbed. Convenience stores that don't sell anything harder than candy bars are robbed at gunpoint every day. The main issue with legal weed in Colorado is that it's not legal everywhere, which creates pressure on Colorado as a supply bottleneck for illegal sales everywhere. If it were legal everywhere, it would be like tobacco or alcohol. But I digress...

I went to Colorado College in Colorado Springs. It's a nice town, but don't spend too much time at the tourist traps. In lieu of seven falls, you can just drive up Cheyenne canyon and see a non-lit waterfall for free. Nice hike up to the top of Mt. Rose from there.

The Cog railway is fun, but I would personally prefer the drive. Make sure you don't attempt until you have had some time to acclimate. Take your time going up. Blasting right up can leave you light-headed and dizzy- not great for driving a mountain road. But it's a very fun drive and unlike the train you can go at your own pace. You can also do the old-fashioned thing and climb Pikes Peak. It's a very long hike, but a good trail and spectacular views.

Garden of the Gods is beautiful and geologically interesting. Great rock climbing. If you are adventurous, find a guide to take you up some of the formations. Rappelling down from just below the kissing camels is a memorable experience.