Hiking questions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
leonard

Re: Hiking questions

Post by leonard »

4-6 hours?

I'd start with:

1. 10 essentials (look it up)
2. Knife.
3. Trek poles. It's easier to have them and not need them. They come in handy all the time - even in tame terrain.
4. Wicking clothing.
5. Light Hikers. I use Salomon Trail running shows as hikers. They work fine and I don't really miss the ankle support.
6. A bag that can carry your stuff AND MORE THAN ENOUGH water. Always take more water than you need.

Regarding hiking shorts - I had been using REI clothing for probably 17 years. However, recently, I found "tactical" shorts from 5.11 Tactical. These are better designed, have more comfortable stretch fabric options, utility pockets that actually organize your gear, AND take real full size belts (unlike many REI shorts that have built in 1 inch wide belts or only accept thin belts). So, I'd give the Stryke and Vapor shorts a look from 5.11 Tactical for a better hiking short.

REI works great for wicking tops - but you should also check out Costco. I've purchased many from Costco and they have worked very well.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

sixtyforty wrote:The one advice I have for you is to find the nearest REI. They have an incredible return policy, especially on hiking boots and unmatched in the industry as far as I'm concerned. Do you know of company that will take back boots after six months that are beat up for a full refund or exchange ? REI will. Their staff can also be quite knowledgable on all the equip needs (packs etc) As far as equipment goes.. go as light as you can. Backpacking enjoyment is inversely proportional to the weight of your pack.
I concur about REI. I needed a backpack for a weeklong walking trip a few years ago. The REI employee was very patient as I tried out all the women's backpacks. I am a short female with shoulder and neck issues, so I wanted to be sure I got a back pack that was comfortable for a whole day.

I have both hiking boots and trail runners. Personally, I don't find trail runners have thick enough soles if you are hiking over rocky terrain. I like the support of over the ankle boots, but it does take longer to break them in to be comfortable.
detroitbabu

Post by detroitbabu »

Just one data point for shoes.

I tried various shoes at REI before settling on Keen Targhee.
The moment I put them on, I knew that this is what I needed.
Especially if you have wide feet. No break in required.

Excellent shoes. I highly recommend it.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

livesoft wrote:
Rodc wrote:In Crocks.
We hiked up Mt McConnel in Colorado which is not a particularly big deal at less than 3 miles. Two co-eds ran up past us wearing flip-flops just as we started. Yes, flip-flops. About 20 minutes later, they ran down past us still wearing flip-flops.
May be they did not finish the trail and just turned back after 10 minutes? {smirk}

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

They summited.

Maybe they were from the Olympic Training Center?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Marjimmy wrote:...extra ankle support isn't a necessity unless I'm going on rough terrain, correct?
I have never used anything other than my old running shoes for all my hiking. They are extremely light and work great negotiating talus above the tree line.
At the end of our trips I just throw them out.
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Some recommendations:

1. Tick & Lyme disease prevention-Railriders ecomesh pants with insect shield. These pants are light, durable, and vent nicely. I don't know how well they protect against ticks but best to take every precaution possible.
2. Trail runners and thin wool shocks- I hiked 100 miles around Mont Blanc last year with big elevation changes and not a blister. La Sportiva trail runners with super feet insoles and DeFeet wooleator socks.
3. Smallest swiss army knife, mostly for the scissors, mini bic lighter, a few feet of paracord, a needle and thread-for those "you never know" situations.
4. A Therma-Rest sit pad is a nice luxury item.

If you start going on multi day trips, a hammock is a wonderful thing. Highly recommend the Warbonnet blackbird.

Go as light as possible for the conditions.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Rodc wrote:
hudson wrote:
livesoft wrote:I always like the suggestion to have some waterproof matches. Ever since dispo butane lighters were invented, we never used matches. The lighters work in the rain just fine. You can take them swimming. You might have to warm them up in your armpit if you go snow camping, but they are going to work.

Toilet paper? And a lighter to burn it. Or pack it out. :)
You have to be slightly crazy to go backpacking above 6000 feet in the winter...eastern US...I've had bad luck with butane; zippo lighters work better for me. It's the same with stoves....bad luck with the canned gas stoves; better luck with white gas stoves. But...to stay with the original question...butane lighters are fine and are always in my hiking/biking packs; they beat zippos because they'll give reliable service for years with no refills.
How bad are the 6000 ft + mountains down south in the winter? Never been there.

In NE I think that is only Mt Washington which has some fierce winter weather - a number of folks have died on Mt Washington due to cold and wind and not all in the winter. I have done Mt Washington in the winter a number of times, usually via one of the ice/snow gullies as a technical climb: -10F and 50 MPH winds are about as good as it gets on top in winter - though if not in a storm it will be much better even a little below the summit. Have to be fully prepared and watch the weather report carefully and be prepared to just go some other day if the weather is not forecast to be very good and avalanche danger moderate or better.

The lighter I tried above was I think a zippo, though I am not home to check. I will have to get a butane and try again.
How bad are the 6000 ft+ mountains: They aren't as severe as Mt. Washington. The mountain tops are wooded. During the winter, you usually won't find any wood or kindling that isn't soaked. One has to be prepared for high winds, frigid cold, ice, and snow. Three season tents will work when it's mild...but not ever again for me. (I didn't learn this the easy way.) Like the Whites in New Hampshire, one needs to watch the weather and be prepared...even in July. Like Mt. Washington, you can drive up to the top of Mt. Mitchell...three seasons only. The Blue Ridge Parkway has several locations above 6000 feet, I think. (Virginia has some under 6000 ft. mountains...near Mt. Rogers that are equally as severe.)

On the White Moutains, I read this book and liked it: Not Without Peril: 150 Years Of Misadventure On The Presidential Range Of New Hampshire.

To get back to hiking, The Carolina Mountain Club in Asheville leads hikes every weekend; their database of hikes is worth a look: http://carolinamountainclub.org/. There is also the Piedmont Hiking and Outing Club around Greensboro, NC: http://www.piedmonthikingandoutingclub.org/
Last edited by hudson on Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^The highest mountain in NY is Mt Marcy at 5300+ ft. The summit is above the tree line. I guess it's the latitude.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Rodc wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:Emergency poncho. Costs about a dollar and takes up hardly any space. I'm surprised only 1 other mention for a poncho. Also an emergency mylar blanket.

Basic first aid kid, maps, enough water and food and common sense.
I carry a mylar blanket but I am thinking of replacing it with this:

https://www.rei.com/product/891011/sol- ... lite-bivvy

Ponchos have some nice properties, especially if you are not carrying a rain jacket and mylar blanket.
The key to a space blanket is to take one you will actually carry with you. That argues for the ones that are the size of a pack of cards, even if they're inferior in use. I've been caught out twice, once overnight with a nice space blanket and once for a few hours at high altitude in a bad storm with a small blanket. Both helped. Neither was absolutely mandatory.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

hudson wrote:
Rodc wrote:
hudson wrote:
livesoft wrote:I always like the suggestion to have some waterproof matches. Ever since dispo butane lighters were invented, we never used matches. The lighters work in the rain just fine. You can take them swimming. You might have to warm them up in your armpit if you go snow camping, but they are going to work.

Toilet paper? And a lighter to burn it. Or pack it out. :)
You have to be slightly crazy to go backpacking above 6000 feet in the winter...eastern US...I've had bad luck with butane; zippo lighters work better for me. It's the same with stoves....bad luck with the canned gas stoves; better luck with white gas stoves. But...to stay with the original question...butane lighters are fine and are always in my hiking/biking packs; they beat zippos because they'll give reliable service for years with no refills.
How bad are the 6000 ft + mountains down south in the winter? Never been there.

In NE I think that is only Mt Washington which has some fierce winter weather - a number of folks have died on Mt Washington due to cold and wind and not all in the winter. I have done Mt Washington in the winter a number of times, usually via one of the ice/snow gullies as a technical climb: -10F and 50 MPH winds are about as good as it gets on top in winter - though if not in a storm it will be much better even a little below the summit. Have to be fully prepared and watch the weather report carefully and be prepared to just go some other day if the weather is not forecast to be very good and avalanche danger moderate or better.

The lighter I tried above was I think a zippo, though I am not home to check. I will have to get a butane and try again.
How bad are the 6000 ft+ mountains: They aren't as severe as Mt. Washington. The mountain tops are wooded. During the winter, you usually won't find any wood or kindling that isn't soaked. One has to be prepared for high winds, frigid cold, ice, and snow. Three season tents will work when it's mild...but not ever again for me. Like the Whites in New Hampshire, one needs to watch the weather and be prepared...even in July. Like Mt. Washington, you can drive up to the top of Mt. Mitchell...three seasons only. The Blue Ridge Parkway has several locations above 6000 feet, I think. (Virginia has some under 6000 ft. mountains...near Mt. Rogers that are equally as severe.)

On the White Moutains, I read this book and liked it: Not Without Peril: 150 Years Of Misadventure On The Presidential Range Of New Hampshire.

To get back to hiking, The Carolina Mountain Club in Asheville leads hikes every weekend; their database of hikes is worth a look: http://carolinamountainclub.org/. There is also the Piedmont Hiking and Outing Club around Greensboro, NC: http://www.piedmonthikingandoutingclub.org/
Thanks.

Wife gave me Not Without Peril but still lets me out in the winter. :)

Book has one story that repeats again and again: someone not prepared, not enough warm protective clothes or food, not paying attention to weather, refuses to just say "you know, I think I'll turn around and come back another day", and instead carries on and up into worse and worse conditions. There is a lesson in their somewhere. :)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

hudson wrote:
How bad are the 6000 ft+ mountains: They aren't as severe as Mt. Washington. The mountain tops are wooded. During the winter, you usually won't find any wood or kindling that isn't soaked. One has to be prepared for high winds, frigid cold, ice, and snow. Three season tents will work when it's mild...but not ever again for me. Like the Whites in New Hampshire, one needs to watch the weather and be prepared...even in July. Like Mt. Washington, you can drive up to the top of Mt. Mitchell...three seasons only. The Blue Ridge Parkway has several locations above 6000 feet, I think. (Virginia has some under 6000 ft. mountains...near Mt. Rogers that are equally as severe.)
A few years back a group of friends and I stayed at the Pisgah Inn, one of the two lodges owned by the NPS along the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was mid summer, so we got an earlier start and hiked in the morning, then went back to the Inn for lunch (to meet the non-hikers). Everyone but our two hardiest hikers decided to relax for the afternoon or explore a nearby town. The two most experienced hikers decided they would hike back up to the Inn after getting dropped off at the trailhead by one of the drivers who went into town. (None of the rest of us wanted to hike back UP to the summit which is ~5000 ft). Mid afternoon, a summer storm came through, the temperature dropped at least 25 degrees and the fog rolled in. The rest of us got worried about our hiking buddies but there was really nothing we could do - cell phone reception was spotty and we couldn't reach either of them. It was starting to get dark when we finally heard from them - they had taken a wrong turn when the trail branched and were walking away from the inn instead of towards it. Eventually they ran into some other hikers who had better cell service and were able to call for a pick up. Fortunately the other hikers had recently crossed the BRP so they were able to be picked up quickly even though they were at least 8 miles from the Inn. Neither of them had been prepared for the dramatic change in weather so they were both lucky to come out of it as well as they did. Needless to say, they were both a lot more careful about packing their backpacks after that adventure.
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

I personally like ankle support unless I'm "hiking" in the county park on a relatively paved or crushed gravel trail. I can't pack anything to fix a sprained or broken ankle.
Topic Author
Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy »

Haha so many different opinions. Guess it really doesnt matter especially when people are crushing hikes in flip flops. :sharebeer
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
hudson

Post by hudson »

cherijoh wrote:
hudson wrote:
A few years back a group of friends and I stayed at the Pisgah Inn, one of the two lodges owned by the NPS along the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was mid summer, so we got an earlier start and hiked in the morning, then went back to the Inn for lunch (to meet the non-hikers). Everyone but our two hardiest hikers decided to relax for the afternoon or explore a nearby town. The two most experienced hikers decided they would hike back up to the Inn after getting dropped off at the trailhead by one of the drivers who went into town. (None of the rest of us wanted to hike back UP to the summit which is ~5000 ft). Mid afternoon, a summer storm came through, the temperature dropped at least 25 degrees and the fog rolled in. The rest of us got worried about our hiking buddies but there was really nothing we could do - cell phone reception was spotty and we couldn't reach either of them. It was starting to get dark when we finally heard from them - they had taken a wrong turn when the trail branched and were walking away from the inn instead of towards it. Eventually they ran into some other hikers who had better cell service and were able to call for a pick up. Fortunately the other hikers had recently crossed the BRP so they were able to be picked up quickly even though they were at least 8 miles from the Inn. Neither of them had been prepared for the dramatic change in weather so they were both lucky to come out of it as well as they did. Needless to say, they were both a lot more careful about packing their backpacks after that adventure.
If you don't have it, you can't put it on. (and I didn't learn this the easy way)
Last edited by hudson on Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

the barefoot sisters backpacked almost all of the 2,200 mile appalachian trail barefoot on their thruhike.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

livesoft wrote:
Rodc wrote:In Crocks.
We hiked up Mt McConnel in Colorado which is not a particularly big deal at less than 3 miles. Two co-eds ran up past us wearing flip-flops just as we started. Yes, flip-flops. About 20 minutes later, they ran down past us still wearing flip-flops.
When I backpacked the JMT there was a man starting the same day as us who was wearing nearly brand new boots and had some flip flops for around camp. When we crossed path in Tuolumne Meadows two days later he had some heinous blisters from his boots. I wrote off his chances of completing the JMT at about zero. A couple of weeks later as we're enjoying some proper food and beer at the end of the trail in Whitney Portal he shows up. Turns out he put the boots on the outside of his pack and hiked the passes in his flip flops.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

I think anyone who reckons boots and high tech gear are required (and I fall into this line of thought from time to time) can learn something from Emma "Grandma" Gatewood
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

hudson wrote: If you don't have it, you can't put it on.
That is my philosophy about traveling in general. I rarely have the lightest backpack (or suitcase) but I am often the best prepared.

Re the flip flop runners - I would remind people not to confuse good results with a good strategy.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Just a quick off topic comment to recommend the fascinating film "MERU" to the outdoor enthusiasts in this thread.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Whenever I have a big packpacking or hiking trip coming up, I train by running on the beach barefoot. The instability of the soft sand builds strength in my feet and ankles. It's made a huge difference. If you're really concerned about your ankles, it helps to strengthen those stabilizing muscles.
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

I appreciate all of the advice in the thread. Although I have done more than a handful of half-day hikes over the last decade, I am still a novice. In my more limited experiences, I agree with a lot of the recommendations about footwear. Trail runners will do the job perfectly well for most maintained trails. However, I think a big caveat should be added: Anyone with pre-existing issues with knees and ankles will be best served to have more rigid soles and ankle support. My wife's knees are much better after walking even just a couple hours if she has on her boots vs. her lows--and I mean Keen Targhee mid vs. Keen Targhee low, so nothing other than ankle support is different!
Bustoff wrote:Just a quick off topic comment to recommend the fascinating film "MERU" to the outdoor enthusiasts in this thread.
I agree. I will also add a recommendation for "Valley Uprising". Both are about climbing, rather than hiking, but they're really beautiful and interesting.
Volkdancer

Post by Volkdancer »

Since there is so very much to choose from, I would suggest starting out with whatever you have, even if it is just a cheap pack from Walmart or one of the general, sporting goods store, or whatever REI has on sale, and the shoes you now use, if designed for exercise, running, trail running, et cetera, and discover what works and what does work and change. You may be surprised what you do not need, until you learn what you personally need. Don't make too big of a deal of it. The important thing is to get out and do it.

As for actual trails, connect with the Appalachian Mountain Club, http://www.outdoors.org/ , for their scheduled hikes and trips and chat it up to learn more.

Enjoy!

Karl V
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

jayjayc wrote:Whenever I have a big packpacking or hiking trip coming up, I train by running on the beach barefoot. The instability of the soft sand builds strength in my feet and ankles. It's made a huge difference. If you're really concerned about your ankles, it helps to strengthen those stabilizing muscles.
And whenever walking the dog, when the dog stops, stand on one leg (foot) and get that proprioception thing going. Perhaps do some single-leg deep knee bends.
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Not really. It works in jackets, to some extent. But in shoes the "breathable" effect is basically non-existent.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Marjimmy wrote:
livesoft wrote:I would have assumed that anyone who was former military would have been trained in all things having to do with hiking. Have things changed in 30 years?
Last I knew Navy & AirForce are considered military and those branches might not put a huge emphasis on hiking , but I don't know for sure .
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

ubermax wrote:
Marjimmy wrote:
livesoft wrote:I would have assumed that anyone who was former military would have been trained in all things having to do with hiking. Have things changed in 30 years?
Last I knew Navy & AirForce are considered military and those branches might not put a huge emphasis on hiking , but I don't know for sure .
Last I checked Army was part of the military. Maybe the Marines too... :D
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Rodc wrote:Last I checked Army was part of the military. Maybe the Marines too... :D
Digressing into word usage.

At one time "military" meant only the army. I don't think that's been colloquial since we had a Department of War, but it's why we have a US Military Academy and a US Naval Academy, but not a US Army Academy.
GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars »

Why not see if there is a hiking group in your area? I'm out in the Rockies, but there are several dozen different hiking groups at different ambition levels - some through the Colorado Mountain Club, some through some other groups, and quite a few with Meet Ups.
virgingorda

Post by virgingorda »

How far are you from the White Mountains in NewHampshire? Lots of great hikes in the Presidential range. What about your Sleeping Giant?

I just got a fantastic pair of shoes made by Salomon. They are shoes not boots. They have a solid sole but running shoe-like uppers and a cinch cord so they never untie.. But you should try them on as people recommend here.
cpw84

Post by cpw84 »

sfnerd wrote:For day hikes (< 8 total hours) I do:
- hiking shoes/boots (had a pair of Merrells that lasted me 12 years, and then a pair of Keens; both are great brands)
- cotton socks, though for longer hikes I'd do smart wool
- hiking pants or old jeans
- layered clothing (tshirt with casual button-up over it, maybe a sweater)
- jacket or fleece (I always bring something for hikes more , because you never know...)
- day pack with water bladder (Osprey has some really nice ones if you want to spend money; before that I just had a cheap coleman from Target)
- cheap disposable poncho in case it rains (available at Target for a couple bucks)
- knife, matches, small LED flashlight, bandaids (just in case; all of these can be purchased cheaply online or locally; no need for REI)
- healthy snacks (depending on length of hike and expected energy expenditure)
- water (in the day pack bladder; bring more than you'll need)

I don't do bug spray usually, but out here in the Bay Area bugs are rarely a problem. When I lived back east, I would sometimes bring it, especially in tick season.

For multi-day hikes, it really depends on the situation (how much you'll be hiking each day, do you need to bring your shelter, etc.), and you're better off going to REI or another outfitter and just having a chat.

One thing I would recommend: do not skimp on the footwear. Everything else is probably not super important. Sometimes I'll just put my hiking boots on and do a 6 hour hike without any of the stuff above (though I recommend bringing the stuff above) when I'm in a rush.
+1 on Merrells. I've got a pair that has served me well in a few different climates and terrains. I prefer the flexibility of a shoe over a boot personally. The Merrells I bought have a very sturdy sole, but breath well on top.

For your mileage, I'd consider a lightweight camelbak backpack for hydration and whatever you are carrying. Spot yourself extra time depending on elevation as well. I've made the mistake of only asking about miles when backpacking with buddies, but I didn't know how hard we would climb until the day of.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Volkdancer wrote:Since there is so very much to choose from, I would suggest starting out with whatever you have, even if it is just a cheap pack from Walmart or one of the general, sporting goods store, or whatever REI has on sale, and the shoes you now use, if designed for exercise, running, trail running, et cetera, and discover what works and what does work and change. You may be surprised what you do not need, until you learn what you personally need. Don't make too big of a deal of it. The important thing is to get out and do it.
Probably the most helpful post in this thread. This is what we did, after well over 100 hikes, the conclusion we came to is that we needed shoes which offered more traction. Everything else we needed, we already had. I did buy a large internal-frame pack, but that was an investment as we plan to do some multi-day hikes in the future and I generally carry everything for our family of 4 - we've actually needed it "0" times so far.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Don't overthink it. You're walking through the woods, hopefully up a hill. Wear comfortable shoes.
cleosdad

Post by cleosdad »

MrNewEngland wrote:Don't overthink it. You're walking through the woods, hopefully up a hill. Wear comfortable shoes.
This is me. I belong to 3 hiking groups and hike here in CO. mountains 3-4 times a week. All day hikes from 4-12 miles. I wear trail running shoes and carry water. No poles, pack, deet, whatever to slow me down.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Rodc wrote:
ubermax wrote:
Marjimmy wrote:
I don't think Marjimmy said which branch he/she was in ???
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ubermax wrote:
Rodc wrote:
ubermax wrote:
Marjimmy wrote:
I wish I could say for the better, although I'd be lying to you. You're taught how to navigate, that's about it though. While I'll pretend your reply isn't condescending this post was for the most part others experiences and apparel preferences.
I don't think Marjimmy said which branch he/she was in ???
Livesoft proposed that anyone who was former military has had hiking experience. The contention is that those serving in Navy or Air Force may have not.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
dbr

Post by dbr »

VictoriaF wrote:
Livesoft proposed that anyone who was former military has had hiking experience. The contention is that those serving in Navy or Air Force may have not.

Victoria
I served in the military. I did some hiking while I was in the military. This was all accomplished not in performance of duty. There was no hiking experience during training as distinct from marching, running, and swimming. There was some sailing sort-of-on-duty.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

With new boots or shoes, tape up vulnerable areas of feet with bandaids or moleskin before you start a hike to prevent blisters and general agony. Take extra moleskin with you in case you miss a spot.

I find boots too heavy for day hikes but for more than one day they are best. Boots do protect better against rattlesnakes. You won't have that issue I guess.

GL. Have fun.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I think surgical paper tape may have replaced moleskin. See, e.g.,
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... t-blisters

Note the reference to the military in that npr.org article, too. :)
Hector

Post by Hector »

cleosdad wrote:
MrNewEngland wrote:Don't overthink it. You're walking through the woods, hopefully up a hill. Wear comfortable shoes.
This is me. I belong to 3 hiking groups and hike here in CO. mountains 3-4 times a week. All day hikes from 4-12 miles. I wear trail running shoes and carry water. No poles, pack, deet, whatever to slow me down.
I agree. When I started hiking, I got excited and got hiking boots. Hiking boots were awful for me specially on terrain with elevation. Just above the ankle part of my legs were touching boots and I had trouble on terrain with elevation. I just wear train running shoes now. Brooks Cascadia are my favorite. They work well in almost all surfaces; smooth, rocky, with roots. soft. They dont work well on muddy trails though.
hudson

Post by hudson »

livesoft wrote:^The highest mountain in NY is Mt Marcy at 5300+ ft. The summit is above the tree line. I guess it's the latitude.
Quick Google/Wikipedia answer: "The tree line is the edge of the habitat at which trees are capable of growing. It is found at high elevations and in frigid environments. Beyond the tree line, trees cannot tolerate the environmental conditions (usually cold temperatures or lack of moisture)."

I've always wondered about that. Mount Washington is bare; Mt Mitchell which is higher is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_line

I don't know if that helps a new hiker except that being above the tree line can be more challenging then being in a forest.
Almost there

Hiking questions

Post by Almost there »

Since the OP didn't mention where he will be hiking, I want to let you know that after moving to Arizona, I joined a local hiking club since hiking is so different in the dessert. Usually we leave around 6:30 A.M. while it is very cool and will return around noon when it is very hot. So wearing layers is so important.

I would recommend a good pair of boots (above the ankle) if you will be hiking on lose gravel and walking up and down hills. Last year I also added trekking poles and will also bring along a hat, sunglasses along with 2-3 bottles of water, nuts or granola bars. Just purchased a light weight jacket from LL Bean which is good to 30 degrees. I also wear layers, starting with a moisture wicking shirt, good quality hiking socks (got mine at LL Bean-midweight) and pants. I would also suggest to spent a little more on the clothing especially the socks since they all will pay dividends in the long run.

Enjoy your hikes and give us some feedback.

Almost there
letsgobobby

deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hudson

Post by hudson »

letsgobobby wrote:The ten essentials:

http://www.wta.org/hiking-info/basics/ten-essentials

You should try to find a hiking partner. Going alone is quite a bit riskier, even on a seemingly simple trip. Many experienced hikers do it all the time but I wouldn't encourage it for a newbie.

I haven't hiked much in the northeast but one hike I remember is climbing Mt Washington in warm humid sunshine and having to race down at dusk to beat an impending thunderstorm. The weather dropped about 30 degrees in 3 hours. That's mountain weather for you and I assume that is a risk throughout the Northeast (I know it is in the Rockies, a bit less so in the Cascades and Sierra during the summer, where I hike).
Here's another "ten essentials" list...probably for a more advanced hiker audience. These authors...probably from rescue teams...like personal locator beacons and well-charged and turned off cell phones. http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/Essentials.htm

From the same website...much longer list... http://www.traditionalmountaineering.or ... n_Gear.pdf
cleosdad

Post by cleosdad »

letsgobobby wrote:
cleosdad wrote:
I think this ultralight style of hiking is fine for short hikes, in a group, on well-defined tread, in good weather. But it isn't recommended as a rule, especially going solo.

At least carry the ten essentials.
Yes hiking with people carrying the kitchen sink and taking all day is so much fun. I have been doing this for awhile on many 14 rs. To each his own,
dbr

Post by dbr »

One thing I learned from a very experienced desert hiker years ago is that covering up in the desert is a much better idea than pretending one is at the beach. Sun, sand, stickers, thorns, rain, wind, biting insects, etc. are not really one's friends in the outdoors. As time has gone on I wear more clothes and fewer chemicals to deal with both sun and and insects than we used to. It is now the skin surgeon that deals with the aftermath. Whatever the sentiment here about boots, I am still in the boot camp more or less. If people are having problems with boots it might take selecting a better boot for them, proper fit, socks that work with that foot and that boot, and making sure to try things out for an extended time in the neighborhood at home. Again, in this conversation there might be a wide range in what people really have in mind. The history of deaths on Mt. Washington and other places should not be taken lightly, but places like that are also not where most people are hiking either. I do remember wearing high top tennis shoes to hike in to a climb in the Andes. The reason was the trail was so mud and water soaked that getting leather boots soaking wet before hitting the snow line was a non-starter. In those days there was no such thing as plastics, nylon, Gore-tex, etc. in footwear. It is a fair statement that technology in outdoor clothing enables possibilities if the wearer is choosing suitable apparel.
FreddieG

Post by FreddieG »

I live in Colorado and am do a lot of Alpine hiking, including scaling 14ers. I have found that waterproof trail running shoes are adequate (the benefit being less weight than big boots) for most places where snow is not expected.

However, if you carry a lot of weight, boots give more ankle support. A sprained ankle at 14k feet with no cell service would not be good.

It is very individualized, but I am very happy with Adidas trail running shoes. Expect to pay at least $150.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

livesoft wrote:^The highest mountain in NY is Mt Marcy at 5300+ ft. The summit is above the tree line. I guess it's the latitude.
Sounds like it. All of the presidentials have exposed tops... the treeline tends to be somewhere in the 4500-4800 range. There are even a couple of smaller mountains in NH that have exposed tops for other reasons - ie. Chucoroa which supposedly was deforested by a wildfire centuries ago.

Definately agree one should not attempt winter hiking the NH 4000 footers until you have a LOT of experience and the right gear. Its not Everest but you will be dealing with snow ice and potentially nasty weather anywhere up there. I did in my 20s when I was in better shape and had all the equipment like ice axes, crampons, snowshoes, -20 sleeping bag, etc.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

back to the question...

Jordan-
I grew up in CT, got starting hiking in the scouts and was an avid hiker through New England through my 20s and 30s.... up until I had kids and got out of shape :(

First off, you can start with nothing but your sneakers a backpack and some basics (lunch, water, bug spray, first aid stuff) and do some short half day trips right in CT. There are lots of places that you can find loop trails in the 3-5 mile range that are good for an afternoon. I lived in the eastern part of the state and we used to drive up Rt.7 a lot and hike around places like Kent falls, etc. there is also a small stretch of the Appalachain Trail that crosses the NE corner of the state.

If you do a bunch of short hikes and like it the next thing you are going to want to try is a smaller summit. Popular first summitsthat are not technical and an easy day trip from CT include Mt. Greylock in western Mass and Mt. Monadnock on the southern border of NH. Monadnock is extremely popular and has many different trails that tend to be quite crowded in summer. Its a good first mt. hike if you are unsure of your shape and gear because you will never find yourself completely alone and unable to call for help if you had a problem. Even the longest loops from the parking area can be completed in just a couple hours by anyone in reasonable shape - so its easy to drive up, hike it and drive home well in time for dinner.

If you are hooked at that point, head north and start working on the 4000 footer list in New Hampshire. A good website with descriptions of all the mountains is http://hikethewhites.com/ - the most famous route of all is the Fanconia notch loop mentioned earlier in the thread... Ive done it at least 4 times, its the CLASSIC New Hampshire hike but its also probably the second most crowded route after Monadnock. There are lots of other routes that are equal interesting and less busy.

(I am partial to NH but you can also look at hiking the Greene Mts in Vermont and The Adirondacks in upstate NY. I did some Adirondack hikes in college)

For whatever area you are looking at pick up the relevant AMC guide book. The trail maps and route descriptions are second to none and they give you good estimates of how much time to allow, what gear to bring by season, level of difficulty, etc.
http://amcstore.outdoors.org/books-maps

Also not a bad idea to consider joining AMC. You get discounts and can join guided hikes, etc.

As far as gear - the classic book on this subject was Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker. It probably has not been updated with all the latest trends as the author passed on a few years back but the basic concepts are timeless. I've got a worn out 3rd edition from the 80s and its worth a read if you can find an old copy in the library. Then of course go find your local REI or EMS. I'm partial to REI, if you get into the hobby seriously definitely join the REI coop. You get a nice discount and they also do guided trips, workshops, etc..
Last edited by jharkin on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.