What is the best home exercise equipment?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
blevine

Re: What is the best home exercise equipment?

Post by blevine » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 pm

davidsorensen32 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:58 pm
Thanks everyone for their excellent responses. What do you guys think about the StairMaster ? https://www.amazon.com/StairMaster-1400 ... tairmaster
This is my personal favorite indoor cardio equipment. Have used older and newer models over the years. Note while it offers a great workout, they do need periodic maintenance. They do fail at gyms where heavily used. You may not have that experience when used for just your family, much lighter use. I prefer to go to a gym, but would never join a gym that did not have these available. I use this, elliptical and treadmills, in the past also exercise bikes and rowers. Stairs are by far the best workout with least wear and tear. I found pain in shoulders from heavy use of a rower. Knee pain running on treadmill (and track). Elliptical is ok on my body but leaves me feeling less benefit. I use them all, but much more the Stairmaster than anything. One concern, you need vertical space, so you have a room with a high ceiling?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:49 pm

blevine wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 pm
davidsorensen32 wrote:
Thanks everyone for their excellent responses. What do you guys think about the StairMaster ? https://www.amazon.com/StairMaster-1400 ... tairmaster
This is my personal favorite indoor cardio equipment. Have used older and newer models over the years. Note while it offers a great workout, they do need periodic maintenance. They do fail at gyms where heavily used. You may not have that experience when used for just your family, much lighter use. I prefer to go to a gym, but would never join a gym that did not have these available. I use this, elliptical and treadmills, in the past also exercise bikes and rowers. Stairs are by far the best workout with least wear and tear. I found pain in shoulders from heavy use of a rower. Knee pain running on treadmill (and track). Elliptical is ok on my body but leaves me feeling less benefit. I use them all, but much more the Stairmaster than anything. One concern, you need vertical space, so you have a room with a high ceiling?
The community gym I frequent has several of these (two different types) and it would seem to be a good exercise. However, that is one type that I do not like at all - so I never use it. Different people like/dislike different types of equipment. I suggest never buying anything without trying it out fully.

My favorite cardio equipment is a Rowing machine. I also use a treadmill, several types of ellipticals, stationary recumbent bikes and a Versaclimber (arm and leg). I try to never use the same equipment for cardio on successive days.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Concept2 rowing machine. Hands down the most reliable workout machine I've ever owned. It's only boring if you don't want to use it and make excuses. Great online support and very easy to do different workouts with it.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:00 pm

blevine wrote:
Stairs are by far the best workout with least wear and tear.
I've added carrying two 20 lb dumbbells up and down the stairs in my house during my morning oatmeal routine. 5 sets of 5 times which I guess is close to walking up 25 stories and back down. I'm rehabbing my ankle after surgery.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:15 pm

For me it's been a shovel and a hoe, at least for the last 50 years. :D

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:33 pm

lws6772 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:15 pm
For me it's been a shovel and a hoe, at least for the last 50 years. :D
That's hard on the back.
Isn't a shove and a hoe called a "Backhoe" in Texas?
My Texas neighbor calls "home exercise". . . "chores". :shock:

Actionably: I had a bowflex but it hurt my joints, gave it to my son. The single hand weights and therabands are easier on the body. It depends if one wants to maintain "fitness" or get "ripped" which is redefined as one ages.

We have a basement "gym room" with this stuff. Didn't need a "stair master" though I wanted one. But we have 2 flights of stairs in the house so that was cheaper.

The Cheaper "Total Gym" is made by Weider and does the same thing.

A good quality Elyptical from Sole is worth the money and easier on the joints than a treadmill.Image

Lymph Aerobic Bouncer something.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:36 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:29 pm
This thread is old so the OP probably made a decision by now.
Regarding treadmills being a waste of money - mine certainly hasn't been for me. It's not the 10 degree weather that prevents running in the winter but the lack of a surface to run on (hard to run on ice and snow and snowshowing, cross country skiing, or trying to run with crampons just don't work for me)
Yep, definitely a zombie thread since the OP was over two years ago. And add dangerous air quality to the list of reasons one might prefer a treadmill over outdoors. Certain parts of California have had multiple "unhealthy for everyone" air quality days due to the fires (on top of the normal smog). Indoor air quality can be better than outdoor air quality if properly filtered. I personally keep my HEPA filter by the treadmill and exercise bike.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:02 am

davidsorensen32 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:04 pm
Hello Bogleheads, we have an elliptical machine + a weight bench and currently looking at purchasing one more workout machine to add some variety to our workouts:

• Does anyone have a preference for where to purchase from? We don’t want to buy used. We’re Costco members hence leaning towards Costco but completely open to other sources

• This one seems to stand out: http://www.costco.com/LifeCORE-HRT-Rowi ... 06411.html among everything else in terms of number and quality of reviews

• Among rowers: http://www.costco.com/XTERRA%C2%AE-MB50 ... 33262.html is the top one but lots of bad reviews.

* Among stair masters : Costco doesn't seem to carry any (at least costco.com doesn't). Here is one top rated from Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/StairMaster-1400 ... tairmaster

• Anyone have any experience with this one ? http://www.costco.com/Total-Gym-FORCE.p ... 19390.html . I’ve never worked out on anything close

Any other recommendations ?
You should decide what you enjoy working out on most. It might be a gym where you try on something new for a week, or if you can swing it local YMCA has trial basis membership. Why I say that is if you end up getting something you haven’t tried based on recommendations here you might not like it, and won’t exercise on it as often.

selters

Post by selters » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:47 am

Never buy any budget or even mid-range treadmills, rowers, spin bikes or ellipticals, especially not if you are over 200 lbs. Concept 2 is the only game in town for rowers. Premium treadmills or ellipticals from Cybex or Precor are generally only meant for commercial gyms, but anything else is useless if you ask me.

Mid-range is ok for free weights. Rogue and York barbell come to mind.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:37 am

leonard wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:25 pm
Power Rack. EliteFTS, Rogue, Texas Strength Systems have great set ups if you only want to buy new.
Came to post this. All you need to get cardio is a good pair of shoes, but to get strong you need heavy things to lift and a way to do it safely.

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:42 am

selters wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:47 am
Never buy any budget or even mid-range treadmills, rowers, spin bikes or ellipticals, especially not if you are over 200 lbs. Concept 2 is the only game in town for rowers. Premium treadmills or ellipticals from Cybex or Precor are generally only meant for commercial gyms, but anything else is useless if you ask me.

+100; great advice.

One thing about commercial-grade treadmills -- double-check the power requirements, and understand how much they weigh (a *lot*!).

The nice thing about the Concept rower is, it's the same exact model you can find in commercial gyms and training facilities, and it's fairly light and relatively inexpensive (~$1k).

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:41 am

Another big fan of the Concept2 rower here. I enjoy the detailed logging aspect, and the Concept2 online challenges are somewhat motivational. As for back pain, yes, you can develop that with bad form and overexertion. The one great thing about the rower is that your workout controls the intensity. If your body hurts that day, just pull a little lighter. Also, ease up on the drag factor...it's not the "resistance dial." A damper setting of 3-4 provides a great workout and is probably appropriate for 95+% of people.

Recently, I've started using a Concept2 skierg for variety (think vertical rower). It's a great choice for anyone with lower body injuries, and it works the anterior chain instead of the posterior chain, so it's a good complement to rowing.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:36 am

CppCoder wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:41 am
Another big fan of the Concept2 rower here. I enjoy the detailed logging aspect, and the Concept2 online challenges are somewhat motivational. As for back pain, yes, you can develop that with bad form and overexertion. The one great thing about the rower is that your workout controls the intensity. If your body hurts that day, just pull a little lighter. Also, ease up on the drag factor...it's not the "resistance dial." A damper setting of 3-4 provides a great workout and is probably appropriate for 95+% of people.
Recently, I've started using a Concept2 skierg for variety (think vertical rower). It's a great choice for anyone with lower body injuries, and it works the anterior chain instead of the posterior chain, so it's a good complement to rowing.
Yes - the rowers I love at the community gyms are Concept 2. The models there have the displays. From what I read, if you do not have back problems, rowing is good for the back. However, if you have some kinds of back problems - rowing can be bad. There are some nice online videos about proper techniques for the Concept 2.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:00 am

nick evets wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:42 am
selters wrote:

+100; great advice.

One thing about commercial-grade treadmills -- double-check the power requirements, and understand how much they weigh (a *lot*!).

The nice thing about the Concept rower is, it's the same exact model you can find in commercial gyms and training facilities, and it's fairly light and relatively inexpensive (~$1k).
AND, I disagree with this as well.

I run on a mid-range $1500 retail Sole F80 treadmill, and I run a lot and pretty hard on it (down to 6 min/mile and lots of 5-12% climbs). It won't fail on you, and is rock solid. Nearly all the other $1500 treadmills in this category are similarly regarded across tons of forum users in running forums.

I however, would be more hesitant to recommend TMs under <$1000 for the serious runner. For walkers and slow runners, probably fine.

Commerical TMs are super-overkill even for an elite runner, who won't be logging more than 20 mile per day on it.

craigers

Post by craigers » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 am

A Concept2 model D indoor rower is by far the best total body workout piece of equipment available.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 am

Umm... If you think about buying home exercise equipment, don't. It's not a good financial decision. With $20 gym membership, you'll get an environment that you can focus on working out and getting the most out of your time. There's also add-ons such as sauna, swimming pool, basketball court, classes included in monthly membership. You don't have to worry about repairing & maintaining equipment.

ETCS10

Post by ETCS10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Have a Concept D rower and Landice L7 treadmill both are great and get used a few times a week but the best indoor item's I have are for the bikes I already owned. If you are a avid cyclist you most likely have a few bikes(formula for number of bikes is N+1 where "N"= bikes currently owned). If you have a power meter on the bike a good Fluid trainer like the Cyclops or Kirk Kinetic and if no power meter a nice Direct Drive trainer like the Wahoo kicker or TRAX Neo. Pair this with with a $10 a month($100 a year) subscription to TrainerRoad or Zwift and you will make gains in cycling power and trim down quickly.

While peddling to nowhere can get boring having a TV with Netflix/Hulu along with the structured workouts from the online training plans make the time go by quickly. I mounted the TV to heavy duty closet door track system so it can easily be slid down the wall for easy viewing from any of the 3 pieces of equipment for long rides/runs/rows.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:32 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:00 pm
blevine wrote:
Stairs are by far the best workout with least wear and tear.
I've added carrying two 20 lb dumbbells up and down the stairs in my house during my morning oatmeal routine. 5 sets of 5 times which I guess is close to walking up 25 stories and back down. I'm rehabbing my ankle after surgery.
A weighted vest would be safer. You won't accidentally drop them on your toes when you get notice of an incoming ballistic missile ( ;) ), and they can be worn for long periods without interfering with routine activities.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:13 pm

thangngo wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 am
Umm... If you think about buying home exercise equipment, don't. It's not a good financial decision. With $20 gym membership, you'll get an environment that you can focus on working out and getting the most out of your time. There's also add-ons such as sauna, swimming pool, basketball court, classes included in monthly membership. You don't have to worry about repairing & maintaining equipment.
Most local gym memberships are no longer $20. If you've been grandfathered in years ago, it works, but that's a really, really low rate for most gyms. My YMCA here is $130/month for the family, and $100 for the individual.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 pm

lightheir wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:13 pm
thangngo wrote:
Most local gym memberships are no longer $20. If you've been grandfathered in years ago, it works, but that's a really, really low rate for most gyms. My YMCA here is $130/month for the family, and $100 for the individual.
Yeah, I don't know where people can find a legit gym for $20. My wife is a YMCA employee and it STILL costs us $29/month for a family membership. Full rate is over $100.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:17 pm

lightheir wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:00 am
nick evets wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:42 am
selters wrote:

+100; great advice.

AND, I disagree with this as well.

I run on a mid-range $1500 retail Sole F80 treadmill, and I run a lot and pretty hard on it (down to 6 min/mile and lots of 5-12% climbs). It won't fail on you, and is rock solid. Nearly all the other $1500 treadmills in this category are similarly regarded across tons of forum users in running forums.

I however, would be more hesitant to recommend TMs under <$1000 for the serious runner. For walkers and slow runners, probably fine.

Commerical TMs are super-overkill even for an elite runner, who won't be logging more than 20 mile per day on it.
You can occasionally find the Sole F60 for <$1000 on sale. I would definitely recommend that one.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 pm

lightheir wrote:
thangngo wrote:
Not to mention the added time commitment. I am very fortunate to have a pretty awesome corporate gym, and most of my workouts take place in the middle of my work-day, but I have a very extensive garage gym as well, which not only includes tons of implements the vast majority of gyms simply don't have (yoke, sled, lots and lots of bumpers), but that it takes me all of 5 seconds to access. If you will use it, the convenience factor of having a home gym is huge. Not having to drive there, possibly wait for my turn with specific equipment, and having the right equipment for my training goals/needs saves me ~1hr 6days/week and also has the tertiary benefit of having my children see me do it.

Countermoon

Post by Countermoon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:25 pm

You can get an incredible workout with just a medicine ball.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 pm
lightheir wrote:
thangngo wrote:
Yeah, I don't know where people can find a legit gym for $20. My wife is a YMCA employee and it STILL costs us $29/month for a family membership. Full rate is over $100.
My company's health care plan has a fitness program that cost $20 a month and have 9,500+ fitness location. I can use LA Fitness anywhere I go (close to home, close to work, traveling on the road, etc.) I also have a corporate gym inside the office building that is available free. It is smaller than LA Fitness but very useful for workouts during work week. Ask your HR, maybe there's some benefits available to you and you don't know.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Countermoon wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:25 pm
You can get an incredible workout with just a medicine ball.
...or at the park or with a set of gymnastic rings or with nothing but a barbell or with nothing at all. There is no best answer to this question, it all depends on you. I've invested quite a bit of money into a very extensive home gym (~$10k total over the years) and it saves me a ton of time and money and has a number of other benefits that most people likely don't consider, but my goals and lifestyle are distinct to me. Health, fitness, and exercise is also a large part of my career and overall lifestyle, so nothing I buy is going unused.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:54 pm

We are very fortunate to have County rec centers available at very good rates for residents. The "regular" rate per year is $195. For those of us over 55, the annual fee is only $60 and for DW only an added $30. The centers are closed on major holidays and some are not open Sundays, but some are. Two have included towel service and 4 or 5 have shower facilities. One has Saunas

retireearly

Post by retireearly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:35 pm
randomguy wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:22 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:06 pm
+1 for a treadmill for the winter, bikes are okay, elliptical seems like unnatural motion but easy on the joints
A rack, barbell, plates, and a bench are the best for working out (you don't have to be a young man to do it).
The Deadlift, Squat, Bench Press, Row, Dips, Curls, Pull-ups, Chin-ups, Lat Pull Down are great exercises.
A punching bag is also great although studies say it makes you more aggressive/hostile and it can damage your hands.
Treadmills are a waste of money.:) 99% of people can go outside and run (and no it being 10 degrees out doesn't mean you can't go out and run. Neither does being dark. ). You are much better off getting something that you can't reproduce for free. I can't see skipping the couple hundred bucks and not getting the concept 2 (nothing against the other machines but I have spend a hundred+ hours them at various gyms through the years so I like knowing what I am getting) if you want a rower. Pullup bar probably wins the bang for the buck in the exercise equipment world.

But in the end everyone will just give you their favorite exercise which is pretty useless. Some people like spinning, others rowing, some running, and some elipitically. You need to know who you are and not go by other people's opinions.
I disagree. I have run a lot outside and inside. Running inside has its cons, but also has a lot of pros. You can do it while doing something else. I often do it while catching a sports game I would be watching anyway. Or during the Walking Dead. Also, it takes less time. I can hop on and off in minutes versus getting all my cold weather gear on, stanching my GPS, etc. it’s also more flexible. I have some routes outside that I intentionally take because they take me so far away I have to go the distance to get back. But, it’s also hard if I am 3 miles into a run and something comes up, my pace is off, I get a cramp, or I’m just short on time, whatever, to cut it short.

We just replaced our Sole S70 that had 3,200 miles on it. The new S70 has about 150 so far.

As one that is a regular runner, I'd be lost w/o my Tmill. Many times, I have a small window to get things done and without the TM, I wouldn't get a run in and that is even in great conditions. Now, add to it dark, icy roads, kid issues, etc, and then the value of a TM explodes! As others said, I have looked forward to jumping on the last month or so since I have started watching a few series that I had never seen before (one being band of brothers)!

So, back to the OP 's question. I strongly recommend a quality TM, the more one plans on using it, the better TM one should get. Over the last 20-25 years, I've had two, a landice l7 and True, both great. I probably would have still had the original except for a move. Spend the money on a quality machine from a local company, even if it's a few extra bucks, it will be worth it. It should last a lifetime!

Then, a pullup bar, ab wheel and some other weights should be plenty. I cannot comment on a weight machine, like a bowflex, however.
Age:45, about to be single for first time since 1995. Kids 8/13. Current AA 70/30, Desired stock AA 50/50, overweight EM, Int SC and US SCV.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:40 pm

Northster wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:30 am
Despite the silly infomercials I am a fan of the Total Gym. It uses no electricity and makes use of your body weight to give a workout to a variety of muscles. Also, it is relatively compact and replaces several other pieces of equipment. Might want to supplement with treadmill or exercise bike for aerobics, though weather permitting I have found running, walking or bicycling to be more interesting.
Wow, another Total Gym user. Have mine since 2001, love the various workouts you can do on the unit. While you can do some lower body and cardio stuff, we also supplement with a treadmill or elliptical at our fitness center. As others have mentioned, you gotta use the machine to get results. We always had the TG set up in a room we use daily. Since it makes a lousy clothes rack, we work out...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:24 pm

thangngo wrote:
Umm... If you think about buying home exercise equipment, don't. It's not a good financial decision. With $20 gym membership, you'll get an environment that you can focus on working out and getting the most out of your time.
I would happily pay more than that to avoid the gym. I loathe gyms. The flexibility, comfort, and peace of working out at home or, for walking, nice parks and scenery are crucial for me.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:33 pm

fposte wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:24 pm
thangngo wrote:
Umm... If you think about buying home exercise equipment, don't. It's not a good financial decision. With $20 gym membership, you'll get an environment that you can focus on working out and getting the most out of your time.
I would happily pay more than that to avoid the gym. I loathe gyms. The flexibility, comfort, and peace of working out at home or, for walking, nice parks and scenery are crucial for me.
Different folks have different opinions and experiences. Both financially AND motivationally AND functionally - I am much, much more happy going to the very nearby local community gyms. I also (for free) walk outside at a park when the weather is good.

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:46 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:33 pm
fposte wrote:
thangngo wrote:
Different folks have different opinions and experiences.
Totally agree, and I know lots of people who feel the same way that you do about gyms. It's just that for people like me, buying exercise equipment can be an excellent financial decision. I've used my $300-at-the-time elliptical for 15 years, and yoga mats are cheap, so it's not like I've paid to recreate a gym at home.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:56 pm

fposte wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:46 pm
dm200 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:33 pm
fposte wrote:
thangngo wrote:
Different folks have different opinions and experiences.
Totally agree, and I know lots of people who feel the same way that you do about gyms. It's just that for people like me, buying exercise equipment can be an excellent financial decision. I've used my $300-at-the-time elliptical for 15 years, and yoga mats are cheap, so it's not like I've paid to recreate a gym at home.
If I bought equipment that I want to use for my workout, it would exceed 50k. When I visit small towns that do not have a national gym or local gym, I run outside and do body weight workout on yoga mat at home. Personally, I just can't have a comprehensive training with an elliptical.

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:28 pm

thangngo wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:56 pm

If I bought equipment that I want to use for my workout, it would exceed 50k. When I visit small towns that do not have a national gym or local gym, I run outside and do body weight workout on yoga mat at home. Personally, I just can't have a comprehensive training with an elliptical.
Yes, I can see that for you a gym makes more sense. I need an adaptive and adaptable workout more than I need a comprehensive one, so I'm better off at home.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:43 pm

Love stairmasters. Have one myself, the Stairmaster PT4000, bought it used for $400. On my second one used in 3 years, the first died. We love it, and use it often. Warning: if you have knees that are a little on the finicky side (eg, they get sore), you may want to limit use to 2 to 3 times per week.

As another option, treadmills that have elevations that go up to 30 or so percent also provide good fun and will make you sweat quickly. Lower knee impact than a stairmaster as well.
davidsorensen32 wrote:

creditdefaultswaps

Post by creditdefaultswaps » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:48 pm

+1 Water Rower

SunscreenYourGreen

Post by SunscreenYourGreen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:50 am

Another vote for anything not plugged into the wall. My preference is running outside, but if it's too cold (under 25 degrees), I'll whip out the kettlebells more often. You can get a bunch of kettlebells from Dicks for $12-$25 a piece. Definitely more cost effective and a better workout than an elliptical or stationary bike.

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:34 pm

If you're already doing cardio other places, I'd add a "Power Tower" ($100) that allows you to do pullups, chin ups, flex arm hang, pushups, knee raises, dips, and more.

My other choices for one piece of equipment would be a squat rack or a Weider Pro setup ($700), but those aren't practical for some home gyms.
Weider Pro: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/weider-pr ... urce=ifpla

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:17 pm

our fitness center has a Nustep https://www.google.com/search?ei=50heWr ... L8Tdk9oyr0
which is described as a recumbent cross trainer.
What I like about it is that there are separate setting for resistance on the foot pedals and the upper body. Home models run from $4k and up.
Always thinking a machine where you sit can not deliver the weight resistance workout of a treadmill or an elliptical yet this sucker does it all. Cardio, builds a quick sweat, upper and lower resistance and takes your breath away. And our fitness center easily handles the $4k-$6k 200 lb. models. Makes a nice home exerciser if you have a dedicated room and the bucks. Also provides many multi level clothe hanger functions and capacity.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:17 pm

thangngo wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:42 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
lightheir wrote:
thangngo wrote:
My company's health care plan has a fitness program that cost $20 a month and have 9,500+ fitness location. I can use LA Fitness anywhere I go (close to home, close to work, traveling on the road, etc.) I also have a corporate gym inside the office building that is available free. It is smaller than LA Fitness but very useful for workouts during work week. Ask your HR, maybe there's some benefits available to you and you don't know.
This is the kind of 'advice' that isn't useful - do you really think the average BHer has access to $20 corporate-sponsored gym memberships?

I too get perks at work - free MRI imaging (typically $500-$1000 a pop!) but I def wouldn't generalize my special situation and advise everyone else to just get low-cost MRIs for joint disease, as good luck getting the same cost I'm getting.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Once last thing to consider for all the younger folks and folks who still have decent joint integrity:

It is not necessarily a bad thing to load-bear on your joints. It's hard to study, but most of the long term observations on runners and sedentary folks suggest that moderate running actually HELPS stave off osteoarthritis. I hear so many YOUNG people that immediately write off running as "cartilage-damaging", when in fact, it's possibily (?likely) not the case so long as you haven't already had knee surgery or already have significant cartilage/knee damage.

My joints are still pretty good in my M40-50 age group, and I'm planning to use them in load-bearing ways as long as possible. My mom, who was completely sedentary and had no traumatic joint injuries, suffered from debilitating osteoarthritis by age 55 - I'm trying to avoid that!

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:34 pm

After using a C2 Model D off an on over the years at the office gym, we purchased one recently. It really is a great workout and not very expensive compared to other items out there.

I am planning to add their "SkiErg" to basement gym in the next few weeks / months to further compliment the Rower.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:36 pm

lightheir wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:17 pm
thangngo wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:42 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
lightheir wrote:
thangngo wrote:
This is the kind of 'advice' that isn't useful - do you really think the average BHer has access to $20 corporate-sponsored gym memberships?

I too get perks at work - free MRI imaging (typically $500-$1000 a pop!) but I def wouldn't generalize my special situation and advise everyone else to just get low-cost MRIs for joint disease, as good luck getting the same cost I'm getting.
Nope. It's the health care plan that have this discount program. If you read my advice again, you will see that I recommend checking with the HR and find out if there is any benefits that have not been utilized. I guess reading comprehension is a lost art in your case.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:22 pm

There are, often, many different types of low cost gyms (and similar) available. Some workplaces offer them (either onsite or at a facility), some healthplans (various types) offer them and some local jurisdictions (like my County) offer them. Ours, as I posted, is a HUGE bargain ($90 annuallky for the two of us!!) Even if we had to pay the regular cost ($195 each annually) it would be worth every penny.

Carnut

Post by Carnut » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:16 pm

I created a nice home gym in my frog and have committed to exercising of some sort for at least 30 minutes a day, six days a week. I purchased quite a few different items so that I wouldn't get bored and can really mix things up. I have a Concept 2 for rowing, life cycle elliptical, heavy bag for boxing, Powerblock dumbbells, and Inspire FT2 functional trainer. I use all of these items every week while watching Ted, car,or motivational videos on a 65 inch tv. The functional trainer is absolutely amazing and fun to use. Try one at a high end exercise shop or at the gym to see what you think. As we get older we lose muscle mass and I am going to do everything I can to fight it.

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:37 pm

lightheir wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 pm
Once last thing to consider for all the younger folks and folks who still have decent joint integrity:

It is not necessarily a bad thing to load-bear on your joints. It's hard to study, but most of the long term observations on runners and sedentary folks suggest that moderate running actually HELPS stave off osteoarthritis. I hear so many YOUNG people that immediately write off running as "cartilage-damaging", when in fact, it's possibily (?likely) not the case so long as you haven't already had knee surgery or already have significant cartilage/knee damage.

My joints are still pretty good in my M40-50 age group, and I'm planning to use them in load-bearing ways as long as possible. My mom, who was completely sedentary and had no traumatic joint injuries, suffered from debilitating osteoarthritis by age 55 - I'm trying to avoid that!
+1.

I've read a few studies over the years that show welght-lifting, aka "load bearing exercises", help with bone density, arthritis, and other things. Problems usually arise when you have poor form.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:28 pm

Get a yoga mat and do Pilates for core and planks for strength. Include stretching. You can do this for all your life, retaining mobility, strength and a healthy back.

Spin or row or treadmill (or whatever) can be an adjunct, or you can just go out for daily brisk walks for cardio.

If you get one machine or two and just use them you run risks, especially if you do not do core exercises in addition. I used to row and exercycle (and sometimes treadmill) every night after work. I did no core exercise. I had done it in the past and felt no need for it.

My back cratered because everything but my core was strong. I've done pilates/yoga/walking with a bit of running added in since then and no back problems and everything okay because I am in balance and stretched.

OF course, we're all individuals, and YMMV. This was my experience and perhaps it will be meaningful to you.

kaesler

Post by kaesler » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Another vote for a Concept2 rower. I found one at a reasonable prices on Craigslist 4 years ago and have used it regularly. Lots of information and workout plans online. I often watch a lecture or talk on Youtube while I row. Time then flies.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:51 pm

kaesler wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:53 pm
Another vote for a Concept2 rower. I found one at a reasonable prices on Craigslist 4 years ago and have used it regularly. Lots of information and workout plans online. I often watch a lecture or talk on Youtube while I row. Time then flies.
I suspect that if you do not need or want the display, you can get a good used one for a bargain.

Agggm

Post by Agggm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:15 pm

davidsorensen32 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:04 pm
Hello Bogleheads, we have an elliptical machine + a weight bench and currently looking at purchasing one more workout machine to add some variety to our workouts:

• Does anyone have a preference for where to purchase from? We don’t want to buy used. We’re Costco members hence leaning towards Costco but completely open to other sources

• This one seems to stand out: http://www.costco.com/LifeCORE-HRT-Rowi ... 06411.html among everything else in terms of number and quality of reviews

• Among rowers: http://www.costco.com/XTERRA%C2%AE-MB50 ... 33262.html is the top one but lots of bad reviews.

* Among stair masters : Costco doesn't seem to carry any (at least costco.com doesn't). Here is one top rated from Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/StairMaster-1400 ... tairmaster

• Anyone have any experience with this one ? http://www.costco.com/Total-Gym-FORCE.p ... 19390.html . I’ve never worked out on anything close

Any other recommendations ?
Yoga mat.

Be careful to do a lot of one fixed motion.