What is the best home exercise equipment?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
davidsorensen32

What is the best home exercise equipment?

Post by davidsorensen32 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Hello Bogleheads, we have an elliptical machine + a weight bench and currently looking at purchasing one more workout machine to add some variety to our workouts:

• Does anyone have a preference for where to purchase from? We don’t want to buy used. We’re Costco members hence leaning towards Costco but completely open to other sources

• This one seems to stand out: http://www.costco.com/LifeCORE-HRT-Rowi ... 06411.html among everything else in terms of number and quality of reviews

• Among rowers: http://www.costco.com/XTERRA%C2%AE-MB50 ... 33262.html is the top one but lots of bad reviews.

* Among stair masters : Costco doesn't seem to carry any (at least costco.com doesn't). Here is one top rated from Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/StairMaster-1400 ... tairmaster

• Anyone have any experience with this one ? http://www.costco.com/Total-Gym-FORCE.p ... 19390.html . I’ve never worked out on anything close

Any other recommendations ?
Last edited by davidsorensen32 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:42 am, edited 6 times in total.

mrc

Re: What is the best home exercise equipment?

Post by mrc » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:13 pm

The middle link is broken on the ®, try this one: http://www.costco.com/XTERRA%C2%AE-MB50 ... 33262.html
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:23 pm

If space is an issue, a Spinning Bike (Costco version in the previous post) can be an awesome compact workout. I paid $100 for a barely used spin bike on Craigslist for a way to bike during the coldest winter months.

It works your legs and arms and you set the tension for variations in the workout. Fast spinning (low to med tension, high rpm), standing hill climb (high tension), jumps (lift off the seat for 3 or so rotations, return to seat, repeat). You can do arm workouts with dips and curls. I can make a workout where I'm toast after 15 min or stretch it out. Pretty flexible.

If you are a runner, the best way to be a better runner is to run more. Biking is the same.

This is a good site:

http://www.spinning.com/en/
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

leehamster

Post by leehamster » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:25 pm

The best is of course the one you will actually use. I wouldn't buy anything unless you've done this activity enough to know you want to use it regularly.

If you get a rower, get the best one: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers. This is what gyms, college teams and rowing clubs use. I've had two, they work great and last many years. The Model D is just fine, but at $900 it's more expensive than the Costco one you linked to. I haven't rowed the Costco one, but I've rowed Water Rowers and lots of other junk over the year. Concept 2 is by far the best choice. (If you are a real rowing geek, Row Perfect is another possible choice. http://rp3rowingusa.com/)

PandaBear

Post by PandaBear » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:34 pm

Buy a 100 lb heavy bag and stand. Stress relief + exercise all in one.

Post by 123 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:39 pm

Any device that needs to be plugged in or needs batteries (anywhere) is usually good to avoid. This includes treadmills and similar electrically powered device that encourage you to exercise. It's really hard to beat the effectiveness of a set of weights, dumb bells, a chin-up bar of some type, and a jump rope. Many devices are prone to eventual mechanical failure like a rowing machine or a nordic ski trainer if you can deal with that.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

PandaBear

Post by PandaBear » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:57 pm

123 wrote:Any device that needs to be plugged in or needs batteries (anywhere) is usually good to avoid. This includes treadmills and similar electrically powered device that encourage you to exercise. It's really hard to beat the effectiveness of a set of weights, dumb bells, a chin-up bar of some type, and a jump rope. Many devices are prone to eventual mechanical failure like a rowing machine or a nordic ski trainer if you can deal with that.
+1

This is truth. I personally won't purchase an exercise device if it requires electricity or has more than 2 or 3 moving parts. And if it does have moving parts, make sure the nut/bolt/fastener has a high safety factor and made out of quality materials/steel. The last thing you need is the pin holding weights to shear off due to metal fatigue while you're doing reps or something similarly awful.

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:34 pm

Have you considered a stationary bike "spinner?" These units provide an upper body as well as a bicycle workout. Schwinn Airdynes (http://www.schwinnfitness.com/schwinn_f ... irdyne.jsp) are smallish (compared to most ellipticals), don't require an electrical outlet and are reasonably priced. I use one to complement swimming.

davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:58 pm

Thanks everyone for their excellent responses. What do you guys think about the StairMaster ? https://www.amazon.com/StairMaster-1400 ... tairmaster

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:00 pm

The machine you will actually use (realistically) is the best one to buy.

davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:01 pm

We'll use anything and everything. Been using the Elliptical for 10years now. Getting a little bored.
GoldenFinch wrote:The machine you will actually use (realistically) is the best one to buy.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:06 pm

The best home exercise equipment is your own body. You do not need any equipment to get a full body workout.

Kung Fu, Yoga, Tai Chi are examples. Most equipment is a gimmick in my opinion, with less than 100 years of history. I bet the vast majority of it goes unused.

That said, some equipment can make sense. If you are hardcore into rowing, biking or skiing, then an indoor machine makes sense.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:09 pm

davidsorensen32 wrote:We'll use anything and everything. Been using the Elliptical for 10years now. Getting a little bored.
GoldenFinch wrote:The machine you will actually use (realistically) is the best one to buy.
I understand. I go to a gym and do the same three things. It can get old. Probably healthier to mix things up a bit. :happy

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:32 pm

Treadmill. Hands down the single piece of equipment most likely to be used year after year. Rowers must be among the lowest -- most are clothes racks. Bikes and ellipticals are pretty good. We have all three and all get used. I've used a treadmill for 20 years -- a True and then a Precor. They're worth every penny. You don't need to run -- I like low-impact "hiking" at 4 mi/h with 8-10% grade. Can get an amazing workout fairly quickly. Spend the money (forgive me, BH) and get a decent one. There's not much worse than a terrible treadmill. A decade ago you needed to spend $3K (seriously) to get a decent one, but now you can get a really nice one for $1000. Check Consumer Reports for ratings. I get a lot of "medium-ticket" items at Costco but these I've only bought from actual fitness stores and had them delivered and assembled. Can also get refurbished commercial-grade (used) one from a club (sold online) -- I looked and looked but never quite had the courage to pull the trigger on one of those; if I had to send it back, it's like 500 lbs.

I strongly suggest getting a manually programmable one (not just one with 5 pre-loaded programs). I omitted this feature the first time around to save a few hundred bucks -- and had to wait 15 years for it to die so I could get this feature. (The reason: if you're exercising on an incline, you need to mix it up to avoid an insidious repetitive-stress-type injury and it can be hard to remember to drop the ramp every 5 min., etc.). Btw, I can't believe that you can spend $5K and still can not get one that you can just program with a phone app (?!). I could run my whole house from my phone, and remote-control my DSLR, but I can't program a treadmill without adjusting in real-time while it "saves" my work-out. If anybody out there wants to get rich...

The most important thing: put a flat-screen right in front of it with Netflix and/or Amazon and you're set. This has been amazing for the past few years. Regular TV is terrible, I'm not 16-24 so music alone won't cut it for me, I tried some DVD courses (eh), but binge-watching Netflix -- I almost can't wait to get home and work out.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:16 pm

:beer Must be the best original and authentic response I've read in a long time ! Thanks daveydoo. Clearly shows your love of working out ! Makes me want to workout right away !
daveydoo wrote:Treadmill. Hands down the single piece of equipment most likely to be used year after year. Rowers must be among the lowest -- most are clothes racks. Bikes and ellipticals are pretty good. We have all three and all get used. I've used a treadmill for 20 years -- a True and then a Precor. They're worth every penny. You don't need to run -- I like low-impact "hiking" at 4 mi/h with 8-10% grade. Can get an amazing workout fairly quickly. Spend the money (forgive me, BH) and get a decent one. There's not much worse than a terrible treadmill. A decade ago you needed to spend $3K (seriously) to get a decent one, but now you can get a really nice one for $1000. Check Consumer Reports for ratings. I get a lot of "medium-ticket" items at Costco but these I've only bought from actual fitness stores and had them delivered and assembled. Can also get refurbished commercial-grade (used) one from a club (sold online) -- I looked and looked but never quite had the courage to pull the trigger on one of those; if I had to send it back, it's like 500 lbs.

I strongly suggest getting a manually programmable one (not just one with 5 pre-loaded programs). I omitted this feature the first time around to save a few hundred bucks -- and had to wait 15 years for it to die so I could get this feature. (The reason: if you're exercising on an incline, you need to mix it up to avoid an insidious repetitive-stress-type injury and it can be hard to remember to drop the ramp every 5 min., etc.). Btw, I can't believe that you can spend $5K and still can not get one that you can just program with a phone app (?!). I could run my whole house from my phone, and remote-control my DSLR, but I can't program a treadmill without adjusting in real-time while it "saves" my work-out. If anybody out there wants to get rich...

The most important thing: put a flat-screen right in front of it with Netflix and/or Amazon and you're set. This has been amazing for the past few years. Regular TV is terrible, I'm not 16-24 so music alone won't cut it for me, I tried some DVD courses (eh), but binge-watching Netflix -- I almost can't wait to get home and work out.

Compound

Post by Compound » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:41 pm

Another vote for the concept 2 model D. Not cheap, but a very nice rower! Gives a great workout. If you go this direction and are a beginner, concept 2 has some great videos on how to row on their website that are a big help.

tm3

Post by tm3 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:31 pm

If you want to do HIIT with more full body engagement, Concept 2 or Schwinn Airdyne. WaterRower is another good rower alternative and looks better than the C2.

I personally prefer a spin bike.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:31 pm

davidsorensen32 wrote: Thanks daveydoo.
Gotta give back in the few places I can in this forum!

If you do go the rower route, it's good to know ahead of time if it's something you can really do. I have a colleague who has used one for decades, but many more (very fit) friends and family members who got a sore back after a week or a month and were never able to tolerate it. I don't know if it's "user error" or what, but it's a real phenomenon. This is definitely one of the "use it for a few months in a club first" things, imo.

Some family members like the bike but for me it's just too boring.

Good luck!
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:17 am

leehamster wrote: If you get a rower, get the best one: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers. This is what gyms, college teams and rowing clubs use. I've had two, they work great and last many years. The Model D is just fine, but at $900 it's more expensive than the Costco one you linked to. I haven't rowed the Costco one, but I've rowed Water Rowers and lots of other junk over the year. Concept 2 is by far the best choice. (If you are a real rowing geek, Row Perfect is another possible choice. http://rp3rowingusa.com/)
The Concept 2 is well worth the money, if you use it. Very reliable, very durable. Great online community, allows you to compare your results thousands of others. Great customer support. I rowed on the Row Perfect. I liked the feel, but overall thought they were unreliable, and vastly overpriced.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:41 am

davidsorensen32 wrote:Hello Bogleheads, we have an elliptical machine + a weight bench and currently looking at purchasing one more workout machine to add some variety to our workouts:

• Does anyone have a preference for where to purchase from? We don’t want to buy used. We’re Costco members hence leaning towards Costco but completely open to other sources

• This one seems to stand out: http://www.costco.com/LifeCORE-HRT-Rowi ... 06411.html among everything else in terms of number and quality of reviews

• Among rowers: http://www.costco.com/XTERRA%C2%AE-MB50 ... 33262.html is the top one but lots of bad reviews.

* Among stair masters : Costco doesn't seem to carry any (at least costco.com doesn't). Here is one top rated from Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/StairMaster-1400 ... tairmaster

• Anyone have any experience with this one ? http://www.costco.com/Total-Gym-FORCE.p ... 19390.html . I’ve never worked out on anything close

Any other recommendations ?
You will be disappointed if you asked forum members what *they think* is the best home exercise equipment. If you don't try it out yourself, don't feel comfortable working out using it, you will never end up using it -- doesn't matter how good the product is and how well it exercises your whole body/areas of concern.

I have seen some recommendations on concept2 rower. I have it. It is excellent rower. But there are numerous examples of people buying it and then not having enough motivation (indoor rowing IS BORING, unless you find something that will keep you interested) and getting rid of it. It is very good exercise but it is also unique, and not everyone is able to do it long term.

Try things (in gym for instance) for a while and then decide on what you want to buy. Unless you are asking for *specific equipment which you have already tried and liked* this thread is going to be futile exercise and you will end up wasting money.

Biglaw Investor

Post by Biglaw Investor » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:10 am

I own a Water Rower - they are great, beautiful and don't make a lot of noise. I'm not a rowing geek by any stretch, but it's a great home exercise option for my small NYC apartment.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:04 am

I bought my entire home gym for about 1,100-2,200 used except for a Power Rack that cost 375.

I have a bench that can be moved in 5 positions. I also bought this new for 125.
various dumb bells from 2lbs to 40lbs (Craigslist I am guessing I bought them all for 100-150) Have 2 sets of 2lbs, 5lbs, 10lbs, 15lbs, 20lbs, 25lbs, 30lbs, 35lbs, 40lbs, all rubber.
A 45lbs bar and weights for it up to 400lbs (Craigslist, looked brand new. I think I remember the owner bought it new for 350 on sale, I paid 150)
Treadmill (Craigslist New: Not exactly sure but it works great. Had it for 2 years and paid 200 for it)
Stationary Bike (Craigslist: New it was around 1,000....got it for $150).

Weighed 425lbs, currently weigh 195lbs.

I got tired of going to the gym and waiting for people chatting while on a machine.

Buying all this stuff new I'd spend I don't know around 5k-6k?

BUY USED: People buy this stuff new and in 2 weeks use it to hang clothes on.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:25 am

Get P90X and some hand weights.

Done.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:29 am

Bacchus01 wrote:Get P90X and some hand weights.

Done.
Agree 100%. My wife and I love this program. The only home equipment we have is a joist mounted pull-up bar and some Bowflex selecttech weights.

davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:44 am

I started with Insanity but with age its getting harder and harder - especially the last 4 workouts are a killer
TRC wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:Get P90X and some hand weights.

Done.
Agree 100%. My wife and I love this program. The only home equipment we have is a joist mounted pull-up bar and some Bowflex selecttech weights.

Ryanlion8506

Post by Ryanlion8506 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Depends on what you enjoy doing. I've been training for years and do consulting with clients on the side. My wife and I invested in top of the line Rogue fitness equipment and have completely converted our garage to a home gym and have zero regrets! I have horse stall mats for the flooring from tractor supply, much better and cheaper than any gym flooring you will find. I train my wife doing strength training. Lol, so many women think they will "bulk up" if they strength train, I always laugh because if that were the case every man alive who works out would be huge, but they are not. We have a nice power rack, his and her barbells, Olympic rubber weight plates, 2 benches, one flat and one incline/decline, entire band system with door anchor, trap bar, curl bar, adjustable Dumbbells. This was the best investment we ever made, no more dealing with annoying people at gyms and paying monthly memberships.

Cardio: We are investing in punching bag, and C2 rower as we go. The C2 rower is the way to go if you want a great cardio workout without knee, back, foot pain. Not to mention, you can fold it up. Treadmills are huge, plus if I'm going to run or jog I prefer the outdoors.

Good luck and if you want something that will last longer than your grandchildren and Made in U.S.A., check out Roguefitness.com Not cheap, but best quality. Can someone tell me how to attach photo? I'd love to show you mine.

Ryanlion8506

Post by Ryanlion8506 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:59 pm

Fieldsy1024 wrote:I bought my entire home gym for about 1,100-2,200 used except for a Power Rack that cost 375.

I have a bench that can be moved in 5 positions. I also bought this new for 125.
various dumb bells from 2lbs to 40lbs (Craigslist I am guessing I bought them all for 100-150) Have 2 sets of 2lbs, 5lbs, 10lbs, 15lbs, 20lbs, 25lbs, 30lbs, 35lbs, 40lbs, all rubber.
A 45lbs bar and weights for it up to 400lbs (Craigslist, looked brand new. I think I remember the owner bought it new for 350 on sale, I paid 150)
Treadmill (Craigslist New: Not exactly sure but it works great. Had it for 2 years and paid 200 for it)

I got tired of going to the gym and waiting for people chatting while on a machine.

Awesome!!! That's amazing, congratulations. :happy Exactly what I try to do with folks I work with.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:30 pm

For me personally, I'd never use a rower but I do get good use out of a treadmill and exercise bike, along with hand weights for upper body. So this is a very personalized question, as others have already pointed out.

I do want to second the suggestion to have a TV or tablet situated where you can watch something during your workout. Both my bike and treadmill have tablet / book holders. I'll spin up a favorite TV show on my Surface Pro 3 to watch while working out. I've used exercise equipment while traveling (at hotels) without such distractions, but it seems to make the workout go quicker when I do have something to watch.

leonard

Post by leonard » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:25 pm

Power Rack. EliteFTS, Rogue, Texas Strength Systems have great set ups if you only want to buy new.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Ryanlion8506 wrote:
Fieldsy1024 wrote:I bought my entire home gym for about 1,100-2,200 used except for a Power Rack that cost 375.

Awesome!!! That's amazing, congratulations. :happy Exactly what I try to do with folks I work with.
Thanks

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:48 pm

Go to google and put in health benefits of a rebounder. You`ll be amazed.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:54 pm

We have been using a Nordic Track treadmill for years.
Purchased this Pro Form exercise bike from Sams about 9 months ago.
We are really enjoying using it(on the back deck) daily:happy

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/proform-51 ... 0300235.ip
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:58 pm

Best investment I ever made was $260 for a slightly used Schwinn DX900 exercycle back in 1987, well before the "spinning" craze. I am still using that thing...it's a heavy duty old school gym-quality bike, great for warming up for strength training and aero during the winters here. Never an excuse not to work out and it's easier on the knees. (In fact my knee doctor said to stick with cycling and not even to walk for my training. His running patients were just killing their knees but couldn't stop.)

Come summer I'm out on my road bike and ready to go. :happy

Ryanlion8506

Post by Ryanlion8506 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:22 am

leonard wrote:Power Rack. EliteFTS, Rogue, Texas Strength Systems have great set ups if you only want to buy new.
Completely agree!

Ryanlion8506

Post by Ryanlion8506 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:25 am

Mudpuppy wrote:For me personally, I'd never use a rower but I do get good use out of a treadmill and exercise bike, along with hand weights for upper body. So this is a very personalized question, as others have already pointed out.

I do want to second the suggestion to have a TV or tablet situated where you can watch something during your workout. Both my bike and treadmill have tablet / book holders. I'll spin up a favorite TV show on my Surface Pro 3 to watch while working out. I've used exercise equipment while traveling (at hotels) without such distractions, but it seems to make the workout go quicker when I do have something to watch.
Loud music and sweat. TV is one reason I set up my home gym, to get away from that. But I understand, everyone is different. :wink:

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:36 am

Just wondering, why don't you want to buy used? Exercise equipment is such a great deal, because so many people buy new and use it for a month. I know my parents bought a new treadmill when I was a kid. It was brand new and it was an awesome rack to hang clothes on.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:37 am

Ryanlion8506 wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:For me personally, I'd never use a rower but I do get good use out of a treadmill and exercise bike, along with hand weights for upper body. So this is a very personalized question, as others have already pointed out.

Loud music and sweat. TV is one reason I set up my home gym, to get away from that. But I understand, everyone is different. :wink:
Loud music and a muted TV for the win!

Ryanlion8506

Post by Ryanlion8506 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:38 am

Fieldsy1024 wrote:Just wondering, why don't you want to buy used? Exercise equipment is such a great deal, because so many people buy new and use it for a month. I know my parents bought a new treadmill when I was a kid. It was brand new and it was an awesome rack to hang clothes on.

Agree. I only bought new because what I wanted you literally can't find used because most people why buy it are pretty serious lifters and don't stop working out 3 months after their New Years resolution is over, lol. Plus, my equipment is outliving generations like I said before, first and last lifting equipment ever. Now cardio is different story. You can find great used cardio equipment because many people who buy this equipment quit shortly after the newness is over.

With that said, older treadmills can be scary, I've seen some bad things happen.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:57 pm

Ryanlion8506 wrote:
Fieldsy1024 wrote:Just wondering, why don't you want to buy used? Exercise equipment is such a great deal, because so many people buy new and use it for a month. I know my parents bought a new treadmill when I was a kid. It was brand new and it was an awesome rack to hang clothes on.

Agree. I only bought new because what I wanted you literally can't find used because most people why buy it are pretty serious lifters and don't stop working out 3 months after their New Years resolution is over, lol. Plus, my equipment is outliving generations like I said before, first and last lifting equipment ever. Now cardio is different story. You can find great used cardio equipment because many people who buy this equipment quit shortly after the newness is over.

With that said, older treadmills can be scary, I've seen some bad things happen.
Agreed. The treadmill I bought used I tested it out, looked at the tread, read reviews, and got a steal.

My stationary bike same thing.

With weights, as long as their is no rust they will out live anyone here if you take care of em.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:11 am

TV in front oi the treadmill is wonderful! If you DVR your favorite programs, you can watch a one hour show in 40 minutes. That is just about how long my regular routine takes.

Northster

Post by Northster » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:30 am

Despite the silly infomercials I am a fan of the Total Gym. It uses no electricity and makes use of your body weight to give a workout to a variety of muscles. Also, it is relatively compact and replaces several other pieces of equipment. Might want to supplement with treadmill or exercise bike for aerobics, though weather permitting I have found running, walking or bicycling to be more interesting.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:06 pm

+1 for a treadmill for the winter, bikes are okay, elliptical seems like unnatural motion but easy on the joints
A rack, barbell, plates, and a bench are the best for working out (you don't have to be a young man to do it).
The Deadlift, Squat, Bench Press, Row, Dips, Curls, Pull-ups, Chin-ups, Lat Pull Down are great exercises.
A punching bag is also great although studies say it makes you more aggressive/hostile and it can damage your hands.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Short answer is — the equipment you will use. When I was in my 40s, this was yoga mat and things related to my yoga exercising.

For Christmas, D and S bought us a water rower, which we all enjoy and is pretty gentle to the joints while exercising 85% of your muscles. It can be stored upright so it takes little more space than a grandfather clock.

So far, H and I have used the rower each morning and evening since unboxing it. When D was visiting, she also used it at least 2x/day. You can get a good workout in a fairly short period of time.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:06 pm
+1 for a treadmill for the winter, bikes are okay, elliptical seems like unnatural motion but easy on the joints
A rack, barbell, plates, and a bench are the best for working out (you don't have to be a young man to do it).
The Deadlift, Squat, Bench Press, Row, Dips, Curls, Pull-ups, Chin-ups, Lat Pull Down are great exercises.
A punching bag is also great although studies say it makes you more aggressive/hostile and it can damage your hands.
Treadmills are a waste of money.:) 99% of people can go outside and run (and no it being 10 degrees out doesn't mean you can't go out and run. Neither does being dark. ). You are much better off getting something that you can't reproduce for free. I can't see skipping the couple hundred bucks and not getting the concept 2 (nothing against the other machines but I have spend a hundred+ hours them at various gyms through the years so I like knowing what I am getting) if you want a rower. Pullup bar probably wins the bang for the buck in the exercise equipment world.

But in the end everyone will just give you their favorite exercise which is pretty useless. Some people like spinning, others rowing, some running, and some elipitically. You need to know who you are and not go by other people's opinions.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:29 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:22 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Treadmills are a waste of money.:) 99% of people can go outside and run (and no it being 10 degrees out doesn't mean you can't go out and run. Neither does being dark. ). You are much better off getting something that you can't reproduce for free. I can't see skipping the couple hundred bucks and not getting the concept 2 (nothing against the other machines but I have spend a hundred+ hours them at various gyms through the years so I like knowing what I am getting) if you want a rower. Pullup bar probably wins the bang for the buck in the exercise equipment world.

But in the end everyone will just give you their favorite exercise which is pretty useless. Some people like spinning, others rowing, some running, and some elipitically. You need to know who you are and not go by other people's opinions.
Totally disagree. For the RIGHT people, treadmills are bar none, incredible - super effective, super safe, super convenient, and for the regular runner, used a lot.

Note that the one thing I def would NOT recommend is for a non-runner to buy a treadmill in HOPES that they'll start running. I'd actually make the recommendation with all exercise equipment. If you're not already a regular, either outdoors or using similar equipment at your local gym, it's doubtful you'll maintain an exercise regimen just by buying the equipment.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:29 pm

randomguy wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:

This thread is old so the OP probably made a decision by now.
Regarding treadmills being a waste of money - mine certainly hasn't been for me. It's not the 10 degree weather that prevents running in the winter but the lack of a surface to run on (hard to run on ice and snow and snowshowing, cross country skiing, or trying to run with crampons just don't work for me)

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:09 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:29 pm
randomguy wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:

This thread is old so the OP probably made a decision by now.
Regarding treadmills being a waste of money - mine certainly hasn't been for me. It's not the 10 degree weather that prevents running in the winter but the lack of a surface to run on (hard to run on ice and snow and snowshowing, cross country skiing, or trying to run with crampons just don't work for me)

I spend over a decade running in winter in places like indiana, Toronto, upstate new york, and vermont. There were a handful of days in that time period where the weather conditions made running outside impossible. You get the hang of running in those conditions in a hurry. YMMV. After all there is always the chance your in the 1%:)

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:25 am
Get P90X and some hand weights.

Done.

Agree completely. Or get Beachbody On Demand and have a wealth of options.

Run outside.

If you must run inside (I do) get a decent treadmill in the $1000 range. The Sole S60 is an amazing bargain.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:35 pm

randomguy wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:

I disagree. I have run a lot outside and inside. Running inside has its cons, but also has a lot of pros. You can do it while doing something else. I often do it while catching a sports game I would be watching anyway. Or during the Walking Dead. Also, it takes less time. I can hop on and off in minutes versus getting all my cold weather gear on, stanching my GPS, etc. it’s also more flexible. I have some routes outside that I intentionally take because they take me so far away I have to go the distance to get back. But, it’s also hard if I am 3 miles into a run and something comes up, my pace is off, I get a cramp, or I’m just short on time, whatever, to cut it short.

We just replaced our Sole S70 that had 3,200 miles on it. The new S70 has about 150 so far.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:36 pm

randomguy wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:
I used to believe that. I use community gyms - and one has a great indoor 1/8 milt track. I have stopped jogging/running (back hurts when I do) so I do brisk walking. I alternate track walking on different days with use of a tradmill to use the incline to push up level of effort without the issues with jogging/running.