Favorite ski resort

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
chrisam314

Favorite ski resort

Post by chrisam314 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:07 pm

For those who ski/snowboard- What is your favorite ski resort? My girlfriend and I will be booking a trip for this upcoming winter. We did Deer Valley last year and loved it. Some things we really liked: the snow(compared to growing up skiing in the poconos), flying to Salt Lake and taking a shuttle was a breeze. The food was great as were the people. We stayed right across from the lodge. And the food/nightlife in Park City is great. We did an early season deal so it wasn't too pricey

We want to try somewhere else this winter. Any recommendations?

White Coat Investor

Re: Favorite ski resort

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:10 am

chrisam314 wrote:For those who ski/snowboard- What is your favorite ski resort? My girlfriend and I will be booking a trip for this upcoming winter. We did Deer Valley last year and loved it. Some things we really liked: the snow(compared to growing up skiing in the poconos), flying to Salt Lake and taking a shuttle was a breeze. The food was great as were the people. We stayed right across from the lodge. And the food/nightlife in Park City is great. We did an early season deal so it wasn't too pricey

The skiing is better in the Cottonwood resorts on the Salt Lake side, but the night life isn't as great. You could stay downtown and drive up to a different resort every day. It's only a 30-45 minute drive to 7 world class ski resorts.

Tahoe resorts can also be nice, but snow quality can be iffy. Sometimes heavy and sometimes barren. Colorado resorts can also be great, but generally higher and colder. Even Taos in NM and Sun Valley in ID can be nice. But it is tough to beat the combination available in Park City of nightlife, proximity to the slopes, pretty good snow, and exceptional beginner/intermediate terrain. If you like Deer Valley (and most locals don't) don't expect the same level of posh (and grooming) at many other places.

Good luck with your choice.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Erwin

Post by Erwin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:23 am

By far Les Trois Vallées in France
http://www.les3vallees.com/en/ski/ski-area.208/
Erwin

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:41 am

Oh yea, I was just thinking domestic. Going international opens all kinds of possibilities like New Zealand and Chile in the summer.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Norsky19

Post by Norsky19 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:54 am

Bridger bowl

www.bridgerbowl.com

Awesome local hill....featured in Warren Miller movies with Scott Schmidt.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:03 am

Depends what you're looking for.

Adrenaline rushing, steep skiing with awesome snow - Jackson Hole.
Downsides are that nightlife is mediocre and its a pain to get to...not a ton of direct flights and every time I've been there, airport closed down due to too much snow and I got stuck there an extra day or two (not always a bad thing)

Balance between pretty good skiing with terrain for all skill levels and great restaurants and nightlife - Vail.
Downsides - pretty damn expensive but relatively easy to get to and the resort makes everything easy. You can go the whole day without seeing others on the mountain because it's so spread out so it feels like you've got the place to yourself except on exceptionally crowded days.

Great skiing but not pretentious at all and really cheap - Crystal Mountain in Washington. Lift tickets are cheap, skiing is great but there's like 2 restaurants and its not really a destination resort. It's more of a local mountain but for a two day trip its great. Fly into Seattle, and it's a little less than two hours drive from the airport

pochax

Post by pochax » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:34 am

Steamboat (Steamboat Springs, CO) - excellent, family friendly, probably not the same night life as Vail but skiing/snow is amazing.

i liked Heavenly in Lake Tahoe as well - can't beat the view of that Lake!

Whistler/Blackcomb in British Columbia is nice as well.

50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:55 am

None of these compare to Yawgoo Ski Valley in Rhode Island.

southbay

Post by southbay » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:02 am

Jackson Hole & Vail

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:06 am

If cost is a factor, Copper Mountain in Colorado is a good mountain for a great deal, especially for non-Colorado residents.

I buy a 4 pack each spring for around $160. Some years they throw in an extra day, which means $32 to $40 per lift ticket.

IowaGuy25

Post by IowaGuy25 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:22 am

Keystone & Breckenridge, Colorado

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:26 am

I'm not much of a skier, but I really enjoyed Jackson Hole. A friend has a condo there (lucky us) so we got to ski in/ski out.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:31 am

chrisam314 wrote:We did Deer Valley last year and loved it. Some things we really liked: the snow(compared to growing up skiing in the poconos), flying to Salt Lake and taking a shuttle was a breeze. The food was great as were the people. We stayed right across from the lodge. And the food/nightlife in Park City is great.

We want to try somewhere else this winter.

I've also skied a lot in the Poconos, so pretty much anywhere you go will be step up. However, SLC and Deer Valley set quite a high bar.

Are your travel dates flexible? More than anything, weather conditions can be the make it or break it variable and the one you have least control over. So play the odds in your favor. The best is if you can go mid-late winter, not during holidays, and after resorts receive early season snow fall reports.

http://gator1314.hostgator.com/~bestsnow/fam_ski.htm

What kind of skiing do you want? Powder? Groomers? Backcountry? Cruisers? Steeps? Bumps? Terrain park? Face shots?

Do either of you suffer altitude sickness? If you do or don't know, be prepared if booking the high altitude resorts. Are sunny bluebird days important? Pacific NW resorts sometimes can be foggy/cloudy.

In no particular order, the places I think offer the best combo of skiing and apres ski would include: Whistler-Blackcomb, Heavenly, Squaw, Vail, Breckenridge.

These forums are a great resource:

http://forum.pugski.com/

http://www.epicski.com/f/
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

mevans154

Post by mevans154 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:19 am

IowaGuy25 wrote:Keystone & Breckenridge, Colorado

+1 (Especially Keystone!)
"Be greedy when everyone is panicking, and panic when everyone else is greedy"... Couldn't agree more!!!

Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:22 am

Whistler has the most vertical in north america and is my favorite.

Breckenridge is great but super crowded.

If you want to get away from everyone and have an enormous mountain all to yourself, Big Sky, MT.

Wayson

Post by Wayson » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:30 am

Breckenridge, CO is my personal favorite, although the chair lines can get long and it always seems to be jam-packed. Keystone is probably a close second though, with the bonus that they have tubing for people who don't ski.

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:47 am

Alta. No snowboards. :happy
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

kenner

Post by kenner » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:49 am

Vail/Beaver Creek, though expensive, probably has the best combination of skiing variety, convenience, entertainment/nightlife, and dining.

Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:08 am

Steamboat Springs Colorado, nobody cares what you wear and mountains are long runs and at the bottom there was a warm pool to get in as it was snowing but in mid-winter it was in the 70s while all this was going on....felt very close to the sun up there!

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:56 am

tludwig23 wrote:Alta. No snowboards. :happy

Oh the skiing is spectcular, especially for intermediate to advanced. The nightlife and accommodations? Not so much. But you can drive a few minutes down the hill and come see me.

Labrat

Post by Labrat » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:12 pm

I live in the mountains of CO, so I am biased to our state.
A good time depends on what you're looking for. My two favorites for true skiers are Telluride and Steamboat, as they have the best snow, and tree skiing available....but come in Feb or March. However, they are off the beaten path and a destination to themselves. Steamboat is close to my cabin, so again, I'm biased, but the snow is always better up there. A good vacation of skiing and nightlife would be Keystone/Brek/A-Basin which you can get a pass to ski all the mountains for several days as they have the same mgmt. company. A-Basin is a hoot in the spring, as they usually stay open well into June, and it's bikinis and BBQ's with a touch of skiing thrown in. Vail is aweful....I've lived here 20+ years and only skied there twice because I had to. Waaaay too pricy and pretentious for me to actually enjoy myself and the actual skiing is meh at best; but hey, I'm a local. Check out Winter Park/Mary Jane as well. It's closer to Denver than the others, and has great snow since it's right on the divide. I drove through there yesterday, and still has snow on the peaks. It's a mellow town, but does have plenty to offer.
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

nova1968

Post by nova1968 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Mt Bachelor in Bend, Oregon is good, several chairlifts and not too crowded.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:26 pm

As others pointed out, let us know if you have a budget or preference for geography and how many ski days you're considering.

I've been snowboarding for 20+ years, and do a guy's trip at least once a year, so I have a lot of feedback. Did Whistler and Telluride this year, for example. Whistler and Vail last year.

Whistler is hands down the best ski resort mountain and town in north america, period. Slightly biased, but you can look up all the magazine research and top lists, and they typically come out #1 for a reason. You can fly into VAN, but it is far cheaper to fly into Bellingham WA and drive up, or even Seattle if you want to spend a night there or have friends. I've done all 3, and Bellingham is the best option, just 10mi over the border, and any option will require at least 1-2 hour drive regardless, so you need a car anyway. But for comparison - from SoCal a flight to VAN is $500+ because international, while we typically get Bellingham for $200-220 via Alaska. Use Costco or similar for car rental. And the whistler/blackcomb websites have the best combo deals on lodging and lift ticket packages by far, usually 30% off. Especially now with the CAD so devalued to the USD. Everything was 30%+ off this year. I think lift tickets were like $85 US per day this year, insane cheap. We typically get 4-5 nights of a nice 2bed condo, with lift tickets, for like $400-500 per guy. A steal. And most all the lodging is on the main drag, so you can walk to the gondola every morning. Only drive twice - once in, once out.

And TONS of bars, restaurants, shops, everything is super nice after the winter Olympics a few years ago, including the nice roads on the drive up. And the drive up is gorgeous. Then you have 2 mountains to pick from - Whistler and Blackcomb. Amazing. Obviously I cannot say enough about Whistler. Been 5 or 6 times, and for how amazing it is, you can do it quite cheaply compared to other major mountains, because of the many options for flights, lodging/tix, etc. Total party town too if you really want to go ski and have awesome apres-ski. The main bar, Longhorn Saloon (google it), is 10 yards from the bottom gondola from both mountains, and is the #1 bar in revenue and patrons in all of Canada. For a reason. Just a fun time.

Vail is also top notch, very very similar to Whistler, almost looks identical to some degree. Nice big mountain, great runs, great snow. Lot of great bars and restaurants as well. Similar drive, few hours outside DEN airport. Little more pricey than Whistler because you cannot get the lodging/lift tix package deals, so you're paying $140+ per day to ski. We did Airbnb for a nice pad, but was expensive. Would go again.

Did Telluride this year, amazing. Mountain not as big, snow very good, views insane postcard material, fun runs. Town is rad. Total throwback, beautiful. Also quite expensive, lodging is limited and pricey, lift tix are pricey. But overall, really really cool town and mountain, would recommend looking into. And perhaps the best pizza I've ever had, Brown Dog pizza. Perhaps almost worth going alone....

I've done Steamboat, Canyons UT, Park City UT, not high on my list, but I'm a snowboarder and I prefer more of a fun town ( no offense to UT and your near-beer...).

Mammoth in mid-CA is also awesome, but unless you live close enough to drive, it's not ideal for out of staters. I would put Mammoth perhaps 2nd/3rd behind Whistler and next to Vail/Telluride.

Jackson Hole next on my list, and Big Sky, so cannot comment on those, but heard tons of positives. Jackson probably in top 3 for most, but getting there and cost are a bit higher.
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:26 pm

Glad someone posted this. Group of ten early to mid 30 something's. Ranging from beginner to pretty good skiers. Needs to have bars and restaurants and child care. Debating between Park City and Breck for annual ski trip probably in February maybe January. Any strong opinions one way or another? Can't be too far from the airport which is why there are the finalists.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

eggraid101

Post by eggraid101 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:38 pm

If you liked Park City, I'm surprised no one has suggested Aspen. It is pricy, but like Park City, you can fly into Aspen Airport and not have to drive, just take a shuttle to town. There are 4 ski areas included in an Aspen lift ticket - Buttermilk is great for beginners/intermediates and has a huge half-pipe. Snowmass is massive, and is great for all abilities, especially intermediates, Aspen and Aspen Highlands are great for advanced skiers. They have a great ski school, the bus system in town and in the whole Valley is superb, super easy to get around. None of the ski areas are crowded, and there is great dining in Aspen. I highly recommend it.

This forum may be very helpful to you:

http://www.epicski.com/f/

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:45 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:Glad someone posted this. Group of ten early to mid 30 something's. Ranging from beginner to pretty good skiers. Needs to have bars and restaurants and child care. Debating between Park City and Breck for annual ski trip probably in February maybe January. Any strong opinions one way or another? Can't be too far from the airport which is why there are the finalists.

Park City fits the bill, but man I just did not enjoy the bar/restaurant scene (albeit was like 7 yrs ago), liquor on a pour spout, near-beer like 1 or 2% (don't know if that changed), and if any single dudes, there are zero women. Literally zero. Otherwise the skiing is great, excellent snow. Can rent huge multi-BR houses on airbnb or vrbo for cheap. Nice free bus around town to get everywhere.

Breck would be great but ~2 hour drive to my knowledge unless there is a hopper flight. Might as well add Vail and Whistler to your list, and if so, I'd go Whistler. But any of those 3 would be awesome and within 2 hours of respective airports.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:49 pm

For advanced skiers, Silverton Mountain is hands-down the best I've been to. Limited numbers of tickets sold per day (lots of powder), fantastic steeps. It's essentially backcountry skiing with a lift and avalanche control (though you still ski with a beacon, probe, and shovel). Perfect for those who can't stand the zoos that major resorts become, but no longer live near the mountains and don't have friends available to ski back country with. Note that almost every route down would be rated as a double-black at most ski areas, so I mean it when I say it's only for advanced skiers.

For intermediates, I would look on going somewhere big that allows some exploring. Whistler is the biggest of the big, but Tahoe and Vail also fit the description. Lots of cruiser runs to explore. If you don't need to book way in advance, try to follow good conditions.

For beginners, don't focus too much on the skiing itself. Go somewhere with a view and nice bars. The skiing itself will likely be secondary, and beginner slopes area all pretty similar. I would avoid megaresorts and crowds- trying to learn to ski with crowds of people is both dangerous and not fun.
Last edited by alfaspider on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:53 pm

I'd go with one of the Utah or Colorado resorts for skiing...possibly Tahoe if you also like gambling. The skiing in France is meh compared to the US Rockies, but the wine and food blow the US out of the water. :beer In the three or four different times I've been to Whistler (ranging between a week there and two days) the conditions have been consistently crummy. I'm sure when Whistler is good it's amazing, but if you're booking months in advance I would go with the consistency of the Utah and Colorado resorts.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:21 pm

Well, there is lots more skiing at Park City if you just skied Deer Valley. It is hard to beat PC for price/convenience of air travel, especially if you live in a place with good Delta service. Vail is now running the show and the snow is usually excellent.

I am not a fan of Cottonwood Canyon experience but the snow there is incredible. Day skiing is less interesting for a vacation experience to me. Same comment applies to Copper Mtn.

Many of the place mentioned below fail to meet all of the criteria in your list but I think Snowmass (Aspen) is somewhat close. It is blue run heaven, free bus to Aspen for night life and world class dining/shopping plus good choices in the village, almost every unit is ski in/out, and airport shuttles from Aspen (15 min) and Eagle (hour 15 min).

Tahoe snow is too unpredictable to lock in early IMO. Usually safe around Presidents Day. Never really liked the snow the few times that I have been there.

Mountain Village (Telluride) is close to Deer Valley experience except getting there is a lot harder and the skiing is on the whole more challenging.

Steamboat is a haul from Denver if weather is bad but a great ski town with good skiing. Last two years they had an excellent early season snow and amazing discounts.

chrisam314 wrote:Some things we really liked: the snow(compared to growing up skiing in the poconos), flying to Salt Lake and taking a shuttle was a breeze. The food was great as were the people. We stayed right across from the lodge. And the food/nightlife in Park City is great. We did an early season deal so it wasn't too pricey

I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:46 pm

gunn_show wrote:
JonnyDVM wrote:Glad someone posted this. Group of ten early to mid 30 something's. Ranging from beginner to pretty good skiers. Needs to have bars and restaurants and child care. Debating between Park City and Breck for annual ski trip probably in February maybe January. Any strong opinions one way or another? Can't be too far from the airport which is why there are the finalists.

Park City fits the bill, but man I just did not enjoy the bar/restaurant scene (albeit was like 7 yrs ago), liquor on a pour spout, near-beer like 1 or 2% (don't know if that changed), and if any single dudes, there are zero women. Literally zero. Otherwise the skiing is great, excellent snow. Can rent huge multi-BR houses on airbnb or vrbo for cheap. Nice free bus around town to get everywhere.

Breck would be great but ~2 hour drive to my knowledge unless there is a hopper flight. Might as well add Vail and Whistler to your list, and if so, I'd go Whistler. But any of those 3 would be awesome and within 2 hours of respective airports.

The restaurant/bar scene is key for this group. Whistler was actually brought up, but that's a loooong flight from ATL. I'll be traveling with an 18 month old so that's a loooong day of travel. Also I read that weather at Whistler can be unpredictable at all times of year.

I think vail is a little too high society for us.

209south

Post by 209south » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Beaver Creek is probably the best analog for Deer Valley - posh, great snow, lifts and services - and a fairly easy drive from DIA or even closer if you can fly into Vail/Eagle. Not sure where you're flying from, but many of the other great mountains are a long drive from major airports.

spectec

Post by spectec » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:04 pm

Several years back we took some friends to Utah on a ski trip. We stayed in and skied Park City, but also skied Snowbird and.. (maybe Alta - can't remember now). Then on the next-to-last day someone suggested Snow Basin near Ogden. Each place had its unique appeal, but we all agreed that Snow Basin was the best overall experience for us. If I did the trip again, I'd do Snow Basin twice and drop one of the others, unless someone convinced me it has changed drastically since then.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

IFRider

Post by IFRider » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:14 pm

I've been to most of the I70 resorts and Vail is my favorite, especially if you're
into apres ski. Definitely not high society, maybe you are thinking of Aspen.

If you go, make sure you hit Blue Sky Bowl.

athan

Post by athan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:44 pm

spectec wrote:Several years back we took some friends to Utah on a ski trip. We stayed in and skied Park City, but also skied Snowbird and.. (maybe Alta - can't remember now). Then on the next-to-last day someone suggested Snow Basin near Ogden. Each place had its unique appeal, but we all agreed that Snow Basin was the best overall experience for us. If I did the trip again, I'd do Snow Basin twice and drop one of the others, unless someone convinced me it has changed drastically since then.

I love Utah ski resorts and agree that Snow Basin is amazing. Not crowded and the mountain has newer lifts all over the resort. Also has never been crowded when I've been there, making it seem like you are the only one on the mountain at times. It is a bit of a hike from Salt Lake, but well worth it.

One of the best trips I've taken was to Alyeska, not far from Anchorage. We went during the Iditarod dog race. I think Alyeska was about an hour from Anchorage, where we stayed. The mountain has a large tram and a few other lifts, and no frills. Just amazing, cheap skiing and a ton of snow. I think they averaged 17 inches of new snow each day I was there. There are also many companies near by that offer Heli-skiing, but it wasn't necessary with the quality of snow at Alyeska.

Van

Post by Van » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Aspen. Best blend of superb skiing, atmosphere and restaurants.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:56 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:

Is it really any worse than Deer Valley with a realtor's office at the base of every run?

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:21 pm

Where is the OP? honestly, this is a loaded question,like what is the best beer.

Bridget Bowl? Hardly a resort, great skiing,but not a resort.

Poconos? Comparing skiing in the west to the poconos is criminal.

Keystone? Really? It's like Vermont skiing in CO

What are you looking for? Deep snow? Challenging terrain? Family friendly? Night life?

For snow quality and easy access CO and UT are the best bets. UT has better snow, CO has better resort towns...

Looking for value with a young family I could make a case that Switzerland is a great deal right now. Trip is already booked for Zermatt in 2017.
- Bill

daveatca

My favorites in Colorado

Post by daveatca » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:56 pm

Copper.
Well laid out. Difficult in East and easy in West.
You can move west with the sun.
Downside - paucity of restaurants.
Skied here for a month each year for 20 years.

Breck.
Lots of possibilities.
Lots of dining options.

Steamboat.
Plenty of trails, slopes.
Restaurants available in town.
In the right year, has tons of snow.

Not a fan of Keystone. Some narrow. crowded spots.
Not a fan of Beaver Creek. "You are not worthy."
Vail is just too large. Too much time wasted moving from lift to lift.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:22 am

nova1968 wrote:Mt Bachelor in Bend, Oregon is good, several chairlifts and not too crowded.

Sorry Nova, but I don't think Bachelor is quite up there (and it would be a pain for the OP from ATL)
{and I see the mountain most everyday now that I'm retired out here}. A couple of years ago, I was at Hood over at govt camp and met some pro snowboarders-- we had some AK and Whistler/Blackcomb shirts on and that got their attention. Turns out that Hood has the longest / latest season in US; they were off to Japan (Fuji not Sapporo) then to New Zealand-- their sponsors wanted them there. So apparently Whistler/Blackcomb gives you cred but Bachelor not really.
Have relatives in Mile High with second home in Dillon and they go to A-basin or Copper Mt. ( or Vail if they can stand the lines).

nyknicks4412

Post by nyknicks4412 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:16 am

Definitely need to know the budget and preferred style of skiing. Deer Valley is known for grooming. If that is the style of skiing you're looking for going to a place like Snowbird/Alta might not be the best fit.

If you like the skiing/nightlife combo and price really isn't a concern it is hard to beat Aspen. Can ski 4 mountains that vary significantly so there is something for everyone. Flying into Aspen is a breeze and typically costs about the same as flying into Denver and renting a car. The downtown area is a ton of fun and there are some great hotels to stay in. If you're a strong skier and looking for a little adventure hike the Highlands Bowl. I have skied a lot of places...in my experience hiking the bowl tops them all.

tnbison

Post by tnbison » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:46 am

Big Sky is great, huge resort with short lift lines. And you can go to moonlight basin nearby which has a lot more groomed runs.

Whitefish, MT also a great off the beaten path mountain.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:52 am

Most anywhere in the Rockies when it's snowing

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:41 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:
gunn_show wrote:

The restaurant/bar scene is key for this group. Whistler was actually brought up, but that's a loooong flight from ATL. I'll be traveling with an 18 month old so that's a loooong day of travel. Also I read that weather at Whistler can be unpredictable at all times of year.

Well, I mean, you are dealing with two difficult variables no matter what, unfortunately. ATL is a bad spot to originate from indeed, not ideal, but cannot change that. Bringing an 18mos old wouldn't be in my itinerary, that's what grandma is for, but that's your decision. Rough google search says ATL to Denver is 3+ hours and a 2 hour drive to Vail or nearly any resort. Whistler is 5-8 hours and 2 hour drive. So in the full scope of things, it is not adding much when you look at a 5-7 day trip, couple hours on each end depending how you book it. You'd have to do your homework.

I'd go for the best resort period, which for what you want, in my book, is Whistler, for the amazing skiing, #1 in class food/bars, and plentiful condos/airbnb options. I went in Feb this year and it snowed 99% of the time we were there, powder out our ears (also it was famed "college weekend" where the UW/Oregon kids all drive up, basically Havasu spring break in the snow, insane). Last year we went and it wasn't as good, but that can be ANYWHERE - snow is unpredictable especially 8 months out, you cannot get around that. Take your chances, but that is also why I prefer to return to Whistler often - even if the snow fall isn't great, the mountains are still insane at the top bowls, and the apres ski is the best no matter what, so it's the whole experience. Plus the drive up and scenery are unrivaled IMHO.

Second I would say Vail, it is not that high society, I went there on my 4-man dude trip and felt it was very similar to Whistler for the apres ski, just a bit smaller and less options, and a little pricier overall due to lodging and flights, but definitely not Apsen or anything gnar.

Telluride is also great, really cool towns, bars, shops, scene, scenery, but way pricier. But everything there is a postcard down to the main drag with wood buildings and gondola. Ski in/out at the Peaks resort was worth every penny, especially their massive pools/jacuzzi area downstairs.

Lot of options to consider... you will win with any of them, lot of personal preference involved, as with anything

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:42 pm

I had the privilege of skiing Aspen and Snowmass. Amazing!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:54 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Well, I mean, you are dealing with two difficult variables no matter what, unfortunately. ATL is a bad spot to originate from indeed, not ideal, but cannot change that. Bringing an 18mos old wouldn't be in my itinerary, that's what grandma is for, but that's your decision. Rough google search says ATL to Denver is 3+ hours and a 2 hour drive to Vail or nearly any resort. Whistler is 5-8 hours and 2 hour drive. So in the full scope of things, it is not adding much when you look at a 5-7 day trip, couple hours on each end depending how you book it. You'd have to do your homework.

I'd go for the best resort period, which for what you want, in my book, is Whistler, for the amazing skiing, #1 in class food/bars, and plentiful condos/airbnb options. I went in Feb this year and it snowed 99% of the time we were there, powder out our ears (also it was famed "college weekend" where the UW/Oregon kids all drive up, basically Havasu spring break in the snow, insane). Last year we went and it wasn't as good, but that can be ANYWHERE - snow is unpredictable especially 8 months out, you cannot get around that. Take your chances, but that is also why I prefer to return to Whistler often - even if the snow fall isn't great, the mountains are still insane at the top bowls, and the apres ski is the best no matter what, so it's the whole experience. Plus the drive up and scenery are unrivaled IMHO.

Second I would say Vail, it is not that high society, I went there on my 4-man dude trip and felt it was very similar to Whistler for the apres ski, just a bit smaller and less options, and a little pricier overall due to lodging and flights, but definitely not Apsen or anything gnar.

Telluride is also great, really cool towns, bars, shops, scene, scenery, but way pricier. But everything there is a postcard down to the main drag with wood buildings and gondola. Ski in/out at the Peaks resort was worth every penny, especially their massive pools/jacuzzi area downstairs.

Lot of options to consider... you will win with any of them, lot of personal preference involved, as with anything

Thanks for the detailed response. Part of our group is pushing for Whistler, part for Breck or SLC. The abundance of flights to DEN vs Vancouver or SLC make me push that direction. I expect we'll end up rotating sites annually. I'm personally leaning away from Whistler as just two extra hours on a plane with a little kid can seem like a lifetime. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of easily accessible, willing to watch a baby for a week grandparents. I'm sure this motley crew will have an enjoyable time wherever we go as long as there's beer there.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:58 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
JonnyDVM wrote:

Is it really any worse than Deer Valley with a realtor's office at the base of every run?

The appeal of Deer Valley to me is the lack of snowboarders, Sorry if I'm offending anyone but well.... you're all absolutely terrible. :D

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:42 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:Thanks for the detailed response. Part of our group is pushing for Whistler, part for Breck or SLC. The abundance of flights to DEN vs Vancouver or SLC make me push that direction. I expect we'll end up rotating sites annually. I'm personally leaning away from Whistler as just two extra hours on a plane with a little kid can seem like a lifetime. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of easily accessible, willing to watch a baby for a week grandparents. I'm sure this motley crew will have an enjoyable time wherever we go as long as there's beer there.

Fair enough, then I would agree and say cut out west coast, save Whistler for a no-kids trip or boys trip, etc. You would enjoy the flights, drive up, and nightlife much greater with just adults. So to that end, skip it.

SLC and Denver would be easier flights and drives relative to Whistler. I'd narrow on Breck, Vail, Telluride, SLC, tons of options within those towns. SLC probably the easiest of the bunch, and cheapest (renting huge airbnb and splitting 10 ways). Especially as a skier (skiers suck, so stay away from Whistler...)

:sharebeer

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Anyone ski Siberia? A lady in my office was born and raised there. The stories are amazing.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

artiegene

Post by artiegene » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:30 pm

Not sure what your budget is like but from an Army brat my vote is Berchtesgaden, Germany. Pretty sweet and lots of tourist stuff as well.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:44 pm

Nonstop flight to SLC. Airport rarely has winter weather issues. 35 minute drive to Park City. No altitude issues, easy for everyone and consistently good snow.
- Bill