Alternatives to Traditional Pasta?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

Alternatives to Traditional Pasta?

Post by Barefootgirl » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:40 am

My daughter has asked me to make a pasta salad for our upcoming July 4th party. A couple people who will be there don't eat gluten (please no comment, I realize this can be controversial...) and others in general, stay away from wheat, although I'd think that any kind of pasta is considered processed food...(oh my Italian grandfather is rolling in his grave!)

Last night, I discovered several newer alternatives at the grocery...pastas made of quinoa, corn and even beans - black bean pasta, and lentil pasta (pink!)

Have any of you tried these non-wheat pastas? what do you think? do you like them?

PS - my traditional tortellini salad is very good for those interested: chopped vegetables: tomatoes, green peppers, onions, carrots, cold chilled cooked tortellini, olive oil & vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, oregano, small bits of cheese - mix very well in large bowl, top with fresh basil leaves and more chopped tomato, sprinkle of grated parmesan. Pairs well with Pinot Noir or chilled Rose and grilled chicken.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

daveatca

Banza

Post by daveatca » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:48 am

ObliviousInvestor

Re: Alternatives to Traditional Pasta?

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:56 am

Celiac runs in my family, so many of us can't have gluten.

As you would imagine, preferences vary by person. I like brown rice pasta -- Tinkyada is a commonly available brand. Some of the others in my family prefer quinoa pasta, but I am not a fan. (Probably has something to do with the fact that I don't like quinoa in the first place.)

I don't recall trying black bean pasta before. I've tried one lentil pasta and liked it.
Mike Piper, author/blogger

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:06 am

Brown rice pasta has been the best (texture and flavor) substitute I have tried. You really have to be careful not to overcook it, though. I'd go with 1 minute less than what the directions tell you.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:32 am

We love Tolerant Food's pastas. They're made of lentils so very high in protein and fiber.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

TheStig

Post by TheStig » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:24 am

We've been very satisfied with Barilla's gluten-free pasta. We also like the Bionaturae brand, but it can be twice as expensive.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:43 am

Probably wouldn't be good for the volume of a party, but two very good vegan options are zucchini pasta and carrot pasta made with a spiralizer.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:10 am

Make some of each. Duplicate all of the other ingredients for simplicity. The gluten free eaters will likely be able to identify the different pastas. The other guests shouldn't care if they accidentally consume gluten free foods.

dependapotamus

Post by dependapotamus » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:17 am

Spaghetti squash is gluten free and can be tasty.

scone

Post by scone » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Basmati brown rice works well in "pasta" salad recipes, and it doesn't fall apart like rice pastas can. Wild rice, IIRC, is gluten free, and that works well with rice.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:28 am

Try a test run first. Many gluten free pastas which are perfectly good hot, do not hold up well to chilling.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:49 am

Probably wouldn't be good for the volume of a party, but two very good vegan options are zucchini pasta and carrot pasta made with a spiralizer.

If you don't want to spend $35 for a spiralizer, you can spend $14 for a Vegetti in Wal-marts's "As Seen on TV" section. It works great on zucchini. Drop it in water as soon as you finish spiralizing or it will be hard to clean. And don't spiralize your fingers! It's sharp!

Another option is 100% buckwheat soba noodles. Beware of cheap soba which is wheat mixed with buckwheat. You can find many recipes for cold soba noodles.

Thanks for the tortellini recipe! I will try that one for sure!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

miles monroe

Re: Banza

Post by miles monroe » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:59 am

daveatca wrote:OK
http://www.eatbanza.com

thanks for posting this.

i learned about banza several years ago on "restaurant startup" (i think) and liked the idea of pasta made from chickpeas rather than flour. at the time, they had very limited retail locations and my only practical option would have been to buy a 12 box case from the company. i didn't want to try it that bad.

anyway, went to the link above and they are now in target stores. so i finally get to try chickpea pasta.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:16 am

+1 banza or go to Trader Joe's.. they have 2 or 3 quinoa/rice based pastas that are pretty darned good... and I am a pasta guy...
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

gretah

Post by gretah » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:38 am

I like to use quinoa like couscous. Tabuleh makes a great summer salad.

Having food allergies, I alway list the ingredients on little cards in front of each dish on a buffet. The ingredients most likely to cause trouble (gluten, shellfish, peanuts, etc) are in larger letters at the top of the card. The main ingredient is first (chicken, quinoa, salmon, etc).

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:40 am

In my opinion, you would be better off just making dishes that are clearly and normally gluten free to compliment the non gluten free dishes.

The people who avoid gluten will eat those. Potato salad, or coleslaw. Or maybe there is a cold rice dish.

Likewise, if you knew there were going to be vegans at this event, would you use 'meat substitute', or offer an alternative in addition to real meat?

joebh

Post by joebh » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:43 am

Barefootgirl wrote:my traditional tortellini salad is very good for those interested: chopped vegetables: tomatoes, green peppers, onions, carrots, cold chilled cooked tortellini, olive oil & vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, oregano, small bits of cheese - mix very well in large bowl, top with fresh basil leaves and more chopped tomato, sprinkle of grated parmesan. Pairs well with Pinot Noir or chilled Rose and grilled chicken.

subtract the "cold chilled cooked tortellini" and I think you'd still have a winner. Perhaps substitute chunks of zucchini or summer squash for the pasta.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:52 am

Pasta is disgusting and its terrible for you. You may as well just eat spoon fulls of sugar because thats what your body converts it to.

I guess you could try quinoa. How about just not eating pasta. If you eliminate breads/pasta/rice you will feel better. You will absolutely feel more awake and you will not have the 2 o'clock crash that most experience.

Protein/veggies/fruit. Ditch the other garbage.

LibertyLover

Post by LibertyLover » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:55 am

dependapotamus wrote:Spaghetti squash is gluten free and can be tasty.

Spaghetti Squash will probably be tastier then any other alternative pasta or spiralized veggie.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:44 pm

LibertyLover wrote:

Spaghetti Squash will probably be tastier then any other alternative pasta or spiralized veggie.

I like Spaghetti Squash, but I don't think it would hold up well in a pasta salad.

From experience I no longer try to substitute major ingredients unless I have time for a lot of trial and error. Just find a recipe from a reputable source that does not contain the offending item. That way somebody else has made the error.

Although in this case the OP has been asked to provide a pasta salad. It's worth considering if the organizer is likely to have asked different people for a variety of foods, some of which will be suitable for any vegans, gluten avoiders, nut avoiders, etc who can be expected to attend. In that case I'd do the Pasta as requested.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:55 pm

ponyboy wrote:Pasta is disgusting and its terrible for you. You may as well just eat spoon fulls of sugar because thats what your body converts it to.

I guess you could try quinoa. How about just not eating pasta. If you eliminate breads/pasta/rice you will feel better. You will absolutely feel more awake and you will not have the 2 o'clock crash that most experience.

Second longest life expectancy in the word in Italy! Gluten is a staple of the human diet, and only a (very) few diseased people have trouble with it. Sad that modern Americans are so terrified of everything (and yet get fatter and fatter).

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:02 pm

ponyboy wrote:Pasta is disgusting and its terrible for you. You may as well just eat spoon fulls of sugar because thats what your body converts it to.

Too much protein/veggies/fruit is bad for you too but absolute opinions presented as fact are the real danger.

As for the OP, I would make potato salad or a pea salad. Or make a regular pasta salad and let the glutenphobes eat something else

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:18 pm

FireProof wrote:

Second longest life expectancy in the word in Italy! Gluten is a staple of the human diet, and only a (very) few diseased people have trouble with it. Sad that modern Americans are so terrified of everything (and yet get fatter and fatter).

Not worth an argument, but that hardly dispels the fact that pasta is almost completely nutritionally void. The issue isn't gluten, unless you are celiac - it's that most food products containing gluten are highly processed junk.

I totally agree with another poster, simply take the pasta out and that side dish still sounds delicious.

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:09 pm

My wife uses spinach as a substitute, and it works well. Spinach as the base with veggies and sauce on top. Tastes delicious. I am not sure how that would translate to a salad, however.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:14 pm

BFG -
I will try that tortellini salad, it sounds great. No dressing, just a little EVOO?

Signed,
Not Scared of Real Pasta
10% cash 45% stock 45% bond. Retired, w/d rate 1.5%

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:16 pm

stoptothink wrote:Not worth an argument, but that hardly dispels the fact that pasta is almost completely nutritionally void.

Calories are an essential part of nutrition, probably the most essential part.

I am willing to bet I can live longer without any other nutrient you pick* than you can go without calories.

* Except water, if you consider that a nutrient.

Lucky Lemon

Post by Lucky Lemon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:37 pm

barnaclebob wrote:

...but absolute opinions presented as fact are the real danger.

+1
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:46 pm

http://bombolinipasta.com/menu

Hi,

I had one of the best pasta/noddle in my life at the above place. They make their own pasta. They are in Richmond, VA. They probably ship their pasta too.

KlangFool

thatwhichisgood

Post by thatwhichisgood » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:58 pm

I love love love Tinkyada brand especially the lasagna noodles. De Boles too....

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:01 pm

LibertyLover wrote:

Need a tasty home made tomato sauce to liven up spaghetti squash.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

joebh

Post by joebh » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:02 pm

ponyboy wrote:Pasta is disgusting

Yer doin' it wrong. Perhaps you get yours from a can or something.

Pasta is delicious. And in moderation it's just fine.

Spaghetti squash (any squash actually) is a reasonable substitute, but it's really not the same.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:55 pm

FireProof wrote:

+1

Gluten's gotten a bad rap( thank our fad loving culture for that ), take it out of your diet( assuming your not intolerant ) and it's bad news. I say eat a balanced diet, exercise regularly and quit worrying about the minutia. People can worry themselves into an early grave as easily as they can eat their way there.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:55 pm

Christine, I make a traditional oil & vinegar/herb dressing and use that to dress the salad.

So we find ourselves as a species almost back where we started: anxious omnivores struggling once again to figure out what is wise to eat. Instead of relying on the accumulated wisdom of a cuisine, or even on the wisdom of our senses, we rely on expert opinion, advertising, government food pyramids, and diet books, and we place our faith in science to sort out for us what culture once did with rather more success.
M. Pollan
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

TTBG

Post by TTBG » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:15 pm

I was not a fan of rice pastas (too mushy) or quinoa (too much like cardboard), until a friend had me try a pasta salad that she made with Trader Joe's Brown Rice & Quinoa Fusilli pasta. I liked the texture of the fusilli shape, and the combination of rice and quinoa flavors was surprisingly (to me at least) good. I think she undercooked it a bit which probably helped the texture.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:02 am

What about gnocchi? It is made with potatoes. I know the Alessi brand is gluten free but not sure about the others. Some might use a dusting of flour to control the stickiness and better binding.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:13 pm

Some times not faking it is just better. e.g. I personally prefer all vegetable Chinese dishes to those which have various forms of meat substitutes. I like the veggies for what they are, and the meat substitutes always make me think I'd rather be having chicken or shrimp. Each to their own though...

jrtexas

Post by jrtexas » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Trader Joes has Brown Rice,Gluten free pasta. Can't tell the difference.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:09 am

stoptothink wrote:
FireProof wrote:

Not worth an argument, but that hardly dispels the fact that pasta is almost completely nutritionally void. The issue isn't gluten, unless you are celiac - it's that most food products containing gluten are highly processed junk.

I totally agree with another poster, simply take the pasta out and that side dish still sounds delicious.

"The results were pretty unequivocal. In both the groups, pasta consumption was linked in both women and men of different ages with a lower BMI, smaller waist circumference, and lower waist-to-hip ratio. So long as they weren’t exceeding the recommended nutritional intake based on their overall caloric needs, the more pasta people consumed, the less obese they were."

"The “trend of demonizing carbohydrates as opposite to proteins,” she says, is not based on substantial scientific evidence, while low-carb diets may lead people to substitute cereals with meat or animal products, for which “there is ample evidence of negative effects on health.”

http://qz.com/723645/upending-years-of- ... p-us-lean/

Obviously, various studies may say different things, but regardless if they may, post facto, be able to dig up some study, the anti-pasta zeal is purely a matter of faith, people needing certainty and structure in a chaotic world.

The whole idea of "processed food" is also nonsense Everything besides raw fruits and vegetables is processed in some way (although pasta minimally), but that's not a meaningful adjective. Pasta has no added sugar, fat, whatever, so the fact that more than one ingredient is mixed is not a cause for complaint. .

The goal is just to eat the right amount of nutrients, not as many as possible, and pasta provides a healthy base - plus, It's impossible and undesirable to eat purely vegetables.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:40 am

I realize the 4th of July has passed, however one alternative not mentioned before is Edamame pasta - made of soy beans.
This is rich in protein and fiber. I discovered this at Costco. You can find it on Amazon as well for much more money :

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Edamame- ... +spaghetti

The downside is that it doesn't taste that great - it's really fairly bland. You definitely need to season it with your favorite pasta sauce. Don't eat it by itself.

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:03 am

If I were making OP's salad, I would drop the tortellini and add grilled chicken (cut into bite-size pieces) and black beans instead.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:37 am

TheStig wrote:We've been very satisfied with Barilla's gluten-free pasta. We also like the Bionaturae brand, but it can be twice as expensive.

+1 for Barilla gluten free https://www.barilla.com/en-us/product-r ... sort=alpha

They have rotini, elbows, penne and spaghetti. All from a mixture of corn and rice. We've found it across the country. It takes longer to cook than traditional pasta but has an excellent taste and texture. Further on the cooking time for any of the gluten free pasta not just Barilla, it's not al dente at the suggested time, it's inedible. Add 3 minutes and its fine.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:23 am

Ok, wow - thanks for all the tips and tricks...the people want an update! Ok.

I ended up making my famous tortellini salad for the don't-fear-the-gluten crowd and for the others, I made a wonderful 3 bean salad just like grandma used to make: kidney beans, chick peas, chopped tomatoes, sliced black olives, chopped onion, chopped green and red pepper, and wax beans, all dressed with a marinade of red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper, Italian spices and a pinch of sugar. Chilled overnight in the fridge so the flavors melded together nicely.

Oh and a trip to Target yielded a box of Banta for me to try....thanks! looking forward to it.

https://youtu.be/Oht9AEq1798

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:28 am

:happy
Yum

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:31 am

Mingus wrote:In my opinion, you would be better off just making dishes that are clearly and normally gluten free to compliment the non gluten free dishes.

The people who avoid gluten will eat those. Potato salad, or coleslaw. Or maybe there is a cold rice dish.

Likewise, if you knew there were going to be vegans at this event, would you use 'meat substitute', or offer an alternative in addition to real meat?

+1

As a vegetarian, I'm really uncomfortable when people tie themselves up in knots trying to make everything vegetarian. We will not starve to death eating fewer types of dishes for a day.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:39 am

no, you won't starve, but some might...just might...appreciate the acknowledgement and/or effort. Depends on the crowd. I tend to hang with laid back types.

BFG

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:46 am

Sounds interesting. But the two "testimonials" on the companies' site (as per link above) are from a "celebrity restauranteur" (?) and a Today Show talk host. Not extremely convincing authorities. So at $30. for a "variety case" of 4 (fairly small looking) boxes (wow!!) - vs a buck or so for a large box of generic pasta- as a guy with no gluten intolerance I have to ask.....

$30 for 4 small boxes of pasta? Does it really taste THAT good?

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:29 pm

I have no idea yet...I was able to pick up a single box for something over a couple bucks. I think there are positive reviews on Amazon - FWIW.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:54 pm

For your salad, you could substitute potato gnocchi, new potatoes, a vegetable such as cubed zucchini, chickpeas, or other legumes such as large white beans. I think any of those would be better than most of the wheat pasta substitutes that are available. Most of them don't have a good texture.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:21 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:I have no idea yet...I was able to pick up a single box for something over a couple bucks. I think there are positive reviews on Amazon - FWIW.

If you haven't swung by Trader Joe's, I'd also check out their selection of gluten-free pasta. It's only a couple of bucks for a bag and they've got all sorts of options (brown rice, brown rice+quinoa, corn, black bean, etc.) to choose from. I'm personally a fan of the brown rice option, but I just picked up a bag of black bean to try out.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:50 pm

What about the people that don't eat tomatoes, green peppers, onions, carrots, olive oil & vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, oregano, small bits of cheese, fresh basil leaves and grated Parmesan? lol