Recommend Ad Blockers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
carolinaman

Recommend Ad Blockers

Post by carolinaman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:32 am

I read an article from Malwarebytes regarding the dangers of online ads which they refer to as malvertising. Even reputable sites have ads that can infect your computer without you doing anything except visiting the site. Malwarebytes recommends the use of an ad blocker to protect against this danger.

I am interested in your thoughts about this approach and would like recommendations for an ad blocker. Thanks.

Horsefly

Re: Recommend Ad Blockers

Post by Horsefly » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:37 am

I use AdBlock (https://getadblock.com/). I only use Google Chrome for a browser, and although it installs easily as an extension on Chrome, I'm not sure how it works with other browsers. It doesn't surprise me if there is some malware in ads now.

One thing though: Many news sites (Forbes for instance) detect the ad blocker and will not let you view pages until you pause the ad blocker or put their site on the ad blockers whitelist.

Steve

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:46 am

I use something called AdBlocker Unlimited with Firefox. Not sure if it is a Firefox tool, works well for my browsing

edit once 10.48: as mentioned above, there are sites that request disabling the ad blocker. sometimes I ignore the request and have had no negative results, other times I needed okay cookies so I could continue on the site
Last edited by S&L1940 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

divideby9

Post by divideby9 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:50 am

uBlock Origin is the best in my opinion. There are plugins for firefox and chrome. If you are looking for your phone, the app is specific to your device type (iPhone or Android).

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:50 am

I used to use AdBlock but have disabled it for all the regular news sites I use. Eventually, if the news sites can't make money they will be gone.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:55 am

I use two extensions on my Chromebook:
- "Adblock for YouTube"
- "UBlock Origin" (easy on CPU & memory)

Both are highly recommended.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:56 am

divideby9 wrote:uBlock Origin is the best in my opinion. There are plugins for firefox and chrome. If you are looking for your phone, the app is specific to your device type (iPhone or Android).
uBlock Origin is what AdBlock used to be, in terms of goals for end users. Notice the following information about AdBlock's current monetization strategy:
How we are financed

We receive some donations from our users, but our main source of revenue comes as part of the Acceptable Ads initiative. Larger entities pay a licensing fee for the whitelisting services requested and provided to them (90% of the licences are granted for free, to smaller entities). It should be noted that the Acceptable Ads criteria must be met independent of the consideration for payments. If the criteria are not met, whitelisting is impossible.

Here are some details regarding the fees:

* Only large entities have to pay. We qualify an entity as large when it gains more than 10 million additional ad impressions per month due to participation in the Acceptable Ads initiative.
* For these entities, our licensing fee normally represents 30 percent of the additional revenue created by whitelisting its acceptable ads.
Managing the Acceptable Ads initiative requires significant effort on our side including, but not limited to, ongoing review and monitoring of the individual whitelisted ads, counseling participants and technical support. These services cannot be completely taken over by volunteers nor be sponsored through donations, as may be the case with commonly used filter lists.

Therefore, a few very large entities who take part in the Acceptable Ads initiative compensate Eyeo for its services. Eyeo's services are provided free of charge to all other participants (roughly 90%).
I use uBlock Origin for this reason. All ads are unacceptable to me.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:57 am

Thanks for everyones responses so far. I should have mentioned that my primary browser is IE. Any recommendations for IE? Thanks

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:00 am

I use Adblock for Chrome. I disable it on some sites that I frequent and that don't serve obnoxious ads.

I will *never* turn off my adblocker on Forbes, which means I will never read Forbes articles. When they first started blocking adblockers, if you disabled your adblocker to get through to the site they served you ads with malware.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:01 am

https://adblockplus.org/en/internet-explorer

Adblock plus is available for Explorer and several other browsers, just look under the "install now for ...." button to select a different version.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:04 am

tuningfork wrote:I use Adblock for Chrome. I disable it on some sites that I frequent and that don't serve obnoxious ads.

I will *never* turn off my adblocker on Forbes, which means I will never read Forbes articles. When they first started blocking adblockers, if you disabled your adblocker to get through to the site they served you ads with malware.
I had same issue. Gave up on Forbes - something about that site. Bloomberg is bad but not as bad as Forbes.

I hope there is a special place in hell for sites that have videos that auto-start.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:08 am

Even when I whitelist Forbes on AdBlock it still thinks I have it blacklisted
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:09 am

Ghostery. Supported browsers: Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera.
https://www.ghostery.com/try-us/downloa ... extension/

You can also use the Ghostery Browser on Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tery&hl=en
and iOS https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ghoster ... 89016?mt=8

You can whitelist sites such as Forbes and Bloomberg. You can enable/disable trackers individually. E.g disable all except Twitter.

Give it a try. It is free. After installing, go the Ghostery settings and ensure all new/future trackers are set to blocked.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:29 am

runner9 wrote:https://adblockplus.org/en/internet-explorer

Adblock plus is available for Explorer and several other browsers, just look under the "install now for ...." button to select a different version.
+1

Using it for over two years and i really like it. No Ads period!

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:40 am

I use adblock plus for google chrome AND Disconnect for Google Chrome. Blocks ads and cookies. Just lovely.
BH contest results: 2018: #150 of 493 | 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:53 am

tuningfork wrote:I use Adblock for Chrome. I disable it on some sites that I frequent and that don't serve obnoxious ads.

I am thinking maybe Forbes changed their ways. I use uBlock Origin, just went to Forbes and did not receive the message I used to get. As far as I can tell, I don't have them white listed. I don't know how to tell if they serve you ads with malware. I don't think malware has much effect on Chromebooks.

FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:19 am

I use an ad blocker and even though I have a digital subscription to the NY Times ($15/mo.) the Times sent me a notice saying that I was basically taking money away from them that they needed to operate with my ad blocker. Hey, when I click on a video that is preceded by a 30 second ad for Mercedes Benz I wonder what I am paying for. The ad blocker stays on, thank you.

The hours that I save not not looking at ads on the internet are turned to reading off-beat books such as AT THE EXISTENTIALIST CAFE by Sarah Bakewell or print subscriptions such as THE PROGRESSIVE POPULIST and MOTOR/TRUCK TREND. Bye, Bye media site.

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:23 am

carolinaman wrote:Thanks for everyones responses so far. I should have mentioned that my primary browser is IE. Any recommendations for IE? Thanks
Stop using it and switch to Chrome or Firefox. No really, it's a terrible browser and has all kinds of security issues

I use AdBlock Plus for both Chrome and Firefox, which has worked well for me.

Kuna_Papa_Wengi

Post by Kuna_Papa_Wengi » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:37 am

I'd recommend using Firefox. I don't trust google with my info these days. Here's the add-ons I use for ad blocking and privacy protection.

ublock origin
Ghostery
Self-Destructing cookies
NoScript

I'd also recommend using opendns.com. There's some additional blocking you can do with that service such as malware/phishing.

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:13 pm

jpelder wrote:
carolinaman wrote:Thanks for everyones responses so far. I should have mentioned that my primary browser is IE. Any recommendations for IE? Thanks
Stop using it and switch to Chrome or Firefox. No really, it's a terrible browser and has all kinds of security issues

I use AdBlock Plus for both Chrome and Firefox, which has worked well for me.
I installed Ghostery on both Chrome and IE. Website load times of several ad busy sites are much faster, especially on Chrome. Thanks

Starting From Scratch

Post by Starting From Scratch » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:32 pm

For PCs: uBlock Origin and getting away from IE.

For Macs & iOS: 1Blocker

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:27 pm

Ad blocker
Ad blocker plus

https://adblockplus.org/

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:29 pm

AdBlock

It works. As of now 32,727 blocked ads and counting.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:58 pm

carolinaman wrote:I should have mentioned that my primary browser is IE. Any recommendations for IE? Thanks
Yeah, switch to Firefox and then use Ublock Origin, as others have recommended.

(Note: while I see others recommending Adblock Plus, the developer of that service has disavowed it, because they now white-list some sites based on companies paying a fee to let their ads through. He subsequently wrote and released Ublock Origin, which blocks all ads.)

xenial

Post by xenial » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:27 pm

blueblock wrote:(Note: while I see others recommending Adblock Plus, the developer of that service has disavowed it, because they now white-list some sites based on companies paying a fee to let their ads through. He subsequently wrote and released Ublock Origin, which blocks all ads.)
Adblock Plus is fine. All you have to do is uncheck a box labeled Allow some non-intrusive advertising.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:24 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (ad blocker).

ublock origin for me:

- uBlock Origin :: Add-ons for Firefox
- uBlock Origin - Chrome Web Store
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:46 pm

BusySnevl wrote:I use AdBlock (https://getadblock.com/). I only use Google Chrome for a browser, and although it installs easily as an extension on Chrome, I'm not sure how it works with other browsers. It doesn't surprise me if there is some malware in ads now.

One thing though: Many news sites (Forbes for instance) detect the ad blocker and will not let you view pages until you pause the ad blocker or put their site on the ad blockers whitelist.

Steve
I use AdBlock. It works with all three browsers I use. If a site doesn't let me read without disabling the ad blocker, I don't read that site. If a site asks nicely, I may disable it. I know it interferes with their revenue.

Every so often I read incognito, so I see the normal ads. It's incomprehensible to me how people can tolerate screaming jumping multiple ads per page. I don't mind ads on the google search page, because they are quiet and useful. It other sites were like that, I probably wouldn't use an ad blocker.

I was not aware of the possibility of malware in ads, so that was not part of my motivation.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:50 am

How about Android tablet and Android phone? Thanks.

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:25 pm

NoScript for firefox.
Lets you add only domains that are necessary to make the page function, and nothing else.

jchef

Post by jchef » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:51 pm

htdrag11 wrote:How about Android tablet and Android phone? Thanks.
If you have root access, AdAway works quite well. And it works for all apps, not just the browser.

https://adaway.org/

If you don't have root access, things are a bit more complicated. The easiest is probably installing Firefox for Android and then installing the uBlock Origin add-on for Firefox.

(And if you're not sure if you have root access, you very likely don't)

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:17 pm

jchef wrote:
If you have root access, AdAway works quite well. And it works for all apps, not just the browser.

If you don't have root access, things are a bit more complicated. The easiest is probably installing Firefox for Android and then installing the uBlock Origin add-on for Firefox.

No root access and using Chrome on both. Have not use Firefox since last century. I am tempted on the tablet though.

jchef

Post by jchef » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:41 pm

htdrag11 wrote:
jchef wrote:

No root access and using Chrome on both. Have not use Firefox since last century. I am tempted on the tablet though.
If you want to stay with Chrome, there is a way to get Adblock Plus working without root and it will work for all apps. But it only works over wifi and it's more than a little bit clunky.

https://adblockplus.org/en/android-config

drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:54 pm

Another vote for uBlock Origin. It's the best!

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:17 pm

jchef wrote:
htdrag11 wrote:
jchef wrote:

If you want to stay with Chrome, there is a way to get Adblock Plus working without root and it will work for all apps. But it only works over wifi and it's more than a little bit clunky.

https://adblockplus.org/en/android-config
You are right. I downloaded Firefox on my tablet and added uBlock Origin.

MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:58 am

adblock plus
ghostery
disconnect
flashcontrol or flashblock

all on chrome browser. sometimes i have to turn one or more of them off to make a page work but most pages are fine.

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:01 am

jebmke wrote:
I hope there is a special place in hell for sites that have videos that auto-start.
I use flashcontrol extension to stop the majority of these. I think there are html5 ones as well.

xenial

Post by xenial » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:17 am

OnceARunner wrote:
jebmke wrote: I hope there is a special place in hell for sites that have videos that auto-start.
I use flashcontrol extension to stop the majority of these. I think there are html5 ones as well.
For Firefox you can prevent HTML5 videos from autoplaying by setting media.autoplay.enabled to false in about:config.

lemonPepper

Post by lemonPepper » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:29 am

I didn't know about ublock origin. Just installed it.

I don't like any companies are really pimps e.g. google,facebook. I prefer to use firefox and duck duck go as my search engine

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:02 pm

MDfive21 wrote:adblock plus
ghostery
disconnect
flashcontrol or flashblock

all on chrome browser. sometimes i have to turn one or more of them off to make a page work but most pages are fine.
I have those on my laptop, but did not see extension or add-on on my tablet.

dotstar

Post by dotstar » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:18 pm

drwtsn32 wrote:Another vote for uBlock Origin. It's the best!
+1 - very powerful and low-ish overhead.

Pharmacist

Post by Pharmacist » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:45 pm

I switched from AdBlock to uBlock Origin and it works great

BlueShoe

Post by BlueShoe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:46 pm

ublock origin
Privacy Badger
on Vivaldi, Firefox, and Chrome

rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:42 pm

For those on Android but dont want to root: Netguard.

You need to install v2.43 from Github (not Google Play store version which has no adblocker due to Google Play policy). Turn off auto update or it will update you to version 2.45+ which has ads. Or, pay the developer $1 and use latest versions ad-free.

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:00 am

I use Ad Block Plus and Ghostery on our PC's. Nothing on Android yet. When I work on friends' unblocked pc's, I start to realize just how much garbage they block. I find they are well worth it, both for decreased annoyance and increased security.

Lot's of websites are starting to respond to the use of ad blockers, and request that you shut them off before visiting. Still, it's just a quick click in either program to do so. I love the Wired website - they actually come back and thank you for shutting off your blockers.

FreddieG

Post by FreddieG » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:36 am

I use a VPN most of the time. I don't like Comcast listening in. My VPN, Private Internet Access, blocks ads and malware. It isn't perfect, so I also use UBlock. But in testing, PIA seems to get most.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:29 am

OnceARunner wrote:
jebmke wrote:
No extension needed to turn off auto-start on google chrome. You can do this in settings.

In Chrome
Go to Settings
Go to Advanced Settings
Go to Privacy
Go to Content Settings
Click radio button that says "Let me choose when to run plugin content"

You will now have to manually run Flash.
BH contest results: 2018: #150 of 493 | 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Toons wrote:Ad blocker
Ad blocker plus

https://adblockplus.org/

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks. Installed it on my Chromebook and from then on, no ads on either tablet or phone. It significantly improved my YouTube experience with out paying for YouTube Red.

OAG

Post by OAG » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:27 pm

Ad Block Plus Extension on Windows 10 for EDGE (not sure about IE 11). So far it has blocked 9,127 Ads in the 3 days it has been running on my latest version of Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607 Build 14905).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:09 pm

Definitely uBlock Origin on all browsers not called Edge. Since it's not available on Edge yet, I use AdBlock (not Plus) there. But I'm primarily a FF/Chrome user, so not a big deal.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:26 pm

mouses wrote:
BusySnevl wrote:I use AdBlock (https://getadblock.com/). I only use Google Chrome for a browser, and although it installs easily as an extension on Chrome, I'm not sure how it works with other browsers. It doesn't surprise me if there is some malware in ads now.

Steve
I use AdBlock. It works with all three browsers I use. If a site doesn't let me read without disabling the ad blocker, I don't read that site. If a site asks nicely, I may disable it. I know it interferes with their revenue.

Every so often I read incognito, so I see the normal ads. It's incomprehensible to me how people can tolerate screaming jumping multiple ads per page. I don't mind ads on the google search page, because they are quiet and useful. It other sites were like that, I probably wouldn't use an ad blocker.

I was not aware of the possibility of malware in ads, so that was not part of my motivation.
Exactly, I can't read anything if there's a bunch of things scrolling all around, basically a fireworks display going off next to the article. I rather read the newsprint, and that's why I still subscribe to some newspapers. How can anyone be expected to read under those conditions? It's crazy.

The autostart videos are the worst. CNN does that now. Firefox with flashblocker works well.