Price of 2016 Honda Civic LX automatic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
retire14

Price of 2016 Honda Civic LX automatic

Post by retire14 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:02 am

Anyone here bought a 2016 LX recently? I have done research and got a quote $500 below invoice (Invoice=$18,073, Quote= $17,500). Destination charge $835, taxes and tags are extra.

The dealer is part of Sonic dealers in Northern Virginia. The salesman claimed that their price is legit with no pressure tactic. In fact, I did not get pressured at all during my visit.

Anyone here can confirm that this is a legit deal since it does sound a little too good based on edmunds.com market value and invoice price? TIA.

neilpilot

Re: Price of 2016 Honda Civic LX automatic

Post by neilpilot » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:22 am

Hard to compare cars without a bit more details. I purchased in December, so it was not long after the 2016 hit the market, 2015 models were still in inventory and heavily discounted, and discounts should have been harder to find. This was in the Phoenix market:

Civic 2016 , AT (add-ons were window tine, truck tray, splash guards and wheel locks): $18,588
above INCLUDES destination charge
"documentation fee" (i.e. additional dealer profit) $395
Net, before sales tax & registration: $18,983

Above price was achieved after using email (dealers did not have me name/address/phone #, just email address) to work the 8 Honda dealers in the greater-Phoenix area. I did not talk to the winning bidder, or visit any of the dealers, until the deal was done via email.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:26 am

retire14 wrote:Anyone here bought a 2016 LX recently? I have done research and got a quote $500 below invoice (Invoice=$18,073, Quote= $17,500). Destination charge $835, taxes and tags are extra.

The dealer is part of Sonic dealers in Northern Virginia. The salesman claimed that their price is legit with no pressure tactic. In fact, I did not get pressured at all during my visit.

Anyone here can confirm that this is a legit deal since it does sound a little too good based on edmunds.com market value and invoice price? TIA.

Price from cars.com seems to be lower than what they quoted you so I think there is rom for negotiation:

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?zc=01748&rd=99999&prMx=40000&stkTypId=28880&yrId=58487&mdId=20823&trId=24369&mkId=20017&sf1Nm=price&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=price&sf2Dir=DESC&page=1&perPage=50&searchSource=GN_BREADCRUMB

You will get more correct data if you visited vehicle specific forum for this question, for instance a thread that specifically discusses what people have paid for 2016+ civics:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/what-did-you-pay.617/page-118
Last edited by TheOscarGuy on Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

TT

Post by TT » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:29 am

retire14 wrote:Anyone here bought a 2016 LX recently? I have done research and got a quote $500 below invoice (Invoice=$18,073, Quote= $17,500). Destination charge $835, taxes and tags are extra.

Honda of Tysons Corner
1580 Springhill Road
Vienna, VA 22182
1-888-614-8987

http://www.hondaoftysonscorner.com/
2016 Civic LX
$16,991

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:32 am

In your area, check out ubs4cars.com

Eligibility from most credit unions, employers (such as government agencies and private employers)

You do NOT pay that "processing fee" -

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:49 am

deleted.

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:55 am

TheOscarGuy wrote:

Price from cars.com seems to be higher than what they quoted you so I think it's a good price. You will get more correct data if you visited vehicle specific forum for this question, for instance a thread that specifically discusses what people have paid for 2016+ civics:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/what-did-you-pay.617/page-118

I was about to mention the same forum. The people in MD were reporting the lowest prices anywhere in the country so you definitely have room to go lower. If I were you, I would ask the people on that forum the names of the low-price dealerships in MD and send emails to those dealers for a quote. Here is their spreadsheet of prices paid:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:10 am

Your price isn't really below invoice. All those fluffy charges (dest charge, doc fee) are designed to fool people into believing they're getting a good deal because they are added on later. Look for the lowest price out the door. (or lowest price before Tax if they refuse to quote the entire package)

As others have said this approach works:
- Pick the car you want
- Use dealer websites to locate that model
- Use the websites to email the dealers (ie. click "request quote" next to the car, provide your contact info) Say you're ready to buy and would like their best price.
- Wait for the flood of attractive offers, most will respond rather quickly
- Pit the top offers against each other by calling the dealers back

You will end up with a price that includes the charges/fees and is still below invoice. A Civic is a high volume car and the 2016 isn't new any more.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:35 am

Sounds resonable :happy
Fair Market/Automatic
http://www.kbb.com/honda/civic/2016/lx/ ... ns=#survey
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:45 am

sunny_socal wrote:- Use the websites to email the dealers (ie. click "request quote" next to the car, provide your contact info) Say you're ready to buy and would like their best price.

+1

Do not give them your phone number right away or they will likely just call you to start a sales pitch.

Use a special email account because you will likely get on their mailing list.

Be sure to specify that you want the "out the door" price. You may need to tell them which county you are in so that they can figure out the sales tax and registration fees.

When you email back to accept a deal let them know that if there are any changes when come to pick up the car that you will leave and give them bad online reviews. Go to pick up the car promptly since someone else could still buy it before you do which is reasonable.

Let them know if you are flexible in the color this helps a lot.

Get quotes from any dealership that is within a reasonable driving range. You can get the warranty service later at your preferred dealership and they will be glad to get your business. With something like a Honda or Toyota you may only take it in for warranty service a few times anyway unless you get unlucky.

The last time I did this about a third of the dealerships just emailed back wanting me to come in, a third gave offers that were the same as their ad or website, and a third gave really good offers.

Some dealerships did not respond for a couple of days. It may be that only one person at the dealership handles internet sales and the email came in on that persons day off. Some of these were good offers.

Send your emails early in the week. Dealerships are often busy on weekends with live buyers.

I have bought cars over the internet twice and it went smoothly each time. When I went to the dealership to pick it up it only took an hour or two including taking the car for a test drive.

retire14

Post by retire14 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:36 am

Thank you for all your replies. Very helpful. I really appreciate it.