Verizon raised unlimited data by $20

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
achen9291

Verizon raised unlimited data by $20

Post by achen9291 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:20 am

I'm on a grandfathered dataplan for Verizon, unlimited was $30/month but now they are raising it by $20 which makes it $50 a month I believe. I don't use it much but I feel like they are trying to push me off the unlimited plan. Is it worth it to keep it?

Our monthly bill for 4 lines is now $320+, of which 2 of the lines are on unlimited data.

Maybe it's best to switch to a different carrier now? I've been with Verizon since 1997 almost 20 years. I went over the monthly minutes this month due to my grandfather passing soon which leads to more phone usage and they couldn't give me an extra 100 minutes per line which I originally had, but got taken away since they social engineered my father into changing all the plans, resulting in me losing the unlimited data and then I had to get it resorted to get the original plan back, which ended up with me losing that extra 100 extra minute promo that was given to me (it was supposed to last a lifetime).
Last edited by achen9291 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

hlfo718

Re: Verizon raised unlimited data by $20

Post by hlfo718 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:25 am

If you don't need "Unlimited" then why pay a premium? There are plans for less than $40 that includes 5 GBs a month. My wife has 1 GB and doesn't even use half. I use zero. For me data is a waste of money.

achen9291

Post by achen9291 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:30 am

hlfo718 wrote:If you don't need "Unlimited" then why pay a premium? There are plans for less than $40 that includes 5 GBs a month. My wife has 1 GB and doesn't even use half. I use zero. For me data is a waste of money.
Over the past 18 months I"ve seen the bill raise up slightly to what it is now, from $240 to $320. Overtime it feels like their services are cutting off my plan, as the prices increase..

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:35 am

Have you considered other carriers? T-mobile has a promotion right now for 4 lines for $120. Each line gets 6GB of LTE data each (no sharing). Unused data gets rolled forward. No overage charges. Free low-speed data roaming all over the world.

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/unlimited-data-story.html?

In addition, many music and video streaming services are included for no additional data charges. For example, we listen to pandora and Google Play Music, and watch shows on Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube but NONE of it counts against our data bucket. So why not save $200/month?

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:49 am

hlfo718 wrote:If you don't need "Unlimited" then why pay a premium? There are plans for less than $40 that includes 5 GBs a month. My wife has 1 GB and doesn't even use half. I use zero. For me data is a waste of money.
+1. I resisted for a long time but finally was forced onto the new Verizon plan to get a device upgrade. My wife and I share a 2gb plan and we only ever use a fraction of it since wifi is everywhere. Its overall cheaper than the old unlimited plan was.

achen9291

Post by achen9291 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:16 pm

mervinj7 wrote:Have you considered other carriers? T-mobile has a promotion right now for 4 lines for $120. Each line gets 6GB of LTE data each (no sharing). Unused data gets rolled forward. No overage charges. Free low-speed data roaming all over the world.

In addition, many music and video streaming services are included for no additional data charges. For example, we listen to pandora and Google Play Music, and watch shows on Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube but NONE of it counts against our data bucket. So why not save $200/month?
The plan seems really good, I saw it earlier but we stuck with Verizon because we wanted to have signal and reliability. Does T-mobile still have signal/coverage issues?

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Used to have T-Mobile, no problems with them. Coverage is decent but not as good as Verizon, nor as robust. I believe they are the best value among the mainstream carriers.

Recently switched to Cricket, they piggyback on the AT&T network:
- $70 for two lines, 2.5GB of high speed data per line, unlimited but slower data after that. It's been enough for us.
- For (4) lines it would be $100, for (5) lines it's also $100 since you get one for free!
- Taxes & fees included, that's the total price

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:20 pm

achen9291 wrote: The plan seems really good, I saw it earlier but we stuck with Verizon because we wanted to have signal and reliability. Does T-mobile still have signal/coverage issues?
Sure, T-mobile has issues. So do all carriers. I had t-mobile before Cricket(AT&T), and generally coverage was pretty good. But sometimes I'd be places where there was no signal, and folks with Verizon has plenty. If you have friends with T-mobile, you can check their phones at the places you frequent most. e.g. really good to have signal at your house. Generally networks are getting better all the time, but best to check it out before committing to a new provider. Of course in the new no-contract era if a provider doesn't work out, you can usually switch again with little cost assuming phone is compatible.

achen9291

Post by achen9291 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:30 pm

What made you guys switch from T-mobile to cricket? That plan also sounds enticing. 4 lines for $100? That's pretty good.. judging by how I'm paying over 3x that amount now.

froman118

Post by froman118 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:34 pm

achen9291 wrote:
mervinj7 wrote:The plan seems really good, I saw it earlier but we stuck with Verizon because we wanted to have signal and reliability. Does T-mobile still have signal/coverage issues?
T-Mobile has been aggressively expanding their 700mhz (Band 12) coverage which should help a lot. I've got a Nexus 5X coming today and I'll be interested to see if there's a noticeable difference over my One Plus X without band 12 support.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:39 pm

achen9291 wrote:What made you guys switch from T-mobile to cricket? That plan also sounds enticing. 4 lines for $100? That's pretty good.. judging by how I'm paying over 3x that amount now.
T-mobile I just had phone/texting. Finally joined the modern era and got smart phones. Cricket seemed like the best deal to me at the time. Have 5 lines for $100, 2.5 GB data/line. It just gets very very slow if you exceed that bandwidth (2G speed), but you don't pay overages. I just have 3 in my family, but added my parents as the 2 extra lines were a total of $10 and they were paying something like $140 a month to AT&T.

Cricket customer service is so-so (often case for MVNO), but I've thankfully had no issues that needed any interaction with them. We've been happy with the coverage in general too.

tampaite

Post by tampaite » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:48 pm

achen9291 wrote:
Our monthly bill for 4 lines is now $320+, of which 2 of the lines are on unlimited data.
If you don't need unlimited Data at LTE speed, my suggestion is to switch to Lycamobile $29 plan so you'll pay about $116 + tax for 4 lines...

http://www.lycamobile.us/en/29-internat ... phone-plan

achen9291

Post by achen9291 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:54 pm

mervinj7 wrote:Have you considered other carriers? T-mobile has a promotion right now for 4 lines for $120. Each line gets 6GB of LTE data each (no sharing). Unused data gets rolled forward. No overage charges. Free low-speed data roaming all over the world.

Looking through the link, I couldn't find anything about the minutes. Is it unlimited minutes on T-mobile?

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:18 pm

achen9291 wrote:

Looking through the link, I couldn't find anything about the minutes. Is it unlimited minutes on T-mobile?
Yep, unlimited minutes and text. I've had T-mobile for 12 years. I travel fairly frequently between the SF Bay Area, the east coast, Texas, and Chicago with excellent results. As others have mentioned, they have added a bunch of 700MHz spectrum that has really broadened their coverage in the last two years. Check out the gifs below to see how dramatic it is.

End of 2015 Coverage: http://i.imgur.com/IMf8lLk.gif
June 2016 Coverage: http://imgur.com/arsz86n

Like all carriers your own coverage will vary on a hyper-local scale. Verizon certainly has the reputation for strong coverage but who cares if if works where YOU live, work, and travel and you save upwards of $100-$200/month. On a side note, my family and I (six lines) traveled through Europe last summer and had great coverage in the four countries we visited. The unlimited low-speed data was more than sufficient for using google maps, looking up reviews on tripadvisor, checking email, etc.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage-map.html

If you still have a contract with Verizon, T-mobile will pay off your ETFs. No contracts on T-mobile for service.

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/switch-ca ... n-fee.html
Last edited by mervinj7 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:20 pm

You haven't stated how much data you actually use.

Generator515

Post by Generator515 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:21 pm

Project-Fi

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:26 pm

How much data do you really use? I am only paying about $185/mo for 4 lines through Verizon and that includes $54.00 in equipment installment payments. I have 6GB of shared data which is plenty for how I use it but you can get 18GB of shared data for another $40/mo. That's pretty much data. My plan is unlimited text and talk minutes as well.

I would go to Verizon's web site or call them and see what kind of plan you might be able to switch to. I've got to think you can say money if you want to stick with Verizon.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:28 pm

batpot wrote:You haven't stated how much data you actually use.
This. Do you actually need unlimited? We have a family plan with 4 lines on Verizon, our bill is less than $200, and we're still paying for 2 of the phones. But we don't have (or need) unlimited data. I think we have either 4 or 6 GB right now.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 pm

kenschmidt wrote:How much data do you really use? I am only paying about $185/mo for 4 lines through Verizon and that includes $54.00 in equipment installment payments. I have 6GB of shared data which is plenty for how I use it but you can get 18GB of shared data for another $40/mo. That's pretty much data. My plan is unlimited text and talk minutes as well.

I would go to Verizon's web site or call them and see what kind of plan you might be able to switch to. I've got to think you can say money if you want to stick with Verizon.
Or OP could just pay $120/month for 4 lines and get 6GB of data per line (or 24GB total) on T-mobile. One thing this thread has made me realize is how much more people are willing to pay on their cellphone bills just to have Verizon service.

achen9291

Post by achen9291 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:35 pm

I'm really considering switching to T-mobile. I didn't specify exactly how much data in my first post other than that I don't use much, so less than a Gig.

ILnative

Post by ILnative » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:44 pm

I'll second the Project Fi suggestion. Check it out before you make a decision.

achen9291

Post by achen9291 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:51 pm

ILnative wrote:I'll second the Project Fi suggestion. Check it out before you make a decision.
I"ll look into this, thanks!

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:03 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
kenschmidt wrote:How much data do you really use? I am only paying about $185/mo for 4 lines through Verizon and that includes $54.00 in equipment installment payments. I have 6GB of shared data which is plenty for how I use it but you can get 18GB of shared data for another $40/mo. That's pretty much data. My plan is unlimited text and talk minutes as well.

Or OP could just pay $120/month for 4 lines and get 6GB of data per line (or 24GB total) on T-mobile. One thing this thread has made me realize is how much more people are willing to pay on their cellphone bills just to have Verizon service.
I live in the center of a large city. Every provider's coverage maps say that my house is covered. T-Mobile doesn't work at all. AT&T does, but not well enough that the phone will ring if I get a call. Sprint will ring, but if I want to talk, I have to lean out the window.

Verizon works without issue.

It doesn't matter how cheap it is if it doesn't work.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:05 pm

I live in the country. VZ is the only provider with any data coverage and, even so, you don't have to drive far to get absolutely no coverage from any provider - voice or data.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

southbay

Post by southbay » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:07 pm

i use a lot of data, and i've only exceed my monthly limit once, and that was only because i accidentally had my wifi turned off for a week or two so i was using data at home/work. these carriers are good at scaring people into more data. it is a HUGE money maker for them. analyze your usage and see how much data you really need.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:11 pm

quantAndHold wrote: I live in the center of a large city. Every provider's coverage maps say that my house is covered. T-Mobile doesn't work at all. AT&T does, but not well enough that the phone will ring if I get a call. Sprint will ring, but if I want to talk, I have to lean out the window.

Verizon works without issue.

It doesn't matter how cheap it is if it doesn't work.
Makes sense to me. Every carrier's coverage is hyper-localized. If you live in the country and Verizon is the only provider that works, then go for it. But for the 100s of millions of folks that rarely travel outside of the major metro areas and have access to multiple carrier networks where they live, work, and frequent, then its best to compare your options both from a price and service perspective. YMMV.
Though if you do in live in a large city (e.g. tall buildings), I would recommend using WiFi calling or a cellspot router for better coverage in your home.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:21 pm

It always amazes me when I see people paying $300+/mo for cell service for 4 lines...and that doesn't even include the start up cost of buying a phone, paying activation/upgrade fees, etc. etc.

It's just crazy!!

Phones are so good now you can get a 2 year old model for dirt cheap and not miss a thing.

You can get an iPhone 6 new on eBay for $500. Attach to cricket $35 plan and you're looking at $57/mo amortized for cellphone service. Put your monthly charge on a wells fargo credit card and get yourself free cellphone insurance as well!

And that's before you get yourself some eBay gift cards on sale...

el47

Post by el47 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:49 pm

+1 Cricket. Basic $40 smartphone plan has unlimited voice and the first 2.5 GB data on LTE. After that, data gets throttled without a cap so it could be considered "unlimited". The plan really shines when more lines are added to a group plan. Each additional line knocks off $5 per line making a 5-line group plan cost $100 total including taxes & fees.

For very light users of data & voice, I've heard that Airvoice has good options available.

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:13 pm

I'm grandfathered in too. My plan was bumped up by $20 for each of two lines last November. Remaining on the plan was a tough call. You must evaluate current and prospective data usage. In this regard keep in mind that data usage includes email, web views, background data gathering for your apps (email syncing ), use of navigation apps and audio and video streaming.It adds up quickly. Many use wifi, especially at home, to cut down on 4g/3g/data usage.

The phones are sold at below cost and in some cases given away (note the recent Samsung Galaxy S7 twofer) and many plans offer unlimited calling. The money is in data usage. Do some Netflix binging on your phone.

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:20 pm

achen9291 wrote:I'm on a grandfathered dataplan for Verizon, unlimited was $30/month but now they are raising it by $20 which makes it $50 a month I believe. I don't use it much but I feel like they are trying to push me off the unlimited plan. Is it worth it to keep it?

Maybe it's best to switch to a different carrier now? I've been with Verizon since 1997 almost 20 years. I went over the monthly minutes this month due to my grandfather passing soon which leads to more phone usage and they couldn't give me an extra 100 minutes per line which I originally had, but got taken away since they social engineered my father into changing all the plans, resulting in me losing the unlimited data and then I had to get it resorted to get the original plan back, which ended up with me losing that extra 100 extra minute promo that was given to me (it was supposed to last a lifetime).

Yes, Verizon is trying to push you off the unlimited plan and, yes, they are a heartless corporation who couldn't care less whether you (or I) stay or go. If the unlimited plan is useful to you it may be worth paying the extra $20/month. Phones use ever more data and it could be valuable to you now or in the future to have the unlimited plan.

If the unlimited is valuable to you, but not worth the $20/month, it is possible to sign a new contract and lock in your existing rate for another two years (assuming the $20/month hasn't hit you yet). It's not hard, but requires following a certain sequence of steps to make sure you get a new contract at your old rate. Google "Best Buy Method" along with verizon, unlimited data, etc. and you should be able to easily find a current version of the instructions.

If the unlimited isn't valuable to you, it is valuable to others. If you google "sell verizon unlimited data plan" you'll find places where people are selling their plans for ~$500/line. You transfer the line over to whomever buys it (it's called Assumption of Liability or AOL) and is perfectly legal, easy to do, and okay with verizon as long as the person receiving the line satisfies verizon's criteria.

And if it's not valuable to you, I would definitely shop around. As others have indicated, you should be able to get a similar setup for much less. Even with the current verizon plans you can probably do better.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:52 pm

I've had Verizon for about 6 years. My husband just joined this year, we had to choose one of their new plans. We have 2 lines, unlimited text and calls, and 3 gigs of data for 90 a month. We use Wi-fi when possible, certainly at home, and have never used more than 2 gigs. We live in the rural part of our state and have excellent coverage.

mikep

Post by mikep » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:58 pm

el47 wrote:+1 Cricket. Basic $40 smartphone plan has unlimited voice and the first 2.5 GB data on LTE. After that, data gets throttled without a cap so it could be considered "unlimited". The plan really shines when more lines are added to a group plan. Each additional line knocks off $5 per line making a 5-line group plan cost $100 total including taxes & fees.

For very light users of data & voice, I've heard that Airvoice has good options available.
Check out http://www.reddit.com/r/nocontract and /r/cricketgroups if you want to add more to your group plan. There's also /r/cricketreferrals as well to get another $25.
Each additional line knocks off $10 up to 5. $40+30+20+10+0
Last edited by mikep on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoLongerTiming

Post by NoLongerTiming » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:00 am

I have this plan and also the associated hotspot with it that costs another $30 and allows you to do unlimited hotspot. I use it for my home high-speed internet. So for $115/month after corporate discount, I get 400 minutes + nights and weekends + 200 texts + unlimited 4GLTE Smartphone Data + unlimited hotspot of 4G LTE Data to as many devices as I want. And I don't need to pay Comcast or anyone for it. I use about 300-450GB / month. So it's worth it.

targ

Post by targ » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:10 am

When VZW started charging me that extra $20, they lost my business. It was ridiculous what I was paying for a single phone line - something like $80 and that even included a 25% or so corporate discount.

If you live in an area where VZW is really your best option, consider Straight Talk. They piggy-back either ATT or VZW depending on which sim card you get, so pay attention. I tried them for a while and everything worked great, same VZW footprint and quality, but half the price.

But since I have a Verizon iPhone and I'm tight, I left ST and went to Cricket (piggybacking ATT) to save another $10/month.

So, bottom line for me was I went from the VZW 450 minute, no text, unlimited data plan at $80+/mth + tax to the Cricket "unlimited" everything plan for $35/mth including tax. I couldn't be happier.
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:15 am

Not me, but some people do things just in case they may need it eventually (can't be reversed once done). Heck, I know people who do not need life insurance, but they buy it just in case they may catch a disease that makes them uninsurable later in life when they may need it. I think it is kind of like that.

NORDO

Post by NORDO » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:21 am

ILnative wrote:I'll second the Project Fi suggestion. Check it out before you make a decision.
I'll third it.

I've been on Fi for >6 months now (and was T-Mobile before that, and Verizon before that for years...) and it really is great. Especially if you ever travel internationally. Data is the same $10/GB essentially anywhere in the world. Texting is always free.

Now, I usually only use about 1.5 GB of data/month, so I will concede it's not the best if you're a heavy data user or WiFi is sparse. But if you can get past that it's a great option. My bill averages around $35-40 monthly, including taxes.

I spent 3 weeks in Europe over the past month and I'm pretty sure the bill was only about $3 more than normal (for a few phone calls that didn't route over WiFi).

https://fi.google.com

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:00 pm

achen9291 wrote:What made you guys switch from T-mobile to cricket? That plan also sounds enticing. 4 lines for $100? That's pretty good.. judging by how I'm paying over 3x that amount now.
The price/performance ratio is best with Cricket. (My own impetus was a 10% pay cut :shock: )

I hate all the "small print" items that are added to a traditional mobile/phone/cable/TV bill. You'll get told "That's only $40/month!" but when the bill comes it's $48. No such games with Cricket. The eat the taxes & fees, the rates are exactly what you pay. And they're way less than the competition. You're basically getting the AT&T network for much less money.

If I relied upon my mobile I would get Verizon (eg. Realtor, Contractor), but for the average user Cricket is fine.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:02 pm

sunny_socal wrote: I hate all the "small print" items that are added to a traditional mobile/phone/cable/TV bill. You'll get told "That's only $40/month!" but when the bill comes it's $48. No such games with Cricket. The eat the taxes & fees, the rates are exactly what you pay. And they're way less than the competition. You're basically getting the AT&T network for much less money.
Slight quibble, they don't "eat" the taxes&fees, you do pay them. I'm a happy Cricket customer BTW. And I really do like that their advertised prices are inclusive of taxes/fees. I think the way Verizon advertises Triple Play for as low as what, $59* is pretty bogus. By the time you slap on regional sports fees, set top box rental, modem/router rental, FCC fees, and a little more of "this and that" it is probably hitting what, $110-$120? Bleh.

mikep

Post by mikep » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:23 pm

You can also get unlimited data on cricket for $70, or $50 on a 5 line group plan.

Edie

Post by Edie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:05 pm

The $20 monthly increase for unlimited data was what drove our switch too... we were at $240 (inclusive of tax) a month for 4 cellphones (2 without data), and it was going to be $280 + some increase in taxes.

We switched to T-mobile 6Gb (not shared, each) plan for $130 a month (inclusive of tax), and I switched my phone to use WiFi (when we were on Verizon I refused to use WiFi since I was paying so much for data, I wanted to make sure I got my money's worth :P), and in 4 months I had the full 20Gb stash built up, pretty sure hubby and kids do too. The kids bought their own smartphones, and have data now, so we won twice.

There are places where I don't have as good of coverage as I used to, but those places are not my home or office, so meh, no skin off my nose.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:44 pm

That doesn't sound grandfathered to me, if they can change the price.

amd2135

Post by amd2135 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:56 am

If you want to keep Verizon coverage, need lots of data and aren't opposed to Walmart you should look at Total Wireless. They have a $100 / month plan with 4 lines and 15GB of shared data all the way down to $35/month for one line and 5GB of data. No roaming though.

If you need roaming, look at Selectel. You do get much less data for your money. They do have better support than anything TracFone & Co. can come up with for Total Wireless though. I'm with Selectel myself on the $30 plan.

Yes, you can use your existing LTE phones on either. You'll need new SIM cards though.

There are a few things that Verizon MVNOs don't have that Verizon themselves do. While you'll still get LTE, it will be slower. Not noticeably so IMO. You'll also lose visual voicemail if you have that.

NoLongerTiming

Post by NoLongerTiming » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:47 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:That doesn't sound grandfathered to me, if they can change the price.
They didn't change it for 5 years, but you're right. They could, in theory, jack it up to $300 a month if they wanted to. They no-doubt have some smart business analysts and consumer behavioralists that have profiled their remaining Unlimited population and the profitability of them and tried to figure out how much business they'd lose by doing this and how much more revenue they would gain and came up with $20 as the optimal price increase for now.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Shop around. I had Verizon and bought their marketing that they have the best network, even though it was very expensive. But now I have AT&T because my employer pays the bill. AT&T is BETTER in my area, and I haven't been anywhere where AT&T wasn't at least OK. Verizon is also miserable if you travel overseas.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:08 pm

achen9291 wrote:I'm on a grandfathered dataplan for Verizon, unlimited was $30/month but now they are raising it by $20 which makes it $50 a month I believe. I don't use it much but I feel like they are trying to push me off the unlimited plan. Is it worth it to keep it?

People think they have something special with a "grandfathered" plan. As you are finding out, they don't. They can just raise the price. My guess is they will keep raising the price until it covers all the data the unlimited plans use. Only the people that truly use a ton of data will stay on it.

You already answered your question. Why would you keep a plan you don't need? To be part of some secret society new customers can't get into?

From a business perspective,I have no issue with it. When companies offer unlimited data, you probably have 10% of the people using 80% of the data.

servusdei

Post by servusdei » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:39 pm

$320 a month is too much to pay for cell phone service. At a 10% return rate, that is $2,023,705.47 after 40 years. There are better uses for $2M in my opinion.

Have you checked out freedompop? It cost a low low price of $0 per month. They give 500MB free data each month, which can easily be increased to 1GB a month (google "freedompop friends"). Requesting data from friends can get you 1.5GB data per month. Also, wifi is unlimited. Download talkatone app with freedompop, and you also get unlimited talk and text.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Project fi

My first bill was $37...2nd bill was $29...3rd bill was $30

If you can control your data usage its a really cheap reliable option. For those who suck up a lot of data put it this way...each time you fire up facebook or check your weather app while using data its costing you money. You are paying money to check on someones status or check out what pictures they posted...are you kidding me!? lol at those people.

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:47 pm

If you are wondering why an unlimited data plan with Verizon could be considered "Grandfathered" when they raised the price from $30-$50... it is because nobody can get an unlimited data plan with Verizon now.

I use between 30-110 GB of data monthly. In retirement my husband and I travel 40-50% of the time -- and Verizon does have the best coverage of any provider. We stream movies, backup large photo files, etc. etc. without any concern of how much bandwidth we are using. We run our laptop, iPad, and Touch devices off of our Android phone hot spot. Much of our travel is in a trailer to RV parks, and park wifi almost never works well -- most parks forbid streaming audio or video.

When we are at home only a month or two between major trips, we don't bother hooking up cable/wifi, we just use the phone. Only reason we hook up cable for longer stays at home is that we miss the DVR and news shows we're hooked on that we can't get without cable.

They would have to double or triple the cost to get me to question keeping the plan...

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:11 pm

achen9291 wrote:Over the past 18 months I"ve seen the bill raise up slightly to what it is now, from $240 to $320. Overtime it feels like their services are cutting off my plan, as the prices increase..
What are actually using versus what you're paying for? Do you really need unlimited data or are you just assuming that you do? What's driving up the cost of your service? Reconsider the plans and features that you're signed up for to ensure that they're better serving your needs and budget.

I can't tell how many devices and lines you have but my wife and I each have our own line and we have a tablet sharing a pool of 6GB and our Verizon bill is ~$130 and will drop a bit more when her line is no longer under contract. If you're buying subsidized devices from Verizon then also reconsider that. Do the math both ways as they are offering service discounts if you're not taking a subsidy -- that's why our service will be dropping another $20 in September.

achen9291 wrote:The plan seems really good, I saw it earlier but we stuck with Verizon because we wanted to have signal and reliability. Does T-mobile still have signal/coverage issues?
As stated above, all carriers have coverage issues. What one has to do is determine that a potential carrier can provide coverage where one needs it the most versus simply assuming that a given carrier is universally better than the rest. Ask those that use TMO in your area or use a service that maps actual signal levels. Do not rely on procedurally generated coverage maps.

If you want to keep Verizon coverage then consider Verizon MVNO's.
achen9291 wrote:I didn't specify exactly how much data in my first post other than that I don't use much, so less than a Gig.
So why are you bleeding money for unlimited if you don't need it? Look into a suitable a data tier for your usage. You stated you've been going over on minutes. We have unlimited minutes and messages with our plan.

winterescape

Post by winterescape » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:34 pm

Republic wireless or project Fi, we personally switched from VZW to Republic wireless 2 years ago, total bill for both phones now $30/ month.

Next month Republic supports 7 new phones, I would wait until July.

Project Fi is very similar but not yet as mature