best wristwatch for the price

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
wije

best wristwatch for the price

Post by wije »

Hello, I'm looking for an inexpensive yet reliable and classy-looking men's analog watch (no Smart Watch) to wear to the office. I'm leaning towards the look of Timex's TW2P614009J Main Street Sport and am open to other ideas.

I heard Casio watches have some of the best value, but their faces are a bit too small for men to wear IMHO.
barnaclebob

Re: best wristwatch for the price

Post by barnaclebob »

I had a mechanical bulova watch that never failed me but it was stolen when my house was robbed. I think it was around $400 msrp but could be found for $280 pretty easily.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

I use a Citizen gold filled Eco-drive. Bought a pawn store $125, 10 years ago.
Had to replace a band pin. No other maintenance. No battery.
New today ~$500-700, retail.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

At that price range just buy whatever looks good to you. There is no "best" - they will all work about the same. Heck, good bet many are made in the same Chinese factory. This one is even water resistant to 165 ft.

Looks to be less than $50, highly rated by buyers, likely plenty accurate. You will not find anything particularly "better" at that price or cheaper but as good.

The only really difference one watch to another in this category is looks so pick one you like and be done with it.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

What do the wristwatches worn by the people one level above you in the corporate hierarchy look like, if they wear any? If they always check their smartphones when they want to find out what time it is, no wristwatch at all is probably the right choice. (Yes, that means we've reverted to pocket watches where you have to push a button.)

My vision eventually got to the point where I couldn't read my old watch without first putting on my reading glasses, but what I want is just to glance at it without any fuss. I bought a replacement for business use that has high contrast, but without making a big deal of it. This is the one, but it appears to be discontinued. Online it was slightly over $100 several years ago. My previous watch served me well for 20 years. Let's hope this one does.

PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey »

I have a Citizen Eco-Drive on my wrist. Cost under $200. Doesn't need a battery. It's legible, has a date window, and, of course, looks great! I put a leather strap on it as I didn't care for the canvas one.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watch ... BM8180-03E
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

My pet peeve with watches are the crystals. I guess I'm clumsy but I tend to bump into things and yet can't stand looking at a watch dial through a scratched up crystal. I've owned watches with Quartz crystals in the past and scratch them the first day - you can replace the crystal (at a cost) or you can buy a crystal that doesn't scratch (Sapphire). I always look at what the Crystal is and never buy a watch without a Sapphire Crystal. However, this typically puts you in a >$500 price range. Just my 2 cents (I'm sure many folks are fine with their Quartz crystals).
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust. You could probably get a pre-owned one for around $4,000-$5,000.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Seiko 5.

They range from $50-$200 on Amazon. They're automatic watches so you don't need a battery and require little to no maintenance. Seiko 5 watches provide incredible value for its low price.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I personally wouldn't go for that Timex - in the zoomed picture you can actually see the casting & machining marks in the metal, it doesn't appear to be of particularly high quality.

If you're in a hurry, within your price range:
- $50 - Casio from Walmart. The have some large analog models in stainless steel that look good. (42mm size, should be large enough)
- $100-200 - Go to any mall and visit the little islands/kiosks that sell watches, you're bound to find something. Invicta brand comes to mind along with Seiko. You can also visit the jewelry stores and department stores to scope out various models, but you'll save a lot by buying the same model from amazon once you've found it.

Beyond that you're throwing money away unless you're really into watches and know what you're getting (eg. I wouldn't pay $2k for a watch with a $5 quartz movement, but they are out there)

If you have more time, browse/join this forum:
http://walletfriendlywatchforum.com/

It used to be called "Poor Man's Watch Forum" , it was a gold mine for good watch values but the owner passed away :(

Here are a couple more sample websites for 'good value' watches:
http://everydaycarry.com/posts/7683/the ... -under-200
http://www.bestwatchguide.com/5-best-ch ... c-watches/
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I would surf on over to watchuseek.com for watch advice. Echoing another poster (above) I wouldn't consider any watch without a sapphire crystal, that's all I buy anymore.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Petrocelli wrote:Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust. You could probably get a pre-owned one for around $4,000-$5,000.
Not a bad idea, considering you can probably sell that $5k Rolex for $5k should you ever need to. OTOH the $200 watch instantly depreciates to zero when you walk out of the store.

Get what you can afford.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I'm wearing a $21 Timex that takes a licking, and just keeps on ticking. I've had it for 4 years now, and wear it every day. Battery is still original, and I'm planning on having it replaced in the fall.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
DiscoBunny1979

Post by DiscoBunny1979 »

My vote(s) is for the Citizen EcoDrive Chronograph with stainless steel wrist band or something by Invicta
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

+1 for the Citizen eco-drive watch. I got mine ~ 10 years ago and it still looks and works great. I see no reason to spend more than $250 or so.
De gustibus non est disputandum
jose

Post by jose »

Best deal I ever got:

Casio Men's MDV106-1AV Stainless Steel Watch. $40. Perfect after one year of my dad using it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009K ... UTF8&psc=1

Second best deal is the Tissot PRS200 I"m wearing. Got it from Ebay from around $100 (new) and it is great. That TISSOT is pretty much on par with a TAG Heuer, Omega, or other watches in the $1000-$3000 range.

Jose
Toons

Post by Toons »

For the Price?
Casio G Shock 8-)

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

jose wrote:Best deal I ever got:

Casio Men's MDV106-1AV Stainless Steel Watch. $40. Perfect after one year of my dad using it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009K ... UTF8&psc=1

Second best deal is the Tissot PRS200 I"m wearing. Got it from Ebay from around $100 (new) and it is great. That TISSOT is pretty much on par with a TAG Heuer, Omega, or other watches in the $1000-$3000 range.

Jose
And the Tissot has a Sapphire Crystal! (Tissot may be the lowest entry price to get a Sapphire Crystal).
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

Petrocelli wrote:Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust. You could probably get a pre-owned one for around $4,000-$5,000.
Yeah. This is the one. Looks good while wearing jeans, flip flops, and a t-shirt, or dressed up well beyond that. This piece of jewelry will never go out of style.

And it tells the time too.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Just bought an inexpensive (about $24 including shipping) wind watch from Amazon. You see the guts of the watch front and back. Here is one I am considering purchasing. The price looks "right" :moneybag
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Seriously?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

What about the Apple iWatch?
gips

Post by gips »

+1 seiko, I''m not recommending this seller, but the orange seiko 5 monster has some cred among watch lovers:
https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SKX781-Ora ... B000EPLR2G
Last edited by gips on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

gips wrote:+1 seiko, I''m not recommending this seller, but the orange seiko 5 has some cred among watch lovers:
https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Automatic- ... o+5+prange
Is Orange really considered "classy-looking" these days?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

abuss368 wrote:
Seriously?
LOL. The OP said "inexpensive" and didn't mention a specific price range and to some people $5K is inexpensive (and it is compared to a $50,000 watch). Inexpensive is a subjective term (as are other terms such as "Classy-looking"). OP probably should have given a price-range.
gips

Post by gips »

>>Is Orange really considered "classy-looking" these days?
orange was never considered classy. that's the point.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

gips wrote:orange was never considered classy. that;s the point.
OP asked for "classy-looking" suggestions.
gips

Post by gips »

>>OP asked for "classy-looking" suggestions.
point taken, it's more of a casual, sports watch. I guess what led me down that path is that OPs timex is a sport watch and doesn't meet my definition of classy (for me, it's simple, elegant design). here's an example of my definition of inexpensive and classy:

https://huckberry.com/store/antoine-arn ... f-st-louis

having said that, I know quite a bit about watches, have been tempted, but have never bought one, so I haven't put my money where my mouth is.
Last edited by gips on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

A $20 watch will tell time as well as a $5,000-25,000 one. If you are looking for a watch that tells the time, get one that looks nice to you. If you want a $10,000 watch, ask yourself why before purchasing.

Tim
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

gips wrote:+1 seiko, I''m not recommending this seller, but the orange seiko 5 monster has some cred among watch lovers:
https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SKX781-Ora ... B000EPLR2G
My Seiko from the 80's didn't last me 4 years. I was quite upset about that. The crystal had cracked and moister had gotten inside.
It was a beautiful watch. Silver, as that's my preference.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

DaftInvestor wrote:
abuss368 wrote:
Seriously?
LOL. The OP said "inexpensive" and didn't mention a specific price range and to some people $5K is inexpensive (and it is compared to a $50,000 watch). Inexpensive is a subjective term (as are other terms such as "Classy-looking"). OP probably should have given a price-range.
Good points indeed.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

DaftInvestor wrote:
gips wrote:+1 seiko, I''m not recommending this seller, but the orange seiko 5 has some cred among watch lovers:
https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Automatic- ... o+5+prange
Is Orange really considered "classy-looking" these days?
We can thank the Denver Broncos for Orange popularity. Can't we?
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads,

I always enjoyed to story of our mentor, Jack Bogle and his wrist watch. Essentially he received a $12 watch as a gift and wears that with pride. What a role model.

Perhaps Taylor knows this story.

Best.
JimmyD

Post by JimmyD »

Another vote for the Citizen Eco-Drive. I've been wearing this one for about a year now and absolutely love it. Daily auto-sync to the atomic clock keeps it accurate to the second. Titanium band means it's ultra light. Totally satisfied for ~$500.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Phineas J. Whoopee

abuss368 wrote:What about the Apple iWatch?
No, because OP.
PJW
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
No, because OP.
PJW
Do you have an expensive or inexpensive watch? What is your recommendation? I do not think the Apple Watch is expensive so that was my recommendation. But thank you for that very valuable link to the first post. See a few posts above (you may have to scroll up instead of a link) in terms of expensive vs. inexpensive!

Best.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
No, because OP.
PJW
I also forgot to ask if you like your Apple Watch? Would you recommend?
RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey »

Also, if I wanted to spend more than what I did on my Citizen Eco-Drive I would have bought a Techne watch:
http://technewatches.biz/

The Merlin (less than $300) is clean and sophisticated while the Harrier (less than $500) is more pilot style. :sharebeer
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).
Phineas J. Whoopee

abuss368 wrote:...
Do you have an expensive or inexpensive watch? What is your recommendation? I do not think the Apple Watch is expensive so that was my recommendation. But thank you for that very valuable link to the first post. See a few posts above (you may have to scroll up instead of a link) in terms of expensive vs. inexpensive!
Why do you need to ask?
PJW
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I previously wore an Oris watch. It cost around $100. It was a good watch. I like it
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Shinola

Made in Detroit. More expensive than some on this list but cool, beautiful leather straps and distinctive without being gimmicky
Topic Author
wije

Post by wije »

sunny_socal wrote:I personally wouldn't go for that Timex - in the zoomed picture you can actually see the casting & machining marks in the metal, it doesn't appear to be of particularly high quality.
Thanks for the advice, I won't be getting the Timex. Regarding Casio, Jose recommended the MDV106-1AV which is within the price range I was thinking of (although I'm not a diver). It's a bit too dark for my taste but we'll see.

The Citizen Eco-Drives recommended here look really nice (they also have sapphire crystal) but are out of my price range. You're right, I can spend $200+ on them but they'll be worth $0 as soon as they're in my hand. I'll probably misplace them anyway, and even if I don't I'll be thinking all the time I'm wearing a few hundred bucks on my wrist.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Timeless Casio F-91W

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-F91W-1-Cla ... asio+F-91w

:sharebeer

I rarely take mine off. I have a smaller wrist, so it fits me perfectly.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
tacster

Post by tacster »

How about Momentum? They have a number of models <$200 with optional sapphire crystal if desired.

Example: http://www.momentumwatch.com/product/ba ... r-leather/
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
slow n steady

Post by slow n steady »

abuss368 wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
abuss368 wrote:
Seriously?
Good points indeed.
Watches have been talked about around here before.

viewtopic.php?t=27707

I was surprised this thread wasn't mentioned yet.

I own a MVMT watch and I get compliments on it. I don't know that much about watches so YMMV.

http://www.mvmtwatches.com/collections/ ... ck-leather
CABob

Post by CABob »

I've gotten so I am uncomfortable wearing a watch most of the time, but a few years ago I was attracted to Skagen watches and bought one. I think they are attractive and many of them quite thin rather than bulky like many these days. It appears that prices start at a bit above $100 and go up from there. I have seen them at Costco and Sam's Club at very attractive prices.
Bob
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Toons wrote:For the Price?
Casio G Shock 8-)

Another recommendation for the G Shock. :sharebeer
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

Petrocelli wrote:I previously wore an Oris watch. It cost around $100. It was a good watch. I like it
100$ for an Oris? Wow! I have an Oris TT1 divers watch for about 8 years. Cost me 1000$. A great watch, though. Better lume than my Omega Sea master.
marty
apex84

Post by apex84 »

I think one of the best values is the Seiko SGG727 (white dial), SGG729 (blue dial), SGG731 (black dial). The watches are titanium with a titanium braclet which is very light (but will show scratches like most watches). It has a sapphire crystal (which is unlikely to scratch). It's has a 100 m water resistance rating and is about $120.