Where to find data on medical procedure complications

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TheGreyingDuke

Where to find data on medical procedure complications

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:01 pm

Is there a resource to identify, for a particular procedure, what facilities have the lowest complication rate?

The procedure in mind is amniocentesis and various sources state that the complication rate ranges from 1 in 200 to 1 in 400, a not insignificant difference. It is clear that those who perform many of any procedure are likely to be the lower risk centers, but who are they??
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

mhalley

Re: Where to find data on medical procedure complications

Post by mhalley » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:02 am

Maybe one of these hospitals? http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/li ... -2013.html
http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/qu ... 41216.html
But the most imprtant decision is the surgeon. I see a couple of sites that give rates for things like bypasses and gal bladders, but don't see one for gyn procedures.

LowER

Post by LowER » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:32 am

And what do those numbers really mean?

Some docs routinely take on high risk patients; their "success" numbers will be lower. Are they really not as good? The global metrics in medicine are horribly flawed.

They might be better, given the context(s).

If you don't trust your doctor, go elsewhere - everyone will be happier. If your doctor shrugs at a second opinion, and you have time and resources for a second or third opinion, jump. Most docs are elated with other opinions, and some are not. I rejoice in 17th opinions because 16 of those take the weight off my shoulders, even if they disagree.

I hope that someday my patients will have one hundredth the odds that you do for great outcomes.

I wish you the best during an exciting time in life....

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:49 pm

In this case, such stats are not available. The majority of amniocentesis procedures are carried out in private doctors' offices or maternal-fetal medicine clinics. There is no reporting procedure for complications from these places.

You can ask the practitioner involved about his/her results, but I think you will just get the generic answer you already have. Those are the numbers bandied around for 40 years or more.

Jabberwockt

Post by Jabberwockt » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:50 pm

You can try healthcarebluebook for prices, not sure if they have complication statistics.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

LowER wrote: If you don't trust your doctor, go elsewhere - everyone will be happier. If your doctor shrugs at a second opinion, and you have time and resources for a second or third opinion, jump. Most docs are elated with other opinions, and some are not. I rejoice in 17th opinions because 16 of those take the weight off my shoulders, even if they disagree.
It isn't a matter of trust, but rather length of experience and frequency to perform the procedure. From what I hear from my phusician friends, there are practitoners that they would never send their family members to. That would be a useful list!
LowER wrote:I hope that someday my patients will have one hundredth the odds that you do for great outcomes.

I wish you the best during an exciting time in life....
Many thanks for the good wishes, to clarify, becoming a grandpa (!) will be a hoot.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:56 pm

It isn't a matter of trust, but rather length of experience and frequency to perform the procedure. From what I hear from my phusician friends, there are practitoners that they would never send their family members to.
Two different factors here, Duke!

Yes, experience to learn the task is important. But some of the longest experienced docs are among the worst, too.

It's true, most of us physicians soon learn who these folks are in our communities. No, there isn't going to be a published list of them!

Ask your doc friends, or nurses. They'll probably help you make the right choice, but it'll be indirect.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:53 pm

LowER wrote:And what do those numbers really mean?

Some docs routinely take on high risk patients; their "success" numbers will be lower. Are they really not as good? The global metrics in medicine are horribly flawed.
I'm that guy in my community. I have patients that drive across the state for 4+ hours (including from 2 university centers) because nobody else is willing to touch them because they are certainly a ticking time bomb of complications. While I have no metrics, I am willing to bet my complication rates are higher than those who cherry-pick their cases. Not because I'm worse at it, but because of the biology my patients present to me before I even touch them.

This is also the reason I am no longer in-network with insurance plans. I used to have to turn away patients because their cases were not "insurance cases". To work at a discount for insurance fees, a case has to be a slam dunk and many were not appropriate for insurance fees. Insurance does not pay for expertise. If you feel your case is complex and/or uncommon, don't completely exclude looking for someone outside of your insurance network.
Last edited by toofache32 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:15 pm

obgraham wrote:
It isn't a matter of trust, but rather length of experience and frequency to perform the procedure. From what I hear from my phusician friends, there are practitoners that they would never send their family members to.
Two different factors here, Duke!

Yes, experience to learn the task is important. But some of the longest experienced docs are among the worst, too.

It's true, most of us physicians soon learn who these folks are in our communities. No, there isn't going to be a published list of them!

Ask your doc friends, or nurses. They'll probably help you make the right choice, but it'll be indirect.
Affable, available and able are the 3 As
Most of the time the first two are all others see given small number of interactions compared to complication rates. Docs and nurses can be poor judges. If it is a training program and can ask them, talk to the residents after buying them food. If not then other doctors can at least spot someone on the far edge some of the time.
While experience is not a gaurentee, it is reasonable to ask how many procedures in the past 1-2 years and have some doubts for a very small number.
OTOH Most physicians are fine and I would not be overly worried.
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."