High End Wrist Watches (Gone Crazy)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: IWC Watch, any thoughts? [Wristwatch brand]

Post by stoptothink »

tim1999 wrote:
corn18 wrote:OP back again. I chose this one:

It just fits what I want better than the other one.

Corn
To each their own, but this watch just looks cheap to me.
Most high-end watches look almost completely indistinguishable from others which are a fraction of the price and there is literally zero functionality difference. I've just accepted that it is one of those things I will never understand.
HomerJ

Re: High End Wrist Watches (Gone Crazy)

Post by HomerJ »

I find it interesting that we don't have any threads with BH women showing off the different types of expensive jewelry they own.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

To keep this actionable, I would put the wisdom of a large non-essential purchase into a retirement/investment realm.

Does this purchase allow you to contribute at least 15% to your retirement this year or at least max out tax advantage accounts if that is less? Does this purchase represent < 1% of your portfolio?

I would propose that if the answer to one of these questions is not yes, you can not "afford" to spend this much money on such a non-essential purchase.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Thanks for posting. Very nice watches on this thread. Something to hand down to a grandkid one day -- like memories.

OTOH these expenses, for luxuries and passions, whether a Porche or Rolex, are the stuff of life and therefore within one's "investment portfolio" strategies.
Actionably, how much would one allocate for something like this? Short term "bucket 1"? Or is it saved up for in liquid MM or short term CD's? Definitely not an emergency fund tap.
What is the strategy for saving up for expensive purchases inside of one's withdrawal rate?
Is it "skimmed" and saved on the side from one's earnings before contributions. . . . ? But if in the withdrawal phase, maybe it's too late for "High End Wrist Watches".
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
PandaBear

Post by PandaBear »

VaR wrote:
PandaBear wrote:If I could have any watch it would be a Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Perpetual in White Gold. Those things are, in my opinion, the very last word in high end wrist watches.
Why not the version in stainless steel?
The stainless steel version is very handsome as well. Honestly, for a watch that I intend to use every day, I would go with stainless steel. In my experience, white gold doesn't hold up as well as stainless steel when it comes to watches. That said, the title of the thread high end wrist watches and I think the white gold version is about as "high end" as that line of watches goes. I may be wrong, but I don't think they have a platinum piece.

P.S. - Personally, I would get the stainless steel version if it was for me.
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

if I were going to spend $20k on a watch it would be an A. Lange & Sohne.
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Good inputs on how this all gets paid for. For me, I save 40% of my gross income to fund my early retirement at age 55. College for both kids is fully funded. EF is plump. I have a car fund, vacation fund, elective surgery fund. All expected and unexpected expenses for the foreseeable future are funded. I put an extra $50k towards retirement this year as well.

The funds for these purchases is taken out of the left overs. I could put it towards retirement, and maybe I should, but I find this to be an enjoyable hobby. No way to justify how a $10k watch is the fiscally responsible approach to time keeping, so I don't try. My iPhone serves that role perfectly well. But I enjoy buying and selling these watches and I have bought and sold a lot of them in the past year. I'm wearing a Rolex Daytona I picked up last week for a bargain and I may or may not keep it. Nice watch.

Corn
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

corn18 wrote:Good inputs on how this all gets paid for. For me, I save 40% of my gross income to fund my early retirement at age 55. College for both kids is fully funded. EF is plump. I have a car fund, vacation fund, elective surgery fund. All expected and unexpected expenses for the foreseeable future are funded. I put an extra $50k towards retirement this year as well.

The funds for these purchases is taken out of the left overs. I could put it towards retirement, and maybe I should, but I find this to be an enjoyable hobby. No way to justify how a $10k watch is the fiscally responsible approach to time keeping, so I don't try. My iPhone serves that role perfectly well. But I enjoy buying and selling these watches and I have bought and sold a lot of them in the past year. I'm wearing a Rolex Daytona I picked up last week for a bargain and I may or may not keep it. Nice watch.

Corn
Nine months ago you said you had been searching for 6 Years for the right luxury watch. Fast forward today and it sounds like you have bought and sold a multitude of high end watches over the last 9 months. Did you find it easier after the first purchase or is there a particular buy/sell website you found that set you on this course? Just curious.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

While I can relate to having an admiration and fascination with high-end wrist watches, I'll probably never spend more then $100 on a wrist watch. I don't see wrist watches as items to be preserved and passed down to future generations but rather something that I'll have to replace every few years or so. If I could spend $10k on whatever I want (and I couldn't invest it) I would probably use it to upgrade my desktop computer or something. Unlike with wrist watches, it's not aesthetics that separates a high-end computer from a low-end computer.
ClevrChico wrote:I couldn't decide on a model and defaulted to a Casio F-91W.
I have the same Casio model as you. :happy
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

flamesabers wrote:While I can relate to having an admiration and fascination with high-end wrist watches, I'll probably never spend more then $100 on a wrist watch. I don't see wrist watches as items to be preserved and passed down to future generations but rather something that I'll have to replace every few years or so. If I could spend $10k on whatever I want (and I couldn't invest it) I would probably use it to upgrade my desktop computer or something. Unlike with wrist watches, it's not aesthetics that separates a high-end computer from a low-end computer.
ClevrChico wrote:I couldn't decide on a model and defaulted to a Casio F-91W.
I have the same Casio model as you. :happy
Another Casio F-91W watch wearing Boglehead here. I never take mine off. Pronounced "Cah see oh" it feels fancier. :shock:
leonard

Post by leonard »

corn18 wrote:elective surgery fund.
Huh?
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose »

I found that I like having a mechanical watch even if it's not high-end. I'm currently very happy with my Seiko SKXA35 which I got for about $225 on ebay.

Post by 691175002 »

Sandtrap wrote:Actionably, how much would one allocate for something like this? Short term "bucket 1"? Or is it saved up for in liquid MM or short term CD's? Definitely not an emergency fund tap.
Pull it straight out of your long term savings after the market has had 3+ good up years. You don't want to be making large discretionary purchases in the middle of a bear market because they effectively become more expensive as a percentage of assets.
keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple »

corn18 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:43 am If anyone is still following the saga, the collection is growing.

I've just started following this thread and am intrigued. What's in your collection now corn18? Also, I noticed a couple of Bremont's in your collection and wondered how you like them?
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

keepingitsimple wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:34 pm
corn18 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:43 am If anyone is still following the saga, the collection is growing.

I've just started following this thread and am intrigued. What's in your collection now corn18? Also, I noticed a couple of Bremont's in your collection and wondered how you like them?
This is my current collection:

Love the Bremonts. Unique and very fighter pilot. I wear the G-Shock most of the time.

This is all the ones I bought and sold.

keepingitsimple

corn18 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:43 pm
keepingitsimple wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:34 pm

This is my current collection:

Love the Bremonts. Unique and very fighter pilot. I wear the G-Shock most of the time.

This is all the ones I bought and sold.

That's a great current and past collection! I saw a Bremont MB 1 on Crown & Caliber if you need temptation for a hard to get watch, lol. But it's 55K! Your A. Lange Sohne appears to have been a complicated piece. Thanks for sharing!
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Out of all of those, I wish I still had these 4:

keepingitsimple

corn18 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:03 pm Out of all of those, I wish I still had these 4:

I can see why, each is unique and can hold it's own. I really like the dial of the Rolex Deep Blue. It's a larger case than a Rolex Submariner isn't it? My daily wearer is a Rolex Submariner from 1977. I purchased it from the original owner (who was a watchmaker) a number of years ago and of all the watches I've had it's the one I would struggle to part with the most.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

corn18 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:03 pm Out of all of those, I wish I still had these 4:

What happened to that gorgeous Tag Heuer Aquaracer U.S. Naval Academy?
[Did I miss it?]

A friend has a Rolex with that beautiful blue face, and a bezel that is a bit more slim than the Rolex Deep Blue... more like the Tag Heuer. Or maybe it's just a larger face?
His is stainless, which looks just fine.

If I "needed" another "sport watch", that would be "it", for sure. But I've thought that for > 20 years now. :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I really don't see the point of buying an analog watch. They don't do anything and the thing that they do (tell time) is inferior to a digital watch. I can read the time off a digital watch much faster than an analog one where I have to see where the little and big hands are pointing to and guess if the little hand is really at a 5 or going to a six. They may look nice (subjectively speaking to some), but are not for me. I am currently sporting a $600 USD Suunto digital watch with an orange leather band. It tells the time and does some other stuff, but I love the large digital numbers and the large watch face. I've gotten it a few years ago and I think if people see it today, they may think it is a smart watch. Only fault is I have to replace the battery every year, but it only takes 2 mins to replace.

Point is buy whatever you like if you can afford it.
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

cheesepep wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:31 am I really don't see the point of buying an analog watch. They don't do anything and the thing that they do (tell time) is inferior to a digital watch. . . .
You are 100% correct. My 3 Omegas, my Doxa, my Stowa, my Nomos, and my JS (from Reykjavik) don't keep time as well as my $19.99 digital Timex from Walmart. That, of course, is not the point. They are jewelry. They are pleasing to look upon. They feel suberb on my wrist.

A Toyota Corolla will get me to work as well as a Ferrari.
Retired: VBIAX 100%
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

c.coyle wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:32 am
cheesepep wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:31 am I really don't see the point of buying an analog watch. They don't do anything and the thing that they do (tell time) is inferior to a digital watch. . . .
You are 100% correct. My 3 Omegas, my Doxa, my Stowa, my Nomos, and my JS (from Reykjavik) don't keep time as well as my $19.99 digital Timex from Walmart. That, of course, is not the point. They are jewelry. They are pleasing to look upon. They feel suberb on my wrist.

A Toyota Corolla will get me to work as well as a Ferrari.
That $9.95 Timex Star Trek watch from 1977 that I have keeps better time than the $42,000 ALS I had. My $54 G-Shock is linked to an atomic time reference and is spot on all the time. I didn't buy the high end watches to keep better time.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

Watches are worn for style. Men are allowed a minimal amount of jewelry. Watches and cufflinks are about all that are tolerated by society. (And it's been a while since cufflinks were considered commonplace.)

I personally like the Omega Seamaster collection. ( https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watc ... 2412101002 ) A bit less expensive and I find it quite dashing.

But to each his own.
:beer
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

corn18 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:46 am . . . That $9.95 Timex Star Trek watch from 1977 that I have keeps better time than the $42,000 ALS I had. My $54 G-Shock is linked to an atomic time reference and is spot on all the time. I didn't buy the high end watches to keep better time.
Does anybody really know what time it is? - Robert Lamm
Retired: VBIAX 100%
Freefun

Re: IWC Watch, any thoughts?

Post by Freefun »

Timoneer wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:14 pm
corn18 wrote:I have been searching for the right premium watch for about 6 years. I don't need one, can't justify the cost and realize it is a luxury. My favorite watch is my Casio WaveCeptor that syncs with some nuclear clock signal and cost $69....

1. Any input on IWC as a watch?
As a watch, the IWC keeps far worse time than your Casio. Its poorer accuracy will get worse with age. It is more susceptible to mechanical shock and strong magnetic fields. It will require expensive maintenance every few years. It does not have an alarm function. In terms of modern timekeeping it sucks. Its only real value is as bling. Whether the bling value is $20k is a question that only you can answer.
+100

For me it would have to do a lot more than tell me the time.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

It always fascinates me that so many people feel the need to barf on any thread that talks about high end watches.

"I use my phone"
"I don't wear a watch"
"A $10 Timex tells time better"

Yeah, we get it.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I agree with the above posts and that is why I own a (semi) stylish digital watch with a large watch face. It costs me about $600 USD and I'm quite happy with it. It is about 4 years old now and I love it. Just buy whatever you want and can afford. If you have to take out a loan or borrow money for a watch, then it is not for you.
HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf »

The fact is either you are a watch person or you are not.

I wore my Apple Watch for months straight. It has great utility. I sold it and went back to my mechanical watches. I still rotate 2 Rolexes, and 1 IWC. I love looking at my wrist to check the time. After about month 3 with the Apple Watch, I dreaded looking at my wrist to see the next message, calendar entry, reminder, etc.

I am hoping the mechanical watches withstand the test of time and my son appreciates them after I pass. That said, whether he likes it or not, he’s getting one (probably the Submariner)at graduation (college or high school).
ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 »

I'm kind of surprised this thread has lasted as long as it has without the anti-mechanical watch crowd burying the entire conversation.

Corn - you had a seriously nice collection going there with the JLC's, ALS's, IWC's and Rolex's - very nice!
pennylane

Post by pennylane »

I had the luxury watch bug about 4 years ago. Made the move and dropped about $11,000 for the watch, I must of wore it no more than 50 times over the last 4 years.

Surprisingly it looks like the same watch goes for about $12-15k now so to my surprise it’s held or appreaciated in value but I will to this day say it was one of, if not the dumbest purchase I’ve ever made in my life. Don’t even waste your money.

I wear my pre-owned $190 Apple Watch on a daily basis.
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

corn18 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:58 am It always fascinates me that so many people feel the need to barf on any thread that talks about high end watches.

"I use my phone"
"I don't wear a watch"

Yeah, we get it.
You started this thread to claim you might get an IWC, and then finished it with a huge picture of your dealings with +/- 50 high end watches. Are you in business trading watches? Or you just "happened" to have turned over hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of watches? You bought and sold four vintage Rolexes and a handful of Omegas in the last few months?
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

ladders11 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:51 pm
corn18 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:58 am It always fascinates me that so many people feel the need to barf on any thread that talks about high end watches.

"I use my phone"
"I don't wear a watch"

Yeah, we get it.
You started this thread to claim you might get an IWC, and then finished it with a huge picture of your dealings with +/- 50 high end watches. Are you in business trading watches? Or you just "happened" to have turned over hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of watches? You bought and sold four vintage Rolexes and a handful of Omegas in the last few months?
Just goes to show that you never know when and where your next hobby will emerge! If corn18 finds pleasure in collecting watches and can afford to do so than the new hobby is priceless. :sharebeer
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

"I use my phone"
"I don't wear a watch"

Yeah, we get it.
I think there’s nothing wrong with spending money on something you want, if you have the money. Everyone on this forum buys something someone else would think is ridiculous. I myself got a little obsessed with buying leather wallets last year. Fortunately I limited the damage to about $500 over 12 months.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Somewhere on the list is trading my Rolex for an automatic Calatrava in 18K White Gold including bracelet. Although at this point the R sits in an auto winder and rarely goes out. The car has an IWC built in though.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

If OP has the net worth to support the watch, I say go ahead. I am not sure what net worth supports the purchase.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:09 am If OP has the net worth to support the watch, I say go ahead. I am not sure what net worth supports the purchase.
You must have missed the intermediate 3 pages of posts. OP has gone through $250k of watches in the past few years :D
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

corn18 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:00 pm I currently wear an Apple Watch so my coworkers stopped making fun of me.
Tell your coworkers to buzz off and get a life. You need to get that Casio back. If you purchase a new timepiece, definitely still wear the Casio to work.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:09 am If OP has the net worth to support the watch, I say go ahead. I am not sure what net worth supports the purchase.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

OMG, this has been quite the thread. In 1993 my wife bought me a Geneve 14K gold watch at TJ Maxx. Their price was $399.99 and she got it for $150 on clearance. It’s a nice looking watch, but as I am afraid to wear it, I probably have only worn it maybe a dozen times. I’m kind of tough on things and am also afraid of being robbed. I can’t imaging wearing a watch worth tens of thousands of dollars. One wrong move and poof, it’s gone.

Anybody can collect anything they want and there is no need to pass judgement on them for it. Ourselves, we collected lots of different things over the past 40 plus years (nothing as expensive as these watches), but now we find ourselves trying to cut down, declutter, and simplify. We would much rather collect memories, as we just did on a two week trip to Portugal and Spain. That trip cost us $6000 plus 160,000 Marriott points door to door. Our best type of investment.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Nice collection… OP based on your piloting background, I'm surprised you favor the Rolex Sub over the Rolex GMT Master. Seems like a natural conversational segue.

Regarding the high turnover in your collection… how are you mitigating transaction costs and depreciation? Any negative transactions or vendor experiences? I saw one mention of a DOA watch that seemed to get resolved quickly.
hmw

Post by hmw »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/25/your ... ction.html

Interesting article on expensive watches today.
weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz »

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
midareff

Post by midareff »

It's not a watch, it's a man's jewelry and a bit of self expression of what we find attractive. I say that having a premium watch (Rolex) and having had a second one I sold last year for what I had in after having use of it for ten years. I bought the first one Grey Market new and the second had probably not been worn 5 times since new and had just changed hands on a football game and the new owner wanted fast cash for it.

Now, watches can be a problem. The one I sold I used to wear to business trips in Las Vegas and it attracted every hooker within 500 yards. With my next B-Day being 71 I just don't want to send out an invitation for a mugging by wearing it so I sold it. The one that is left gets worn to restaurants, movies, doctor's offices, grocery store and so forth when we go out. The rest of the time it sits in a winder. I had a $69 Bulova I got as a retirement gist and used to wear for use in foreign country's, but that quit and it was more than battery change so out it went. It will be replaced by a $10 Black Plastic Resin Casio, and not to be too crude at finer cruise dining I'm taking a shot at a nice Movado on eBay. Will see what that does. All in all, I'd like a Patek Calatrava but am in no hurry.
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack »

The least important thing a watch does is tell the time.

I like to see what watch collections people have amassed. It's a fun little game of guessing the personality of a person from their collection of cars/watches/art/furniture. I recently got back into watches after going through years without wearing one. I wore a fitbit for a year, but it was always out of place in a dress shirt environment.

This year, I bought a $100 Seiko diver just to get back into the habit of wearing watches. After a month of daily use, I bought a lightly used Oris D26. I've shopped and tried on many different watches, and it still fascinates me. One of my greater disappointments was that I didn't like wearing a Rolex Submariner in person anywhere as much as I thought I would.
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

I love the look of high end watches many are works of art. I just don’t like wearing things on my wrist so I just use my phone. However I understand why people love their watches.
Mingus

Re: IWC Watch, any thoughts?

Post by Mingus »

baw703916 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:26 pm
Petrocelli wrote:Do you really think people who spend $25,000 on a watch are worried whether their watch keeps time more accurately than a Casio?
If I spend $25K on a watch, I expect it to be an atomic clock that fits on my wrist.

For the record, I have way more than $25K invested in IWC (the mutual fund). :)
Except you may be looking at it from the wrong angle. It's not a watch that costs 25K.

It's a piece of jewelry that costs 25K with a clock attached to it.
dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 »

"I don't know anything about fine watches."

So why on Earth, would you want to spend so much on one?

Sorry, this makes zero sense to me. Now if you were really into watches, and knew a lot about them, I might start to understand.
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

dustinst22 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:38 pm "I don't know anything about fine watches."

So why on Earth, would you want to spend so much on one?

Sorry, this makes zero sense to me. Now if you were really into watches, and knew a lot about them, I might start to understand.
Between that original post and today, I learned a lot and enjoyed wearing some mighty fine time pieces. But through the whole process I found I am just not a high end watch guy. I kept a couple of $5k Bremont custom watches and my Casio G-Shock.

If I had to rebuy one watch it would be the A. Lange Sohne.
Last edited by corn18 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

I really enjoy "living vicariously through others", thanks for continuing to post OP.

I had my first "luxury" watch given to me by my parents this last Christmas. (A $300 Garmin Fenix 3 sapphire - prior year model, so it had just dropped in price by $200 since the Fenix 5 came out). Not in the same league, but I get quite a bit of use out of it and still find it novel to think I'm walking around wearing $300 on my wrist. :D
weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz »

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.