High End Wrist Watches (Gone Crazy)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
corn18

High End Wrist Watches (Gone Crazy)

Post by corn18 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:00 pm

I have been searching for the right premium watch for about 6 years. I don't need one, can't justify the cost and realize it is a luxury. My favorite watch is my Casio WaveCeptor that syncs with some nuclear clock signal and cost $69. I currently wear an Apple Watch so my coworkers stopped making fun of me. It tells time really well but needs charged all the time. Etc., etc., etc... I can afford a fancy watch and will be buying it for me, not for anyone else.

Ok, with all that being said, I found the one I want (IWC Portuguese 7 day, model # IW500113):

I don't know anything about fine watches. This one costs a lot. Retail is $24,200. Standard AD discounted price is $18,995. Grey market is $15,850. I found a nice pre-owned for $14,500 that I might be able to get for a bit less.

Questions:

1. Any input on IWC as a watch?
2. Any thoughts on new from authorized dealer, new grey market (no factory warranty) or slightly used with balance of factory warranty.

Any other thoughts, relevant or not, are welcome.

Corn
Last edited by corn18 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LAlearning

Re: IWC Watch, any thoughts?

Post by LAlearning » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:28 pm

my vote: no.
I know nothing!

smitty1515

Post by smitty1515 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:42 pm

Maybe I'm at the wrong time of life to contribute but my thoughts are $15-$20,000 all watches do the same; tell time. If you do choose to buy the luxury watch and are looking to sell your Apple Watch at a nice discount I'm interested...
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett

qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:46 pm

Pretty
IWC is a very legitimate company and you have chosen a classic
How much you want to spend is related to what brings you joy and how much joy per marginal dollar
Just make sure it is not a fake in the grey market

stratton

Post by stratton » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:52 pm

It hasn't gone down enough to buy the iShares Micro-Cap ETF (IWC).

Keep watch on it.

Paul

PS this is a financial board. :moneybag :wink:
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Stunning watch!

If it holds its value and you like it, buy it.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

Timoneer

Post by Timoneer » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:14 pm

corn18 wrote:I have been searching for the right premium watch for about 6 years. I don't need one, can't justify the cost and realize it is a luxury. My favorite watch is my Casio WaveCeptor that syncs with some nuclear clock signal and cost $69....

As a watch, the IWC keeps far worse time than your Casio. Its poorer accuracy will get worse with age. It is more susceptible to mechanical shock and strong magnetic fields. It will require expensive maintenance every few years. It does not have an alarm function. In terms of modern timekeeping it sucks. Its only real value is as bling. Whether the bling value is $20k is a question that only you can answer.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:17 pm

Timoneer wrote:
corn18 wrote:I have been searching for the right premium watch for about 6 years. I don't need one, can't justify the cost and realize it is a luxury. My favorite watch is my Casio WaveCeptor that syncs with some nuclear clock signal and cost $69....

As a watch, the IWC keeps far worse time than your Casio. Its poorer accuracy will get worse with age. It is more susceptible to mechanical shock and strong magnetic fields. It will require expensive maintenance every few years. It does not have an alarm function. In terms of modern timekeeping it sucks. Its only real value is as bling. Whether the bling value is $20k is a question that only you can answer.
Do you really think people who spend $25,000 on a watch are worried whether their watch keeps time more accurately than a Casio?

baw703916

Post by baw703916 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Petrocelli wrote:Do you really think people who spend $25,000 on a watch are worried whether their watch keeps time more accurately than a Casio?
If I spend $25K on a watch, I expect it to be an atomic clock that fits on my wrist.

For the record, I have way more than $25K invested in IWC (the mutual fund). :)
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.

amphora

Post by amphora » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:48 pm

Not sure what response you were expecting posting this on the BH forum. :mrgreen:

I've got to say it seems kind of strange that someone who has only owned a Casio and an Apple watch would spring for a $20k watch. Generally watch aficionados work their way up from an entry level luxury watch to a really really expensive one.
Do you work at a watch store or on Wall Street?

Here's a satirical guide to high end watches I found amusing and strangely accurate:
http://www.businessinsider.com/a-wall-s ... hes-2015-8

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:54 pm

A good looking watch! If you can afford it, why not?

People disapproving are hypocrites. It is highly likely they are driving a car that is not the cheapest available, yet all cars get one from point a to b.

However, I have no input to the specifics of that (or any) watch brand.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:14 pm

That made me giggle. :P

Gleevec

Post by Gleevec » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:30 pm

knpstr wrote:A good looking watch! If you can afford it, why not?

People disapproving are hypocrites. It is highly likely they are driving a car that is not the cheapest available, yet all cars get one from point a to b.

Some of us view these purchases as matter of relativity, the watch here is ~300x the cost of what I imagine most of us wear ($50-100). An equivalent car at that cost differential (assuming most drive a $15k car, which based on the buy vs lease threads seems to be a reasonable guess), would be $4.5million. The majority of posters here probably drive cars that cost or are valued less than that watch.

At least a new car has more safety features and better mileage, not sure what the incremental benefit of a watch that expensive is.

That said, I wouldnt judge anyone for wanting a watch like that anymore than judging someone for getting a $20k stereo system or home theater, to each his own, but when people post a pic of a $15k watch on a site known for trying to reduce financial costs, they shouldnt act surprised when people advise against it, anymore than if you were to go to a watch aficionado forum they would scoff at our $50 Timex's

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:52 pm

Timoneer wrote:

Exactly + 1

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:09 pm

corn18 wrote: I don't know anything about fine watches. This one costs a lot. Retail is $24,200. Standard AD discounted price is $18,995. Grey market is $15,850. I found a nice pre-owned for $14,500 that I might be able to get for a bit less.

Questions:

2. Any thoughts on new from authorized dealer, new grey market (no factory warranty) or slightly used with balance of factory warranty.
1. Handsome watch, but for that kind of money I'd rather go for a Patek Calatrava, Lange 1815 or Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control. I think those companies have better resale value. I'm also a fan of Breguet, although I believe they tend to depreciate quicker. I recommend sticking with watches using in-house movements like Rolex (versus ETA and so forth)
2. I prefer pre-owned, since the markup for retail is quite high. But, YMMV. I also buy cars pre-owned. :mrgreen: Make sure you use a reputable dealer (e.g. Tourneau). Some retail jewelers like Bailey Banks and Biddle sell pre-owned luxury watches (I've seen several Kay and Zales jewelers selling pre-owned Rolexes but I think they recently stopped). I think it helps to know as much about the watch you are looking for as you can. This is easy to do with Rolex as there is a tremendous amount of info easily available online.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:29 pm

My watch hunting over the last 6 years has been all about looks and nothing about brand, cost or resale. I have stopped in every watch shop I could find in in the US and around the world. I never found one that I liked (except a Skagen, which I bought for $125 many years ago). My buddy had an IWC Portuguese 7 day that I spotted him wearing and it caught my eye. He showed it to me and I fell in love. It was beautiful to my eye. I had no idea what it cost. I had no idea if IWC was a good brand. I just loved the look. I finally found the watch at my local watch shop and fell in love all over again. Then I saw the price and that chased me away. That was a year ago. Now I am getting serious enough to determine if IWC is a good brand and how to buy it. Might be another year before I actually buy one. After 6 years of looking, I'm 90% certain I will buy one eventually. Well, 62% certain. Ok, 43%...

Corn

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:39 pm

StormShadow wrote: 1. Handsome watch, but for that kind of money I'd rather go for a Patek Calatrava, Lange 1815 or Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control. I think those companies have better resale value. I'm also a fan of Breguet, although I believe they tend to depreciate quicker. I recommend sticking with watches using in-house movements like Rolex (versus ETA and so forth)
2. I prefer pre-owned, since the markup for retail is quite high. But, YMMV. I also buy cars pre-owned. :mrgreen: Make sure you use a reputable dealer (e.g. Tourneau). Some retail jewelers like Bailey Banks and Biddle sell pre-owned luxury watches (I've seen several Kay and Zales jewelers selling pre-owned Rolexes but I think they recently stopped). I think it helps to know as much about the watch you are looking for as you can. This is easy to do with Rolex as there is a tremendous amount of info easily available online.
Ok, that Lange 1815 caught my eye. Just my style. Wish it were automatic.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:44 pm

corn18 wrote:Ok, that Lange 1815 caught my eye. Just my style. Wish it were automatic.
Its available as an automatic. :beer

stratton

Post by stratton » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:46 pm

Petrocelli wrote:Do you really think people who spend $25,000 on a watch are worried whether their watch keeps time more accurately than a Casio?
I like your Rolex better than the IWC watch. How well does it keep time considering you probably wear in court?

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:53 pm

StormShadow wrote:
corn18 wrote:Ok, that Lange 1815 caught my eye. Just my style. Wish it were automatic.
Its available as an automatic. :beer

You, sir, are an evil person (apologies if you're a ma'am). I have to go see one in person now. Wow. Just wow. I must have looked at hundreds if not thousands of different watches in person and online. Not one has even slightly interested me until you posted this one. I must find one. I just looked for AD's and there aren't many in the US. This might be hard to find. And it costs a LOT more: $30,600 retail, $22,940 grey market. Ouch.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:37 pm

stratton wrote:
I like your Rolex better than the IWC watch. How well does it keep time considering you probably wear in court?

Paul
I don't have to keep time to the minute. I just need to have a rough estimate, for example, of how long a witness has been on the stand.

It keeps time just fine for my purposes

ellsbebc

Post by ellsbebc » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:16 am

OP, I recommend you visit a popular forum for watch enthusiasts: watchuseek.com. Despite your best efforts, this will be hijacked into a discussion on is a luxury watch a smart purchase or other watches are more accurate for significantly less money. After all, this is Bogleheads, so it is to be expected.

I strongly encourage you to put the watch on your wrist before a purchase. You will want to consider the watch's purpose: office only, casual, everyday, etc. I am personally not a general fan for the look of rose gold, nor the premium price.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:20 am

ellsbebc wrote:OP, I recommend you visit a popular forum for watch enthusiasts: watchuseek.com. Despite your best efforts, this will be hijacked into a discussion on is a luxury watch a smart purchase or other watches are more accurate for significantly less money. After all, this is Bogleheads, so it is to be expected.

I strongly encourage you to put the watch on your wrist before a purchase. You will want to consider the watch's purpose: office only, casual, everyday, etc. I am personally not a general fan for the look of rose gold, nor the premium price.
I asked this question on watchuseek and they said no to rose gold as well. I like the SS version as well, so I might go that route. Of course, the watchuseek folks are saying that IWC is not a high end watch and are steering me towards higher quality.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:31 am

Only the people driving cars that cost $1-$10 million or more are hypocrites.

This watch costs 50 times as much as a decent $500 luxury watch, and 500 times more than this Timex (which really doesn't look any different to me).

It's one thing to buy a watch or a car that costs more than the cheapest available; it's another to buy one that costs 50 or even 500 times more than the cheapest available.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:38 am

What is luxurious about that watch? The price?

It is not impressive to me.

I don't care how beautiful a watch is, I would NEVER drop that kinda cash on a watch!

You seriously combed the world over and that is the best you could find?

I somehow imagine you would not like that watch as much if it were < $150.00

http://www.foreverwatches.cn/iwc-laureu ... 13044.html

I hope I have enough disposable income to purchase a watch like that, still wouldn't do it but to each their own.

I agree with the previous poster that this sight is probably not the best place to inquire about a "luxury" watch.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:52 am

A 50-100 dollar watch is already a luxury good. A 5-10 dollar electronic watch tells the time just as well if not better - so that would be an appropriate comparison. But that tells you that people already spend 10 times as much on a luxury watch and not consider it a luxury.
A car will last 5-20 years depending on who the driver is. A watch much longer.

But these are not the right comparisons. Do you like it compared to what else you might have spent your money on? Will you continue to enjoy it years hence? Or was the joy more in searching for the perfect watch?

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:57 am

StevieG72 wrote:What is luxurious about that watch? The price?

It is not impressive to me.

I don't care how beautiful a watch is, I would NEVER drop that kinda cash on a watch!

You seriously combed the world over and that is the best you could find?

I somehow imagine you would not like that watch as much if it were < $150.00

http://www.foreverwatches.cn/iwc-laureu ... 13044.html

I hope I have enough disposable income to purchase a watch like that, still wouldn't do it but to each their own.

I agree with the previous poster that this sight is probably not the best place to inquire about a "luxury" watch.
Thanks for the kind words. I looked for a watch that I liked. Could care less if anyone else likes it. And I already have several fake Rolexes and Breitlings I have acquired over the years. They fall apart after 1 month to a year. On the way, I did find three Skagen watches that I liked and bought them (~$100 each). Some of the expensive watches are downright ugly to me, but others love them. So I try not to judge other's choices based on looks. I will accept the judgement that this is not the best financial decision. No question about that.
qwertyjazz wrote:A 50-100 dollar watch is already a luxury good. A 5-10 dollar electronic watch tells the time just as well if not better - so that would be an appropriate comparison. But that tells you that people already spend 10 times as much on a luxury watch and not consider it a luxury.
A car will last 5-20 years depending on who the driver is. A watch much longer.

But these are not the right comparisons. Do you like it compared to what else you might have spent your money on? Will you continue to enjoy it years hence? Or was the joy more in searching for the perfect watch?
Well, I just sold my play car (1980 MGB), and that is my play money. I thought I might go ahead and buy a watch with the play money and see if I am a watch guy. If I get a used one at a decent price, I can enjoy the watch for a while and if it's not all that, sell it and get some of my money back.

pivoprussia

Post by pivoprussia » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:05 am

While I enjoy this forum, it is amazing how critical some can be about how other people spend money. Life is too short not to have some indulgences. :) -As long as it is not interfering with your overall plan...

Yes, it is a lot of money for a watch, no doubt. However, many of these high end watches hold their value and some even increase.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - so if you like it and can afford it - go for it. IWC is an excellent brand and what I appreciate is that you will likely never see anyone else with that exact watch.

I own a Chopard Sport Chrono One. (1 of 500 made) It's held its value ok but nothing like a Patek Phillipe or even Rolex (not a fan personally).

qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:14 am

A watch guy is an interesting phrase and brings up another problem. What if you like your new watch a lot? Check out any watch forum - that might lead to new watches in future and ongoing costs - to a lesser extent: my Starbucks expenditures 20 years ago was nothing and only cheap coffee - now that I know coffee can be better - Starbucks leads to additional purchases
Would I have been better not only financially but emotionally if Starbucks never existed? As there is always something better once you go down any path :)

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:17 am

That's a really great looking watch. I stopped wearing a watch about a year ago when the battery died in the Seiko I had been wearing. I'm not really into jewelry and realized that the time/date is everywhere, in particular on my cell phone. I do have a golf watch/GPS that I'll where once in a while when not golfing. Might get one of those Fitbit things so I can prove to my wife I really do walk a bit. Read that article - funny - I guess I fall into the don't wear a watch category - loved that Mark Cuban quote "When you control time, you don't need to know what time it is.". I think I'll use that.

SleepKing

Post by SleepKing » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:52 am

Corn18,
The watch you have selected is fantastic. IWC is a very reputable brand. Portugieser is a beautiful model. For that price it must be in house movement. Regarding grey market, explore this fully. Im sure you know many AD and retailers must make quotas and often sell to third party/grey market to accomplish this. i agree with others who recommend scouring the watch forums for detailed advice on this, as grey market can get shady. Overall, If it will bring you enjoyment and you have done your cost analysis.....Go for it!

Dont let the forum get you down. Yes, it is an expensive, extravagant purchase. But you know what, so is any non base model car, any vacation, any second home, any art work, etc. etc. I'm sure you worked, saved, and planned your butt off to put yourself in such a position. Good for you!

Dollarsign16

Post by Dollarsign16 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:41 am

Enjoying these replies and that article made me chuckle.

On the topic of watches, anyone familiar with Ernst Benz?

I ran across the brand a few years ago and a couple really caught my eye. It's no Rolex but a few thousand for a nice one. Any thoughts?

KH
Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don’t want..to impress people they don’t like. –Will Rogers

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:59 am

A few thoughts.

Given you have been shopping for a luxury watch for 6 years, it means you can easily live without it. However, OCD may be causing the same desire come up over and over.

You mention you can afford the watch, but then you try and save some money going with a used one. If affordability is any issue at all I would not get one. Personally, I don't care for buying a used watch.

Regarding IWC, I think it's a great company, but the watches are large and heavy.

Finally, I don't know what brands you have looked at, but there are tons of brands that make really fine watches with in house movements at < $5K.

In summary, these purchases cannot be justified by the head. Only you can decide what it means to you, so if you can afford it and have been craving it for any length of time, and you think it will make you happy, go for it. Just be 100% sure that you won't miss the money, because it is unlikely to result in any lasting happiness. Most likely, your next desire will take over. :D

Timoneer

Post by Timoneer » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:55 am

corn18 wrote: I looked for a watch that I liked. Could care less if anyone else likes it.
And yet in your first post you wrote:
corn18 wrote: My favorite watch is my Casio WaveCeptor that syncs with some nuclear clock signal and cost $69. I currently wear an Apple Watch so my coworkers stopped making fun of me.
You asked this forum if we thought that the IWC was a a good watch. Clearly as a functional timekeeper it is only mediocre. As simply jewelry, you have already decided that you like its look. It seems that what you really want to know from this forum is if the brand name will impress others.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:04 am

Ah, another watch thread! The Rolex Thread was shut down and I predict the same kind of fate here. Read it for the relentless tug of war between watch fans and Timex fans. Link:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=171000&hilit=rolex

That IWC doesn't appeal to me for purely cosmetic reasons, but if you like it go for it. The important items are covered:
- It's an automatic! :beer
- IWC is a major watch brand

If you're going quartz, no point in paying much (eg. most watches sold at the mall will be quartz and are $10 to $200.) I kept one quartz watch as a disposable beater.

I prefer Rolex, they have a long history, great quality, good resale value, huge variety of looks - even the dressy leather strap look.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:00 pm

corn18 wrote:You, sir, are an evil person (apologies if you're a ma'am). I have to go see one in person now. Wow. Just wow. I must have looked at hundreds if not thousands of different watches in person and online. Not one has even slightly interested me until you posted this one. I must find one. I just looked for AD's and there aren't many in the US. This might be hard to find. And it costs a LOT more: $30,600 retail, $22,940 grey market. Ouch.

They cost a pretty penny, yes.

But among the high end watches, Patek and Lange tend to hold their value when it comes to resale. A Patek or Lange chronograph (w/wo date/calendar function) is my grail watch. Pure class.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:18 pm

I, like you, didn't own a nice watch and recently started on the path to find one. I too looked at $10k+ watches. I ultimately settled on a Tag Heuer that cost me about $1,600. I'm quite happy with it. I've learned this... don't go from 0-60. Since you've never had a nice watch, start with a middling watch (that you love). People who think watches are just for telling time are correct in one sense. If that's all you need then you can buy a sub $100 watch. Watches in the range you're describing are men's jewelry. They are not to tell time (solely). IWC will also hold value - so if you buy them you won't end up with an asset that depreciates to 0. You will have some resale value. That said, you haven't owned one yet. Start with one that looks like the IWC and there are plenty. To start I recommend going to a blog called watchuseek where they have a forum like this one which can help. Very knowledgeable folk in the watch field who can help you find a watch in a more reasonable price range that you'll love.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:32 pm

I see a market for a $25,000 Casio that costs $25 to make and $24,975 of the sale price goes to charity. It would be limited edition and the watch face would clearly show that you were a charitable player.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:50 pm

qwertyjazz wrote:Pretty
IWC is a very legitimate company and you have chosen a classic
How much you want to spend is related to what brings you joy and how much joy per marginal dollar
Just make sure it is not a fake in the grey market
+1. The Portuguese is a classic that I once considered purchasing as well (got a JLC Reverso instead). Go for it.

(The A. Lange & Sohne Lange 1 will be my "I've made it" watch one day...)

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:38 pm

I love IWCs. My collection will likely be complete after an IWC Portofino, Omega Moonphase Speedmaster, and a Rolex. The Portuguese are gorgeous but well outside the range I've set for myself. If you can easily afford it, why not? Be careful about being sucked into the world of high end horology, though...

ellsbebc

Post by ellsbebc » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:09 pm

When you talk to the watch enthusiasts, they will criticize it for the lack of in-house movement. Some also prefer manual vs. automatic -- it's a morning ritual to wind my Omega speedy pro.

A watch like this is certainly a luxury. If you can afford such, I say by all means. Watches seem to attract much more scrutiny than vacations, vehicles, boats, etc. It's a niche market for those who appreciate watch history and engineering. A well maintained watchpiece can last forever -- a vehicle cannot do the same (unless we are in Cuba)

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:35 pm

Timoneer wrote:
corn18 wrote: I looked for a watch that I liked. Could care less if anyone else likes it.
And yet in your first post you wrote:
corn18 wrote: My favorite watch is my Casio WaveCeptor that syncs with some nuclear clock signal and cost $69. I currently wear an Apple Watch so my coworkers stopped making fun of me.
You asked this forum if we thought that the IWC was a a good watch. Clearly as a functional timekeeper it is only mediocre. As simply jewelry, you have already decided that you like its look. It seems that what you really want to know from this forum is if the brand name will impress others.
While I accept your premise, I reject your conclusion. I want to know if IWC is a reputable brand. From the feedback I have gotten in the last 24 hours, the 7 day perpetual motion is not as accurate as 48-72 hour perpetual motions. The IWC brand is average as far as holding its value. Don't really give a hoot if someone is impressed by it. The question is will I enjoy it? To that end, I would rather reduce the risk of financial loss in the event I do not enjoy it. Buy it new for $11k or used for $7k. If I get a used one for $7k, it is likely I can sell it for a much smaller loss than if I get a new one for $11k. If I love it, it's the same watch new or used.

This ain't my first rodeo with play things. I bought a 2007 BMW Z4M for $33k, drove it for 2 years and sold it for $32k. That was a lot of fun for $1k. Then I bought a 1980 MGB for $10,500, drove it for a year and just sold it for $9,900. That was a lot of fun, too. I spent a summer buying and selling garden tractors. Didn't make a dime, but I spent $14k buying them and got $14k out of them. That was fun. The premise, of course, is that I won't keep the watch. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. What concern is that to anyone but myself?

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:26 pm

Incendiary wrote:If you can easily afford it, why not?
I can easily afford a $20 Bud Light. On principle, I refuse to pay that much for one.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:29 pm

It's pretty but I don't like subdials so I wouldn't buy it, myself. Also, too expensive.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:30 pm

StormShadow wrote:
corn18 wrote:You, sir, are an evil person (apologies if you're a ma'am). I have to go see one in person now. Wow. Just wow. I must have looked at hundreds if not thousands of different watches in person and online. Not one has even slightly interested me until you posted this one. I must find one. I just looked for AD's and there aren't many in the US. This might be hard to find. And it costs a LOT more: $30,600 retail, $22,940 grey market. Ouch.

They cost a pretty penny, yes.

But among the high end watches, Patek and Lange tend to hold their value when it comes to resale. A Patek or Lange chronograph (w/wo date/calendar function) is my grail watch. Pure class.
+1 Patek and Lange are Excellent Watches
Dave

frugalecon

Post by frugalecon » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:45 pm

HomerJ wrote:

Only the people driving cars that cost $1-$10 million or more are hypocrites.

This watch costs 50 times as much as a decent $500 luxury watch, and 500 times more than this Timex (which really doesn't look any different to me).

It's one thing to buy a watch or a car that costs more than the cheapest available; it's another to buy one that costs 50 or even 500 times more than the cheapest available.
Thanks for posting that picture...I am tempted to buy that watch, for $38 on Amazon.

leod

Post by leod » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:53 pm

amphora wrote:Not sure what response you were expecting posting this on the BH forum. :mrgreen:

Here's a satirical guide to high end watches I found amusing and strangely accurate:
http://www.businessinsider.com/a-wall-s ... hes-2015-8
Im bookmarking this one haha

fpr4

Post by fpr4 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:20 pm

You gonna insure that watch? What kind of policy can you get on a timepiece of that value?

I just bought an orient bambino automatic for my 33rd birthday ($130). Don't think I'd ever want to put something costing more than $500 on my wrist. Of course, I'm just a lowly architect and am a little clumsy, to boot.

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:36 pm

I like the watch and I do like reading and researching a bit about watches in general, but was quite quite shocked by the price, b/c my research in that brand doesn't extend beyond a familiarity with the name.
I do not know anything about grey market but would feel uneasy buying something THAT costly and potentially not quite right if it is not from an authorized dealer. However, I can't speak to that at all, as I am also unfamiliar with that whole issue. That's just my personal impression. Overall, yes, I like it, but have to admit that my impulse when I saw the price was to say 'oh no, I'm sure there must be something very fine but for much less.'
You did say 'relevant or not' regarding comments, so ..... I just can't imagine even considering paying that much for something like that, no way. And the other hesitation even if you would do so is the used/alternative markets. But enjoy the search, it is all very interesting to study this art form. :happy

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:31 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Incendiary wrote:If you can easily afford it, why not?
I can easily afford a $20 Bud Light. On principle, I refuse to pay that much for one.
I thought I posted a reply to this earlier, but maybe I forgot to hit "submit."

I see your point, but I think it's a slightly different scenario. Paying $20 for Bud Light is silly b/c you can get Bud Light for $2. You're obviously overpaying. I don't drink much alcohol so I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate brand example, but if you're a WIS, the situation is more analogous to paying $150 for Veuve Clicquot instead of $2 for Bud Light.