High End Wrist Watches (Gone Crazy)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hmw

Re: High End Wrist Watches (Gone Crazy)

Post by hmw »

ionenergy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:09 am You guys are missing out. I have been an avid watch collector and the value of my watches have been increasing at least 5-10% per year. You just have to buy the right brand and model. You make more money in this than putting into funds. This is a good way to enjoy watches and still make money out of it.

To answer your question about IWC, the resale balue is terrible for this brand. Unless you buy a used one, then you might retain or just lose a bit if you decided to sell later. Only go with Rolex, Patek and AP sports watches.

Some example, i bought a patek sports watch at retail $30k. Since it is hard to get, it sells for close to 50k in the grey marker.
I also have a rolex daytona which i bought for 13k, it sells for 20k in the grey market
Just curious, do you wear your expensive watches on a daily basis? Some minor scratches on the bracelet/case seem to be inevitable, and I assume it will negatively affect the value of the watch.
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

hmw wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:51 pm Just curious, do you wear your expensive watches on a daily basis? Some minor scratches on the bracelet/case seem to be inevitable, and I assume it will negatively affect the value of the watch.
Minor scratche don't have a big impact on the value of those watches. What will kill the value is sending them off to get a service and the service folks polish the crap out of them. I'd rather have a watch with some minor scuffs and sharp edges than a perfectly shiny watch with rounded corners due to over polishing.

At the $30k level, you need to really know what you are doing. Drop $30k on a new A. Lange Sohne and you will take a 20% hit in value just walking out the door. Get a Rolex Daytona (ceramic) @ retail pricing ($13k) and you can resell it the next day for $16k. Same with that Patek 5711. A ridiculously beautiful watch that retails for $30k MSRP. They are stupid hard to find, but sell for $48k on the gray market.

I bought my A. Lange Sohne Lange 1 moon watch fro $24k (MSRP was $42k). I wore it for a few months and loved it but not $24k worth. I sold it for $24.5k.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

It's funny, but on the Watchuseek forums, I'm the guy telling people to slow down and be sure you aren't living beyond your means; on Bogleheads, I assume anybody with over 100 posts has saved plenty and wish him joy in his endeavors. To me, the whole point of saving is so that you can afford to indulge yourself safely - and it seems like the OP is doing just that.

I have to admit - I don't especially like any of the super high-end watches I've seen. It has nothing to do with the cost, and it's more my preference for simplicity and minimalism. The most expensive watch I would even consider owning someday is the Grand Seiko Snowflake ($5,800), but only if they make a smaller version of it - even though it's stunning, 41mm is just too big for my wrist. As it is, the only watches I currently have serious interest in right now are in the $500-$700 range - and not because I can't afford more, but because those just happen to be the ones I like.

Anyway, I love watches, and enjoy hearing from people who share the same hobby even if others think we're crazy. In an effort to bring us all together, let me just say that right now, in true Boglehead manner, I'm scouring the internet for a good deal on a pre-owned watch. There's something for everyone out there.
hmw

Post by hmw »

corn18 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:20 pm
hmw wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:51 pm Just curious, do you wear your expensive watches on a daily basis? Some minor scratches on the bracelet/case seem to be inevitable, and I assume it will negatively affect the value of the watch.
Minor scratche don't have a big impact on the value of those watches. What will kill the value is sending them off to get a service and the service folks polish the crap out of them. I'd rather have a watch with some minor scuffs and sharp edges than a perfectly shiny watch with rounded corners due to over polishing.

At the $30k level, you need to really know what you are doing. Drop $30k on a new A. Lange Sohne and you will take a 20% hit in value just walking out the door. Get a Rolex Daytona (ceramic) @ retail pricing ($13k) and you can resell it the next day for $16k. Same with that Patek 5711. A ridiculously beautiful watch that retails for $30k MSRP. They are stupid hard to find, but sell for $48k on the gray market.

I bought my A. Lange Sohne Lange 1 moon watch fro $24k (MSRP was $42k). I wore it for a few months and loved it but not $24k worth. I sold it for $24.5k.
I am not a serious watch collector but I do like watches. Most of my watches are under $500. I have a Rolex, a gift that probably is worth somewhere between 5k to 10k. I don’t wear it much because I am afraid I may scratch it. No such worries with my cheaper watches.
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

This is my latest pursuit:

It's a WWII Luftwaffe navigation watch. It's big @ 55mm so they could read it while flying. Great connection for me to my flying days.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.