Aetna Home Medical Assessment

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Hexdump

Aetna Home Medical Assessment

Post by Hexdump » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:16 pm

My wife just recently enrolled in a private medical insurance plan with Aetna and she had a strange call today.
Aetna wants to come to our house and do a health assessment of her for some reason and along with this they will give her a $100.00 Amazon gift card.
Has anyone experienced anything like this ?
The only reason that we can think of is that potentially Aetna might discontinue her coverage based upon something that they find.
Very curious.

Thanks for the advice.

deanbrew

Re: Aetna Home Medical Assessment

Post by deanbrew » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:43 pm

I don't think they will discontinue coverage, since pre-existing conditions and medical condition in general is not part of health insurance anymore - just age, gender, smoking and location. We signed up with Aetna this year and had the same invitation. I'm not exactly sure what it is, or what purpose it serves, as we haven't done it. But I am not worried about being kicked off the coverage. I'm curious if anyone has done it.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:48 pm

Just say no. Why would you volunteer so much information for so little compensation?

I once agreed to such an assessment (online) and had to answer lots of invasive questions. In addition, I had to deal with all the subsequent emails asking more invasive questions.

I guess you might be willingly to do so for $1 million?

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:57 pm

HueyLD wrote:Just say no. Why would you volunteer so much information for so little compensation?

I once agreed to such an assessment (online) and had to answer lots of invasive questions. In addition, I had to deal with all the subsequent emails asking more invasive questions.
This is pretty much my train of thought, as well, and why I didn't take the offer a couple of months ago.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

plannerman

Post by plannerman » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:01 am

It's my understanding that health insurance companies must spend something like 89% of their premium revenues on actual health care expenses or refund (through lower premiums) the excess amount. They would rather spend this excess on services than refund it. Thus this kind of offer.

I had a similar request (actually several) from United Health Care a couple of years ago. Since I have, and see on a regular basis, an Internist, Dermatologist, Urologist, Pulmonologist, and Podiatrist it seemed like a waste of my time. So I said no thank you. There were no adverse consequences except they continued to call and offer the home visit.

If someone does not routinely see medical providers, I think the offer might have some merit. If you have good medical care, not so much.

plannerman

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:09 am

I am enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan with United Healthcare:
- each year they offer to send a Nurse Practitioner to my home for an exam at no cost
- they just offered me a $15 gift card for scheduling my no cost annual physical with my doctor
- they just offered me a $25 gift card for ordering & completing a no cost home colon screening kit

This is prevenative maintenance .... if they can catch or solve a potential medical problem early, the long term costs are much less.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:09 am

Hexdump wrote:My wife just recently enrolled in a private medical insurance plan with Aetna and she had a strange call today.
Aetna wants to come to our house and do a health assessment of her for some reason and along with this they will give her a $100.00 Amazon gift card.
Has anyone experienced anything like this ?
The only reason that we can think of is that potentially Aetna might discontinue her coverage based upon something that they find.
Very curious.

Thanks for the advice.
I think this is the individual insurance equivalent of my Megacorp's $500 credit towards insurance premiums in exchange for getting an annual physical and sharing the results. Lots of chronic conditions like hypertension and diabetes go undetected in people "too healthy" to visit the doctor. The home visit is no doubt to counteract the inconvenience factor.

I used to have Aetna insurance and if they do turn up something they will likely try and an enroll her with a "healthy living" coach.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:16 pm

A friend of mine is enrolled in a Humana Medicare Advantage plan - and they offer something like this. It sounds like the insurance company does this to encourage folks to follow up on health risks - to be less likely to have serious situations like complications of Diabetes, Hypertension, etc.

In my opinion, as far as "invasive questions" - you CAN NOT be adequately treated by ANY health care provider if you do not disclose any and all relevant information concerning your health. In other words, you must tell your Physician the whole truth, get completely naked when he/she so requests, and have his/her (gloved) fingers and hands probe/examine you.

Actually, I WANT my Physicians to ask a LOT of potentially invasive questions!

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:52 pm

I fully disclose all my health information to my physicians and related health care providers.

However, insurance companies are not my health care providers.

northwoods1

Post by northwoods1 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:46 pm

There was quite a discussion of this issue with Aetna in our local newspaper some months ago. The answer to "why do they do this?" was that, if you are over 65, the insurance company is attempting to generate additional income by finding additional "needs" that they can bill Medicare for.
The general feeling was that if one already has a good relationship with ongoing local health care providers, participating in this is not useful.
Aetna called us several times trying to arrange one of these in-home appointments. We declined. There were no negative repercussions.