Reasonably Priced White & Rose Wines?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Reasonably Priced White & Rose Wines?

Post by Barefootgirl »

It's summer time.... :)

Strong preference for Rieslings & Gewurtztraminers (sp?) over Chardonnays...I like my white and rose wines to be crisp and semi-dry, mostly...love notes of minerals and fruits in general....

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Non7WoodUser

Re: Reasonably Priced White & Rose Wines?

Post by Non7WoodUser »

Bartles & Jaymes
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

Non7WoodUser wrote:Bartles & Jaymes
LOL

I highly recommend Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc. Light and fruity, not too sweet, and you can usually pick it up for $8-$10 (or $6-$7 if it's on sale!) Goes great with any fish dish, especially if it includes lemon or lime in the seasoning.

On that note, almost any New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc will meet your requests. Also see http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2010/07/t ... wines.html
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

I suppose "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder. But I think the NZ Sauvignons Blanc are excellent. Monkey Bay as referenced above, or Kim Crawford which is in the $14 range.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

Try some Vinho Verde, a great summer wine from Portugal. It's generally cheap ($10 or less) and has a bit of effervescence, but not as much as champagne. It's usually lighter on the alcohol content too.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Rose: find a good wine merchant, select 4-5 different bottles from Provence (should be ~$10 +/- depending on the state taxes). Chill them all, open them all at once and taste. If one suits you, return and buy more. There is a lot of variation. Some are very fruity, others austere. No way to pick one for someone else.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

For notes of fruits and minerals as you mention in a white check out Indaba Chenin Blanc (South Africa). At only $9-$10 per bottle with a rating of 88 - it is one of the best values you will find. I bought a case recently for a party at the recommendation of one of my local wine stores and everyone loved it (and they weren't just being nice - I could tell by how quickly it was disappearing).
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

Check with wine stores in your area. Many of them have regular monthly wine tastings, for free or a small charge.

Ralph
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Chateau St Michele Savignon Blanc.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

I will second or third the recommendation for New Zealand sauvignon blancs, such as Kim Crawford. But I have noticed mixed reviews from female friends/acquaintances. Many find it too tart.
RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey »

Barefootgirl wrote:It's summer time.... :)

Strong preference for Rieslings & Gewurtztraminers (sp?) over Chardonnays...I like my white and rose wines to be crisp and semi-dry, mostly...love notes of minerals and fruits in general....

Thanks
Kung Fu Girl Riesling. Should be anywhere between $10-15. Excellent well-rounded bottle of wine.
La Vieille Ferme Rose. Easy drinking, should be under $10.

Also, I disagree with others that you would like Sauvignon Blancs, including those from New Zealand. These tend to be sharp, citrus-driven whites, with good minerality but totally bone dry (read: absolutely nothing like Rieslings and Gewurts). They will lack the fruit you desire, and will likely be too dry for your tastes. From your post above--if you want something other than Riesling/Gewurt--I would steer towards Pinot Grigio, French rhone white blends, and possibly some unoaked Chardonnay.

You may like Vino Verde. It is an excellent summer wine, easy to drink, very cheap, and has a lower alcohol percentage. Just be aware that many are very, very, mild as far as flavor goes. So you won't get anywhere near the fruit that you would in a Riesling/Gewurt. Trader Joes usually has 1 or 2 bottles available and they shouldn't be more than $7, sometimes as low as $4-5.

As far as rose goes, generally speaking you can judge by color. The lighter the hue, the less fruity and more citrus-driven it will be. The deeper the hue, the more fruit and semi-dry it will be. Hold it up to the light and look through the bottle to judge. French roses tend to be drier and less fruity than domestic. :beer
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Wollersheim Winery Prairie Fume'

http://www.wollersheim.com/wines/PrairieFume
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

Not what you asked for, but this time of year we buy this Moscato by the case: http://www.lamorandina.com/en/moscato-d-asti-docg
t3chiman

Post by t3chiman »

Barefootgirl wrote:...I like my white and rose wines to be crisp and semi-dry
Can't beat Marcus James Australian Chardonnay. Nicely balanced, easy drinking. Find it for $3 a bottle at US liquor stores (Canadians pay a lot more).

Their malbec is quite drinkable, too.

HTH
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

Check out the Reverse Wine Snob:
http://www.reversewinesnob.com/
Here's an example of one of their lists:
http://www.reversewinesnob.com/best-whi ... er-20-2015
No shortage of ideas there.
gatorman