Any Porsche 911 owners here?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
NDND60

Re: Any Porsche 911 owners here?

Post by NDND60 »

Hawaiishrimp wrote:Any Porsche 911 owners here? In the long term, I am aiming to buy a 911S (all cash, no financing). This is assuming I have already saved a significant amount for retirement, IRA and 529 already. With that said, is it going to burn a hole for me maintenance-wise? I love Porsche and I want to fulfill my dream of owning one someday.
I owned a 1991 C2 from May 2000 to Nov 2002, when I traded it in for a Boxster S. There is a great publication called "Porsche Buyer's Guide" which is published by Excellence magazine and contains great info on all Porsches by model year. 911s all have their unique 'quirks' by model year and some model years had problems that were expensive to fix.... ie the car I bought had a distributor cap fix and I verified my car had the update. Excellence magazine is also a useful reference as is rennlist. I would also give some thought to the purpose of buying the car. It was by far the most fun car I've ever driven.

In my case, at 10 yrs old the car developed a very small oil leak... the car would leave a quarter-size oil spot on the garage floor which was no big deal, the problem was the oil smell in the car once the engine got hot was so bad that my wife wouldn't ride in it anymore. The problem was a gasket but the engine needed to be removed to repair the leak, and it would have cost about $4000. Sold it, got a Boxster S - which was almost as much to drive, actually more fun since my wife would ride in it. If I recall correctly the car took about 10 quarts of oil and oil changes were close to $200, but that's all I had to do to the car annually. Sold this once my children started driving and needed cars. Looking forward to the empty nest soon (2 of 3 are out), a move south, and sports-car ownership once again, hopefully within the next 2 yrs.
tphp99

Post by tphp99 »

Hawaiishrimp wrote: I love Porsche and I want to fulfill my dream of owning one someday.
Porsche 911 was my dream car until I drove/leased the 991 C4S for two years. It was a great car but not that great. I will not be getting another 911.

Food for thought... there is no doubt the 911 is a dream car. But I feel it has lost its way by trying too hard: daily driver, track toy, luxurious, status ($$$), and EPA friendly (turbos on the carreras).

Instead, consider the F-type or the upcoming Lotus Evora 400. The Exige and the S2000 were my two favorite cars to drive/own. They were both focused, no nonsense, no excuse sports cars.

Good luck and enjoy your eventual 911 ownership. They are no doubt top self sports cars.
bwthomp

Post by bwthomp »

Had a Porsche 911 S that I just recently sold. The car was fantastic to drive. But when I added up all the extra costs (more insurance, regular maintenance costs that were multiple times more than a normal vehicle, oil change 200+, front brake pads and rotors 1500+, tires 300-400 each) it just didn't make sense, and I make plenty of money. I just decided I wanted the money to go elsewhere.

TLDR - You really need EVEN more money than you think you do just so you wont care how much is disappearing.

On the up side, they tend to be reliable. So unexpected repairs aren't common, but regular maintenance is still $$$. And it is a blast to drive.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Angrypuppy wrote:i wouldn't admit it here, reference the Rolex thread.

If you're driving anything more expensive than a Honda Civic you are frivolous and wasteful.
Why would you waste money on a Honda Civic?
PandaBear

Post by PandaBear »

whodidntante wrote:
Angrypuppy wrote:i wouldn't admit it here, reference the Rolex thread.

If you're driving anything more expensive than a Honda Civic you are frivolous and wasteful.
Why would you waste money on a Honda Civic?
The Civic is the Model T of today.

That said, I don't own one. :P
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

tphp99 wrote:The Exige and the S2000 were my two favorite cars to drive/own. They were both focused, no nonsense, no excuse sports cars.
We love our 981 but I do miss the S2000.
spitty

Post by spitty »

I drive a 2015 911tt bought new a year ago. All shopping done on the internet and I ended up buying from a dealer 500 miles away at 8% off MSRP. And of course most of the fun was a one-way flight then driving home! Just did the first oil change myself for about $75 (8 qts Mobil 1) since the nearest dealer is 75 miles away and cost is way too much. It was a very easy job. Actually the required maintenance isn't that bad and most can be done at home (ie. cabin & engine filters). Brake bleeding every two years and spark plugs at 40000 miles will be the tough ones. I also had a new 2007 911tt and sold it last year for 50% buy price after 8 years. It was a bullet proof daily driver with 65000 miles. First oil change in that series (997) was 20000 miles but it required a 1/2 quart top off every few months--quite the little oil burner, but normal according to the dealer. Spark plug change on that car was $1100 (ouch!), but never needed new brake pads or rotors. I only tracked it once. The new one (991) hasn't burned one drop of oil so they've obviously made some changes; but oil change is required every 10k or yearly. The 991 is definitely a bigger car but is a more comfortable DD and still has excellent handling. PDK is superb so I really don't miss the 991 6-speed manual. I test drove a Cayman and it's smaller and more nimble but a somewhat rougher ride with more road noise. And yes, the price of these thing is ridiculous! I think they average more than 20% profit/car sold. On the factory tour in Germany a few years ago they told us China will soon be the #1 Pcar market.
rad doc

Post by rad doc »

I am a MAJOR car guy and have wanted a 911 since I was a kid, as have many. I cant tell you how much time I have spent on rennlist reading, researching, drooling. So, here is a scenario for you guys. I am probably what you would categorize as high income, low net worth!! Sounds negative, but I am under 40 and early in my career. I would love to get a 911 though it would have to come on credit. It is very tempting given low interest rates. Now, before everyone starts screaming your crazy a little background. Mortgage is only debt (and less than income), max 401k annually (52k with current value in mid 6 figures), max Roth IRAx2, max HSA, additional 50-75k annual to taxable acct, 20k annual for 1 kids college, 6 monthly expenses in savings. First reliable daily driver is paid off. Plenty of left over monthly income to make payments, say 1k or so. Would buy used to minimize depreciation and perhaps CPO.

What say you? Crazy? Or YOLO? I came close to a 997 GT2 about 3 years ago. Should have purchased as they have skyrocketed in value!!
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

As with a home, if you assume a % of new value each year it will give you a sense of the impacts of maintenance costs. Most expensive car means more expensive repairs/maintenance/insurance etc.

Have had two Porsches in the past- 914/6 and a 911. Both were great cars. One got stolen (I got it back) and wrecked by my brother then other sold for about what I paid for it. A rear wheel drive car with a lot of power requires a certain set of driving skills that someone who drives a FWD sedan will not have.

Older 911s can be had in an upper-middle class price range. One can study the internet to learn how to buy one that will hold value and have more predictable maintenance costs.

Would consider having another Porsche someday but my interests are different now. I own a Leaf and dream of a Tesla :-)
Drove a new Tesla X the other day and it would blow the doors off of a 911 at least at the start while burning photons and requiring minimal maintenance. If you like gull wing doors check it out.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
rad doc

Post by rad doc »

Well, the Model X is slower to 60 than all but the base Carrera so no it would not "blow the doors off of a 911". The Model S Ludicrous is a different story but even than would get killed in real performance testing not just a drag race. The performance of the two vehicles is really incomparable. In the small suv category I would much prefer the Macan turbo. For me, Model X has a face only a mother could love! And the no maintenance comment, well wait till you need batteries. And still needs brakes. How about calling it deferred maintenance! For gullwing doors, it has to be the AMG SLS!! Fun stuff!!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

rad doc wrote:Well, the Model X is slower to 60 than all but the base Carrera so no it would not "blow the doors off of a 911". The Model S Ludicrous is a different story but even than would get killed in real performance testing not just a drag race. The performance of the two vehicles is really incomparable. In the small suv category I would much prefer the Macan turbo. For me, Model X has a face only a mother could love! And the no maintenance comment, well wait till you need batteries. And still needs brakes. How about calling it deferred maintenance! For gullwing doors, it has to be the AMG SLS!! Fun stuff!!
I was mostly kidding to mention it in a Porsche thread, in that not only the frugal BH but also the Luddites object to Tesla.

But, I must correct you on brake maintenance: my car has Brembos brakes for emergencies and also to keep me from rolling downhill at a stoplight, but in everyday use, I brake using regenerative braking and don't touch the friction brakes. I expect them to last well into 6 digit miles before requiring maintenance. I don't know anyone, even Roadster owners, who has had to pay for batteries, nor suffered significant degradation. The warranty on drivetrain is 8 years, infinite mileage.

Fwiw, 0-60 of 3.2 seconds for a 5800 pound car is pretty cool, especially one that can tow 5000 pounds; acceleration will suffer if towing :twisted:

All that aside, the 911 is a great car, and I like them. Carry on.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea »

Long time Porsche owner here. I have nothing more to add to this thread except "Do it already!".

Life is short, go live your dreams.
CFIT

Post by CFIT »

I bought a '95 911 Carrera cabriolet used in 2003. This is a 993 model -the last of the oil cooled 911s. I used it as by mainly daily driver for work and also autocrossed it with the local Porsche club ( https://www.pca.org/ ) for several years. If I could make one suggestion for Porsche owners it would be to try autocrossing! Not wheel-to-wheel racing, but a timed run through a course of traffic cones, autocrossing lets you experience your Porsche under near racing conditions. Once you feel the car at the edges of its limits, when warm tires are sliding happily through corners and you feel the forces of acceleration, cornering and braking that these cars were made for you come to a full appreciation of what they are about. On the downside, it makes hotrodding on the street seem both tame and risky.

I retired a little over two years ago and sometimes wonder why my wife and I have three cars ( a BMW Z3 for her, and 4Runner for our dogs, and my Porsche). It would make sense to sell the Porsche but every time I drive to Petco or Costco or an appointment I realize that the 993 is something that could never be replaced in terms of performance and character.
rad doc

Post by rad doc »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
rad doc wrote:Well, the Model X is slower to 60 than all but the base Carrera so no it would not "blow the doors off of a 911". The Model S Ludicrous is a different story but even than would get killed in real performance testing not just a drag race. The performance of the two vehicles is really incomparable. In the small suv category I would much prefer the Macan turbo. For me, Model X has a face only a mother could love! And the no maintenance comment, well wait till you need batteries. And still needs brakes. How about calling it deferred maintenance! For gullwing doors, it has to be the AMG SLS!! Fun stuff!!
I was mostly kidding to mention it in a Porsche thread, in that not only the frugal BH but also the Luddites object to Tesla.

But, I must correct you on brake maintenance: my car has Brembos brakes for emergencies and also to keep me from rolling downhill at a stoplight, but in everyday use, I brake using regenerative braking and don't touch the friction brakes. I expect them to last well into 6 digit miles before requiring maintenance. I don't know anyone, even Roadster owners, who has had to pay for batteries, nor suffered significant degradation. The warranty on drivetrain is 8 years, infinite mileage.

Fwiw, 0-60 of 3.2 seconds for a 5800 pound car is pretty cool, especially one that can tow 5000 pounds; acceleration will suffer if towing :twisted:

All that aside, the 911 is a great car, and I like them. Carry on.
Good point on the regenerative braking. I still say it is deferred maintenance unless there is some form of magical battery technology I am unaware of. 8 year warranty on the battery and the replacement isn't cheap. So you take a hit down the road or on resell. And I stand by my comment on looks. Thing is hideous! Different strokes!! Image
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Looks are a matter of opinion, but two points:
1. I am glad that Tesla was the first to get away from the fake grill for a car that doesn't have a radiator
2. I sit on the inside :twisted:
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Hawaiishrimp wrote:Any Porsche 911 owners here? In the long term, I am aiming to buy a 911S (all cash, no financing). This is assuming I have already saved a significant amount for retirement, IRA and 529 already. With that said, is it going to burn a hole for me maintenance-wise? I love Porsche and I want to fulfill my dream of owning one someday.
You need to define what burning a hole is to you.:) Is it more expensive than the civic? You bet. Ignore depreciation and the like you are do end up buying tires that are like 2-3x more expensives (you tend to get 19 or 20"s with high speed ratings) and have to replace them 2x as often. You will pay more for oil changes and brake replacement. And so on. Are those costs anything like buying the a super car? Nope. The 911 is the type of car you can daily drive and then have fun on the track. Most super cars are painful to drive on the roads (they have gotten better but things like a Lexus LS is still a lot more comfortable for commuting unless you have the funnest commute road every. Like if you work at some telescope at the top of a winding mountain road)

Is it worth it? Depends on who you are and what you like. It is a pretty cheap purchase if it makes you happy for 10 years. It is pretty expensive if you regret it after 6 months.
William4u

Post by William4u »

daveydoo wrote:
Angrypuppy wrote: i wouldn't admit it here, reference the Rolex thread.
+1

Even though I'm not in the market and likely never will be, I would love to hear what some smart, cost-conscious Porsche drivers think but I agree you won't find it here. I like this forum and have gotten some terrific financial advice. And based upon the assets many folks report, I know there are a lot of readers driving a lot of nice cars. But all the noise comes from the Honda and Toyota drivers with 200K miles who think everything else is just marketing and anyone who drives a "German car" is a clueless fool. Oh, and no watch (NO watch!) is better than my Timex. An "expensive" watch here means one that's covered with diamonds, not an invisible IWC. There's a strong bias here that expensive consumer items exist solely for conspicuous consumption. I know there's a lot marketing behind a lot of luxury goods (diamonds being the worst, imo), but I didn't "get" nice cars until I really drove one (off-lease, of course -- it is BH).

You care enough to do your homework -- that's a good start!
I'm not exactly a boglehead as described above, but I'm pretty close! I'm a car guy, but my wife would kill me if I spent 50k extra on a fun, luxury car. She would rather spend it spending kids to private school, camps, etc. :?
Nebster

Post by Nebster »

Barring some weird flaw like the IMS issue, modern 911s are pretty darn reliable. You might spend more on tires than maintenance, depending on how you drive.

I had a 991 turbo for a couple years; flawless. Not sure I would want to face the music on any issues with it ten years in, though. I paid about 20% in depreciation, which seemed fair to me.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

rad doc wrote:I am a MAJOR car guy and have wanted a 911 since I was a kid, as have many. I cant tell you how much time I have spent on rennlist reading, researching, drooling. So, here is a scenario for you guys. I am probably what you would categorize as high income, low net worth!! Sounds negative, but I am under 40 and early in my career. I would love to get a 911 though it would have to come on credit. It is very tempting given low interest rates. Now, before everyone starts screaming your crazy a little background. Mortgage is only debt (and less than income), max 401k annually (52k with current value in mid 6 figures), max Roth IRAx2, max HSA, additional 50-75k annual to taxable acct, 20k annual for 1 kids college, 6 monthly expenses in savings. First reliable daily driver is paid off. Plenty of left over monthly income to make payments, say 1k or so. Would buy used to minimize depreciation and perhaps CPO.

What say you? Crazy? Or YOLO? I came close to a 997 GT2 about 3 years ago. Should have purchased as they have skyrocketed in value!!
I am one of those MAJOR car guy as well, especially Porsches. I bought my 911 about 13 years ago, still has it and I am sooo glad I did it. I wasn't even as responsible as you were. But, at least waited till we bought our house :)....However, I knew I had great future earning potential as well. It was much better to own a 911 in my early 30's than wait till retirement. I will do it again, even my wife says she's glad I ended up getting it then. Do it!
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

gilgamesh wrote:I am one of those MAJOR car guy as well, especially Porsches. I bought my 911 about 13 years ago, still has it and I am sooo glad I did it. I wasn't even as responsible as you were. But, at least waited till we bought our house :)....However, I knew I had great future earning potential as well. It was much better to own a 911 in my early 30's than wait till retirement. I will do it again, even my wife says she's glad I ended up getting it then. Do it!
these are pretty much the exact 4 reasons I will get a Porsche sooner vs later, kudos to gilgamesh -
-major car guy
-can afford it with great current/future earning potential
-rather enjoy now vs wait 30 yrs; or both
-wife is on board, she can drive stick and is mad she missed out on my last S2000 ownership, would be excited to drive roadster on weekends. wife buy-in is crucial!
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 »

I own a 2006 911S, the best strategy is buy one a couple years old with low miles, use as a week end car, no need to waste miles running errands or taking it to work everyday.
They not only bring you prestige but they are fun to drive. If you keep the mileage to 3 to 5k a year maintenance should be minimal. I have own my 911S for 8 years and spent $5233.00 dollars, I average 3 k miles a year. Researching an honest independent shop for oil changes etc can keep costs down
Good Luck
SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA »

I've always wanted a 90's aircooled 911. I love the sound of them and the looks, but I'm a "boat guy" and I can't afford another splurge hobby.

People here will not understand why you wouldn't just opt for a Honda accord and save the difference. If you can afford it and have met savings goals, go for it. You only get so many trips around the sun, might as well enjoy them if you can.
2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Porsche and most other higher end sports cars are a GREAT buy after they have depreciated 50%+

If you shop around for a nice deal you are minimizing future downside. Currently I really like the 996 generation, can be had at a steep discount and cheap to maintain.

A few years from now you can find 2011+ Cayman S for ~$25-30k with super low miles.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Some of the Porsche owners might snicker at you but Boxter with manual transmission is nice fun car. If you have a good mechanic nearby or if you are handy enough they can be maintained at reasonable cost. There are some Achilles hill (aka IMS bearing) but if you do the preventive maintenance (NOT CHEAP!), you could have great experience under $20K total.
Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 »

Snapper wrote:Had one for a few years. Nothing drives like one, short of a go cart. Amazing fun. Main problem I found is reselling when you want to move on. Buyers of used 911's tend to want a great deal of documentation, so make sure you are meticulous about service and keeping records. They are very durable but repairs can be costly, as a lot of gear is packed into a small car. You do not buy them because they are economical. You do it because they are an amazing machine. Just thinking about it makes me want it back! Best weekend getaway car ever.
My 1993 911 sold very quickly, the depreciation was minimal now the air cooled 911s are going for up to 100k
You don't necessarily have to take it to a dealer for minor maintenance like an oil change or battery, there a independent shops run by former Porsche dealer mechanics,
The dealer will tell you if your worried about the price don't bother to bring it in
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Unless you are planning to take to the track, don't understand how it is going to be fun. As Jay Leno said, with laws we have the only fun you can have in a car is between 40 and 80 mph. A more under powered car can be more fun in those ranges.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Please watch the following:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWPHKU1XZU

If you can relate .................You will know what to do.

20+ years of 911's, maintenance reasonable (my experience nothing more than oil changes and of course tires)
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

I've owned a 1996 911 C4S (993) since 2004, air cooled, a beautiful work of art. Current mileage is a little under 40k, and I only drive it about 1200 miles a year. Maintenance costs:
- about $220 for oil change, every 1.5 yrs for me.
- $400 to fix odometer.
- a few hundred dollars to fix something here and there, expect it to cost a couple to a few hundred bucks minimum to fix anything
- private shop rate about $110/hr, I do not take it to the dealer
- insurance thru a collector car insurance company, about $650/yr, full coverage with agreed on value.
- tires run from about $1000 to $2000. Fronts where out way before the rears, so you can probably replace rears twice before replacing fronts.

Overall have had very little maintenance done (knock on wood), probably due to low mileage driven each year. My suggestion would be to buy what you want and can afford, don't skimp on the model, if you want an "S" or "4S" or turbo, just get it. It took me a long time to pull the trigger, nut I went to speak with a friend of a friend who owned a few Porsches and he said, "I wished I bought it at your age instead of when I turned old an grey". It stuck with me and I found the car I wanted and bought it a few months after that. So get it before you turn old and grey ... not that there is anything wrong with that.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

southbay wrote:
Cherokee8215 wrote:Yeah you should ask on a Porsche forum instead, the "Why not just but a Corolla?" crowd is finishing breakfast and will be here shortly.
haha. a used Porsche can cost less to own per month than a brand new Toyota.
It's true, mine is sitting in my backyard, and hasn't cost me a dime. Haven't driven it in 13 years.
Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

I don't have one but 911 aficionados might find this interesting - nice picture in the Japan Times which shows Koichi Kimura and his wife sit overlooking Koichi's Porsche 911 in the dining room of their house in Higashiosaka. The building was designed so that the car could be viewed from all rooms in the house.
Link - http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/0 ... 8Lx-U0rKVM
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.
Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 »

Ricola wrote:Unless you are planning to take to the track, don't understand how it is going to be fun. As Jay Leno said, with laws we have the only fun you can have in a car is between 40 and 80 mph. A more under powered car can be more fun in those ranges.
You can use it to pick up women, that can be fun
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Ricola wrote:Unless you are planning to take to the track, don't understand how it is going to be fun. As Jay Leno said, with laws we have the only fun you can have in a car is between 40 and 80 mph. A more under powered car can be more fun in those ranges.
Tre track is a lot of fun but it's far from the only option out there. There are plenty of twisty roads that are a blast to drive well under the range you mentioned. It's not just about going fast.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

takeshi wrote:
Tre track is a lot of fun but it's far from the only option out there. There are plenty of twisty roads that are a blast to drive well under the range you mentioned. It's not just about going fast.
Wouldn't they be just as fun in something with 1/4 the power and 1/4 the cost, like a miata? Took me about 5yrs to figure this out with motorcycles, they simply are no fun driving at legal speeds on public roads. Even on very twisty mountain roads ala Angeles Crest or Glendora Mountain Road, you have to be going 2x the legal limit to be pushing it at all - IMO it was more fun on a Ninja 250 or super motard bike with <1/5 the power of my modified CBR 1000rr. Instead of getting a 250, I just relegated my motorcycle riding to occasional track days.
dizzle

Post by dizzle »

Another major gearhead here. No 911 yet but have wanted one since the 993 days. Its the only car I would ever give up the M3 for. Hoping to get into a GT3 when the new 991.2 models come out. Or even a GT4 in a few years. since I do track my cars. Hats off to all past and current owners :)
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

The 991.2 refresh has lots of low end torque for fun at only slightly insane speeds. For this reason the base C2 can be considered more practical than the more powerful C2S and costs $12000 less.

Alternatively, the Macan turbo affords the practicality of a small SUV with astounding handling - not 911, but very very good. Also, another $10,000 cheaper than the C2.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

gunn_show wrote:wife buy-in is crucial!
Sooooooo Important!

I had a BMW 330 Convertible that I bought new in 2001. I was always tossing the idea of putting a supercharger in it. When the warranty expired at 50K, my girlfreind at the time said, just do it if it makes you happy.

Well I did it, and my girlfriend is now my wife :)

That little gesture sealed the deal for me. She gave me the green light on a Ferrari 360 after I sold the 330 but the frugal side of me said this. How much more pleasure would I get out of a car that is 4x the cost of what I just sold? I realized quickly it wasn't 4x so I put a putting green in the garage in it's place. Saved me $80K ;)

Just do it if you want :)

Here's my old garage queen for you car guys:

http://thetechhouse.myqnapcloud.com/~fm ... ot0003.jpg
http://thetechhouse.myqnapcloud.com/~fm ... 001abc.jpg
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

I bought a 991S with full TechArt kit a few months ago and couldn't be happier with it. Got a really, really good deal (under $60k) on a very loaded car that will allow me to drive it for a few years and sell it for close to what I paid for it, maybe more if the market decides that N/A engines are preferable to the new 991.2 turbo engines. I was lucky and bought from a seller that has 7 other Porsches and was selling his daily driver to get a new turbo and a GT3, so he just wanted to get rid of the car for some cash flow. The Porsche used card market for 911's is pretty interesting - just look at the value of air-cooled Porsches that have skyrocketed over the past 10 years! Or the market for GT3's and GT3RS staying incredibly hot.

IMO it is the best combination of luxury, power, handling, and sound (with exhaust upgrade) out there without getting into an exotic car. I came from an E92 M3 which was also an incredible all-around daily driving car and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of those in the future too, loved that thing. Couple pics of my baby:

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

^^^^ that thing is sick dude!!!!! congrats. the exact color combo I want...

I assume you're a Rennlister? Did you buy it from a member off the site?
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

gunn_show wrote:^^^^ that thing is sick dude!!!!! congrats. the exact color combo I want...

I assume you're a Rennlister? Did you buy it from a member off the site?
Thanks, it is a pretty badass ride, feels special every time I step into it. I am a Rennlister but didn't buy it off the site, don't think a RL poster would sell it anywhere near the price I bought it for =)

The "Hot for Sale" thread in the 991 section is great if you're looking to buy. Even if you don't find a car there, you can get a really good idea of what constitutes a nice deal. I was lucky and found an incredibly optioned ($145k sticker) 2014 991S at Carmax with only 9k miles on it that was way underpriced ($76k), so I bought it and then sold it for a nice profit before buying this one as a replacement.

AWE Switchpath exhaust highly recommended if you get a 991S :D
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Oh boy, here we go again. I wish only 911 owners would chime in as requested instead of the "a Honda or Toyota" is better, "are you looking at a real 911", "you can't be a Boglehead and own a 911", "kind of like a Rolex", "Tesla this, Cayman that, GT4", "the rear engine ruins the back seat", blah, blah, blah crowds!!!

Here's the deal; you can be responsible, can be a Boglehead, and can be a Porsche 911 owner all at the same time! How do I know? Well, I'm all those things and a 911 owner for 8 years at the same time. Porsche 911s are expensive new, expensive used, and can be expensive to maintain. Know that going in and don't spend any time asking for permission, justifying the purchase as an investment, or calling it some kind of "mid life crisis". If you've always wanted one and have been responsible with your money go find one. Porsche 911s are arguably the best overall sports car ever built for the money especially well maintained used ones.

Never buy new, never lease, never finance, never buy wrecked, never buy from an auction, never buy a neglected car, and buy from a private seller if possible, and don't buy one that is way under market value. Buy the newest 4-5 year old model you can afford if you're not comfortable with a car that is 8-10 years old or older, do your research on said model regardless of the year, and have an inspection done by a qualified mechanic if you're not capable of doing one. This is of course after you've driven 4-5 and are sure it's what you want. Good luck. BTW; I also own a Toyota.........
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

260chrisb wrote:Oh boy, here we go again. I wish only 911 owners would chime in as requested instead of the "a Honda or Toyota" is better, "are you looking at a real 911", "you can't be a Boglehead and own a 911", "kind of like a Rolex", "Tesla this, Cayman that, GT4", "the rear engine ruins the back seat", blah, blah, blah crowds!!!
Other than "concern trolling" by those who think this thread will be mostly about that, how much of that Honda/Toyota stuff is there? Why are you picking a fight you say shouldn't be happening when the fight in fact is not happening? I could see it if most of the thread were people scolding you for your choices, but read the posts. Really, is that how the thread seems to you?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

I see absolutely no contradictions with being a Porsche 911 owner and being a Boglehead. While I would never buy a Porsche myself (it's just not my thing), my wife has German cars on her hopes and dreams list.

We won't achieve our savings goals by having high expenses during our accumulation years, but our target number allows us to include luxuries like nice trips and nice cars. I've also allowed some luxury spending on the way (puts our goal further away, but allows us to enjoy things while we're young.)

FI is about freedom to make choices and support a desired lifestyle. If your lifestyle includes Porsches, more power to you.

My preference is Hondas, although I might like to take a shot at a Tesla in 5-10 years. Or my wife might end up with her German car. Time will tell.
CJC000

Post by CJC000 »

Whenever my colleagues and I were together and we saw a 911 someone always told the joke about the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche. We’d all laugh but truth be told, all of us would have given our eye teeth for one.

Have to admit that the optics of ownership can be bad depending on where you live and what you do. If you’re in the city, OK. Rural Kansas, maybe not. If you’re a FA, don’t let your clients see it!
Easman61

Post by Easman61 »

I am a certified "car guy" and make no apologies for it. One of my three hobby cars is a 1989 911 Targa - in Baltic Blue and it is a possession that gives me great joy. My cars have given me great fodder for amazing friendships with other "car guys". Those friendships don't throw any numbers on the net worth statement - but I wouldn't trade them for millions of dollars. I'm currently up close and personal to my mom who is in her final days. Life is so short and I am so thankful for my family and for my friends and certainly my "car friends"who I would have never met otherwise. I feel incredibly blessed
to be in a position that I can comfortably afford my cars. If the air cooled 911 continues to escalate the way it has in the past that will be a nice bonus - but at the end of the day it is totally irrelevant. My wife and I find great satisfaction in cruising through the hills of NW Arkansas together in pursuit of beauty or just heading to one of our favorite restaurants in Eureka Springs.
absolutFinance

Post by absolutFinance »

i've been in the market for a new car for a while now. i've taken a few sedans out for a test drive (a7, s550, 750i, panamera). i always thought i wanted to get a nice big sedan (2 kids). but now i'm rethinking things and considering the new 911 since my wife has an SUV and we do all our weekend trips in her car. planning for a test drive this week to check it out. if i got a 911, i'd probably get the 4 or 4s given the climate i live in. seems like options really drive the price up.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

absolutFinance wrote:i've been in the market for a new car for a while now. i've taken a few sedans out for a test drive (a7, s550, 750i, panamera). i always thought i wanted to get a nice big sedan (2 kids). but now i'm rethinking things and considering the new 911 since my wife has an SUV and we do all our weekend trips in her car. planning for a test drive this week to check it out. if i got a 911, i'd probably get the 4 or 4s given the climate i live in. seems like options really drive the price up.
Options easily increase the cost of a 911 30% or more.

One method is to use the configurator to make the car as desirable as reasonable from your perspective, then prioritize to get the price down to something you'd actually pay. Figure an 8% discount from MSRP. Keep in mind that all options are essentially worthless once the car is registered, so consider higher end models if some of the options you are considering in a baser model come standard.

Expensive options that I got that I never use include ACC, sports chrono, seat ventilation / heating, Bose and the others that I got that I don't even remember what they are. The only must haves IMHO are surround parking assist and lane change assist. Oh, and PDK.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
absolutFinance

Post by absolutFinance »

Cyclesafe wrote:
absolutFinance wrote:i've been in the market for a new car for a while now. i've taken a few sedans out for a test drive (a7, s550, 750i, panamera). i always thought i wanted to get a nice big sedan (2 kids). but now i'm rethinking things and considering the new 911 since my wife has an SUV and we do all our weekend trips in her car. planning for a test drive this week to check it out. if i got a 911, i'd probably get the 4 or 4s given the climate i live in. seems like options really drive the price up.
Options easily increase the cost of a 911 30% or more.

One method is to use the configurator to make the car as desirable as reasonable from your perspective, then prioritize to get the price down to something you'd actually pay. Figure an 8% discount from MSRP. Keep in mind that all options are essentially worthless once the car is registered, so consider higher end models if some of the options you are considering in a baser model come standard.

Expensive options that I got that I never use include ACC, sports chrono, seat ventilation / heating, Bose and the others that I got that I don't even remember what they are. The only must haves IMHO are surround parking assist and lane change assist. Oh, and PDK.
thanks for the tips. I'm hoping to get that 8% off MSRP - seems like people have a hard time getting a decent price on the 911 based on rennlist but I'm kind of a hard ass during negotiations.

does the 911 have surround parking assist? I haven't seen that as an option even though I've been looking for it. I'll use the seat ventilation (I currently do in my wife's car). the rest I can do without. I think what I initially configured came in around 15% over base.

EDIT: found it: http://www.porsche.com/international/mo ... assistant/

thanks!
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

I am waiting for the 997.2 Turbo PDK Cab (Porsche lingo for really fast flappy paddle convertible) to hit the bottom of the depreciation curve. 2010 was the first year for that model. I am guessing about 2018-19 will be about right. This way I can keep my Boglehead credentials and my car guy credentials.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Cayman S owner here. Maintenance can be controlled if you DIY but you can also get "decent" deals from the dealerships from time to time. Just for ballpark, oil changes on my car run 275-350 depending on dealer per year. The scheduled service at 10k isnt horrible but the 30k is pricey. Since you're already on Rennlist, you'll get more focused advice there than here. Another good site is Planet9, another P-car enthusiast site.

This is my second Cayman and I highly recommend the car. You get more out of it in the city than the 911 because the power is more usable in normal driving conditions. I also think the 981s are the best looking car out there right now aside from the 918. The 911s have gotten to be pretty large but they are more practical if you need the extra indoor space.

Good luck with your purchase, they're amazing cars.
absolutFinance

Post by absolutFinance »

hoping to find time for a test drive in the next day or two. does it sit so low to the ground that getting in and out is a chore? i read the 991.2 sits higher up than before. i get low back issues periodically. also working on getting in better shape :shock: