Any Porsche 911 owners here?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Hawaiishrimp

Any Porsche 911 owners here?

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

Any Porsche 911 owners here? In the long term, I am aiming to buy a 911S (all cash, no financing). This is assuming I have already saved a significant amount for retirement, IRA and 529 already. With that said, is it going to burn a hole for me maintenance-wise? I love Porsche and I want to fulfill my dream of owning one someday.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
Angrypuppy

Re: Any Porsche 911 owners here?

Post by Angrypuppy »

i wouldn't admit it here, reference the Rolex thread.

If you're driving anything more expensive than a Honda Civic you are frivolous and wasteful.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Angrypuppy wrote: i wouldn't admit it here, reference the Rolex thread.
+1

Even though I'm not in the market and likely never will be, I would love to hear what some smart, cost-conscious Porsche drivers think but I agree you won't find it here. I like this forum and have gotten some terrific financial advice. And based upon the assets many folks report, I know there are a lot of readers driving a lot of nice cars. But all the noise comes from the Honda and Toyota drivers with 200K miles who think everything else is just marketing and anyone who drives a "German car" is a clueless fool. Oh, and no watch (NO watch!) is better than my Timex. An "expensive" watch here means one that's covered with diamonds, not an invisible IWC. There's a strong bias here that expensive consumer items exist solely for conspicuous consumption. I know there's a lot marketing behind a lot of luxury goods (diamonds being the worst, imo), but I didn't "get" nice cars until I really drove one (off-lease, of course -- it is BH).

You care enough to do your homework -- that's a good start!
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
kenner

Post by kenner »

I've owned - and enjoyed - a few Porsches. A Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet that I bought and drove every day for two years eventually sold for more than I paid for it. Maintenance costs were minimal.

To some people, that would be considered a reasonable "investment". Not sure many Toyotas and Hondas retain value as well.

The Porsches were a joy, not a waste.

Life is short. To each his own.
sambb

Post by sambb »

have owned a porsche. Great car. Way better than a 1999 camry which is often touted here. Great car to drive. Maintenance is expensive. But it was reliable so needed few dealer trips. Wow, the fun though..
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

Forums of the different makes are great places to get feedback.

http://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Want to start BH furor? A Tesla will bring out the Luddites in addition to the more-frugal-than-thou crowd. And, not that it's why I own one, but it can smoke most 911s . . . and tow a 911 :twisted:
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

TomatoTomahto wrote:Want to start BH furor? A Tesla will bring out the Luddites in addition to the more-frugal-than-thou crowd. And, not that it's why I own one, but it can smoke most 911s . . . and tow a 911 :twisted:

A Tesla is faster than many Porsches in a straight line. I doubt many (any?) Teslas are smoking Porsches at the track. The straight line performance is fun, no doubt, but only a committed drag race fan buys a Tesla because it "outperforms" a proper sports car.

Anyway, the 911 is a wonderful car. Ask your question at rennlist.com, a superb and very active Porsche forum.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Yeah you should ask on a Porsche forum instead, the "Why not just but a Corolla?" crowd is finishing breakfast and will be here shortly.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Boy, lots of advance concern trolling by posters above. Why pick the fight before it comes?

To OP, anecdotal discussions of cost from individual owners seems, well, anecdotal. Seems like aggregated estimates are a better way to figure out your TCO. Edmunds link for last years 911 is below, you can find other such on line if you search (e.g. KBB estimates).
http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2016 ... st-to-own/

Maintenance and insurance are as you might guess pricey, as is the car. But if you can afford your toy and its costs, enjoy!
Last edited by Da5id on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

I no longer own a watch...

As for fancy cars... danged if I wasn't tempted when I found out that Lotus makes the Evora in an automatic now!

As long as you have solid long term investments and can afford it, I see no reason why you can't buy the car you want. I'm sticking with the F-150 for now though... can't fit the fam in an Evora.
TSM / SCV / FTSE Big World / FTSE Small World / REIT / TBM / Int Term Tax Exempt
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

daveydoo wrote: But all the noise comes from the Honda and Toyota drivers with 200K miles who think everything else is just marketing and anyone who drives a "German car" is a clueless fool.
OK, Honda/Toyota guy here who is going to offer a dissenting opinion.

I do think that Honda & Toyota (and by extension Lexus/Acura) are great options for daily driver, low hassle, dependable A to B transportation. In my working years with kids its all I've owned so far and all I will likely own for a while.

However, for a "fun" car to drive on the weekends once you are FI; I would buy a Porsche in a heartbeat. From what Ive read (CR, TD, etc) Porsche is the exception to the rule of bad German reliability and tend to be pretty decent on average. Sure scheduled maintenance is expensive because they are complex and have pricey parts - but they are far less likely to leave you stranded than a 5 series bimmer. When you are buying a fun "toy" car reliability is not the top consideration anyway, so who cares.

A very good friend of mine drives a gen 2 Cayman as his fun "summer" car. He loves it, says its never let him down but is expensive to maintain because even the simplest of maintenance requires specialized dealer expertise due to the hard to access mid engine layout (apparently changing spark plugs practically requires pulling the engine out of the car - that's a joke but they are realllllly buried in there).

OTOH, don't get me started on the above friends' A6 daily driver. I could go on all day about his stranded on the side of the road stories with that one... :twisted:
TSquare

Post by TSquare »

I love these types of posts.
matjen

Post by matjen »

I own a 2003 Boxster S and love it. Not cheap to maintain as it ages but gets pretty decent gas mileage and no more expensive to maintain (or minimally more) than any other European brand. I wanted a convertible and felt the Boxster was better than the 911 since it was purpose-built and had a more pure sports car feel rather than a GT feel. Didn't need the tiny back seats.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
mickroark

Post by mickroark »

My boss had a one, but unfortunately the bank repossessed it. Another one of those living beyond his or her means. My dad said if you cannot pay cash for something, then you cant afford it. :oops:
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

eucalyptus wrote: A Tesla is faster than many Porsches in a straight line. I doubt many (any?) Teslas are smoking Porsches at the track. The straight line performance is fun, no doubt, but only a committed drag race fan buys a Tesla because it "outperforms" a proper sports car.
Waiting for the Model 3, and recently drove a Tesla Model S. It was the closest I had come to the feel of the Porsche 928S that was my daily driver
a decade ago. Acceleration was similar, but the 928S handled way better than the Model S.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

mickroark wrote:My boss had a one, but unfortunately the bank repossessed it. Another one of those living beyond his or her means. My dad said if you cannot pay cash for something, then you cant afford it. :oops:
Wow, so he paid cash for his house. That's commendable.
Myopic squirrel

Post by Myopic squirrel »

Hawaii,

Started with a 1961 356B in1967, then an 81 SC Targa in 2000 & finally an 88 Carrera in 2005 (although not a pure track car, was doing track events with the SC & too much body flex, so went to the Carrera coupe). First, as you are probably learning looking at the S models, the early aircooled 911's are fetching ridiculous premium prices. That being said, if you are a DIY mechanical guy, in my experience they are not atrociously expensive to maintain - especially if you join the local Porsche Club of America chapter, plus check out the P forums (Pelican Parts is excellent). I am as mechanically challenged as one gets, yet managed most of the routine maintenance, and thanks to PCA members looking over my shoulder, put a clutch, TO bearing & pressure plate in the SC. Stating the obvious, the critical part is finding a car that has been taken care of and is well sorted out - not easy. When you're ready to buy, try to get current issues of the PCA publication Porsche Panorama & check the local PCA chapters. I found the search as much fun & highly educational as finally finding the car. Have fun!
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I wonder what % of the maintenance cost is brakes and fluid and how hard that is DIY. If you are able bodied enough to get into and out of a porsche on a regular basis then you might be able to save yourself some money working on the easy stuff. If you really like the car then working on it won't feel like a chore...
gundlached

Post by gundlached »

If a sports car brings you joy, boglehead principles will help you achieve it.

I, for one, get zero enjoyment out of driving. Anything more than an upscale large car (Avalon, etc.) gives me no value. I would rather squirrel away my pennies for my kids.

Ferrari stock, anyone? :idea:
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

So true. One of the most pointless (but easiest to quote) spec of a car is 0-60mph. But who really cares? How often do you take advantage of all that power? But handling is always there.
eucalyptus wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:Want to start BH furor? A Tesla will bring out the Luddites in addition to the more-frugal-than-thou crowd. And, not that it's why I own one, but it can smoke most 911s . . . and tow a 911 :twisted:

A Tesla is faster than many Porsches in a straight line. I doubt many (any?) Teslas are smoking Porsches at the track. The straight line performance is fun, no doubt, but only a committed drag race fan buys a Tesla because it "outperforms" a proper sports car.

Anyway, the 911 is a wonderful car. Ask your question at rennlist.com, a superb and very active Porsche forum.
Last edited by TareNeko on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

What is long term? If you are talking about 10 years, ask this question 8 years from now.
Also, consider Cayman. The 911 is getting bigger and bigger.
Hawaiishrimp wrote:Any Porsche 911 owners here? In the long term, I am aiming to buy a 911S (all cash, no financing). This is assuming I have already saved a significant amount for retirement, IRA and 529 already. With that said, is it going to burn a hole for me maintenance-wise? I love Porsche and I want to fulfill my dream of owning one someday.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Are you talking about a "real" 911...aircooled...or a watercooler? :)

Stay away from IMS problem cars. There's a thread here where a member bought one and it didn't even make it home before lunching the engine. Air cooled and turbo and GT-3 have never had this issue. Learn about the car first, then buy informed.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

One problem with Porsches (or other sports cars) is that by the time most people can afford them, shoehorning their aching bodies into them is not all that pleasant. If you must have one, don't wait until you are sixty.
Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser »

Test drove one after watching the movie Risky Business.
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL »

...some smart, cost-conscious Porsche drivers...
I'm not sure it's even legal to use those words in that way in the same sentence. I am not a lawyer, but I'd guess that it would be something like a misdemeanor aggravated oxymoron in most states. :happy

jimb
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Cherokee8215 wrote:Yeah you should ask on a Porsche forum instead, the "Why not just but a Corolla?" crowd is finishing breakfast and will be here shortly.
LOL!!
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

I like neat cars, and Porsches fall into that category. By the time I could afford one (decades ago), I decided that they were too teutonic for me, and too spartan.

I had a friend who owned one, and he noted that driving it required some discipline. If you didn't know what you were doing, the car could "swap ends" on you (because of the engine weight being in the rear).

So good luck with your Porsche. Just be careful. There is a rather long list of athletes and celebrities who took their last breaths in Porsches. Life is too short....just don't make it shorter. :)
azanon

Post by azanon »

jimb_fromATL wrote:
...some smart, cost-conscious Porsche drivers...
I'm not sure it's even legal to use those words in that way in the same sentence. I am not a lawyer, but I'd guess that it would be something like a misdemeanor aggravated oxymoron in most states. :happy

jimb
Have you seen the (now expired) net worth thread that used to be posted at this forum? There's pretty significant numbers of people here whose stash would hardly even be phased by a new Porsche, 911s included.

Another thing to mentally keep in mind about an expensive purchased asset, its not like all of the money is immediately lost. Say you dropped 135K OTD on a mid-level, brand new 911. When you drive it off the lot, its still worth at least 100K+, but probably at least 120K. And as you own it, that value typically goes down, but even years later it still has significant value. So off the lot, you're down 15K - a lot but not earth shattering by any means. So if you're in that 5+ mil net worth category as many bogleheads are, this is hardly affecting anything......

Also, Can't say I've ever seen a U-haul connected to a hearse..... :mrgreen:
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

eucalyptus wrote:Ask your question at rennlist.com, a superb and very active Porsche forum.
+1
I window shop the rennlist 'vehicle marketplace' almost daily... talk about ridiculous vehicles... insane stuff on there for sale every day

I too have a Porsche dream... currently focused on a more affordable sporty Cayman S, one day... I went the cheap route a few years ago and bought its distant cheaper cousin the Honda S2000, and that was insane in itself... (and I do recommend the s2k as a starter Porsche, or period, for the money)
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I had a Kelly Green '73 911 Targa. What a fun machine that was! More exciting than it's get up and go was the incredible braking.

I didn't have a lot of maintenance costs, as a neighbor guy was the local Porsche mechanic and mine was almost brand new. Tires was the big thing: if you drove the car with any gusto, plenty of rubber was rubbed off.

After 7 years, practicality returned, and I sold it for the same as I had bought it.

There's only one go round in life. Once you're stable, I see no reason to deny yourself some pleasures.
dbphd

Post by dbphd »

Boglegrappler wrote: I had a friend who owned one, and he noted that driving it required some discipline. If you didn't know what you were doing, the car could "swap ends" on you (because of the engine weight being in the rear).

So good luck with your Porsche. Just be careful. There is a rather long list of athletes and celebrities who took their last breaths in Porsches. Life is too short....just don't make it shorter. :)
I had a '70 911T for 25 years, bought at the end of my post-doc. Part of the fun was letting the tail hang out, then punching the accelerator at the apex. That did require a sense of balance, though. My 2013 Carrera S convertible, OTOH, goes around corners well by being so broad across the rear with electronic nannies to watch over you. BTW, I sold the '70 911T with 95 kMi for double what I paid for it, but that was before their rapid rise in value.

We also have a 2005 MB E55 AMG wagon. I turned 80 in April and still love to drive. An autonomous Tesla might be for me when I reach 95.
edge

Post by edge »

Yes, maintenance is expensive. I think you should test drive a lot of cars before deciding on the 911. I put it up against the high end Cayman and went with the Cayman due to superior driving dynamics. The rear engine sucks and the backseat is just waste in the 911. The higher end 911s above the S are a different ballgame in terms of power/price (towards 200k). The S is about 100k iirc. Probably 112k with options.

Look at f-type, vette, m4, Cayman gts/gtr, etc before you pick the 911.

Hawaiishrimp wrote:Any Porsche 911 owners here? In the long term, I am aiming to buy a 911S (all cash, no financing). This is assuming I have already saved a significant amount for retirement, IRA and 529 already. With that said, is it going to burn a hole for me maintenance-wise? I love Porsche and I want to fulfill my dream of owning one someday.
sp0704

Post by sp0704 »

I have always wanted one as well, starting around 20 years ago when in elementary school. I have driven several, including a 997 Turbo at the track, and no matter which iteration, they are all fun. My problem with Porsche now is the prices to buy new seem to be rapidly increasing, and they are losing some of the raw appeal they had back in the days of the air cooled engines...heck, even the 997 days. I have also driven the Cayman and it is an incredible car, but with a small child and perhaps another, it is becoming hard to justify.
trackjunke

Post by trackjunke »

I have owned multiple Porsche including 2004 911 gt3, 1997 993 and now 997.1 turbo. Maintenance is expensive when they break but they are overall very reliable. The new cars are great but depreciate like nothing else. I owned my 993 for 10 years and sold it for the exact same I paid for it with 50k more miles. My gt3 was totaled by a friend and I made 3k dollars. I could sell my current Turbo tomorrow for 5-7k more then I paid for it. This obviously does not take into account running costs but consider a used one. Anything air-cooled, manual, GT car, or Turbo with a manual/Mezger is going to hold its value well. The new ones are great but you will take a 20% hit immediately on depreciation.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I'll just keep on driving my (paid-for) used 2004 Toyota pickup truck. Thanks. It probably has a few more thousand miles in it, and for practical purposes it's done just about all the depreciating it's gonna do, at least compared to a new vehicle.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

smartinwate wrote:I'll just keep on driving my (paid-for) used 2004 Toyota pickup truck. Thanks. It probably has a few more thousand miles in it, and for practical purposes it's done just about all the depreciating it's gonna do, at least compared to a new vehicle.
Why stir the pot and add to the culture war? I'd not buy a Porsche myself, but nor do I begrudge others their indulgences (I have my own, as do we all no doubt). I'd discourage someone from buying a Porsche if I thought it endangered their financial future, but if they have enough money and feel that high end cars add to their enjoyment of life they should go to it. Those who like higher end cars don't often go into the "should I replace my 150K mile Yugo" with posts about how the owner should buy a Porsche, as a rule, why not live and let live?
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Hawaiishrimp wrote:With that said, is it going to burn a hole for me maintenance-wise?
The maintenance on any German car is going to be more expensive than a Japanese car. I lease my car (Mercedes C300) and maintenance is included. But little things come up and they are very expensive in contrast to my son's car, which is a Honda.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Petrocelli wrote:
The maintenance on any German car is going to be more expensive than a Japanese car. I lease my car (Mercedes C300) and maintenance is included. But little things come up and they are very expensive in contrast to my son's car, which is a Honda.
That may not be true if you DYI most of the easy maintenance. The most recent cars I've owned have been German (VW, Mercedes & Porsche), Honda, and GM (Saturn VUE). My current cars include a Mercedes C240 that we purchased nearly new in 2002. It went to the MB dealer a few times early on for the initial "free" oil changes and some warranty work. Since then I've done almost all preventative maintenance and repair.

Parts cost has been comparable to my GM cars. Repair (i.e. brakes, oxygen sensors, front end suspension wear) has not been difficult.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

This may not be the best forum for Porsche 911 ownership advice so you'll have to take some of it with a grain of salt. Let me help you. There are thousands of people who will advise you against it and equally as many who will play the "this car is better" or "maintenance is a nightmare" game without ever having actually owned one. There is nothing more tired than hearing people say they always wanted one or have always dreamed of owning one. Dreaming of owning a Ferrari 458 Italia what costs 350K is an unrealistic dream. Buying a 911 is a realistic thing for many who are financially responsible and generally have higher than average income. Go drive one if you've not already and make sure it's what you want. If it is; never buy it new, never lease it, never buy a wrecked, neglected, or abused one, try to pay cash, and don't buy on a budget just to have one. Do your research, take your time, have the car you choose checked by a qualified mechanic, and enjoy the car. Remember; you're not getting a tattoo, you're buying a car. You can always sell it. Your money is saved and made on the buy. Buy smart so you can enjoy it and be able to sell it for good money later. I too always wanted one and dreamed of one; I bought mine 8 years ago and love it. Nothing looks, sounds, or drives like a 911. Dream fulfilled. Go get one.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

You can be a Boglehead and a car guy at the same time. There are several relatively modern sports cars that are holding there value and a few that are increasing in value. In the case of a 911, early 2000 cars, 996 models, and later 997 models, are pretty much fully depreciated. Maintenance costs are largely overblown especially if you are willing to do some basic stuff yourself. Most areas of the country have local chapters with owners willing to help. The Honda S2000 and the Acura NSX are both great cars that cost nothing in depreciation and very little in maintenance as well.
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

Have owned a 1980 911SC for the last 16 years or so. Has been by far the cheapest car to own that I've ever had, even though it has spent a very sizable chunk of its life on the track being pushed hard. Relatively easy to work on, so I've done almost everything myself. There's a ton of support for self-maintenance available online (Pelican Parts forums being extremely great). And without having really done anything cosmetic, in a still-stock configuration, it's worth 3x what I paid for it. So yes, I'm pleased, and no, it hasn't been an expensive maintenance nightmare.

Newer Porsches aren't so easily self-maintained, so yes, maintenance will cost more, but they're surprisingly reliable overall. Especially mechanically. The most likely things to break are not driveline-related.

The BH attitudes toward "luxury" items always crack me up. What's the point of saving lots and lots and lots (which almost all of us do) if you never get to enjoy it?
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

Hawaiishrimp wrote:Any Porsche 911 owners here? . . . With that said, is it going to burn a hole for me maintenance-wise?
I used to own a 2002 Carrera 4 Cabrio, and now drive a 2003 Carrera hardtop. Hugely fun cars, I learned a lot about turning a wrench and driving on my 911s. They don't have to cost a ton of $ if you buy pre-owned. DIY maintenance is generally not too difficult. Maintenance and repairs at a dealership can be pricey, but not out of line with other European luxury marques. Porsches are not like Ferraris which require all manner of special tools and parts. Any competent independent shop can perform maintenance for less than dealer rates. You've inspired me to maybe go out and get another 911 :beer

There's a large community of Porsche owners out there

http://rennlist.com/forums/

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
southbay

Post by southbay »

Cherokee8215 wrote:Yeah you should ask on a Porsche forum instead, the "Why not just but a Corolla?" crowd is finishing breakfast and will be here shortly.
haha. a used Porsche can cost less to own per month than a brand new Toyota.
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

Had one for a few years. Nothing drives like one, short of a go cart. Amazing fun. Main problem I found is reselling when you want to move on. Buyers of used 911's tend to want a great deal of documentation, so make sure you are meticulous about service and keeping records. They are very durable but repairs can be costly, as a lot of gear is packed into a small car. You do not buy them because they are economical. You do it because they are an amazing machine. Just thinking about it makes me want it back! Best weekend getaway car ever.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Da5id wrote:Boy, lots of advance concern trolling by posters above. Why pick the fight before it comes?
Guilty; sorry!

But you gotta admit -- it worked. Posts by actual Porsche owners in response to a question about a Porsche.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
Topic Author
Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

Myopic squirrel wrote:Hawaii,

Started with a 1961 356B in1967, then an 81 SC Targa in 2000 & finally an 88 Carrera in 2005 (although not a pure track car, was doing track events with the SC & too much body flex, so went to the Carrera coupe). First, as you are probably learning looking at the S models, the early aircooled 911's are fetching ridiculous premium prices. That being said, if you are a DIY mechanical guy, in my experience they are not atrociously expensive to maintain - especially if you join the local Porsche Club of America chapter, plus check out the P forums (Pelican Parts is excellent). I am as mechanically challenged as one gets, yet managed most of the routine maintenance, and thanks to PCA members looking over my shoulder, put a clutch, TO bearing & pressure plate in the SC. Stating the obvious, the critical part is finding a car that has been taken care of and is well sorted out - not easy. When you're ready to buy, try to get current issues of the PCA publication Porsche Panorama & check the local PCA chapters. I found the search as much fun & highly educational as finally finding the car. Have fun!
Thanks Myopic squirrel. I joined Rennlist forum already and my long term plan is to buy either new or a 3-5 years old 911S or Cayman GTS/4 (whatever cool car they manage to build by that time). Yes, I can pay cash for it now, but I'm still in my heavy saving age, so I rather save even more & eventually buy it as it become less than 3% of my total portfolio size. That's the goal. I am somewhat mechanically challenged also, but I am focus and willing to learn new things, from online buddies or read a book; that never scares me. I have done basic maintenance of my cars before so I am not particularly afraid to do that myself. My worry is the big ticket items such as rebuilding the engine, tranny failure, electrical issues.

Indeed, I believe there are lots of higher priorities in life (save for retirement, 529s, health insurance etc..). I am working on those, & currently on track. Ultimately, I can't bring it with me, so I will probably spend a little on myself. I live in SoCal nowadays so weather is super nice (especially in a fun ride with my wife by my side chilling). That is my dream. :D
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
Myopic squirrel

Post by Myopic squirrel »

Hawaii, glad to be of help! One thing I neglected to mention - the PPI (pre-purchase inspection) by a mechanic who knows "where the bodies are buried", which when buying used can be critical. Good luck & have fun!
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

Myopic squirrel wrote:One thing I neglected to mention - the PPI (pre-purchase inspection) by a mechanic who knows "where the bodies are buried", which when buying used can be critical.
Good advice here.

If buying pre-owned, a PPI must be done. My preference is to pay more to have the PPI performed by a Porsche Dealer if the service dept would be willing to look up the VIN on the national database and tell you if the car has had all recalls and TSBs performed. Ask about any warranty repairs. Technically they are not supposed to tell you about routine service, but some techs will help you out :sharebeer.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
tphp99

Post by tphp99 »

dbphd wrote:
Boglegrappler wrote: An autonomous Tesla might be for me when I reach 95.
Best car guy quote ever.