Encyclopedia, World Book, Complete Set, 1960 Ed.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rakornacki1

Encyclopedia, World Book, Complete Set, 1960 Ed.

Post by rakornacki1 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:20 am

Does anyone have any experience or useable outlets for a complete set of the World Book Encyclopedia (1960 Ed.), white cover?

rec7

Re: Encyclopedia, World Book, Complete Set, 1960 Ed.

Post by rec7 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:24 am

I had a 1958 set and found out it was worth very little.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Angrypuppy

Post by Angrypuppy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:25 am

Every Goodwill and used bookstore I've ever been in has multiple sets for next to nothing.

Post by 123 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:28 am

I grew up with a set exactly like that. We also had about 5 - 10 years worth of the updating annual yearbooks. Sadly there is not much interest in printed encyclopedias and our set went in the dumpster when the family home was cleared out. Spouse's family was more high end - they had an combined set of Encyclopedia Britannica and a matching Britannica Junior set of about the same vintage. When that family home was cleared out those sets went in the dumpster as well. As your set probably is, they were all in excellent condition.

Disposing of them was just so sad to me but the world marches on and nobody wants them. I remember as a child how lucky I felt that we had a set of encyclopedias in the house.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:41 am

rakornacki1 wrote:Does anyone have any experience or useable outlets for a complete set of the World Book Encyclopedia (1960 Ed.), white cover?
They are worth about as much as CRT televisions.

Encyclopedias have been made obsolete by the internet. Even if they weren't, a lot has happened since 1960.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:42 am

We have a set of World Book circa 1970s that I cleaned out of my storage building recently. They are in very good condition (that may be an indictment of their use by our kids?). I have tried and have not found anyone willing to take them. I tried public library, Goodwill, homeschoolers and others to no avail. A retired teacher friend had similar problem. Like me, she tried to find a home for them, and just kept them as she could not bear to throw them in the dumpster. That may be my fate as well. If you find an outlet, let us know.

island

Post by island » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:51 am

Not worth zip according to my local library. Friend volunteers there and they use to get many people asking if they can donate their run of the mill sets. They used to take them to try and sell at their book drives, but so few takers over the years that they'd end up recycling them. Now they just advise people to do that themselves.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:57 am

Recycle them or save them for a couple hundred years to see if they become a rare novelty item.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:01 pm

While it doesn't help the OP I wish larger libraries and historical societies would keep a set of Encyclopedia's from every decade or so. They are of historical interest. The articles are an window into what was known and thought at the time. An article on Cassius Clay in a 1970 encyclopedia should change your view, whether it's your view of Ali, or the 60's or the publisher.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:11 pm

I had to trash a full set of World Book encyclopedia from 1985ish. They were fantastic books with tons of pictures and good indexing and articles. My kids used them a lot with they were in grade school. I used them many times. I was downsizing so I needed to get rid of them. My kids did not have grand kids yet and did not want them. The locals thrift stores would not take them. The homeless shelter did not want them. No one wanted them. I kept them in the garage for 3-4 years until the bottom row of boxes got wet. So in 2009ish I threw them away. It was a sad afternoon. But all the world maps were wrong. So was a bunch of the country discussion. USSR, East Germany, etc.. I am also sure that a lot of other information was still accurate. But I can get it faster on the internet. I don't have to spend a hour looking and reading related stuff to find exactly what I need. So there were obsolete.

Time moves on.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:15 pm

I had a similar set that I finally put out on my yard sale. I had no takers. Even the scavengers (flea market sellers) who show up at the end of a yard sale offering next to nothing didn't want it. I negotiated and finally got one to take it for two bucks that I paid him. I wasn't going to subject my back to moving it one more inch.

xenial

Post by xenial » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Incredibly, print encyclopedias are still published. For a mere $1099.95 we can enjoy all 22 volumes of World Book Encyclopedia 2016.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:43 pm

rakornacki1 wrote:Does anyone have any experience or useable outlets for a complete set of the World Book Encyclopedia (1960 Ed.), white cover?
Recycling or trash can, whichever is appropriate where you live. They are worthless. The thrift shop places around here specifically state that they don't accept encyclopedias.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:47 pm

I would not say they are worthless.

A 56 year old encyclopedia set offers a snapshot in time of not only the material covered, but a specific writing style and editorial style. And even though the maps are all probably completely wrong, it is still of some merit to know what the political boundaries used to be at one time. As well as the style of geography that was prevalent a half century ago.

That being said, unless someone has a large house and an appropriate area for these books other than out in the garage, it's hard to justify keeping them. Have a book burning in the backyard, invite the neighbors over!

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:21 pm

Mingus wrote:Have a book burning in the backyard, invite the neighbors over!
I have unpleasant memories of a high school job tending a fire used to dispose of old paper records.

Burning books completely is a lot harder than most people think. Either you use a lot of extra fuel or you rip out and crumple each page. If you just pile up the books and throw in a match you're going to have to dispose of a lot of slightly charred books.

Northster

Post by Northster » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:40 pm

As a former librarian I would say my colleagues in larger libraries generally recognize the historical value of these publications but have long since saved what they need. Just because they do not want any more does not mean they do not value them. Smaller libraries, of course, do not have the space for them. Also, in my local public library the reference section has shrunk to nearly nothing due to the growth of the Web, while the banks of computer terminals are humming.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:42 pm

Off topic, but I do recall being shocked at how quickly the print encyclopedias up and decided they were going out of business. As I recall, Wikipedia and the online encyclopedias were clearly on the rise, but at that point, had definitely NOT surpassed (even close to it) the popularity and referencing of the print encyclopedias. But they closed shop pretty quick, as I recall. I felt they had at least a few more years to sell their sets successfully, but apparently not.

stratton

Post by stratton » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:45 pm

It probably wasn't worth much 40 years ago.

I bought a 1960 edition Encyclopedia Britannica at a yard sale in 1974 for $7.50.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

stratton

Post by stratton » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Mingus wrote:Have a book burning in the backyard, invite the neighbors over!
I have unpleasant memories of a high school job tending a fire used to dispose of old paper records.

Burning books completely is a lot harder than most people think. Either you use a lot of extra fuel or you rip out and crumple each page. If you just pile up the books and throw in a match you're going to have to dispose of a lot of slightly charred books.
A tightly packed pile of paper such as a book keeps oxygen away so it doesn't really burn well which is why a filing cabinet has a high chance of surviving paper documents. Do not put data CDs in plastic sleeves which melt at ~185 degrees and stick to the plastic CDR which melts at ~350 degrees. Use paper sleeves.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Maybe a nursing home with an Alzheimer's unit would be interested?

I actually bought a set of circa 1960 World Book about 20 years ago (for a song at a library book sale) for nostalgia purposes. It was approximately the same edition as the one I had grown up with as a child, and I enjoyed sharing it with my kids when they were growing up and talking about what had changed and what was still the same. (I don't know what happened to the original WB set that was in our family during my formative years--I am sure my mother must have tossed it decades ago in one of their many moves.) I have been tossing a lot of other stuff recently but I am still hanging on to the World Book for now. It makes me smile every time I pass it. It was in our family's dining room when I was a child (handy for settling factual disputes and questions that arose during dinners together), so I still keep it near the dining table in my home now. The photos bring back memories--I spent a lot of time with my head buried in it as a child and my siblings and I even invented a game that used it.

rakornacki1

Post by rakornacki1 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:27 pm

Thank you all for your rapid and objective replies. While unfortunate as you indicate, yet as expected, I will dispose/recycle these childhood relics.
Good luck & great profits!

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:30 am

An exception to the lack of worth in printed encyclopedias would be the Britannica, 9th or 10th edition. Well written articles by people tops in their field.

http://www.1902encyclopedia.com/about.html
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:20 am

Agree that they were well written. However, they were hopelessly out of date in about ten years. In other words, by the time that I was in high school, the encyclopedia was of limited value.

Also, the printed excyclopedia was very limited in what they deemed worthy to include in those 26 volumes. Want to know about a pop singer or a recent popular novelist? Forget about it.

jdb

Post by jdb » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:13 pm

I used to sell those volumes door to door in late 1960's as college student in summer job in central Wisconsin. We would go to small towns, stay away from high rent districts, favorites were the mobile home parks looking for young families with grade school kids. My sales pitch was that for monthly price of cigarettes (this was when smoking was ubiquitous) could afford this great educational resource for your children. Sold a few sets but got thrown out of too many homes and double wides, especially just as was almost closing sale with wife when husband got home. But thanks for the memories.

Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Spirit Rider wrote: I negotiated and finally got one to take it for two bucks...

...that I paid him
I thought this was hilarious. It made me laugh out loud for a while
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!

westie

Post by westie » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Fire pit this fall

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Try ebay and Amazon. You might get $50 for them.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:49 pm

OP, in which state do you live? I'd love 'em!

edit: Disregard. I see you are in SC. I am in Connecticut. Oh, well.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren at Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:04 pm

Our Library won't take them as a donation.
All the Best, | Joe

theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:23 pm

Do you have a bunker, a.k.a fallout shelter? Put them in there.

"10 Cloverfield Lane", great movie! Work it on out. Put that movie in there too. Scare the crap out of the survivors.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:While it doesn't help the OP I wish larger libraries and historical societies would keep a set of Encyclopedia's from every decade or so. They are of historical interest. The articles are an window into what was known and thought at the time. An article on Cassius Clay in a 1970 encyclopedia should change your view, whether it's your view of Ali, or the 60's or the publisher.
I ran across a set of the Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, from 1911, started thumbing through it and was completely enchanted. Several years later I found a copy of it in a second-hand bookstore for $50 and grabbed it. Better yet, it was the "Handy Volume edition" (ordinary book-sized volumes, rather small type, very thin pages) and was the Twelfth Edition with three additional extra volumes with articles bring it up to date on the Great European War and the advances in aviation, etc.

It is utterly fascinating, in part because it is so really authoritative--the article in "Radio-Activity" is by "E. Ru." (i.e. Ernest Rutherford)--and because it is written to an educated-adult audience (whereas World Book always seemed to me to be targeted toward a high school audience).

I really do read it for pleasure.

In its day the Britannica (heavily marketed in the U.S. by the University of Chicago) literally was advertised as being "The Sum of Human Knowledge," a slogan which Wikipedia borrowed, knowingly or unknowingly.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

mrc

Post by mrc » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:45 pm

I just recently recycled my 1959 World Book set including Year Books up to about 1977. The front page presented the set to me from my parents when I was born. My late father was thinking ahead! Reading the older volumes for science and politics is interesting. My rationale was that my wife has a set several years older than mine (red cover, instead of the green/gold/creme) for the time capsule, that all that information is available in the either now, we have no children, and at least the set won't take up space in a landfill. I have a hard time disposing of books, but the culture and technology moves on. I read them a lot. I guess it worked to some extent -- I'm reading on this board so I learned something about learning something.
Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country's cause. Honor, also, to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field and serves, as best he can, the same cause. —AL

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:39 pm

Wow! I remember these! Check your local library for advice. Try eBay or Amazon.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:54 pm

Compton's is going for $50 - $100 for a complete set on ebay. You would have to pay me about $1000 to get my set, and maybe not then.

ataloss

Post by ataloss » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:16 pm

My family had the 1964 World Book with a custom made cabinet. It was sad to see them get recycled a few years ago.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:19 am

I'd consider offering it on Craigs list for free.

Sagenick48

Post by Sagenick48 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:07 pm

I have a 1940 set of the Britannica at my cabin which I have been skimming volume by volume for the past 4 years. About a month ago I was reading in the "G" volume about guerrila warfare. The article was interesting but it was discussing in detail the 1917 campaign in Arabia. At the end of the article were the initials of the author, DHL, yes Col DH Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia.

There is also some real value in seeing how knowledge has developed. In reading an article about the Sun, it was described as being powered by an unknown form of energy.

I find it fascinating.
The market goes up, the market goes down.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:54 pm

Sagenick48 wrote:I have a 1940 set of the Britannica at my cabin which I have been skimming volume by volume for the past 4 years. About a month ago I was reading in the "G" volume about guerrila [sic] warfare. The article was interesting but it was discussing in detail the 1917 campaign in Arabia. At the end of the article were the initials of the author, DHL, yes Col DH Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia. . . .
Did you mean T. E. Lawrence? D. H. Lawrence was a British novelist who wrote (among others) Sons and Lovers, Women in Love, and Lady Chatterley's Lover.
Gordon

grampars

Post by grampars » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Dear rackornacki1 -

Desperately seeking Volume S of World Book Encyclopedia 1960, white cover for sentimental reasons (elderly neighbors getting near the end, still fretting over the decades-old "lost volume"). If you still have (or anyone else does), please let me know. Thx.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:12 am

We have a store around here that specializes in used books. When I recently brought them a big selection of books they would not even take my Encyclopædia Britannica for free. I had to cart it back home.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Tangential but since the thread has been revived... circa 1990... I really did lust after a copy of the print edition of the so-called "Britannica 3," which is/was very good and very well designed--the "Micropædia/Macropædia" idea works really well. The "Propædia" isn't worth a plugged nickel but I supposed Mortimer Adler is entitled to his vanity. Anyway.

So one day I'm in a shopping mall, and there in the middle of the mall is a salesperson selling the Encyclpædia Britannica. And, I swear I really did this. I took out my credit card. And I said to him "I'm giving you thirty seconds. If you can tell me the price of the cheapest edition, in the cheapest binding, with no extras, within thirty seconds, I will buy it on the spot." And I started to look at my wristwatch.

And he blew it. He would not go off script to make a $1,000 sale. He started by saying "Well, many of our customers really do find that the superior appearance and durability of the genuine leather binding is well worth the small extra cost, it's just $2,295 and you get this handsome bookcase for free..." and thirty seconds later he had still not gotten to the cheapest price. Maybe it was just the bait in a bait-and-switch and they lost money on it, I don't know. I felt slightly relieved because I really would have gone through with it, and I couldn't really afford it.

Years later I bought the Britannica on CD-ROM for about $49. Then a few years later version skew took its toll and its clunky Java-based app quit working... but by then I was not only using, but making occasional edits in, Wikipedia.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:05 pm

grampars wrote:Dear rackornacki1 -

Desperately seeking Volume S of World Book Encyclopedia 1960, white cover for sentimental reasons (elderly neighbors getting near the end, still fretting over the decades-old "lost volume"). If you still have (or anyone else does), please let me know. Thx.
That's a sweet idea. Alas, I don't, but I honestly believe your best shot is to buy a whole set, save that volume, recycle the other volumes, and tell them a little white lie. As I write this, I see one on sale on eBay for $12.88, "buy it now" price with free shipping. Perhaps you could even convince the seller just to send you the S volume.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:06 pm

nisiprius wrote:... Years later I bought the Britannica on CD-ROM for about $49. Then a few years later version skew took its toll and its clunky Java-based app quit working... but by then I was not only using, but making occasional edits in, Wikipedia.
A close call indeed. That sums up the evolution of the printed *pedia very well. I've even started thinking differently about other longer term plans -- like, will this (expensive and in great condition) item even be relevant in 5-10 years?
Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country's cause. Honor, also, to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field and serves, as best he can, the same cause. —AL

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:33 pm

A few years ago I saw a great cartoon strip. A kid is in the library and sees a set of books on the shelf. He asks the librarian what the set is, and she tells him that it is the Encyclopedia Britannica. His reply: "Gee, you mean somebody actually printed out the whole thing?"

Ralph