Had entire lawn sodded, now some animal is creating holes...Philly Burbs Area

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Fieldsy1024

Had entire lawn sodded, now some animal is creating holes...Philly Burbs Area

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:14 am

I've had my house for 5.5 years and never have seen holes dug up from animals. The hole is about 3-4in diameter and 5-6 inch deep (in one day/night they did this). Both are just a few inches from the house.

This is the second time it has happened in the span of maybe 4 days. We don't have pets. I know I've seen foxes around once in a while. I have seen groundhogs miles away from home, but never in the yard.

What could it be you think and how to solve it? These animals are winning 2-0 against me.

frugalfraggle

Re: Had entire lawn sodded, now some animal is creating holes...Philly Burbs Area

Post by frugalfraggle » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:26 am

One time when I was a grounds keeper we had skunks and raccoons that would come at night and dig little holes in the lawns, wasn't much we could do.

JW-Retired

Re: Had entire lawn sodded, now some animal is creating holes...Philly Burbs Area

Post by JW-Retired » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:34 am

Skunks dig little holes like you describe. They seem to be able to smell grubs underground and dig in just the right spots.

Raccoons are less dainty and are apt to roll up whole areas of the sod.

You can set up a critter camera if you want to see what's doing it. There is no solving it except getting a dog that lives outside, but that would be worse for your yard.
JW
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... %20reviews
Retired at Last

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:44 am

Rabbits with babies dig shallow holes to hide in overnight. Since the ground is soft they can (and do) a lot of damage when they make these nests. My veggie garden was the peferred place for this activity until I finally fenced it to keep the rabbits out.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:48 am

What was there before you sodded? If an old grass lawn that died because of lots of grubs (june bug larva), then those grubs may be still there and available to eat your grass roots and to be eaten by critters that come in the night.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks for the replies. We are getting grub treatment for sure.

I'd like to just re sod those areas, but my wife just wants to add soil and seed. What is better? I figured if I cut the sod exactly to match the hole and the depth (id add soil too), that would be better.......thoughts?

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:04 am

livesoft wrote:What was there before you sodded? If an old grass lawn that died because of lots of grubs (june bug larva), then those grubs may be still there and available to eat your grass roots and to be eaten by critters that come in the night.
The grass at those two areas was nice, but I do know we have grubs.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:10 am

Fieldsy1024 wrote:I'd like to just re sod those areas, but my wife just wants to add soil and seed. What is better? I figured if I cut the sod exactly to match the hole and the depth (id add soil too), that would be better.......thoughts?
Your micro-re-sodding is better. Post photos of before and after, then we can judge you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:18 am

You may have a groundhog problem. I take an old shirt, soak it in lemon ammonia and stuff it into the hole.

ram

Post by ram » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:19 am

I have 2 such holes in my yard and saw a baby squirrel popping out of one yesterday. Rabbits have made larger holes in the past. Within reason I share my yard with these animals.
Ram

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:30 am

Squirrels or rats.

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:59 am

Fieldsy1024 wrote:Thanks for the replies. We are getting grub treatment for sure.

I'd like to just re sod those areas, but my wife just wants to add soil and seed. What is better? I figured if I cut the sod exactly to match the hole and the depth (id add soil too), that would be better.......thoughts?
If you do seed, will you be able to get seed from the sod company so it is an exact match? And growing from seed requires a lot more time and effort (watering consistently until it is established.)
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:04 pm

Fieldsy1024,
I would not think this is the proper time to over seed or sod and try to grow grass. If you are in the Philadelphia area I would suspect you are using a cool season grass and fall (late Sept - early Oct) would be the best time to do either. Can you confirm what type of seed or sod you are wanting to use.
Tom D.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:02 pm

I cannot confirm what type of sod they laid down. I can ask the company.

My wife is pushing for seed, and I am trying to tell her just getting a patch of sod, cutting it to form is best.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:08 pm

Fieldsy1024 wrote:I cannot confirm what type of sod they laid down. I can ask the company.

My wife is pushing for seed, and I am trying to tell her just getting a patch of sod, cutting it to form is best.
For the Philly area, this is not the time of year to start seed. The summer will kill it. You need to wait until late August to set seed. If you need to cover the area now, use sod, but be prepared to water it often or else the heat will kill it. But, it does have a better chance of surviving the summer since the roots are already established. Tall fescue is good type of grass for our region.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:18 pm

But don't the roots have to become established in the sub-surface in order to survive?? I just can't see doing anything with the summer heat arriving. Why not wait till fall?
Tom D.

daveatca

Lots of good ideas

Post by daveatca » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:37 pm

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Well we had it all installed just a month ago. Most of the time it was hot.

I'm thinking since the ground is softer than pre-sod the animal is saying "wow this is worth my time now" lol

I don't know......someday I will get to learn to be a green thumber.

Fieldsy1024

Re: Lots of good ideas

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:39 pm

daveatca wrote:You can find pointers here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaqGBF9nUb8
you bastid.

lol, nice 1 :)

daveatca

Post by daveatca » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:43 pm

Fieldsy1024 wrote:you bastid.
Why, thank you.
I resemble that remark. I do prefer the French spelling, however -- bâtard.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:47 pm

daveatca wrote:
Fieldsy1024 wrote:you bastid.
Why, thank you.
I resemble that remark. I do prefer the French spelling, however -- bâtard.
haha, I always say that (bastid) when one of my friends comes up with a nice little comeback or innocent insult.

stratton

Post by stratton » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:53 pm

JW-Retired wrote:Raccoons are less dainty and are apt to roll up whole areas of the sod.
Raccoons are for dealing with paper wasp nests. I had one the size of a volley ball a few feet off the ground. I wasn't about to go near it, but the raccoons chowed down on it one night. No more wasps.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

stratton

Post by stratton » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Fieldsy1024 wrote:I've had my house for 5.5 years and never have seen holes dug up from animals. The hole is about 3-4in diameter and 5-6 inch deep (in one day/night they did this). Both are just a few inches from the house.

This is the second time it has happened in the span of maybe 4 days. We don't have pets. I know I've seen foxes around once in a while. I have seen groundhogs miles away from home, but never in the yard.

What could it be you think and how to solve it? These animals are winning 2-0 against me.
There's at least one movie based on this plot premise. :twisted:

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Some animals love to dig. In lawns usually they are looking for grubs. and all you have to do is spread Grubex once a year with a spreader - that kills the grubs. On plantings you can spray a deterrent like Liquid Fence, which is smelling, but does its job here in NY. You do not need any experts for that, only have to buy it at a big box store and apply it.

expat

Post by expat » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:33 pm

You will lose the battle of the lawn. Just accept it, forget about it, and move on.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:42 pm

tomd37 wrote:Fieldsy1024,
I would not think this is the proper time to over seed or sod and try to grow grass. If you are in the Philadelphia area I would suspect you are using a cool season grass and fall (late Sept - early Oct) would be the best time to do either. Can you confirm what type of seed or sod you are wanting to use.
I'm in MD. Basically the same climate zone as Phil. Seed is done here in Sept or early Oct. Sod is done here in the spring - April - but rarely produces as good a lawn as seed.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Dan999

Post by Dan999 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:08 pm

I always thought holes this small were from moles. Anyway, I cover the hole and surrounding area with cayenne pepper, and it seems to work.
Dan999

user5027

Post by user5027 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:15 pm

My guess on the hole diameter is moles or voles.