Best Playstation 4 Games for Beginners?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RooseveltG

Best Playstation 4 Games for Beginners?

Post by RooseveltG » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:54 am

Can anyone suggest easy starter games for the Playstation 4? I found Driveclub to be very user friendly but have a hard time figuring out Call of Duty Black Ops 3 (bundled with the system). Basically, I knock off 3 aliens, get killed myself and then have to sit through the intro video again to end up with the same result.

I am looking for easy games (shooter?) with an easy learning curve for someone over 65.

Thanks in advance.

Roosevelt.

Jags4186

Re: Best Playstation 4 Games for Beginners?

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:59 am

Depending on how good your reflexes are I might pass on shooters until you get more accustomed to playing video games.

Try a game like Skyrim or Fallout where you can roam and get used to playing. You'll be able to progress at your own pace.

pochax

Post by pochax » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:03 am

plants vs. zombies garden warfare 2 is fun and less skill-based shooter than call of duty (CoD).

CoD is very fast-paced action....very arcade-y action compared to tactical shooters like Battlefield and Rainbow Six.

also may want to try Battleborn (by Gearbox) or Overwatch (by Activision).

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:45 am

I recommend the Uncharted series:
- The graphics are incredible! It feels like you're in the tropics
- Game progression is slower with some 'movies' between major stages
- You get to shoot bad guys instead of aliens
- Getting new ammo is somewhat more realistic than other games. Instead of just finding cases of ammo laying around, you must shoot a bad guy and pick up his magazine 8-)

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:12 am

Shooter games I like to play on the PC. Mouse is much easier to aim with.

In my opinion, sports and driving games are the ones that are better suited for consoles.

MLB The Show on the PS4 is quite good.

aj44

Post by aj44 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:43 am

Uncharted 4, seriously one of the best games ever made. There is a storytelling mode which pretty much assures you can't die and it autoaims.

Once you beat that, Destiny, this one is more difficult but has the best shooter mechanics of any game I have played and there are several expansion packs. You can make that game as easy or as hard as you want.

Nahum

Post by Nahum » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:17 am

Go with Uncharted 4 and you might as well snag Uncharted Drake Collection and you will have enough to be entertained. I want to recommend Metal Gear Solid to you that is if your into sneaking missions. For senseless fun download Rocket League from the PS4 store, it is the easiest game to play and to get hooked on.

Pharmacist

Post by Pharmacist » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:18 am

If you find a game you are interested in but unsure you could always try youtubing it. For example, search "blacks ops 3 gameplay" on youtube. Pretty much any game on the market will have people commentating gameplay or giving a walkthrough. Helpful for both seeing what a game is like before buying it and also learning to play a game if you are having trouble.

Also in the difficulty settings change it to easy, if you haven't already.

Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:03 pm

As the name suggests, I also recommend the Uncharted series. Get the collection and Uncharted 4. If you set the difficulty on easy the games aren't difficult.

Closest gaming series I've seen to a hollywood blockbuster

simmias

Post by simmias » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:21 pm

There are a ton of great PS4 games for sale at Best Buy for $15 each right now. Lots would fit your criteria:

Tearaway Unfolded is a charming platformer with a fantastic art style that's different from anything else you'll ever play. I highly recommend it.

Last of Us Remastered is one of the best games of all time. Fantastic story, fun gameplay, and an awesome multiplayer after you're done with the single player that encourages teamwork and is accessible for beginners.

God of War 3 Remastered is a classic hack n slash from last gen that still looks and plays great.

Until Dawn is a horror game that plays a bit like a choose-your-own-adventure game. Great cast, great game, highly recommended.

Infamous Second Son is an easy action superhero-like game that looks and plays great.

The Order: 1866 is one of the best looking games out now, but it's really short. Perfect for the price, though.

There are others on sale as well (Bloodborne, Minecraft, Little Big Planet 3, Killzone Shadowfall), but I'd recommend the above games first.

Carter3

Post by Carter3 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:02 pm

you're getting old Bubba

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:51 pm

You might try the telltale games such as walking dead, the wolf among us and game of thrones. They require little hand eye coordination.

RooseveltG

Post by RooseveltG » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:28 am

Thanks for all the replies. I am on older techie but find these games to be quite challenging!

Carter3

Post by Carter3 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:48 pm

I have always been into video games, got my first game console at 4 years old so I'd consider myself pretty savvy. My kids even the 4 yo gets on these things and smokes me. It's second nature for him and should be for me, however even with practice I can't beat him. So I just figure I'm getting old too.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:14 pm

I am currently playing the division and loving it. It is a 3rd person tactiical shooter. It is mostly pve, there is pvp available but you don't have to do it if you don't want to. I like it MUCH better than cod. I am 61 and do fine. I can't beat a 12 yo, but there ya go.

kramer

Post by kramer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Reviving a year old thread ... I am about to purchase a Playstation 4 Pro and wondering what games I should order with it ... I am new to the gaming world ... I guess there have been a lot of new titles released in the past year. Thanks in advance and I found what is already in this thread quite useful.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Battlefield 1 is also great, looks much like the original Medal of Honor except it's a WWI game.

grp2c

Post by grp2c » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:28 pm

+1 on the uncharted series and last of us. I don't own a PS. I just borrowed a friend's PS and those are the only games I played. I don't like overly complicated games.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:34 pm

Really enjoying ghost recon wildlands. Don't bother with the narco road dlc, but the other one is good. If you get PlayStation plus, be sure to download the free monthly games, even if you are not sure you want it. You can always delete the game and redownload later.

snowblinded

Post by snowblinded » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:09 am

Rocket League. Soccer with cars.

kramer

Post by kramer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:42 am

mhalley wrote: If you get PlayStation plus, be sure to download the free monthly games, even if you are not sure you want it. You can always delete the game and redownload later.
The way I understand it, PlayStation Plus ($60/year) offers some free games for download each month, so I could download them for that month only but play them at any subsequent time as long as my PlayStation Plus account is current? And allows online multi-player which may enhance certain games. So it sounds like this may be good value for a beginner just to get exposed to some different games?

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:10 am

I've found PlayStation plus reasonably valuable

For the record. I've been playing first person shooters on PC for 26 years, and I can't play them on consoles.. it's horrible..

Consoles aren't good for shooters
IT-DevOps System Administrator

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:37 am

Nintendo has better games for beginners, imo.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:46 am

I just bought a PS4 (non pro) and Purchased Horizon Zero Dawn for it, I just started the game and it looks really good.

I played the original uncharted on the PS3 and plan on picking up the uncharted collection and Uncharted 4 when I get a chance.

JDTHOOSIER

Post by JDTHOOSIER » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:44 am

camaro327 wrote:I just bought a PS4 (non pro) and Purchased Horizon Zero Dawn for it, I just started the game and it looks really good.

I played the original uncharted on the PS3 and plan on picking up the uncharted collection and Uncharted 4 when I get a chance.
Horizon Dawn is a great game. I've had this PS4 for a few years and just use it as a sort of entertainment center, and do not play games. But I
got hooked on this one. Good combination of story, graphics, and game mechanics.

jocdoc

Post by jocdoc » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:54 am

dirt Ralley,( a racing game) fun, challenging
Titanfall 2 easier shooter than call of duty, multiple modes of gameplay
The sports games are good.

I am in my sixties so my reflexes are too slow for many of the other shooters

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:06 am

John Madden Football is a good one.

kramer

Post by kramer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:10 pm

This thread has been so helpful ... thanks very much! I have been busy researching all these games, some great recommendations. I am thinking of starting with a game in each of several genres to see what I enjoy and gain some skills, combined with PS+ to get exposed to more games.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:03 am

Here is some info on the free ps4 games from peplums
.Games & Special Offers: As a subscriber, you can expect to get your hands on free monthly PSN games, minis and PS One Classics from the PSN Store. You will be able to download these games during the month they are available until the new selection replaces them.
Once downloaded, the games are yours to keep and play as long as you are a member of PlayStation Plus. If your subscription lapses and then you re-subscribe, the games you have already downloaded will reactivate, so you still have access to them. Additionally, if you delete one of the titles from your PS3, but decide you want to get it back, then you can re-download from the PlayStation Plus section of the PSN Store if the game is still there, or, if the game has expired from the PlayStation Plus section of the PSN Store, you can simply search for it on PS Store and download it again at no extra cost.
July has until dawn and game of thrones, which should be good for the new player.