Battery Life - 2008 Toyota Hybrid Camry

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
charleshugh

Battery Life - 2008 Toyota Hybrid Camry

Post by charleshugh » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:34 pm

I own a 2008 Camry Hybrid. It has 104,000 miles. The warranty covering the battery is 8 years or 100,000 miles. My car runs very well and is in excellent shape - no accidents and well-maintained.

The replacement cost for the battery is about $4,500. So I am wondering whether to chance keeping the car or is it time for a replacement? If there is a reasonable chance that the battery lasts for another 50,000 to 75,000 miles, I would rather keep it and save the money.

I would love some perspective from folks who have owned a hybrid.

Thanks,
CH

nominalBob

Re: Battery Life - 2008 Toyota Hybrid Camry

Post by nominalBob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:50 pm

I've a 2001 Prius. Replaced the battery with a rebuilt one in 2015 at 198k miles at a cost of $1500 and some of my time.
Battery is no more a concern than engine, motor/generators, transmission, or exhaust system. The catalyst will probably need replacement before that battery does.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:14 pm

As a side note - With a battery costing $4500 sounds like having the hybrid is a wash from a cost perspective if you are doing mostly city driving.

Assuming an average $3 per gallon price over the last 8 years.
Cost of Gas for 2008 Camry Hybrid @ 100,000 miles at 33 miles/gallon: $3*100,000/33 = $9091
Cost of Gas for 2008 Camry at 22 miles/gallon for 100,000 miles: $3*100000/22 = $13636
Difference in Gas expense: $13636-$9091 = $4545; Cost of battery $4500

With mostly highway the mileage on the non-hybrid mileage increases and you come out ahead without the hybrid. (I know - not about savings - you are saving the environment).

avalpert

Post by avalpert » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:20 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:As a side note - With a battery costing $4500 sounds like having the hybrid is a wash from a cost perspective if you are doing mostly city driving.

Cost of Gas for 2008 Camry Hybrid @ 100,000 miles at 33 miles/gallon: $3*100,000/33 = $9091
Cost of Gas for 2008 Camry at 22 miles/gallon for 100,000 miles: $3*100000/22 = $13636

With mostly highway the mileage on the non-hybrid mileage increases and you come out ahead without the hybrid. (I know - not about savings - you are saving the environment).

Now do the cost of other cars assuming all components magically break at the end of their warranties and you have to replace them all at dealer list price.

avalpert

Post by avalpert » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:26 pm

charleshugh wrote:I own a 2008 Camry Hybrid. It has 104,000 miles. The warranty covering the battery is 8 years or 100,000 miles. My car runs very well and is in excellent shape - no accidents and well-maintained.

The replacement cost for the battery is about $4,500. So I am wondering whether to chance keeping the car or is it time for a replacement? If there is a reasonable chance that the battery lasts for another 50,000 to 75,000 miles, I would rather keep it and save the money.

Thanks,
CH

I have an 04 and an 06 Prius - both over 120k one closing in on 140k and the hybrid batteries have given me no issues at all (and I'm not particularly diligent about maintenance intervals and service, have left them sitting for over 3 months while travelling etc.).

Also, you can get them replaced for much less than that - don't where you live but here is an example of costs from a shop in Houston: http://www.hometownhybrids.com/batteries/pricing-table

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:29 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:As a side note - With a battery costing $4500 sounds like having the hybrid is a wash from a cost perspective if you are doing mostly city driving.

Note that OP does not have to replace the battery at 100,000. If I'm reading it correctly, OP is at 104,000 with no sign of a problem. Also, I would bet the battery could be replaced for far less than $4500 if needed. So the inputs above are not correct.

I have a 2005 Prius with about 140,000 miles. Very little maintenance overall, and I have never replaced the battery.

nominalBob

Post by nominalBob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:47 pm

I'll add that when my Prius battery went bad it happened quickly. The first hint was about a month prior to the replacement. The regenerative breaking cut out unexpectedly and the battery state of charge went to 100%. I have never seen that gauge go to 100% before that. In the end it was undriveable. Near the end, one time, the regen breaking gave out and lit the MIL. The car went into limp home mode. Fortunately, restarting it cleared that mode. A year before all this, I checked the battery module charge balance with a scan tool and it looked pretty good. If the battery fails sooner than mine did, then it could be a bad cell. While that cell could be replaced, the replacement needs to be matched to the remaining good cells. That's what the rebuilders do, but you could DIY.
The fuel economy was not degraded until the very end either.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:34 pm

avalpert wrote:

Now do the cost of other cars assuming all components magically break at the end of their warranties and you have to replace them all at dealer list price.

I didn't even include the cost of the cars - I believe a similar Hybrid Camry is about $4K more compared to non-hybrid - This saving buys you your first 100,000 miles of gas.

[EDIT: I didn't meant to hi-jack this thread with a side-note that looks like it might turn into a side discussion so I won't continue to respond here. I also want to note that I wasn't trying to put down anyone's choices. Its just that I personally have looked into hybrids with each of my prior two car purchases - I personally don't like the size of the Prius/small-hybrids and every time I've done the math on other Hybrid's for normal sized cars I would buy I just don't see any savings]

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:10 pm

nominalBob wrote:I If the battery fails sooner than mine did, then it could be a bad cell. While that cell could be replaced, the replacement needs to be matched to the remaining good cells. That's what the rebuilders do, but you could DIY.

The challenge with the OP's car is that at 8 years old, all the cells are pretty tired. The Camry has a NiMH pack, which unlike Lithium they dont typically have charge controllers that monitor each cell individually. Its **probably** just charged as one big series bank an the cells naturally balance. If you put one brand new cell in a pack full of weak 8 year old cells that new one is going to get overcharged while the other cells catch up.

I dont own a hybrid but Ive studied a lot about batteries in other applications... 8 years is a long life for NiMH cells but the hybrids treat them very gentile (for example only using the middle 60% of capacity, never going to full charge or discharge) to get a lot more life out of them than a typical flashlight/camera NiMH. When it does start to go you should notice signs like a steadily decreasing range and the car taking longer to recharge.

slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:11 pm

avalpert wrote:I have an 04 and an 06 Prius - both over 120k one closing in on 140k and the hybrid batteries have given me no issues at all (and I'm not particularly diligent about maintenance intervals and service, have left them sitting for over 3 months while travelling etc.).

Also, you can get them replaced for much less than that - don't where you live but here is an example of costs from a shop in Houston: http://www.hometownhybrids.com/batteries/pricing-table

Thanks for that link. Good to know a resource around here.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:27 pm

jharkin wrote:When it does start to go you should notice signs like a steadily decreasing range and the car taking longer to recharge.

It's quite likely there won't be much to notice. This a hybrid not an EV. The computer control should adjust to deal with lower capacity, probably by cycling the engine a little more often. So unless the computer decides to throw a code most symptoms will be subtle, until it fails completely.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:34 pm

I've been wondering if anxiety about battery life might result in an inefficiency in the pricing of used hybrids.

In my area a 2013 Chevrolet Volt, coming off-lease, seems to regularly go for around $14,000 asking price. That's quite a depreciation hit.

avalpert

Post by avalpert » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
jharkin wrote:When it does start to go you should notice signs like a steadily decreasing range and the car taking longer to recharge.

It's quite likely there won't be much to notice. This a hybrid not an EV. The computer control should adjust to deal with lower capacity, probably by cycling the engine a little more often. So unless the computer decides to throw a code most symptoms will be subtle, until it fails completely.

The first noticeable symptom others have reported is that the hybrid battery doesn't hold charge well overnight - which can be seen by looking at the information provided through the on screen computer. Otherwise, yeah it usually just puts up warning signals and it usually is only a few cells and not the whole battery that is the issue.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:00 pm

Don't own a hybrid, only read about them, so admittedly could be wrong.

Option. Believe hybrid vehicles drive on ICE when battery is low, so keep the tank filled and keep driving it until your driving experience tells you the battery is shot (ICE runs all the time). Then replace battery (if you plan to keep vehicle), or trade vehicle and insist battery replacement cost is $1500 (research current price then) during trade negotiation.

So, expecting a graceful failure mode (you'll not be stranded on the roadside for this reason alone), there is no great need to replace your battery now.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

warner25

Post by warner25 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:19 pm

In some states the warranty actually goes out to 150k miles, so I think it is very reasonable to expect another 50k+ miles.

I have a Prius of identical age and mileage, and I have zero concerns about the battery. I think most failures are related to extremely hot climates and/or battery cooling fans getting clogged with dog hair, and those risks don't apply to me. I'm so happy with the car that I would definitely replace the battery if necessary (keeping the car for another 100-200K miles), but I would also expect to pay much less than a dealer sticker price of $4,500.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:20 pm

The best place to research this question further is over at Prius Chat.

The general sense I've gotten from the discussion I've read over there on battery replacement is a) Almost never before 150K miles; b) there are more options for replacement than getting a new factory one from the dealer (along the same lines, would you put new Toyota struts on the car if you needed them at 200K or would you go to Midas and pay half as much?).

My 2005 Prius is at 130K. I didn't have to replace the 12 volt until ~110K, much less having any issue with the hybrid battery.

avalpert

Post by avalpert » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:30 pm

dratkinson wrote:Don't own a hybrid, only read about them, so admittedly could be wrong.

Option. Believe hybrid vehicles drive on ICE when battery is low, so keep the tank filled and keep driving it until your driving experience tells you the battery is shot (ICE runs all the time). Then replace battery (if you plan to keep vehicle), or trade vehicle and insist battery replacement cost is $1500 (research current price then) during trade negotiation.

So, expecting a graceful failure mode (you'll not be stranded on the roadside for this reason alone), there is no great need to replace your battery now.

The Toyota hybrids cannot drive with a completely dead hybrid battery. It can drive for a short period without gas (but be sure not to deplete the battery completely if that happens).

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:07 pm

If my understanding is correct, isn't the prius ICE just a generator, providing charge to the batteries? It doesn't connect to drive the vehicle, does it?

I know the Honda CR-Z and Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid are hybrid assist. Either could drive without any battery. Of course, the CR-Z having the added advantage that it has a 6 speed manual transmission, making it the only hybrid vehicle with the option I'd require.......fun.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

avalpert

Post by avalpert » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:27 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:If my understanding is correct, isn't the prius ICE just a generator, providing charge to the batteries? It doesn't connect to drive the vehicle, does it?

I know the Honda CR-Z and Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid are hybrid assist. Either could drive without any battery. Of course, the CR-Z having the added advantage that it has a 6 speed manual transmission, making it the only hybrid vehicle with the option I'd require.......fun.

The Prius ICE does directly provide power to the wheels while at the same time charging the hybrid battery - it is a parallel/series system.

nominalBob

Post by nominalBob » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:55 am

jharkin wrote: The Camry has a NiMH pack, which unlike Lithium they dont typically have charge controllers that monitor each cell individually. ...
... When it does start to go you should notice signs like a steadily decreasing range and the car taking longer to recharge.

Each module containing 6 cells is monitored, but the whole battery is charged in series as you say. Gen 2 prius has 228 cells, Gen 3&4 has 168 cells, Camry has 204 cells.

Actually, it takes less time to recharge when the battery's capacity is reduced.
The noticeable symptom is the battery's state changes so fast that display can't keep up and will appear to behave erratically.

The DOE tested a 2007 Camry.
https://inldigitallibrary.inl.gov/sti/4460717.pdf
"1.5 Conclusion
Toyota Camry number 6330 experienced a 5.6% degradation in battery capacity and transitioned
from battery performance above DOE targets for all aspects of the HPPC test to battery performance
below DOE targets over the duration of 160,000 miles of accelerated durability testing"

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:08 am

charleshugh wrote:I own a 2008 Camry Hybrid. It has 104,000 miles. The warranty covering the battery is 8 years or 100,000 miles. My car runs very well and is in excellent shape - no accidents and well-maintained.

Thanks,
CH

If you go to sell your 2008 hybrid with the old battery wouldn't that effect the price you would get?

FYI - I though battery prices had come down. Is this a current quote for replacement? I have a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid and I recall lower prices being quoted when I was shopping for mine. I don't have enough miles on mine to give an opinion on battery life. (My commuting miles were drastically cut about 2 years after buying the hybrid).

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:23 am

avalpert wrote:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:If my understanding is correct, isn't the prius ICE just a generator, providing charge to the batteries? It doesn't connect to drive the vehicle, does it?

The Prius ICE does directly provide power to the wheels while at the same time charging the hybrid battery - it is a parallel/series system.

Yes, Jack is thinking of the Chevy volt and similar. Those are basically EVs with an onboard generator, conceptually the drivertrain is like a diesel electric train or submarine.

(and before somebody says "wait a diesel submarine can run the props from the diesel" I am thinking of an American type diesel sub, not a German U-Boat ;) )

Most hybrids have some provision for either the electric, the gas engine or both to drive the wheels. Some early hybrids like the first gen Honda Insight could not run on electric only.
Last edited by jharkin on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:26 am

nominalBob wrote:Each module containing 6 cells is monitored, but the whole battery is charged in series as you say. Gen 2 prius has 228 cells, Gen 3&4 has 168 cells, Camry has 204 cells.

Epsilon Delta wrote:It's quite likely there won't be much to notice. This a hybrid not an EV. The computer control should adjust to deal with lower capacity, probably by cycling the engine a little more often. So unless the computer decides to throw a code most symptoms will be subtle, until it fails completely.

Ok gotcha. I dont own a hybrid (yet, I imagine in a few years we all will:) ). I've had the chance to drive a couple owned by friends but both where plug in hybrids that had an EV only mode and corresponding miles to empty charge display.

Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:04 am

On the saving the environment part - many "hybrids" may not even be doing that. A Chevy Volt, for example, basically runs off of whatever the local utility does. If your grid is 75% coal powered, so is your hybrid.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks,
CH

Isn't the car about "totaled" if the battery replacement is that much?
My 2007 prius seems to be doing just fine... but I'm only at 68,000 miles.
With the strict battery management (very strict holding a state of charge between 50%-60%) I would imagine the batteries will last quite some time
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:14 am

Dutch wrote:I've been wondering if anxiety about battery life might result in an inefficiency in the pricing of used hybrids.

In my area a 2013 Chevrolet Volt, coming off-lease, seems to regularly go for around $14,000 asking price. That's quite a depreciation hit.

The depreciation hit on used EVs like Volt, Leaf are more due to anticipated improvements in battery tech with newer models than 'anxiety about battery life'. However, used Teslas don't have a big depreciation (yet) due to their perceived (and proven) ability to be upgradeable either with OTA software updates or even a battery swap out.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:33 am

I wouldn't worry about it. The Toyota hybrid system is very reliable, you'll be bored with the Camry before the battery quits on you :D

bradhanks

Post by bradhanks » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:24 pm

I own a 2008 Toyota Hybrid and here's what I figure in terms of battery replacement cost. With the Tesla Gigafactory we are going to see the cost of all battery plummet in the near future. The Model 3 battery Is going to be something like 60 kWh. Now compare that to the Toyota Camry Hybrid which comes in at a whopping 1.6 kWh.

You can calculate the kWh by multiplying the amp hours (6.5) by the number of volts (~245) and then divide that by 1000.

I'm actually wondering if you could go all electric with a serious battery upgrade. 190 ft lbs of torque isn't much for a full-size sedan but it's enough to get around town alright.

Thoughts?
Wants to be the first to convert a Toyota Camry Hybrid to fully electric.

aerofreaky11

Post by aerofreaky11 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:28 pm

A post bought back from the dead... 08 Prius owner... 195k. Knock on wood, still giving me a steady 51mpg city/Hwy

ulvazell

Post by ulvazell » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:06 pm

DaftInvestor wrote: With mostly highway the mileage on the non-hybrid mileage increases and you come out ahead without the hybrid. (I know - not about savings - you are saving the environment).
Hah! Google "lithium mines" and let's talk about "saving the environment"...

bradhanks

Post by bradhanks » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:12 pm

ulvazell wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote: With mostly highway the mileage on the non-hybrid mileage increases and you come out ahead without the hybrid. (I know - not about savings - you are saving the environment).
Oh, no. Mine will be made with recycled Lithium from old cell phones. ;)

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:20 am

ulvazell wrote:
I neither own a hybrid nor take a side in this debate but note that googling "lithium mines" provides links to both sides of the debate. For example - one of the top results I got was a telsacentral link trying to debunk the story entirely.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... gw&ampcf=1

Personally - I still wonder where all the dead batteries will really end up.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:21 am

ulvazell wrote:
Every technology has its cost. While you are obsessing over the impact of lithium mines you should also google "Alberta Tar Sands"

keaton

Post by keaton » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:37 am

nominalBob wrote:I've a 2001 Prius. Replaced the battery with a rebuilt one in 2015 at 198k miles at a cost of $1500 and some of my time.
Battery is no more a concern than engine, motor/generators, transmission, or exhaust system. The catalyst will probably need replacement before that battery does.
That's not correct in my opinion. Batteries have a completely different life cycle then mechanical items like you state. Also, the catalytic converters last a very long time and of all my years of working on cars and owning dozens l, have never seen one needing to be replaced. They VERY rarely go bad.

To the OP, I wouldn't be all that concerned with those low miles.

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:47 am

One data point: Our 2008 Camry hybrid shows zero signs of battery problems at 134K miles. It has been the lowest cost to operate vehicle we have ever owned. Side note: it is still on the original brake pads, whereas our other vehicles typically need new pads at 50-60K miles. I would buy another Toyota hybrid product with no reservations.

bradhanks

Post by bradhanks » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:08 am

I'm at 60k because I bought it from a little old lady that just went to the store and back and I have a 10 minute commute. ;)

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:28 am

jharkin wrote:
ulvazell wrote:
Every technology has its cost. While you are obsessing over the impact of lithium mines you should also google "Alberta Tar Sands"
And "Oklahoma earthquakes"

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Our 2006 Prius, bought used at 100k miles, went to 146K miles before needing a battery recently. She likes the car, so the battery replacement is just part of the maintenance cost on what we choose to own.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:59 pm

2009 camry hybrid, no issues at all. It's insane to think about replacing the batteries so soon.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:27 pm

Our Prius is 2006 at 165k miles battery seems fine.
I am thinking there were not that many hybrid Camry's on the road by 2008, compared to Prius.
So actual experience with 2008 Camry hybrid in online discussions is probably limited, I think there is some hearsay not quite as good reliability on battery as Prius.

PriusChat we have very few reports of 2008 Prius batt fails, if any they are just starting to appear now. One main indicator is hot climate tends to be bad. If this was PriusChat we'd ask what state you are for climate and warranty purposes and to see if I agree with your state's non-CARB status. we tend to think some of the batteries last life of vehicle, while some % die maybe 10-20% up to model year 2007. Toyota is not saying what their bat life data shows, so nobody really knows, but we do know some % die staring around 8-10 year mark.

If it was a Prius I'd tell you keep it based on your stated requirements, unless you think the battery has seem a lot of hot climate. Another thing you do not want to do is run down the hybrid battery, which Gen2 Prius allowed to happen eg; if you ran out of gas. I don't know if they fixed that issue in Camry. Later Prii do not allow the hybrid batt to discharge fully.