Window replacement - any advice? Lessons learned?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dundee

Window replacement - any advice? Lessons learned?

Post by dundee » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:46 am

Dear Bogleheads:

I live in the Northeast. My house and windows are 40 years old. The windows are overdue for replacement. I am in the process of getting quotes from Anderson Renewal and Pella. There are about a dozen windows of various sizes. I was wondering if you have replaced windows in your house, is there any words of advice or lessons learned that you can share with me?

Some of the questions I have are:
1. When I get a quote, is it negotiable? Is it a bit like buying a car?
2. Should I be looking for a particular type of window?
3. Are there any other brands than Pella or Anderson which are good but less expensive?
4. Does anybody have experience with Home Depot or Lowe's in windows replacement? I will need to pay somebody replace them for me.

I would really appreciate your advice. This is probably going to be expensive (and my first time replacing windows), so, I want to learn the lessons others may have learned in the past.

Thank you.

Conch55

Re: Window replacement - any advice? Lessons learned?

Post by Conch55 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:59 am

We replaced our standard builder grade windows with Andersen Renewal back in 2001/2002. They were expensive and I don't know that I'd choose them again but overall have not had any significant problems. Our energy savings touted by the sales person are less than estimated. They have been maintenance free although overall but we have had a few issues, all covered by the warranty. The quote we received was not negotiable. I think Pella was a bit more though so we went with Andersen. There are a number of cheaper windows companies in my area and many neighbors have used them. I'd say the installation is the most important consideration.

Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:04 am

Anderson Renewal are over the top expensive. They will spend an hour with you and show you this heat loss infra-red magic trick by holding this gun like thing up to a pane of their glass and one of the windows you already have in the house so you can see the difference in the energy loss.

However, my neighbor had an Anderson door piece break that was 20 years old and they replaced the piece free of charge.

They are high quality. If you plan on living in the house a long time, go with it. Pella is also good.

We hired Lowes installers to put in our new Therma-tru doors and they did a substandard job. I would not go with Lowes or Home Depot.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:08 am

I am wondering why 40 year old windows are overdue for replacement. Are they failing in some way? Most energy experts I've talked with say that window replacement is almost never cost effective as an energy saving investment.
De gustibus non est disputandum

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:11 am

The installation is very important to the energy benefits and longevity of the windows. A good Low-E window with a very good install will service you well. Beyond that you need to determine whether you want a maintenance free window, if so go with vinyl or a wood look if so go with clad exterior.

There are a multitude of choices but in my mind it basically comes down to buying either vinyl or wood clad and getting a very good installer.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

dundee

Post by dundee » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:15 am

cadreamer2015:

The windows are not closing properly. Some of the frames have come loose. We don't have energy loss because we seal them well, but, overall it is pretty clear that something needs to be done about them.

Thanks.

JPH

Post by JPH » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:36 am

I replaced my windows with Renewal by Anderson in 2009. The cost was high: $6,500, but they have performed perfectly. Our old windows were in very bad shape, with some rotten wood, which they replaced as part of the job. The larger sliding windows are very heavy. The savings on energy are a lot less than I expected. They advertised a sort of "self-cleaning" outside surface treatment on the glass, which does not seem to work at all. I also like the screens very much. I did not get the impression that the quoted price was negotiable, but the contractor that installed the windows also installed new siding, and gave us several discounts and rebates. We got a quote from Pella, which I think was a little higher. I liked the look of the Anderson a lot more.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

southbay

Post by southbay » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:32 am

Riverstwo wrote:Anderson Renewal are over the top expensive. They will spend an hour with you and show you this heat loss infra-red magic trick by holding this gun like thing up to a pane of their glass and one of the windows you already have in the house so you can see the difference in the energy loss.

However, my neighbor had an Anderson door piece break that was 20 years old and they replaced the piece free of charge.

They are high quality. If you plan on living in the house a long time, go with it. Pella is also good.

We hired Lowes installers to put in our new Therma-tru doors and they did a substandard job. I would not go with Lowes or Home Depot.

The heat gun trick works on most modern double pane windows.

southbay

Post by southbay » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:34 am

cadreamer2015 wrote:I am wondering why 40 year old windows are overdue for replacement. Are they failing in some way? Most energy experts I've talked with say that window replacement is almost never cost effective as an energy saving investment.

Energy saving is just 1 benefit of many.

mengo

Post by mengo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:53 am

I live in the SE, and bought from a smaller regional company through a highly recommended reseller/installer. It was much cheaper than the big window companies, but everything is good quality, and the lifetime warranty is transferable one time. They were more expensive than big box stores, but...

In an older home you may need to think about lead paint and testing requirements and potential extra costs of EPA requirements. My local company had an easy solution to not test, since i do not want to know if we have lead..i just assume it. So they just took the necessary precautions by sealing windows on inside with plastic sheeting and installing new windows from outside. Post installation testing for lead paint among any dust on the inside was negative. Note, the actual paint was not tested. This was cheap and greatly reduced dust and a mess inside. Other companies were trying to overcharge for the lead paint safety protocols.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:56 am

Riverstwo wrote:We hired Lowes installers to put in our new Therma-tru doors and they did a substandard job. I would not go with Lowes or Home Depot.

Stay far away from Lowe's installers. Months long story of mess omitted.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:57 am

cadreamer2015 wrote:I am wondering why 40 year old windows are overdue for replacement. Are they failing in some way? Most energy experts I've talked with say that window replacement is almost never cost effective as an energy saving investment.

+1 Some of the windows in my house are over a hundred years old. I just glazed and repainted most of them last year and they are still in great condition.

The window replacement industry is a master of marketing scare tactics. They are expert at selling you expensive new windows that:
* Most likely will never pay back their install cost in energy savings
* Most likely are not as well made in terms of materials and joinery as your existing windows
* Most likely are not reparable/maintainable, thus locking you into a cycle of replacements every 20-30 years when they break

If you have traditional wood windows over 40 years old you can usually repair them with common parts available in any good hardware store, and by adding a good quality storm window achieve 80% the energy efficiency of modern windows at 20% the cost.

Lots of reading on windows... Most of this is concerning antique houses older than yours, but some of the basic arguments apply even to a 40 year old house:
http://www.doublehungwindowrestoration. ... ndows.html
http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/pages/1054/file ... canada.pdf
https://www.cityofboston.gov/images_doc ... -17740.pdf
https://www.cityofboston.gov/images_doc ... -17741.pdf
https://books.google.com/books?id=QgjsmnmhcnsC

http://thecraftsmanblog.com/replacement ... eal-story/
http://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-va ... nyl?y=2014
Last edited by jharkin on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:15 am

I replaced my windows last summer with Okna windows. I had 4 local installers out for quotes and didn't even contact Andersen or Pella. In addition to windows (22 I think) I also did a sliding glass door, front door, storm door, and shutters. All through the same company, all installed at the same time. There really isn't much room for negotiating other than perhaps rounding the quote down to an increment of $100.

jpkuva

Post by jpkuva » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:19 am

We also selected Okna for whole house window replacement. We chose the 800 series which is their top of the line model. Okna is considered to be on the shortlist of top replacement brands. I would strongly encourage to look beyond Pella and Andersen.

The project was not cheap, but our builder grade windows were terrible. The house is considerably more comfortable and quiet. As it's summer, we notice the heat gain experienced is so much less compared to the old windows - which were around 15 years old.

Make sure you research your installer.

Good luck.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:27 am

I would go with quality windows. Anderson makes different grade windows (I assume Pella does too). You may find a better price point with a different grade. I have found all Anderson products to be good.

Installation is extremely important. A poor installation will negate the fact you are buying quality windows. I would not use either Lowes or Home Depot for installation. The people they use are typically not the best because they pay them a lot less than the quality installers. You need to make sure you get a quality installer and it is worth paying extra to get a good one.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:37 am

OP,
I too live in the Northeast. I have a contractor I like and trust and he has done a lot of work for us. When we decided to replace our windows his recommendation was to use Harvey windows and after doing some digging/research/etc. that is what we went with. Why Harvey? Solid brand and better value for the dollar as compared to Anderson/Pella. If you don't mind spending top dollar for what might amount to slightly better quality then perhaps stick with Anderson - but Harvey windows are high-quality and cost less.
I would stay away from using Home Depot or Lowes for installation - you might get a GREAT installer or a poor installer depending upon who they select for you. I would research contractors in your area to do this for you directly (from personal referrals from friends and neighbors).
To answer your questions:
1) If working with a contractor - yes. If working with big box stores maybe.
2) Since you are in the Northeast the energy efficiency ratings are important. Also - something we researched was how much glass would be showing (our neighbors used replacement windows that look ridiculous - huge frames). There are also different types of screens and which type of look you want. We ended up using new-construction Harvey windows and NOT replacement Harvey Windows even though it cost us slightly more.
3) Harvey
4) I don't have experience myself but the issue I've heard is you just don't know who they will give the contract too. You might end up with a good installer or a not-so-good installer.

daveatca

Do more research

Post by daveatca » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:55 pm

1. Replaced all the windows in a house in Massachusetts with top-of-the-line Pella. The original windows were steel casement, single pane of glass.Very happy with the decision. Excellent quality. Pella has great brand ranking.

2. Replaced all the windows in a house in Colorado with Peachtree. I wanted to save some money vs Pella. Not happy. Peachtree went out of business. Quality was less. The original windows were double hung wood from 1926.

3. Now live in a newer build house (2011). Vinyl windows from Amerimax. So far, very happy. Good U-value. No air leakage. Have become a big fan of high-quality vinyl if the building (i.e., the headers) is designed properly.

4. If I were building a new house and money was not an issue, I would probably go with tilt-and-turn designs. Pella or Marvin.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:43 pm

No doubt Andersen is expensive compared to some other options.

Story: The main level of my house has original 1950s era Andersen insulated glass units. A turkey broke one of the windows. I was able to order a factory new sill unit from Andersen for $2xx, shipped direct from the factory in a week, that came primed and took about an hour to replace.

Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:53 pm

Replaced all my windows last year. Doing the research and making the choices was very time-consuming, and rather stressful. But the results were totally worth it. Your questions:
1. When I get a quote, is it negotiable? Is it a bit like buying a car?
2. Should I be looking for a particular type of window?
3. Are there any other brands than Pella or Anderson which are good but less expensive?
4. Does anybody have experience with Home Depot or Lowe's in windows replacement? I will need to pay somebody replace them for me.

1. I interviewed 4 different companies. Yes, negotiation is possible.
2. Some will advise you to choose your windows first---then choose your installer. I found this to be good advice.
3. I chose Sunrise Windows. Might not be available in your area. http://www.sunrisewindows.com/
4. After I chose the windows, I called the regional rep for a list of installers to consider. You want a window company or builder.

The web site that helped me every step of the way was http://www.replacement-windows.com/windowbb/. It's kind of like "Bogleheads for Replacement Windows". :)

wolingfeng

Post by wolingfeng » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:25 pm

We recently replaced a bunch of windows in our house last year. Yes, everything is negotiable. Make sure you get at least 3-4 quotes before making any decisions. Some sales people will come in and tell you how great their products are for 2 hours and then say, if you sign the contract today, we will give you this and this deal. Don't fall for that. I normally exclude that type of business immediately. And also "Anderson Renewal" is probably one of the most expensive one out there. I don't know how good of their windows are. But unless cost is not an issue, I would avoid them. There are many windows manufactures out there besides the big brands. Some of them are local as well and they could be as good.

You also have to decide what types of windows you like. Most nowadays just choose vinyl. Again sales people might say they look bulky etc. I got mine vinyl and they look nice and are energy efficient. Wood windows are a lot more expensive, but depending on your house, wood always has a special charm to it.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:32 pm

We used our usual contractor, who, after looking at all the brands, picked some high end Jeld-Wen windows. The reasons were much cheaper for similar quality to the big names, and the distributor was easy to work with. We've been happy.

We had one window that had to be replaced under warranty, which was a complete non-issue. We called the contractor, the contractor called the distributor, the distributer ordered a new window, about 2 weeks later a large box landed on our porch, and the contractor came out and installed it.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Carefully consider the installer you're using for your windows. Andersen, for example, does make some very good products (at a price) but don't just assume that they're the best choice for installing.

dundee wrote:When I get a quote, is it negotiable? Is it a bit like buying a car?

Generally yes. Ask and see. Shop around as well.

dundee wrote:Does anybody have experience with Home Depot or Lowe's in windows replacement?

It's luck of the draw with either of them as they're not both using one single contractor with totally consistent service throughout the entire country. You might get a good installer, you might not. You'll have no idea until the work is done.

Do your research and find your own installer so you know who is doing the install -- not just for windows but for anything.

Energy is one consideration but not the only one. We recently replaced our windows and our home is about 30 years old. The builder used the cheapest possible options. Our new windows are not only much more energy efficient but provide significantly better soundproofing as well. The new windows work better and have features that were not avialable on the older windows that make operation and cleaning much easier and more enjoyable.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:03 pm

As some have mentioned, installation is key. Better a budget window properly installed than a high end one on that is installed poorly. Make sure that attention to detail is followed, examples: Proper flashing of the window to resist water infiltration. Filling the void between the window frame and the wood framed opening it sits in to give the best seal possible against air leakage and heat transfer. These are things you'll never see after the job is finished and looking spiffy but can come back to bite you later.

Feb29

Post by Feb29 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:04 pm

I had 29 casement windows replaced in 2008 by Renewal by Anderson. I wanted a no-maintenance high quality composite material inside and out so I considered Marvin and Anderson. Marvin's bid was 30K, Anderson's bid was discounted by 5K to 25K. So I went with Anderson.

The installation was top-notch, and that included rebuilding a set of 4 bay windows. A couple of the cranking mechanisms went bad, but Anderson fixed them promptly. Although that was a huge expense, I am very happy with the look and performance of the windows. Anderson always seems to have discount programs going on.

dundee

Post by dundee » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:06 pm

Thank you everybody for your valuable feedback. I feel much better informed now.

rpl3000

Post by rpl3000 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:45 pm

dundee wrote:cadreamer2015:

The windows are not closing properly. Some of the frames have come loose. We don't have energy loss because we seal them well, but, overall it is pretty clear that something needs to be done about them.

Thanks.

My comment will likely fly out the window. People get in the mindset that something needs to go/ get replaced and that's that.

It's likely you could repair whatever damage you have with a fraction of any of the quotes you received. Do yourself a favor and find a window expert and get a repair quote too. A loose frame seems like a simple fix to me.

I hardly comment here on money stuff, but I know diy nuts and bolts type things.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:57 pm

I'd consider hiring a good carpenter to do it and see what their recommendation is on brand. Mine charges a flat $50/hour. Not cheap, but he's very good.

Window installation companies seem a bit scammy to me.

I did some minor refurbishment and put only new storm windows in my 55 year old house. It made a world of difference and was very reasonable.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:46 pm

We replaced windows and doors when needed. Our house is 38 years old. I had good experience with Home Depot replacing the garage doors, two storm doors and the back door, so I asked them 3 years ago to replace 4 windows with their top brand. Everything went fine, no complaints. We replaced 2 windows because their wood frames had some rot. One other window was deformed by a window air conditioner hanging on it - now we have central air. One side of our house has all of their windows replaced. We will proceed with more windows when needed, others have no defects.

We did not like to get an estimate from Anderson, because they insisted to have their designer also come to the presentation, and my wife be present. We only needed to have 4 windows replaced and they wanted to sell windows for the whole house. I like to stay in control.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:29 am

Have you looked at Milguard windows? They have excellent repair/replacement warranty.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:28 am

rpl3000 wrote:My comment will likely fly out the window. People get in the mindset that something needs to go/ get replaced and that's that.

It's likely you could repair whatever damage you have with a fraction of any of the quotes you received. Do yourself a favor and find a window expert and get a repair quote too. A loose frame seems like a simple fix to me.

I hardly comment here on money stuff, but I know diy nuts and bolts type things.

Agreed, and even significant damage can usually be repaired at less cost than new (historic restoration folks fix old windows all the time) but window industry marketing is so good its hard to convince people that replacement every 20 years is not better. I doubt anyone even read the link I posted up thread....

rpl3000

Post by rpl3000 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:22 pm

jharkin wrote:
rpl3000 wrote:My comment will likely fly out the window. People get in the mindset that something needs to go/ get replaced and that's that.

Agreed, and even significant damage can usually be repaired at less cost than new (historic restoration folks fix old windows all the time) but window industry marketing is so good its hard to convince people that replacement every 20 years is not better. I doubt anyone even read the link I posted up thread....

I read it!

saltlife98

Post by saltlife98 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:14 pm

Check out Andersen 100 windows at Home Depot. Essentially a single hung version of Andersen Renewal. HD list price for 100's is lower than most dealers. They also run an Andersen 15% discount every couple of months. Plus, if your HD order is big enough, go to the Pro Desk and they will review your order with HQ and very likely offer up another discount. Our initial bid for 45 windows/installation from Andersen Renewal was $75K. HD quote for all windows (material only) was $17K. The trickiest part is finding a dependable contractor that will do a good job of installing them for you. Good luck.

rockylou

Post by rockylou » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:15 am

We replaced all of our windows several years ago (29 windows) in our Maine home with Paradigm windows and couldn't be happier. We looked at Andersen, Pella etc. Paradigm are made in Maine and are actually in the building on top of Mt Washington

whatever

Post by whatever » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 am

One thing to consider is with replacement windows, you will have less glass area when compared to new construction windows. The replacement window has it's own frame and it fits in the original window's frame, this results in a double frame and therefore less glass. Depending on window sizes and frame thicknesses you could end up with a 10 to 15% reduction in light and viewable area. If you decide on a replacement window find out what the size of the glass is, put masking tape on your current window to simulate the smaller glass area and see if that is acceptable.

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:47 am

We replaced all 20 windows in our home last year. It was $11,000 total. We went with a well-regarded family-owned local company, and used a brand called Ideal (Majestic series), out of New Jersey I think. The family-owned company did a great job. We got the kind with the dividers inside the glass, and they've vinyl. They didn't need to disturb the trim inside or out. Pocket replacement windows I think they're called(?). Very happy with the job. Also had a nice Provia storm door put on as well. Love it

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:00 am

[deleted - forgot i already replied upthread]
Last edited by jharkin on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:09 am

whatever wrote:One thing to consider is with replacement windows, you will have less glass area when compared to new construction windows. The replacement window has it's own frame and it fits in the original window's frame, this results in a double frame and therefore less glass. Depending on window sizes and frame thicknesses you could end up with a 10 to 15% reduction in light and viewable area. If you decide on a replacement window find out what the size of the glass is, put masking tape on your current window to simulate the smaller glass area and see if that is acceptable.

Where did you get that idea? If somebody installed a window in your house like that they didn't know what they where dong.

Replacements come in a few different varieties:

There are sash packs where the existing sash and tracks are removed and replaced but the existing jambs retained. (double hung only)
There are pre-hung full replacements. The entire frame of the existing window is cut out and replaced.

I've never heard of a competent contractor fitting a frame inside a frame....

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:22 am

We had 6 windows replaced. We went with Home Depot because they installed front storm door and garage door perfectly, and we buy appliances there. We like the quality and installation provided by HD. We did not go with Anderson because the local installer wanted to bring in even a designer for a presentation to replace the first 4 windows. In our area Anderson has full page newspaper adds continuously, so they must be very overpriced. I hate sales presentations, they probably wanted to do 25 windows, and all our old other windows are high quality and working. Home Depot did a poor installation of the rear entrance door with the storm door already rusting at 4 years old - old ones never rusted.

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:53 am

jharkin wrote:
whatever wrote:One thing to consider is with replacement windows, you will have less glass area when compared to new construction windows. The replacement window has it's own frame and it fits in the original window's frame, this results in a double frame and therefore less glass. Depending on window sizes and frame thicknesses you could end up with a 10 to 15% reduction in light and viewable area. If you decide on a replacement window find out what the size of the glass is, put masking tape on your current window to simulate the smaller glass area and see if that is acceptable.

Where did you get that idea? If somebody installed a window in your house like that they didn't know what they where dong.

There are sash packs where the existing sash and tracks are removed and replaced but the existing jambs retained. (double hung only)
There are pre-hung full replacements. The entire frame of the existing window is cut out and replaced.

It's common in my area for double hungs. Replacement windows are made to 1/8 of an inch and fit inside the jambs, basically replacing the sashes. Install cost is minimal but the window cost is huge. Typical cost is $500+/window installed for some of the above mentioned brands.

I'd also price cost to remove and replace existing window and trim. While install cost will be more, if the window is a standard size overall cost can be cheaper. Especially if the owner is willing and able to do some things like painting.

brennok

Post by brennok » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:21 pm

I found this to be a very good read when I started looking. Ultimately I ended up putting it off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovemen ... re_i_have/

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:02 am

One thing to watch out for is that some replacement windows may have larger frames around the edges which will reduce the number of square inches of glass. If the new window have the grid in them to make them look like smaller window panes the grid will reduce the number of square inches of exposed glass too.

If the room was not getting a lot of light to start with this can make the room somewhat darker.

Nutshell

Post by Nutshell » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:18 am

After a hailstorm in 2011, we started replacing our windows with Pella aluminum clad wood windows. Insurance paid for 7. We selected a line that they always carry and have been able to replace the entire house a few windows at a time, as cash flow allowed. We are considering building in a few years and will use Pella again.

teen persuasion

Post by teen persuasion » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 pm

jharkin wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:09 am

Insert vs full frame replacement. Insert is much easier and cleaner (no need to remove trim, but you are putting a frame inside a frame. A previous owner did vinyl inserts on all the windows in our c. 1840s house and they just look wrong.

See picture comparisons here http://blog.sunrisewindows.com/the-numb ... nt-windows

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:34 pm

teen persuasion wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 pm
jharkin wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:09 am

Insert vs full frame replacement. Insert is much easier and cleaner (no need to remove trim, but you are putting a frame inside a frame. A previous owner did vinyl inserts on all the windows in our c. 1840s house and they just look wrong.

See picture comparisons here http://blog.sunrisewindows.com/the-numb ... nt-windows
You also run the risk of turning an egress bedroom window into one that does not meet code because it is a few inches smaller.