Recommendations for Dallas BBQ/TexMex Restaurants

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Miriam2

Recommendations for Dallas BBQ/TexMex Restaurants

Post by Miriam2 »

We're traveling to Texas (first time ever!) and have an appetite for good Texas BBQ and Tex Mex food :D
Any recommendations in the Downtown Dallas, Plano and McKinney areas?
livesoft

Re: Recommendations for Dallas BBQ/TexMex Restaurants

Post by livesoft »

Such places are a dime-a-dozen and most are very good. Last one I ate at in that area was Blue Goose Cantina.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
canderson

Post by canderson »

Barbecue: Pecan Lodge
Tex-Mex: Herrera's, Avila's, Manny's Uptown.

/end discussion :)
fm3040

Post by fm3040 »

Hard Eight for barbecue
ND Fan 1

Post by ND Fan 1 »

fm3040 wrote:Hard Eight for barbecue
I second this Hard Eight in Coppell, best BBQ I ever had. If you make it out to Fort Worth, try Railhead
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Rudy's BBQ
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Don't miss a chance to stop at a Pappasito's if you see one.
birdy

Post by birdy »

For Tex Mex on the (upscale side but no dressing up) our favorite is:
Uncle Julio's
Dallas North Tollway at Keller Springs Road (on the way north to Plano/Frisco/McKinney)
16150 Dallas Parkway
Dallas, TX 75248
972)380-0100
They make their own flour tortillas. My fav is the sour cream chicken enchiladas. Tex Mex is very easy to find here and it seems every Texan has their own "favorite" place. All the above suggestions are also good ones!
Be sure to bring your shorts and tank tops---it is getting warm here!

birdy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Thank you everyone for all the good recommendations!
birdy wrote:Be sure to bring your shorts and tank tops---it is getting warm here!
Hmm - today it was 88 in South Florida, humidity 84%, and my IPhone right now says it "feels like 96 degrees" - and it's 10:30 pm :shock:
Mintee

Post by Mintee »

Hutchins is also excellent. There's one in Dallas, Frisco and McKinney.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Uncle Julio's is my favorite Texmex restaurant. They have several locations.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

birdy wrote:For Tex Mex on the (upscale side but no dressing up) our favorite is:
Uncle Julio's
Dallas North Tollway at Keller Springs Road (on the way north to Plano/Frisco/McKinney)
16150 Dallas Parkway
Dallas, TX 75248
972)380-0100
They make their own flour tortillas. My fav is the sour cream chicken enchiladas. Tex Mex is very easy to find here and it seems every Texan has their own "favorite" place. All the above suggestions are also good ones!

birdy
+1, I was thinking of making the same recommendation. If you are looking for a little more upscale Catina Laredo or Mi Cocina might work for you.
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Pappasito's and order extra butter sauce!
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

TheTimeLord wrote:
birdy wrote:For Tex Mex on the (upscale side but no dressing up) our favorite is:
Uncle Julio's
16150 Dallas Parkway
Dallas, TX 75248
972)380-0100

birdy
+1, I was thinking of making the same recommendation. If you are looking for a little more upscale Catina Laredo or Mi Cocina might work for you.
+1 for Uncle Julio's.

However, better Mexican food can be had in San Diego, Tucson and Las Cruces.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

HueyLD wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
Uncle Julio's
16150 Dallas Parkway
Dallas, TX 75248
972)380-0100

birdy
+1 for Uncle Julio's.

However, better Mexican food can be had in San Diego, Tucson and Las Cruces.
I would like to stipulate that there is indeed a difference in Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican food and they have distinct differences.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

HueyLD wrote:However, better Mexican food can be had in San Diego, Tucson and Las Cruces.
theTime Lord wrote:I would like to stipulate that there is indeed a difference in Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican food and they have distinct differences.
My thought was that when in Rome . . . and since we're going to Texas . . .
The best Mexican food I've ever had was in Mexico City and California years ago, but I've never had real TexMex. And I've been told that South Florida BBQ just isn't Texas. :D
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

In the spirit of Tex-Mex, do try Uncle Julio's. I used to visit Uncle Julio's whenever I traveled to the DFW area for business. Here is their menu: http://www.unclejulios.com/menu/
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I've eaten in most of the restaurants mentioned in this thread. I think that in the Dallas area any bad restaurants will go out of business because of the competition, so that it really won't matter which restaurant you go to as long as it is not brand new. Thus, there is no way that I would go out of my way to get to a TexMex or BBQ restaurant in that area.

Any thoughts of just trying one that you see even if not mentioned in this thread? I think you will be fine.

And their menus will all be the same, too, so if you look at the Uncle Julio's menu just linked, all the TexMex restaurants will have the same items.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ND Fan 1 wrote:
fm3040 wrote:Hard Eight for barbecue
I second this Hard Eight in Coppell, best BBQ I ever had. If you make it out to Fort Worth, try Railhead
I'll third this. Arguably (Franklin's is darn good) the best BBQ I've ever had as well. So much better than a few much more famous places around Texas (ie. Salt Lick in Austin).
MindTheGAAP

Post by MindTheGAAP »

If you're in the Bishop Arts district near downtown Dallas then Lockhart's is phenomenal BBQ. We just ate there for the first time and both my wife and I agreed that the meats were better than Hard Eight BUT the Hard Eight sides were better. Overall? Both fantastic. We love Hard Eight, too - there's now one in The Colony which is closer than the one in Coppell (when looking at it from Plano/McKinney).

Not Tex-Mex or BBQ but I strongly recommend Rick's Chophouse in Downtown McKinney (on the square). Absolutely fantastic food and one of our favourites. The square itself is very nice to walk around, too.

We personally prefer Gloria's over Uncle Julio's - they just opened up a place called Wild Salsa in Allen (between Plano and McKinney) that is really great. Some of the best Tex-Mex I've ever had.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I'm not a Dallas expert, and Tex-Mex is not the same as Mexican, but try Matt's Rancho Martinez. It's the one of the few Dallas restaurants I know, but we go there every time we are in town.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

Riscky's BBQ in the stockyard area of Fort Worth is one I remember as being very good. I think they have more than one location in the area.
OldOne

Post by OldOne »

Taco Bell is as good as anything there. If you want upscale MexTex, try Taco Cabana.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I eat out several times a week for work (sales)

Mia's on Lemmon is the best tex-mex (think brisket tacos). Uncle Julios is a long way down the list.

Pecan Lodge is the best bbq, but Hard 8 is also tasty.

The bbq isn't even up for debate. There are a few tex-mex places that are close to Mia's. Mi Cocina is an upscale copy if the original Mia's family. Avila's (earlier mentioned) is good. Blue Goose is just ok but has a great atmosphere.

Pappasitos is a different kind of tex-mex, famous for their fajitas. They are my second favorite.
birdy

Post by birdy »

That's a good one OldOne!!! Growing up in Vancouver Washington, the only kind of Mexican food you could find was Taco Bell! When I moved to Dallas I discovered all the tasty choices of "real" TexMex! Margaritas are great to!!!!

birdy
zag00

Post by zag00 »

Subscribed.
Just moved tomthe DFW area so appreciate the suggestions.
Ive tried Anamia's (spicy guac made at your table) in Coppell and Cristinas in Lewisville, both had plus and minuses but overall quite good.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

OldOne wrote:Taco Bell is as good as anything there. If you want upscale MexTex, try Taco Cabana.
Ha HA -...the above I would not feed to my dog.

For non chain great BBQ ribs I'd suggest the Feed Store in Southlake.

I'd stay away from the fancy places for Tex-Mex. For truly authentic Tex-Mex I'd suggest one of the El Paisa locations. You'll know you found the right place in DFW for Tex-Mex when the restaurant parking lot is 1/2 full of landscaper trucks.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

TheTimeLord wrote:Rudy's BBQ
What? You are recommending chain BBQ to a tourist? I happen to believe that it is the best chain BBQ place that I've ever been to, but it is still chain BBQ.

Pecan Lodge, Lockhart and Slow Bone appear in every top-5 Dallas BBQ list. Try one of those.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

We miss the Tex Mex in Dallas ! Uncle Julio's was my favorite. Papasito's, Don Pablo's are good too. They are all good ! They have to be to survive in Dallas.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I had Mia's for lunch. Yumm!
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Go to any Texas BBQ joint and take an order from Neely's in Memphis and enjoy some real, pork BBQ from the home of the World Championship BBQ contest. :happy
However, if you like brisket, go with one of the recommendations posted by others! Either way, you can't go wrong!

Tim
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Luke Duke wrote:
What? You are recommending chain BBQ to a tourist? I happen to believe that it is the best chain BBQ place that I've ever been to, but it is still chain BBQ.

Pecan Lodge, Lockhart and Slow Bone appear in every top-5 Dallas BBQ list. Try one of those.
Because it is a stones throw from McKinney or Plano. To be honest sort of surprised no one has thrown Babe's Fried Chicken out as an alternative. FWIW, isn't Hard Eight a chain also?
MindTheGAAP

Post by MindTheGAAP »

TheTimeLord wrote:
Luke Duke wrote:
Because it is a stones throw from McKinney or Plano. To be honest sort of surprised no one has thrown Babe's Fried Chicken out as an alternative. FWIW, isn't Hard Eight a chain also?
Technically it's a chain since there are a whopping FOUR locations (Coppell, The Colony, Stephenville, Roanoke) but nothing like on the same level as Rudy's.

Babe's Chicken is a fantastic suggestion. Great shout there.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
furikake

Post by furikake »

No one mentioned Spring Creek BBQ?! We don't like Lockhart at all, it's one of the worst in our opinion. There's a new place called Good Union BBQ next to State Farm building in Richardson that's very good too, but they always don't have ribs ready if you go there when they open.

Texmex I like Mercado Juarez in Irving the best.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

Visited Dallas for a trade event a couple years ago. We ate at Uncle Julio's and hand's down was some of the best we've had.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Okay, I am not recommending this but I am stunned no one has said Javier's yet.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

TheTimeLord wrote:Okay, I am not recommending this but I am stunned no one has said Javier's yet.
Is Javier's really tex-mex? It's more Mexican. It's good but also pricey.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Babe's is some of the best food in town if you're looking for an alternative to bbq or tex-mex
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TxAg wrote:I had Mia's for lunch. Yumm!
Thank you TxAg for the on-the-scene reporting :happy How many of those Swirl Margaritas for lunch??

With respect to the BBQ places, I pulled up the recommendations from the web and I must say, you Texans take your BBQ very seriously :P
Did you see the pictures of large smoke houses with men turning the meat? Plates piled with moist meats, okra, collards, and for dessert, homemade peach cobbler :shock: Lines of beer-drinking customers out the door and around the building and parking lots full of ranch SUVs!

In South Florida, they broil up some chicken or ribs till it bounces, lather it with BBQ sauce, serve it with canned baked beans, potato salad, cole slaw, carrot cake from Costco - and call it BBQ.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I expect Miriam2 to eat at a minimum of 8 of the restaurants mentioned and give a full report.

My spouse drove up to Plano today for a nephew's graduation, so I've given her the same mandate. That could be hard for her to do though since she is driving back tonight.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TxAg wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:Okay, I am not recommending this but I am stunned no one has said Javier's yet.
Is Javier's really tex-mex? It's more Mexican. It's good but also pricey.
Very pricey, which makes it pretty unBH. But it is a local landmark or at least was quite the local landmark.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Bone Daddys. I think they serve BBQ.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

When in Dallas for a Cowboys game we enjoy the following places: Riscky's and Cattleman's in the Fort Worth stock yard area; Babes Chicken (smoked is my choice) in Burleson (they have a few other locations like Arlington). Yes, despite being a chain, we do like Rudy's and usually go there once each trip.

This fall we are going to try Pecan Lodge. Heard great things... place we didn't care much for: Dickey's.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

MindTheGAAP wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
Luke Duke wrote:
Technically it's a chain since there are a whopping FOUR locations (Coppell, The Colony, Stephenville, Roanoke) but nothing like on the same level as Rudy's.

Babe's Chicken is a fantastic suggestion. Great shout there.

Second all of these replies. I love Rudy's and since Babe's is so close we can smell it we eat there quite often.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Again, thank you everyone for the recommendations!
livesoft wrote:I expect Miriam2 to eat at a minimum of 8 of the restaurants mentioned and give a full report.
The assignments from livesoft are always challenging 8-)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

No worries, my family was back by 2 am and did not eat any BBQ nor TexMex food on this trip.
Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser »

Southern people and food are as good as it gets.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Mi Cocina is consistently good for Tex-Mex, and Babes is always a required destination. The waiters and waitresses at Babes may even do the hokey pokey at your table if someone in your party is having a birthday. Regardless, I would abandon any thoughts of dieting while in the Dallas area.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

El Fenix just outside of Downtown is great, and while you're there take a walk over to our new Science Museum. Pappasito's is a close second for the price range. (I'd recommend the location in Richardson over the NW Highway location since you mentioned Plano as a possible location. The area is also way less...seedy than NW Hwy.) Your only choice is the fajitas.

If you're looking for off-the-beaten-path Mexican food, look up a place called Amigo's in Richardson off of Belt Line Rd. Happy Hour is M-F 4-7 with FANTASTIC margaritas (for $3 -$4), and the food is EXCELLENT. It is what you think of when you imagine Tex-Mex.

Homemade BBQ is all I eat, so I really can't help you there. You can quickly get out of hand with prices at BBQ places, and it's really hit or miss. I really like the ribs at Texas Land & Cattle, again in Richardson.

And since people keep mentioning it, Babe's is a must. Go hungry, and you will not leave as such. Be prepared for a wait if you go during dinnertime, 6-8p.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
birdy

Post by birdy »

Last night I went to a suggested BBQ place to try it. I went to Hard 8. I was NOT impressed. No "plate" meals, only per lb meats with almost all the veggies extra (beans came with the meal). The ribs were dry, the sausage was ordinary and the small slice of prime rib was grisly. You sat on hard wood seats. The most shocking was how much our meal turned out to be. $40.00 for the 2 of us. You might not think that is bad but I can get a real meal (with veggies/roll) for $10.00 at Spring Creek BBQ every bit as tasty. I was glad I tried it but will not be going back. My bogglehead mind just can't get over the price and average tasting meal.

birdy