Quality Coffee Maker?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl
Posts: 2226
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:55 am

Do you have one to recommend that makes good coffee? comparable to pour over?

I have this fantasy of waking up to hot coffee already waiting for me each morning....I have a good grinder, grind my own beans, etc.

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

mrc
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by mrc » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:02 am

I roast my own beans too. We like the Cuisinart 12c programmable. Purchased a refurbished unit several years ago on Amazon. It is nice to wake to the smell of coffee! This is a newer model from the cuisinart website (shop around for good price). This one has a "permanent" gold filter, but we also use paper filters from the grocery store.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

AviN
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:14 am

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by AviN » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:09 am

I've been using this Cuisinart DGB-625BC Grind-and-Brew 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker for the past 5 years:

http://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DGB-6 ... charity-20

It works well. I set it up every morning, but you can set it up the night before and put it on a timer.

Avi

orlandoguy
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:08 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by orlandoguy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:16 am

Technivorm...hands down. Several models...all excellent. I prefer a large, thermal carafe so the KBT-10 serves my needs best.

May need a separate timer if you want it ready by the time you reach the kitchen.

finite_difference
Posts: 1079
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by finite_difference » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:18 am

I like this the Melitta 10-cup Coffee Maker made by Hamilton Beach. I have this one and my parents have the previous model. We make coffee every day. They are very reliable and it is almost perfect. Here are the nitpicks:

1. As you can see from the reviews, the timer apparently has issues. So wouldn't depend on it for programming. They should have a battery to keep the clock synced up for when you lose power, too.

2. You should be able to open the water cover and the coffee bean cover separately. That way you don't accidentally get coffee in your water.

3. The lettering for the fill-levels on the side wears off pretty easily.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CY9LRHY
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

texasdiver
Posts: 2749
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by texasdiver » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:25 am

Technivorms are great but they are spendy and also tall. It wouldn't fit under my kitchen cabinets. A good cheaper alternative is this one. Best machine I have ever had

http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV1900TS ... B00O9FO1HK

cpumechanic
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by cpumechanic » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:37 am

I love this unit, pricey but has excellent reliability, if you buy make sure you use CC that extends warranty if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-ESAM3300 ... =esam+3300

Set up a price watch using camel camel camel.. it goes to $500

Note the reviews/feedback on Amazon.. pretty good

CPU
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for Lunch. | Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Nowizard
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by Nowizard » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:14 am

If you sign on for a year, Gevalia will send you what has been an excellent coffee maker for us at no cost. Ultimately, it might be said that there is little difference for most of us among basic, drip coffee makers, though there are definitely those who would dispute that statement.

Tim

finite_difference
Posts: 1079
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by finite_difference » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:16 am

cpumechanic wrote:I love this unit, pricey but has excellent reliability, if you buy make sure you use CC that extends warranty if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-ESAM3300 ... =esam+3300

Set up a price watch using camel camel camel.. it goes to $500

Note the reviews/feedback on Amazon.. pretty good

CPU
[Wow --admin LadyGeek] that is awesome. Just wish I could afford it :)

So it comes with a 1 year warranty, and with a CC can get that extended to 2 years? Still seems a bit expensive for such a short warranty.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

User avatar
IFRider
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by IFRider » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:29 am

I love this coffee maker:

http://www.amazon.com/Velocity-10-Cup-C ... =BUNN+BX-D


It only has 1 button so programming is not an option. However, I don't feel it's necessary since this thing brews an entire pot in less time than it takes to find a clean mug.

My pet peeve with every coffee maker I've ever used is the coffee is already lukewarm sitting in the pot. After pouring into a cold mug and adding my half and half, I have a cup of cold coffee. I live in Colorado and a friend of mine said this is a result of our altitude (something to do with physics and the boiling point of water), so I got this high altitude Bunn and finally, after decades of cold coffee, I burned my mouth on the first sip! Heaven!
Last edited by IFRider on Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by Lobster » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:36 am

Bought the bonavita based on recommendation from a friend. Very happy with it, though it does not have a timing feature. Based on what I've learned from my coffee snob friends, it's recommended that beans are brewed within 2 minutes of grinding because they oxidate in the air. Can't say I'm sure my palette can tell the difference, but I did opt to making it myself each morning instead of going with a timer.

http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV1900TS ... ffee+maker
Last edited by Lobster on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Submit to the relentless rules of humble arithmetic and avoid the tyranny of compounding costs.

User avatar
CABob
Posts: 4618
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:55 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by CABob » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:45 am

IFRider wrote:I love this coffee maker:

http://www.amazon.com/Velocity-10-Cup-C ... =BUNN+BX-D


It only has 1 button so programming is not an option. However, I don't feel it's necessary since this thing brews an entire pot in less time than it takes to find a clean mug.
+1
I have been a fan of Bunn coffee makers for many years. I set mine up the evening before so I just have to pour the water in the morning. Coffee is ready in a couple of minutes.
I am not a fan of the newer style of carafe instead preferring the one with the straight sides.
Bob

btenny
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by btenny » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:52 am

+2 My BUNN coffee maker is great. I have had it for 10+ years and it is still going strong. Makes a full pot in 3 minutes.

spammagnet
Posts: 938
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by spammagnet » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:48 am

Re: the BUNN coffee maker, from Amazon: "Designed to remain on to keep the internal hot water tank heated and ready to go".

That's what makes it fast, but it also means it eats a lot of energy when you're not using it. If you drink a lot of coffee that makes sense but occasional (or once-in-the-AM) consumers should be aware.

User avatar
midareff
Posts: 5853
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Biscayne Bay, South Florida

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by midareff » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:52 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:Do you have one to recommend that makes good coffee? comparable to pour over?

I have this fantasy of waking up to hot coffee already waiting for me each morning....I have a good grinder, grind my own beans, etc.

Thanks

Use a stainless Cuisenart 12 cup ... it was about $89 at Bed, Bath and Beyond less their 20% off coupon, and of course the 2% cash back card. I'm sure there are others that are better which regulate the temp to the exact perfect coffee brew temp and time but this works great for me and makes and keeps HOT coffee. Has a variable temp hot plate and adjustable time until auto-off plus programmable start time.

arsenalfan
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by arsenalfan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:36 pm

Has anyone tried this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BDC650BS ... B00VGGVQCI

I too have a fantasy of a grind & brew on a timer.

User avatar
Abe
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Earth in the Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by Abe » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:05 pm

I found an old General Electric 9 Cup Automatic Coffee Percolator in the attic. I like it better than the more modern drip coffee makers. The water gets hotter and the coffee has more flavor. It's all metal compared to the newer plastic stuff. I use paper filters in the basket making it easier to clean up. I see they have one on Ebay just like mine. Here is a link:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... +&_sacat=0

http://www.coffeedetective.com/i-tried- ... -1970.html
Slow and steady wins the race.

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 4927
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:15 pm

My wife likes her Capresso 10-cup with insulated carafe. It keeps her coffee hot without harming the flavor with a hot plate.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

gnujoe2001
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:21 am

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by gnujoe2001 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:49 pm

Another vote for the BUNN
spammagnet wrote:Re: the BUNN coffee maker, from Amazon: "Designed to remain on to keep the internal hot water tank heated and ready to go".

That's what makes it fast, but it also means it eats a lot of energy when you're not using it. If you drink a lot of coffee that makes sense but occasional (or once-in-the-AM) consumers should be aware.
I work around this with an appliance rated plug-in mechanical timer.

KlangFool
Posts: 10660
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:02 pm

https://toddycafe.com/cold-brew/why-toddy-cold-brew

OP,

If you want consistent good coffee FAST, nothing beat the cold brew coffee system.

1) Cold brew for 12 hours and extract the coffee concentrate. Keep the coffee concentrate in the refrigerator. The amount of concentrate with one pound of coffee can last for 2 weeks to 1 months. There is NO WASTE.

2) Microwave hot water for 30 seconds.

3) Add in the coffee concentrate.

This is extremely EFFICIENT. It brews low acid coffee that does not upset your stomach.

KlangFool

P.S.: The problem with typical coffee maker is it makes too many cups of coffee at one time. You either waste some of the coffee and throw them away since they are no longer fresh. Or, you drink coffee that are no longer fresh and burned.

investingdad
Posts: 1439
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by investingdad » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:38 am

Well, we spent around $1200 on a nearly new, refurbished Jura Capresso full auto espresso maker a few years ago.

Swiss made.

It's now got 12,000 shots made on the counter and going strong.

I can recommend them for durability.

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by heartwood » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:45 am

We bought a Bonavita several years ago and are still satisfied: thermal carafe, coffee fast and good. So much we bought a newer model for our condo, also great. Both through Bed Bath Beyond with its ubiquitous 20% off coupons and free shipping over some amount.

Aside: does anyone shop BBB w/o a coupon? What a business model.

Edited: corrected Boniva to Bonavita
Last edited by heartwood on Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbradnc
Posts: 1514
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:30 am

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by tbradnc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:56 am

Any Mr. Coffee with a timer will do for me. I buy Folgers or Maxwell House when the 30 oz containers are on sale for $4.99 so I don't need a $1000 coffee maker to drip hot water over it.

Whoever paired a timer with the coffee maker should win a Nobel Prize.

wonderhow
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by wonderhow » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:11 am

I had the same fantasy, and bought the small programmable Bonavita a couple of months ago for a little less than $100 (BV1500 TS). Very happy with it, though it did not really make my fantasy a reality. Instead, it helped make my reality quite easy and satisfying. I would recommend it. Makes excellent coffee every time.

- Makes pour-over quality coffee with minimal time & efforts. (I used to do V60 with gooseneck kettle every morning; Aeropress sometimes, and cold brew once in a while. )

- You can set it up to allow for blooming, which makes a difference when you use freshly roasted beans (as in 3 days to 14 days after roast date)

- Great size for 1-2 people. Makes anything from 10-25 oz.

- their cone Filters are easy to find and super cheap especially compared to v60.

- Programmable for automatic start. So if you want the aroma of coffee brewing to wake you up, it is possible

And here's why I don't use the automatic timer.

- I like to grind my beans right before starting the pour over process to preserve the aroma, so I don't like the idea of having my freshly ground beans sitting semi-exposed in the dripping cone overnight. The cone sits about 1/2 inch under the water dispenser and that gap let's air flow through all night. Seems to negate the benefit of storing beans in dark airtight containers and grind at the last minute.

- Though the carafe is thermal, the dripper cone is sitting right on it and you have to remove that before putting the lid on. So unless you are prepared to get up and put the lid on right away, the coffee may not be as hot as you would like.

- It's quick and easy enough for me: Weigh the beans, grind. (Or you can weight the beans and put them in grinder hopper the night before.). Assemble, then push one button. And in 5 minutes, my coffee is piping hot and fresh.

Read the reviews of pros and cons on Amazon. I recommend paying $5 more to get the programmable ones (TD) instead of TS whether you want to use the timer or not. The little screen on the TD let's you know whether the blooming option is on. Also gives you an idea of whether you have allowed enough time for the water to drain through.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUL584U/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

mrc
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by mrc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:30 am

Hey OP ... So you're all set now, right? :)
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

Herekittykitty
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:11 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by Herekittykitty » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:39 am

Make the coffee in the evening using a pour over, put the coffee in a thermos, wake up, open thermos, and pour the coffee into your coffee cup.

8-)
I don't know anything.

tbradnc
Posts: 1514
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:30 am

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by tbradnc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:43 am

Herekittykitty wrote:Make the coffee in the evening using a pour over, put the coffee in a thermos, wake up, open thermos, and pour the coffee into your coffee cup.

8-)
The appealing thing about this is that the thermos could be on my nightstand and I could just roll over and have a cup of coffee without getting out of bed.

DarthYeoj
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:39 am

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by DarthYeoj » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Since you already grind your own beans I'd recommend:

1. Hario VDC-02W V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper
2. Melitta coffee filter
3. Zojiroshi water boiler

Simple. Quick. Best coffee ever. And you can use the water boiler for tea or other drinks or cup noodles.

User avatar
praxis
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by praxis » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:31 pm

We continue to search for the best cup of coffee. We have tried roasting our own beans, but it's not worth it for us. Drip coffee makers are fast and programmable, and with an insulated carafe, can solve many convenience problems. However, once we bought our first French Press, we swooned over the flavor. We grind right before brewing and pour almost boiling water over the coarse ground coffee into the glass carafe, top it with the plunger and wait 4 minutes. Plunge and pour. Absolutely the best flavor ever! We grind Ruta Maya Chiapas Medium Roast whole beans, about $18 for one kilo. at Costco or on line.

To address the OP's search, it would be great if I could pour a hot cup when I wake up, but I can't justify the convenience versus the amazing flavor when the water steeps in the ground coffee. Drip makers drip water through the basket of ground coffee and it seems like steeping the fresh ground coffee creates the flavor we love.

The disadvantage is the time it takes. So far, we use a teapot to boil the water and that takes about 6-8 minutes. Then we steep 4 minutes before serving. Today the whole deal took 18 minutes to serve, start to finish. I'd like to improve that, and I have been shopping for an affordable fast electric teapot. Any suggestions?

Jeff Albertson
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: Springfield

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by Jeff Albertson » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:46 pm

tbradnc wrote:
Herekittykitty wrote:Make the coffee in the evening using a pour over, put the coffee in a thermos, wake up, open thermos, and pour the coffee into your coffee cup.

8-)
The appealing thing about this is that the thermos could be on my nightstand and I could just roll over and have a cup of coffee without getting out of bed.
Even more convenient, 'Coffee to the Home'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2JBFlW--UU

User avatar
CABob
Posts: 4618
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:55 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by CABob » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Jeff Albertson wrote:Even more convenient, 'Coffee to the Home'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2JBFlW--UU
Interesting but until they can serve wine I'm not buying.
:mrgreen:
Bob

takeshi
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by takeshi » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:50 am

Technivorms are great but they don't fit everyone's budget. Consider a Bonavita if Technivorm exceeds your budget.
Lobster wrote:it's recommended that beans are roasted within 2 minutes of grinding because they oxidate in the air.
Brewed, not roasted. Roasted beans need a bit of rest time (usually a few days) before grinding. Ground coffee quickly becomes stale. That's why you need to grind right before brewing.

TonyDAntonio
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by TonyDAntonio » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:00 am

I'm with you. French press method (5 minutes to boil water, 5 minutes to steep coffee) is pretty tough to beat except for the 10 minute wait time. I don't have any answers (although KlangFool's cold press post has me thinking...) but I'll say this: one time I let my french press coffee sit for well over 10 minutes, got busy doing something else, and the flavor was even better. Stronger and smoother. I just can't wait that long most mornings.
praxis wrote:We continue to search for the best cup of coffee. We have tried roasting our own beans, but it's not worth it for us. Drip coffee makers are fast and programmable, and with an insulated carafe, can solve many convenience problems. However, once we bought our first French Press, we swooned over the flavor. We grind right before brewing and pour almost boiling water over the coarse ground coffee into the glass carafe, top it with the plunger and wait 4 minutes. Plunge and pour. Absolutely the best flavor ever! We grind Ruta Maya Chiapas Medium Roast whole beans, about $18 for one kilo. at Costco or on line.

To address the OP's search, it would be great if I could pour a hot cup when I wake up, but I can't justify the convenience versus the amazing flavor when the water steeps in the ground coffee. Drip makers drip water through the basket of ground coffee and it seems like steeping the fresh ground coffee creates the flavor we love.

The disadvantage is the time it takes. So far, we use a teapot to boil the water and that takes about 6-8 minutes. Then we steep 4 minutes before serving. Today the whole deal took 18 minutes to serve, start to finish. I'd like to improve that, and I have been shopping for an affordable fast electric teapot. Any suggestions?

TonyDAntonio
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by TonyDAntonio » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:06 am

Funny.
Jeff Albertson wrote:
tbradnc wrote:
Herekittykitty wrote:Make the coffee in the evening using a pour over, put the coffee in a thermos, wake up, open thermos, and pour the coffee into your coffee cup.

8-)
The appealing thing about this is that the thermos could be on my nightstand and I could just roll over and have a cup of coffee without getting out of bed.
Even more convenient, 'Coffee to the Home'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2JBFlW--UU

KlangFool
Posts: 10660
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by KlangFool » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:11 pm

TonyDAntonio wrote:I'm with you. French press method (5 minutes to boil water, 5 minutes to steep coffee) is pretty tough to beat except for the 10 minute wait time. I don't have any answers (although KlangFool's cold press post has me thinking...) but I'll say this: one time I let my french press coffee sit for well over 10 minutes, got busy doing something else, and the flavor was even better. Stronger and smoother. I just can't wait that long most mornings.
TonyDAntonio,

By the way, you can use your french press to cold brew.

1) Instead of hot water, use cold water and half as much.

2) Instead of 5 minutes, leave it overnight (8 to 12 hours) . It could be in room temperature or inside the refrigerator.

Press and mix the concentrate with hot water in the morning. Now, you only need 5 minutes in the morning to make your coffee.

Please note that you may need to tune (1) with the amount of coffee powder and water until it works out to the right level for you.

KlangFool

TonyDAntonio
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by TonyDAntonio » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Thanks KlangF. I'm going to give this a try.
KlangFool wrote:
TonyDAntonio wrote:I'm with you. French press method (5 minutes to boil water, 5 minutes to steep coffee) is pretty tough to beat except for the 10 minute wait time. I don't have any answers (although KlangFool's cold press post has me thinking...) but I'll say this: one time I let my french press coffee sit for well over 10 minutes, got busy doing something else, and the flavor was even better. Stronger and smoother. I just can't wait that long most mornings.
TonyDAntonio,

By the way, you can use your french press to cold brew.

1) Instead of hot water, use cold water and half as much.

2) Instead of 5 minutes, leave it overnight (8 to 12 hours) . It could be in room temperature or inside the refrigerator.

Press and mix the concentrate with hot water in the morning. Now, you only need 5 minutes in the morning to make your coffee.

Please note that you may need to tune (1) with the amount of coffee powder and water until it works out to the right level for you.

KlangFool

Lobster
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by Lobster » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:44 pm

takeshi wrote:Brewed, not roasted. Roasted beans need a bit of rest time (usually a few days) before grinding. Ground coffee quickly becomes stale. That's why you need to grind right before brewing.
Haha thanks! Of course I meant brewed, how silly of me :oops:.
Submit to the relentless rules of humble arithmetic and avoid the tyranny of compounding costs.

boffalora
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:31 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by boffalora » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:13 pm

Toastmaster 12cup drip maker. $12.50 at Dollar General.

My favorite. Really.

User avatar
TheStig
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:55 am

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by TheStig » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:19 pm

+1 on the Bonavita. About half the price of the Technivorm, very simple to use, and consistently excellent coffee.

And a bonus +1 on the Aeropress. Best camp coffee EVER.

The Stig

navyasw02
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by navyasw02 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:11 am

Chemex

Just boil some water, pour it over grounds once it cools a bit to the proper temperature. Best coffee you can make and low tech.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 6158
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by bertilak » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:18 pm

navyasw02 wrote:Chemex

Just boil some water, pour it over grounds once it cools a bit to the proper temperature. Best coffee you can make and low tech.
Its been a few years (nay, decades) since I had a Chemex. If I remember correctly the reason I abandoned it was that you can't simply pour the water over the grounds. You can pour SOME of the water over the grounds, stand there for what seems like forever and then pore some MORE water over the grounds. Repeat till done. This is all after watching a pot of water boil, and we all know ow long that takes.

Now my memory may be wrong or exaggerated, but is there still some truth in it?

To be honest I am tempted to try it again for one overpowering reason -- it's just plain awesome looking!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Barefootgirl
Posts: 2226
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:28 am

Thank you for the wide variance of suggestions :)

I have been using the Clever dripper - then became a bit paranoid (yes, admitting is the first step) about pouring near boiling water into plastic (supposedly leaches things not good).... but also find the temp drops off considerably...I like hot coffee. I might try riggning something that drips into a stainless mug and then...mugging from there...I don't know yet, mulling these over.

Now thinking a machine might be overkill for me. I only drink 1-2 cups per day and like to use freshly ground.

Thanks again for suggestions.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Onion
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by Onion » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:52 am

I currently use a french press and I'm happy with it.
KlangFool wrote:TonyDAntonio,

By the way, you can use your french press to cold brew.

1) Instead of hot water, use cold water and half as much.

2) Instead of 5 minutes, leave it overnight (8 to 12 hours) . It could be in room temperature or inside the refrigerator.

Press and mix the concentrate with hot water in the morning. Now, you only need 5 minutes in the morning to make your coffee.

Please note that you may need to tune (1) with the amount of coffee powder and water until it works out to the right level for you.

KlangFool
I'm going to try the cold brew in it tonight. Thanks!

Barefootgirl
Posts: 2226
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:12 am

PS/ - for iced coffee lovers - I found a tip online last night - making the pour over using half the amount of water and dripping directly over ice.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

KlangFool
Posts: 10660
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:30 am

Barefootgirl wrote:PS/ - for iced coffee lovers - I found a tip online last night - making the pour over using half the amount of water and dripping directly over ice.
Barefootgirl,

1) I do not think that is a good idea. I do not believe the coffee is fully brewed / extracted with that method.

2) It is better to make iced coffee with cold brew method.

A) Cold brew makes coffee concentrate. So, even after dilution from ice, you still get good coffee

B) Cold brew makes low acid aka smooth coffee. It goes well with iced coffee.

C) It is quick and convenient. You just need to mix coffee concentrate with ice whenever you want it.

You should try this out. Many coffee places are serving cold brewed coffee for the summer for this reason.

KlangFool

dewey
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by dewey » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:43 am

texasdiver wrote:Technivorms are great but they are spendy and also tall. It wouldn't fit under my kitchen cabinets. A good cheaper alternative is this one. Best machine I have ever had

http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV1900TS ... B00O9FO1HK
+1
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

Ninegrams
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by Ninegrams » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:19 pm

http://www.aerobie.com/product/aeropress/


Simple and makes great coffee.

harrychan
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by harrychan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:09 am

Another vote for Aeropress. Although it isn't programmable, it makes the best coffee imo at a low cost.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

User avatar
OldOne
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by OldOne » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:52 am

Concordia Integra for your coffee making - and Kopi Luwak beans of course.

navyasw02
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Re: Quality Coffee Maker?

Post by navyasw02 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:48 am

bertilak wrote:
navyasw02 wrote:Chemex

Just boil some water, pour it over grounds once it cools a bit to the proper temperature. Best coffee you can make and low tech.
Its been a few years (nay, decades) since I had a Chemex. If I remember correctly the reason I abandoned it was that you can't simply pour the water over the grounds. You can pour SOME of the water over the grounds, stand there for what seems like forever and then pore some MORE water over the grounds. Repeat till done. This is all after watching a pot of water boil, and we all know ow long that takes.

Now my memory may be wrong or exaggerated, but is there still some truth in it?

To be honest I am tempted to try it again for one overpowering reason -- it's just plain awesome looking!

The trick is to have an electric hot water dispenser that can hold the temperature at about 200 degrees. Once the temp was held slightly below boiling, just press the dispensing button over the Chemex with some fresh grounds in the filter. Doing this made the time about the same as a standard machine

Post Reply