Leave garage door open?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DaftInvestor

Re: Leave garage door open?

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:50 am

It took 15 years for my wife's Springs to wear and stretch to the point of them behind replaced - and she is a stay at home Mom - for all those years driving kids back and forth to school, running errands, and meeting others during the day - Over the 15 years she probably averaged 3 to 4 open/close cycles a day. When the springs had to be replaced I did it myself and I don't consider myself handy - I don't understand the danger concern as you replace the spring with the door up (propped open with a piece of lumber or extra ladder) when there is no tension on it and use a steel wire up the center of the spring so if it does go before/after replaced - it doesn't go far. My doors still have the original Springs. I also don't remember spending more than $50 at home depot for their strongest Springs when I replaced them.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:14 am

DaftInvestor wrote:It took 15 years for my wife's Springs to wear and stretch to the point of them behind replaced - and she is a stay at home Mom - for all those years driving kids back and forth to school, running errands, and meeting others during the day - Over the 15 years she probably averaged 3 to 4 open/close cycles a day. When the springs had to be replaced I did it myself and I don't consider myself handy - I don't understand the danger concern as you replace the spring with the door up (propped open with a piece of lumber or extra ladder) when there is no tension on it and use a steel wire up the center of the spring so if it does go before/after replaced - it doesn't go far. My doors still have the original Springs. I also don't remember spending more than $50 at home depot for their strongest Springs when I replaced them.
Another poster who is confusing torsion springs with the low-tension extension springs. When a torsion spring fails, it usually breaks; it does not wear & stretch.

Apples & oranges

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:23 am

neilpilot wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:It took 15 years for my wife's Springs to wear and stretch to the point of them behind replaced - and she is a stay at home Mom - for all those years driving kids back and forth to school, running errands, and meeting others during the day - Over the 15 years she probably averaged 3 to 4 open/close cycles a day. When the springs had to be replaced I did it myself and I don't consider myself handy - I don't understand the danger concern as you replace the spring with the door up (propped open with a piece of lumber or extra ladder) when there is no tension on it and use a steel wire up the center of the spring so if it does go before/after replaced - it doesn't go far. My doors still have the original Springs. I also don't remember spending more than $50 at home depot for their strongest Springs when I replaced them.
Another poster who is confusing torsion springs with the low-tension extension springs. When a torsion spring fails, it usually breaks; it does not wear & stretch.

Apples & oranges
Rather than saying I'm confused why not tell me the real difference? The OP didn't say anything about torsion springs and neither did others expressing the concern - at least not for the posts I read. I don't know what a torsion spring is and since I've done all the work on my doors I'm pretty sure my doors don't have them unless they are invisible or hidden somewhere.

Chip

Post by Chip » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:25 am

DaftInvestor wrote:I don't understand the danger concern as you replace the spring with the door up (propped open with a piece of lumber or extra ladder) when there is no tension on it and use a steel wire up the center of the spring so if it does go before/after replaced - it doesn't go far.
You have extension springs vs. the torsion springs that are the major part of this discussion. The torsion springs must be replaced with the door closed and "wound up" to full tension before they are locked down. The safety concern is that if there is some sort of accident during the winding process the energy stored in the spring will fling the winding tools (18" steel rods) through house or homeowner. It's a valid concern, but it can addressed through careful planning and execution.

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:25 am

If it’s not long term it’s small talk

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:39 am

Thanks for this mrc - interesting that the first article states that torsion springs are safer and last longer. As I've only ever dealt with extension springs I can' t say from personal experience but in reading this thread it sure sounds like the opposite is true.

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:45 am

DaftInvestor wrote:Thanks for this mrc - interesting that the first article states that torsion springs are safer and last longer. As I've only ever dealt with extension springs I can' t say from personal experience but in reading this thread it sure sounds like the opposite is true.
Perhaps on balance, there are more homeowner injuries with extension springs because they are more exposed (especially without the internal retention cable), and because more homeowners try to change out extension springs. Most of the time, when a torsion spring goes it remains in place. And many folks know not to mess with a broken torsion spring (and those that don't probably can't post here anymore)!

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:08 pm

The way I look at it is springs are cheap compared to the stuff in the garage.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:06 pm

dratkinson wrote:
auggiedoggies wrote:...
My garage door jerks really hard when it opens up, and makes a loud "bang" sound. Doesn't do it when closed. I've tried adjusting the opening and closing forces, although I really have no idea what those settings should be.
Mismatched longitudinal springs. I had same problem, but it went away after I replaced both longitudinal springs after one broke. Believe previous owner replaced only one spring (to save money) and mismatched springs (type, or life cycle fatigue), applying uneven lifting pressure, at different attachment points, causing door to twist/bind/lurch in track when lifted.

Thank you! This is exactly what the problem was. Decided to hire it out, paid about $120 for install and springs. :sharebeer

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:42 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:It took 15 years for my wife's Springs to wear and stretch to the point of them behind replaced - and she is a stay at home Mom - ....
I chuckled when I first read that, and I still chuckle ... :P