neighbor issue - do I need a fence?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Flymore

neighbor issue - do I need a fence?

Post by Flymore » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm not moving.

About 20 years ago I found a lot in a nice location, my new wife and i built our dream home.
Six months later my retired neighbor built his house next to mine, only he put the attached garage and driveway on the same side as mine.
This make it difficult in winter as it's hard not to blow snow on neighbor's drive - but I WAS careful not to do so.

If you can imagine a north south line - our houses are facing south. My house is on the west side of the line. So when he pulls into his drive the car is facing north - he gets in/out on the left side, the side we drive on in the US. This becomes important in a minute. Both drives are curved.

My neighbor's landscaper put a flower bed right along the property line in the back yard - ok fine.
My wife and I said hi to our new neighbors - my neighbor explained to me that he would be mowing my property along his wife's flower bed - pointing over at to my property. I was dumbfounded, didn't know what to say and said nothing.
This should have been a warning.

After some time I got tired of hearing my neighbors lawn mower in my back yard, and I certainly didn't want him back there while I was trying to enjoy my yard so my wife and I planted a tree to block him from access, it worked.

He has a camper - so he decided to use my driveway as access to his driveway while the camper is parked in his driveway. His driveway is curved - so he would drive across my drive and my strip of grass between the two drives and onto his property. Across the property line.

Then he started mowing the tiny grass strip between the two drives - half mine - standing on my drive way with his lawn mower running like he's claiming it or something. So I parked my pickup on my drive to keep him off and drove my car to work.
Next his wife comes over to tell me to move my pickup from my drive (pull it up) cause they may hit it. At first I did, but why should I? Uhhh It's my driveway. So pickup is back on drive. They put the drive next to mine - they can avoid driving on my drive.

They always "tell" me stuff - like an order --- Uhhhh i paid a lot for this house - I do not rent from them! I pay my taxes and I paid my mortgage.

So they bought a huge new truck for the camper - won't fit into the attached garage. So they park it outside up by the garage next to my property. After awhile my neighbor comes out and asks me if I knew where the property line was, she's going to concrete her side of the property separating the two drives and park along the property. I said why don't you concrete the other side of the drive like they did and pointed to another neighbor so you'll have more room. That won't work she said. I said, are you going to get it surveyed, no she said. They're coming next week. She said it's about where her husband had been mowing. I pointed to the stake that I put in the ground next to the pin the builder put in the ground. Assumed they'd get the idea that it's not where her husband's been mowing.

So come home find that they've been work on a edge along the flower bed in the back yard using retaining stones, along my property. Immediately told them that it's over the property line - they put out strings and staked it off - themselves - moved the edging back to their property. Then they removed the edging altogether.

The concrete people showed up they extended their driveway over to within 6 inches of the property line at the curve point.

So they put a line out, he follows the line with the lawn mower - cause he can't mow over his line. :happy and for once he stays on his property.

My wife called the city building department - they don't need a survey - they can just use there plot map from the builder and concrete up to the property line - no problem.

I've read if you let your neighbor keep mowing your property it creates an easement. So considering they put a string out showing where the property was - now they know - so i told them to stop mowing my property and as an aid I placed a large rock on the property line.

Now they pull into their new driveway - facing north - get out on the left side of car ... car door extends over the property line to my side and they get out of their car - they only have about 6 inches of their property there. :oops: :oops: I'm considering calling the building department and complaining about a situation of constant trespass that they created!

So i parked my truck up alongside their car, i'm sure they had a hard time getting into their car - oh well. Next I'm expecting my neighbor to once again come over to tell me where to park my truck on my property. Right now it's grass - but i can concrete my side too and we'll just park right up next to each other. Ok with me - my driver side is clear. :oops: :oops: :oops:

So I'm considering privacy fence in the back and a picket in the front. Wife doesn't want it.
He's still mowing the grass strip between the two drives, about half his mower is on my property.
Looked around the city, all but one place where the driveways are next to each other - there is a fence running between them.
Hate to put up a fence, this is just crazy.

Jack FFR1846

Re: neighbor issue - do I need a fence?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:33 pm

Makes me glad I live in the woods. Closest property line is 60 feet away from our house, up a hill, through the woods and marked with a 200 year old stone wall.

I pictured my first house as you described your situation. We were close together neighbors in a 60's tract. If I were in your situation, I would absolutely be getting a survey done and putting up a 6 foot fence all the way down the property line. We actually did put up a fence to keep local kids from cutting through on their mini bikes and go karts.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:33 pm

Put up a fence and be done with it. For you did a basic wood picket fence yourself, it should run around $6/foot. Easiest money you could spend!

Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:36 pm

Install a basketball goal between the driveways. This will block his camper and truck.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:47 pm

Topic Author
Flymore

Post by Flymore » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:48 pm

How can these idiots think they got some right to my drive? :shock: :x :annoyed :confused :confused

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:53 pm

It sounds to me that the best thing for your sanity would be to build a fence. As the saying goes, good fences make good neighbors.

Topic Author
Flymore

Post by Flymore » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:08 pm

Yes, a fence is probable best.
Not sure what BS i'll get from the building department.

Post by 123 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:51 pm

If local codes allow it I would suggest a barbed wire fence. Depending on the style of posts used you could achieve a lot of different looks.

If he doesn't like the look of the barbed wire fence he could then put up a fence on his side of the property line. You could then take the inexpensive barbed wire fence down. Result: He ends up primarily paying for the fence.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

davebo

Post by davebo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:04 pm

Not sure if I totally followed everything, but I'd probably get a fence and call it a day.

I also would get annoyed that they were asking me to move my car so they could park their camper. It's one thing to use your drive if it's clear, but asking you to move the car seems like a little much. Aren't they driving over the grass when they are doing that?

Is it ok to park a camper in the driveway? Most towns I've lived in it is not allowed.

goingup

Post by goingup » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:40 pm

Flymore wrote: About 20 years ago I found a lot in a nice location, my new wife and i built our dream home.
Six months later my retired neighbor built his house next to mine,
So this has been going on for 20 years? :oops: Sounds like you have your horns locked with his in some kind of never-ending grudge match.

I doubt a fence can completely remedy this. Perhaps it will help. I wouldn't want to live as you are living. I'd make amends or I'd move but daily acrimony is no way to enjoy life in the dream home you built.

southbay

Post by southbay » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:13 am

good fences make good neighbors. you need a fence.

mephistophles

Post by mephistophles » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:33 am

If I were in your situation I would move. No way you're ever going to to enjoy living next to someone like that. Find someplace with lots of land between you and any neighbors.

denovo

Post by denovo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:20 am

I think you need a fence, but both of you also need to stop this petty tit for tat. Can I assume that both you and neighbor are retired? It sounds like you guys both have a lot of time on your hands and are deciding to spend it needling each other.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:36 am

I have a similar issue although not as complex. I did the fence after getting a proper survey and all (including a year long process with HOA).

Fence it, make it look nice and be done with it. There is nothing you can do that will make your neighbor happy, only something that will make you happy.

I would post a picture of it but apparently I can't figure it out on the forum how to do that. :annoyed

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:48 am

Your situation sounds pretty miserable. Put up a tall privacy fence and you won't have to think about your neighbors anymore.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:53 am

Lesson one: (and truth be told I might have trouble with this too): don't be passive aggressive. Be more direct and assertive. This might have been nipped in the bud early, though maybe not

Lesson two: give some people an inch and they will take a mile. These people seem like a doozy.

At this point I would just get the fence. In the process I would get a survey done and share it with the neighbors to begin to assert your rights and to protect yourself from some future argument that "well I have been mowing it for years..."

Best of luck.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:02 am

I will take a different position here...

If you intend to stay put it seems that the years of confrontation and escalation has not produced the wanted results. Building a fence is like squeezing the tube of toothpaste, the problem will emerge elsewhere. For sure, there may be no amicable solution here but it is worth seeking one. Isn't there some sort of community arbitration group available for this sort of thing? Perhaps the folks at the appropriate city/town office could offer some help.

By the way, the "good fences make good neighboirs" quote, from Frost's "Mending Wall" http://writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88/f ... nding.html was being criticized in the poem, it was put in the mouth of the cynical neighbor and was not being advocated by the neighbor.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:14 am

GoldenFinch wrote:Your situation sounds pretty miserable. Put up a tall privacy fence and you won't have to think about your neighbors anymore.
No question. Make sure it's on your property and put a fence up. The next to the fence can be landscaped to make the aesthetics more pleasing if that's the hesitation.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:28 am

You could also start raising pigs. Fence in an area near the property line (down wind).

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:00 am

They will increase encroachment on you forever. Some neighbors do that, not only on you, but also on other neighbors. I would get a survey of your property first, then put up a fence per local rules and let them park all their stuff on their own front lawn. In case they pull out your new property markers, that's illegal, run to the cops.
Buy yourself a copy of NOLO Neighbor Laws for around $20 on Amazon and read it.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:51 am

I'm going to disagree with most others so far. It sounds like you are overreacting to me. The neighbor may be a clueless idiot, but does it seriously bother you that he steps on your driveway to get in and out of his vehicle, or that he mows a couple feet over the property line?

momvesting

Post by momvesting » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:30 am

I'd get a fence for the back and side yard but I wouldn't fence the front. Instead you should rip out the grass on your side, put edging right up to the property line, and landscape your side with some tall landscape rocks. If the area is too narrow for that you could upend some flagstone as a backdrop and then plant flowers, bushes, etc. on your side of the rocks. Let your wife pick out the plants so she will also be happy with the resolution. Good luck.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:38 am

flyingbison wrote:I'm going to disagree with most others so far. It sounds like you are overreacting to me. The neighbor may be a clueless idiot, but does it seriously bother you that he steps on your driveway to get in and out of his vehicle, or that he mows a couple feet over the property line?
I think from the original post it is pretty clear that it "seriously bothers" him. :wink:

Our neighbors use our driveway as their personal road for whenever they are not in their car. The kids use it for their bikes and scooters and they all use it to walk the dogs, etc. We don't mind at all because we like them and we just don't care, but no one else does this in our neighborhood and it is a little unusual. (We don't share a driveway or have driveways that are next to each other.) I think some people just don't believe in property distinctions and it only becomes a problem if someone feels like they are being wrongfully encroached upon, maybe in a passive aggressive way.

It sounds like the OP has a long running contentious situation and maybe a privacy fence would help.

chx

Post by chx » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:42 am

Or maybe one of those spiked barriers that puncture tires when driven over.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:46 am

Fence time.
Without a Doubt. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:51 am

I assume there is not HOA covenant to address the issue. We have the same driveway relationship, but vehicles cannot be parked in the driveway on a regular basis. Different reaction, but when the neighbor's yard crew apologized for accidentally mowing on our side of the line (Neighbors on the other side of our neighbor had complained when the same thing happened), we jokingly said we wished they would just go ahead and mow the entire area between the two driveways. Your issue actually began when the builder laid out the property lines, but it has been continued by a pushy neighbor and your indirect response. I would have a discussion with the neighbor along the lines of "It is to the advantage of each of us to get along......." If there is no other solution, a fence will provide a temporary one, at least until the neighbor hits it with his truck.

Tim

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:53 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
flyingbison wrote:I'm going to disagree with most others so far. It sounds like you are overreacting to me. The neighbor may be a clueless idiot, but does it seriously bother you that he steps on your driveway to get in and out of his vehicle, or that he mows a couple feet over the property line?
I think from the original post it is pretty clear that it "seriously bothers" him. :wink: .....
When I first began reading OP's post I thought "Oh no, another picky perfectionist who can't stand the neighbors". (Big deal, their driveway next to his.) But as I read on I became convinced these are neighbors from hell.

OP, you need a strong fence, not something they can knock over or easily damage.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:56 am

i agree with a fence or substantial landscaping. you need a hard barrier which clearly indicates property lines.

queso

Post by queso » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:00 am

Test the two way street waters and see how they react. I'd mow their flower bed and then see what happens. If they get irate then you can explain that there is no difference in what you did vs. what they do. :D

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:14 am

A fence seems like the best way to finish these clowns off. Hopefully your municipality does not require a setback from the property line. Many also prohibit a fence in a front yard. If a fence is permitted I'd have a surveyor establish and stake the property line, then put the fence just inside the stakes so it's entirely on your property.

I don't care if my neighbor mows a foot or two over the property line, but the other stuff is another story.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:17 am

This reminds me of some old neighbors I had. They were retired and loved having an immaculate yard. I don't give a rip about how my yard looks, and I didn't mow as often as they liked. So they started mowing the half of my yard that adjoined their property. I loved it...less mowing for me!

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:20 am

Get a survey and then put in a fence a few inches on your side of the property line. I would make it a solid fence so you don't have to see whatever the heck they're doing on their side. Be sure to follow your town's regulations about fences.

Bad neighbors suck, but there are actually worse neighbors than yours, believe it or not. Too bad this will cost you money.

Topic Author
Flymore

Post by Flymore » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:33 am

denovo wrote:I think you need a fence, but both of you also need to stop this petty tit for tat. Can I assume that both you and neighbor are retired? It sounds like you guys both have a lot of time on your hands and are deciding to spend it needling each other.
Am not retired, he is.
Hence no confrontation, cause he mowed and stuff while I'm away.

Don't have time for this, trying to ignore it and it ain't going away.

Topic Author
Flymore

Post by Flymore » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:40 am

mak1277 wrote:This reminds me of some old neighbors I had. They were retired and loved having an immaculate yard. I don't give a rip about how my yard looks, and I didn't mow as often as they liked. So they started mowing the half of my yard that adjoined their property. I loved it...less mowing for me!
I think they should put up the fence!
But they're getting too much use of my property now.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:46 am

We need some photos. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

leonard

Post by leonard » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:00 pm

I think part of the problem is that you seem to find many issues AND you aren't succinct in explaining those issues. Your neighbor isn't going to respond well to a communication similar to the OP. If this OP is an indication, no one wants to deal with something approximating a rant.

I'd suggest:

1. Come up with 3 succinct bullet points that describe your issues with the neighbor. (a 27 point list is going to enable them to dismiss this as simply complaining).
2. Walk the maybe 30 feet to their front door while their at home and obviously not busy.
3. Cover your points with them and get their feedback. Have an actual discussion.
4. In this discussion, clearly know what you will and will not tolerate and nicely communicate boundaries. (No driving on the grass strip. No driving on your driveway, etc.)

As an alternative to a fence, consider other landscaping hardscape between the 2 driveways. Landscaping natural stones. Landscaping bricks set on edge ("soldier course"). Or, put up a very low wall of stack stone type bricks (3-4 courses) between the 2 drives.

Another option - if you think they may be violating local ordinances in any way - do a search of your city's online laws and regulations. You may find that some of the things they are doing are against local ordinances or codes. It's an easy search and may yield something.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

mrc

Post by mrc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:26 pm

I’m with Leonard in the sense that you are (rightly) ticked with neighbor’s behavior. But if you are busy keeping score, you are not enjoying living there as much as you could be. I doubt you will change his behavior, with a conversation, a fence, or a stick ;-). But you should try a discussion so you know he knows how you feel. Perhaps they will behave. Either way you can’t continue to let him live rent free in your head!

Google "adverse possession" in your area to be sure none of this behavior can be considered a taking of your land, and then just move on. They or you will move some day. Time to start enjoying life again.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:43 pm

If you want a fence to mark the property but don't necessarily want a 6' privacy fence, especially in the front yard then I'd suggest a decorative aluminum fence set in concrete. I fenced my back yard with one at my previous residence and it was pretty easy to do. You get a permanent solid fence that will never rot or decay but it looks better in the front yard. Like these

cheapindexer

Post by cheapindexer » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:45 pm

" good fences make good neighbors"

Robert Frost

mrc

Post by mrc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:50 pm

cheapindexer wrote:" good fences make good neighbors"

Robert Frost
But like Schrödinger's cat, even 12' corrugated steel fences don't make bad neighbors disappear. Or do they? Yes. No. Wait...
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:59 pm

If you are not moving then you really need to build a fence. This will not go away and you will get more bitter everyday...

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:59 pm

texasdiver wrote:If you want a fence to mark the property but don't necessarily want a 6' privacy fence, especially in the front yard then I'd suggest a decorative aluminum fence set in concrete. I fenced my back yard with one at my previous residence and it was pretty easy to do. You get a permanent solid fence that will never rot or decay but it looks better in the front yard. Like these
I had the same thought, but I think the neighbor may well inflict damage upon the fence or otherwise deface it. I would lean more toward "landscaping boulders" along the driveway.

island

Post by island » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:09 pm

Flymore wrote:How can these idiots think they got some right to my drive? :shock: :x :annoyed :confused :confused
I'll be blunt, how can they think it? Because you're being an idiot by not saying anything! :oops:
Seriously, you plant a tree to block access rather than say please stop mowing my lawn. Thanks, but I prefer to do it myself and I like to enjoy some privacy in my own yard.
What's the problem with that?

The front yard stuff, have a convo about that too. The time to get worked up about the driveway layout was before he built it and now all you can do is discuss what bothers you about it and see if you can come up with a compromise rather than seeth everytime you see their car parked next to yours.
I don't understand why you can't just say something like I gotta tell you, it bothers me that you built your driveway so close to mine because I could see in advance some issues that would come up with that. It's your property, free to do what you want, of course, but if you have to park so close to the edge that you have to use my property to get in and out of your car that's a problem, and I would prefer that you stop doing so. Can you take care of that?
What would be so difficult about that?

Like a previous poster said, they may just be clueless. I know because I have one of those and everytime I've had a convo about something, they truly didn't realize it from their side of the property line or fence and we resolved it. No issue, no hard feelings.

Regarding their car door hovering over your property when they get in, is that really a problem?

And as the others said, I would fence my back yard no question, ASAP.! I want privacy anyway and don't understand why others wouldn't , especially if homes are close. It's money well spent.

Front yard, not sure I'd have to see it, but low hedge, picket or split rail would be in my near future if no resolution.

I don't have the driveway to driveway situation, but only 10' feet seperate our drives and homes on one side. Our driveway is long, sloped and a magnet for kids riding bikes, skating, bouncing balls, rolling down my little sloped lawn, etc. I couldn't care less as long as they aren't bouncing anything off my house, all is good.

Good luck, please keep us posted. :happy

furnace

Post by furnace » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Good relations are probably better than fencing. :sharebeer

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Realize that the property line may not be where you think it is. If you get a survey, you may have to live with information that is different from what you expect.

Not saying you should not do it. Just realize that many doors swing two ways and this could be one of them. Be ready to live with whatever you learn.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:48 pm

Put up a fence in the back yard of a kind you prefer. Put the fence on the property line or maybe 1-2 inches inside the line on your side. Pay for the fence 100%. I like iron because it is still keeps a open view and can be used to support plants for nice edging of a yard. If his flower bed in on the property line cut it I half when you install the fence.

Out front I would suggest you put in a solid line of brick pavers along the property line all the way from the street to the back yard fence. The border should be permanent brick that is cemented in place. I did this in Arizona where I put in desert landscaping and both my neighbors have grass. Their grass cannot grow under or over the brick line. They cannot mow over the brick as it would trash their mower. My rocks do not go over onto their grass. No one drives over the bricks. Everyone is happy. See below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xerisca ... dJbxVSM%3A

Good Luck.

island

Post by island » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:52 pm

Oh yeah, forgot to ask.. Understand you bought the lot 20 years ago, but when did you and the neighbors build? Has this been going on for years?

Topic Author
Flymore

Post by Flymore » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:37 pm

island wrote:
Flymore wrote:How can these idiots think they got some right to my drive? :shock: :x :annoyed :confused :confused
I'll be blunt, how can they think it? Because you're being an idiot by not saying anything! :oops:
Seriously, you plant a tree to block access rather than say please stop mowing my lawn. Thanks, but I prefer to do it myself and I like to enjoy some privacy in my own yard.
What's the problem with that?

The front yard stuff, have a convo about that too. The time to get worked up about the driveway layout was before he built it and now all you can do is discuss what bothers you about it and see if you can come up with a compromise rather than seeth everytime you see their car parked next to yours.
I don't understand why you can't just say something like I gotta tell you, it bothers me that you built your driveway so close to mine because I could see in advance some issues that would come up with that. It's your property, free to do what you want, of course, but if you have to park so close to the edge that you have to use my property to get in and out of your car that's a problem, and I would prefer that you stop doing so. Can you take care of that?
What would be so difficult about that?

Like a previous poster said, they may just be clueless. I know because I have one of those and everytime I've had a convo about something, they truly didn't realize it from their side of the property line or fence and we resolved it. No issue, no hard feelings.

Regarding their car door hovering over your property when they get in, is that really a problem?

And as the others said, I would fence my back yard no question, ASAP.! I want privacy anyway and don't understand why others wouldn't , especially if homes are close. It's money well spent.

Front yard, not sure I'd have to see it, but low hedge, picket or split rail would be in my near future if no resolution.

I don't have the driveway to driveway situation, but only 10' feet seperate our drives and homes on one side. Our driveway is long, sloped and a magnet for kids riding bikes, skating, bouncing balls, rolling down my little sloped lawn, etc. I couldn't care less as long as they aren't bouncing anything off my house, all is good.

Good luck, please keep us posted. :happy
I'm an idiot? They don't ask me they tell me.
They would be a little easier to talk to if they talked and not ordered.
For example telling me (not asking) to NOT park my truck on my driveway that is on my property cause they may hit it.
They did the driveway layout with the builder/city and without consulting me.
I WAS MUCH YOUNGER THEN AND NEVER DREAMED OF THIS. OK?
Why did the City allow this? Why does the city allow anyone to extend a driveway without a survey?
I work, they do not, so they're home I AM NOT.
The car door is a problem cause he could hit my car or truck parked on my driveway on my property.
10 feet! i got 18 inches at the closest so he could hit my car parked on my drive when he opens his door.
NO ROOM FOR A HEDGE.

Topic Author
Flymore

Post by Flymore » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:40 pm

btenny wrote:Put up a fence in the back yard of a kind you prefer. Put the fence on the property line or maybe 1-2 inches inside the line on your side. Pay for the fence 100%. I like iron because it is still keeps a open view and can be used to support plants for nice edging of a yard. If his flower bed in on the property line cut it I half when you install the fence.

Out front I would suggest you put in a solid line of brick pavers along the property line all the way from the street to the back yard fence. The border should be permanent brick that is cemented in place. I did this in Arizona where I put in desert landscaping and both my neighbors have grass. Their grass cannot grow under or over the brick line. They cannot mow over the brick as it would trash their mower. My rocks do not go over onto their grass. No one drives over the bricks. Everyone is happy. See below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xerisca ... dJbxVSM%3A

Good Luck.
This sounds good.
Why does nobody drive over - cause it's raised?
May still need a fence, then pavers so when he opens his car door he doesn't hit my vehicle.