Would you pay 6x face value to see Hamilton on Broadway?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mevans154

Would you pay 6x face value to see Hamilton on Broadway?

Post by mevans154 »

So my wife is dying to see Hamilton on Broadway, and the show is sold out until early next year. The original cost for a Orchestra ticket is $177 but there are people selling (scalping) on-line from anywhere between $950 to $1,500 per ticket. It's not an issue of whether or not we can afford it, as if we did buy the tickets it wouldn't take any food off of the table.

So my question is to all of you Bogleheads out there is would you pay 6x face value to see a three hour performance of the hottest show on Broadway?
Last edited by mevans154 on Tue May 31, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be greedy when everyone is panicking, and panic when everyone else is greedy"... Couldn't agree more!!!
livesoft

Re: Would you pay 6x face value to see Hamilton on Broadway?

Post by livesoft »

No, I would not. I go to broadway shows and might pay 2X for Hamilton, but not 6X. I am confident that prices will eventually come down in the next decade or so.

Let's face it: The main benefit of paying so much is to be able to brag to your peers what you did. It's the Facebook syndrome.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
mevans154

Post by mevans154 »

livesoft wrote: I am confident that prices will eventually come down in the next decade or so.
Can I move in with you if it takes that long for the prices to stabilize? :D :beer

:sharebeer
"Be greedy when everyone is panicking, and panic when everyone else is greedy"... Couldn't agree more!!!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

mevans154 wrote:Can I move in with you if it takes that long for the prices to stabilize? :D :beer

:sharebeer
Sure, because then I could brag to my peers that someone moved to Texas and lived with us for awhile because Hamilton tickets were too high.
TSR

Post by TSR »

If the prices are too high now, you may just have to, ahem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTP6x_sDiM
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

Nope. But I read Chernow's book soon after its release (as well as several readings of federalist papers, etc. etc.) Longtime fan/admirer of Hamilton, his rise from nothing, and his interactions with the Virginians.

I just don't expect to get much out of the musical, even when it eventually tours and (maybe) we can justify the ticket prices in our hometown. (Not a sure thing though--it will probably still be $75 or more.)

vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

No, that's way way over my spend limit. Hamilton has gone into brag-to-your-friends territory; I'm sure there are people going who don't give a darn about seeing any Broadway musical and are just going for the "prestige".

The biggest premium I've paid was about 60% over face, for the original cast of Spamalot. That was worth it.

I got a same-day single seat from the box office for Book of Mormon in its second month. Funniest show I've ever seen, and many others agree. In retrospect, I would have paid twice the face for that, but no more.

Most of the Broadway tickets we buy are from TKTS, so I think our average is below face.

I think your money is better spent on sampling several shows or plays instead of one spendy trendy one.
gasman

Post by gasman »

It's Ok to do something completely frivolous once in awhile. I did in fact pay up to see Hamilton six month ago on a trip to NY. only paid about $450 per ticket on a Tuesday night.
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

gasman wrote: I did in fact pay up to see Hamilton six month ago on a trip to NY. only paid about $450 per ticket on a Tuesday night.
In retrospect, was it worth it?
sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor »

it depends on the reviews and I don't know how much the actors rather than the play are praised. I confess the only time I have ever paid more than face value fora ticket (and it was about 50% more was when I wanted to see Linda Ronstadt in Pirates of Penzance after the show announced she was leaving soon.If the play is the thing I would wait and take out your wife to several nice dinners as a reward for her patience.I think that will be a better use for the extra few hundred dollars.If it is important in your social circle to say (we have just seen Hamilton) I may not agree with that philosophy but you would know far better than the Bogleheads if the extra cost was worth it to YOU.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

TSR wrote:If the prices are too high now, you may just have to, ahem:

Hmm....a two hour show or a European vacation.....

I figure I will see it in another five years or so. *shivering with antici..................................................pation.....* I managed to wait about forty for Chicago, and then I got comped.
gasman

Post by gasman »

vectorizer wrote:
gasman wrote: I did in fact pay up to see Hamilton six month ago on a trip to NY. only paid about $450 per ticket on a Tuesday night.
In retrospect, was it worth it?
For the happiness that it brought my wife and daughter it was. For me...Nope.
Topic Author
mevans154

Post by mevans154 »

sometimesinvestor wrote:If it is important in your social circle to say (we have just seen Hamilton) I may not agree with that philosophy but you would know far better than the Bogleheads if the extra cost was worth it to YOU.
It really doesn't have anything to do with the bragging rights in our social circles. My wife is a semi-profession singer and performer along with being a history nut who wants to see it based on the performance and story line aspects.
gasman wrote:It's Ok to do something completely frivolous once in awhile. I did in fact pay up to see Hamilton six month ago on a trip to NY. only paid about $450 per ticket on a Tuesday night.
In hindsight, $450 would have been a bargain! :oops:
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

I would pay many times that to avoid going to NYC.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Heck no! 6x? No way.....

Buy tickets for next year, give them as a gift for xmas! Kill two birds with one stone....
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
knowsnothing

Post by knowsnothing »

My wife is dying to go = just go.
Watty

Post by Watty »

A quick Google search shows that it will be starting in other cities this fall. For the same price you could likely take a romantic weekend trip to some other city to see it.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

protagonist wrote:
TSR wrote:If the prices are too high now, you may just have to, ahem:

Hmm....a two hour show or a European vacation.....

I figure I will see it in another five years or so. *shivering with antici..................................................pation.....* I managed to wait about forty for Chicago, and then I got comped.
:beer I can see it now.... Hamilton, The Movie, as the midnight cult show!
Edit Signature
sherwink

Post by sherwink »

Any self respecting Boglehead would read Chernow's book rather than pay extortion fees of popularity.
peppers

Post by peppers »

...happy wife...happy life and all that jazz....
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

livesoft wrote:No, I would not. I go to broadway shows and might pay 2X for Hamilton, but not 6X. I am confident that prices will eventually come down in the next decade or so.

Let's face it: The main benefit of paying so much is to be able to brag to your peers what you did. It's the Facebook syndrome.
Maybe, though some would also point to the merit of seeing the original cast. I'm no expert on the history of the original cast members, but I did have the good fortune to see the show recently and very much enjoyed several performers in particular (such as King George and Marquis de Lafayette / Thomas Jefferson, in addition to Alexander Hamilton). I think at least one of the actors has already moved on. Is the performance by his replacement any less stellar? I have no idea, but I imagine the ability to book top performers will decline as the "next decade" approaches.

A good friend had an extra ticket and treated me to the show. Personally, I'm not so big on musicals and would not spend multiples on a ticket to go, but I was happy to attend and spend the evening with my friend. But, if someone dear to me truly, truly wanted to go and I could comfortably afford the splurge, why not? YOLO :D

The link below is to a forum that tracks these sorts of things, but I don't attest to its accuracy, whether there are better information sources, etc.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/read ... ad=1090959
Last edited by rjbraun on Tue May 31, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afan

Post by afan »

Watty wrote:A quick Google search shows that it will be starting in other cities this fall. For the same price you could likely take a romantic weekend trip to some other city to see it.
Yes, but then you have seen the road show, not THE Hamilton production on Broadway.

I would never pay extra, or even regular price, to see a Broadway show, but if you like following what is popular, that is the market price. If you wait you run the "risk" of having replacement performers, just as if you saw it in another city. The real experience requires paying to see it during its initial run, at the original theater. If you care about such things.

I will wait until I get it for free on Amazon Prime and watch at home. No overpriced tickets, no travel, no hotel or expensive dinner. Spend the money on some more shares of VTI.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

@rjbraun, I agree with YOLO. This year, I took my daughter to a rock concert. I flew to location in the late afternoon (FF miles), we went to dinner and then the concert (second row seats from stubhub), stayed in a hotel (booked with hotwire), went to brunch with friends + daughter, and flew back home in the early afternoon. I was chaffeured from airport to everywhere and back, so I didn't need to rent a car. I think even mlebuf could do NYC this way.
Katie

Post by Katie »

You may want to check if Lin-Manuel Miranda will be performing. I thought I read he was leaving the show, but I'm not certain since I don't follow Broadway that much (and I don't know what date he's supposed to leave). For people really into theater, seeing him in the lead role may make a big difference.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

I paid $1,800 for a ticket to the super bowl once. I am not a Broadway aficionado, but I can understand spending a seemingly-absurd amount of money for a ticket to something important.
blueman457

Post by blueman457 »

I have seen Hamilton... fortunately we got in early and only paid face value. I thought it was a great show, definitely the best I've seen. A little over hyped too much, but still great show.

Money is relative - the question is what other great productions could you see for the same price? Is one Hamilton production worth seeing 6 shows such as Fun Home, American in Paris, Jersey Boys, Book of Mormon, Cirque de Soleil, and Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812?

Personally, not worth 6x because there is so many more things I could see on Broadway but again money is relative.
beezquimby

Post by beezquimby »

I know I would be incredibly bored watching it, not really into the hip hop/rap thing.

https://youtu.be/eOdWU-EnOEk

mevans154 wrote:So my wife is dying to see Hamilton on Broadway, and the show is sold out until early next year. The original cost for a Orchestra ticket is $177 but there are people selling (scalping) on-line from anywhere between $950 to $1,500 per ticket. It's not an issue of whether or not we can afford it, as if we did buy the tickets it wouldn't take any food off of the table.

So my question is to all of you Bogleheads out there is would you pay 6x face value to see a three hour performance of the hottest show on Broadway?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Happy Wife Happy Life....
Sometimes you just have to pay the price. You could wait for prices to come down but by then you might be hearing for the rest of your life how she wanted to see the "original cast" versus the eventual replacements.
Its okay to splurge once in a while. If you aren't buying her $5000 jewelry every holiday and she isn't spending $2000 a month on a clothing habbit and this is "her thing" I would do it. Everyone deserves to splurge on something once they achieve success.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I'm interested in people's take on these comments regarding the show when it hits Chicago. I wonder if there is substance to these remarks, or if it is self-promotion for their city (the comments are from the Chicago Tribune). What have been people's experiences who saw blockbuster shows both on Broadway, and also have seen the same show when it hit the road? :

Q: Will Miranda be in the show?

A: No. But it shouldn't matter. His genius resides in his writing and composing. He stars on Broadway and is a fine actor, but there are many others who will be yet more charismatic in the role of Alexander.

Q: So will the show be as good as the one in New York?

A: I would hope so — it might even be better. Second casts are often superior because the creative team knows better what it needs and has learned from experience. There will not be any loss of production values, Seller has assured me. And the length of run is long enough that the show's designers will design for the venue. This is crucial. Most touring shows come, for example, with standard, one-size-fits-all sound packages, and this often results in crummy sound. "Hamilton" will be approached as a made-in-Chicago affair at the PrivateBank Theatre.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... olumn.html
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I'd pay quite a bit of cash to not have to sit thru a 2 hour musical. I can think of very few things I dislike more than musical theater.
SGM

Post by SGM »

I have seen many musicals on and off Broadway. I don't have much interest in seeing Hamilton on Broadway. Having recently seen 2 musical revivals locally I cannot imagine I would enjoy Hamilton any more than those productions which were reasonably priced. .

Last year we saw several musical revivals and were greatly entertained. If the price of Hamilton remained in the stratosphere I wouldn't feel any less happy for foregoing the experience. One of our local city theaters will have Hamilton tickets, but you have to be a season ticket purchaser to get one at the regular price. They usually put on a few awful productions during the season along with a few good ones so I don't want season tickets at any price. I won't pay double to see the local production of Hamilton either.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

livesoft wrote:@rjbraun, I agree with YOLO. This year, I took my daughter to a rock concert. I flew to location in the late afternoon (FF miles), we went to dinner and then the concert (second row seats from stubhub), stayed in a hotel (booked with hotwire), went to brunch with friends + daughter, and flew back home in the early afternoon. I was chaffeured from airport to everywhere and back, so I didn't need to rent a car. I think even mlebuf could do NYC this way.
@livesoft, sounds wonderful -- enjoying memorable experiences with important relations :sharebeer
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

mevans154 wrote:So my wife is dying to see Hamilton on Broadway, and the show is sold out until early next year. The original cost for a Orchestra ticket is $177 but there are people selling (scalping) on-line from anywhere between $950 to $1,500 per ticket. It's not an issue of whether or not we can afford it, as if we did buy the tickets it wouldn't take any food off of the table.

Actually, given the stratospheric price tag, I would be super careful about avoiding any counterfeit tickets. I've never purchased a scalped ticket and don't know you protect against getting ripped off. Perhaps others here can offer advice, in the event you decide to splurge.
joebh

Post by joebh »

mevans154 wrote:So my question is to all of you Bogleheads out there is would you pay 6x face value to see a three hour performance of the hottest show on Broadway?
No.

I wouldn't even pay face value at that price.
SuzyC

Post by SuzyC »

Saw it last Fall at regular Broadway price, and thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen on stage.

But I don't think I could stomach paying scalpers 6x the regular price even if I could readily afford it.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Of course not.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Nope, then again I'm in the mlebuf camp :happy
Toons

Post by Toons »

No thanks :)
For the time being I will watch Youtube clips. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

If I paid the sum mentioned, I would feel so much pressure to be sure to enjoy the show, that I would be totally uptight. This would then lead to my not enjoying the show. Then I would be kicking myself for having spent so much money on a show that I did not enjoy.

So no, I would not do it. :happy

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Last broadway show we actually saw on Broadway was Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in Private Lives.

Tickets were cheap, and the quality was excellent. The two of them made it so real, everything seemed so effortless. Of course it wasn't as if they were strangers.

If seeing the show was something my spouse really, really wanted to do, I would probably pay the ridiculous price if necessary. If the show has legs, it could show up with touring companies sooner or later.

My preferred entertainment is concerts, and so far I haven't paid over $150/ticket for anyone. Best concert ever was P!NK's The Truth About Love tour.

DD bought us tickets for Carrie Underwood, about $100/each. Not cheap, but not outrageous, either.

Other than a one time, extra generous gift, I can't see spending large amounts over face value for tickets for a play, concert.

That activity just isn't on my bucket list.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser »

Nope. You could get super bowl or final four tickets for that price.
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

Just did some Googling. Lin-Manuel Miranda is leaving late July. Others probably will too as apparently they were on one year contracts. Obviously some will stay on. I am sure it will still be great so it is up to you if you think it is worth spending that kind of money. We all have our preferences on where to spend our money.
ram

Post by ram »

No . I have never paid 2X for a show and that would be my upper limit. On our last Vegas visit we short listed the shows that we would be OK with attending and then bought tickets preferably for those that could be got for 0.7 to 0.8 X (tickets sold within 24 hrs of the show). We bought the best seats and I personally like that strategy.
Ram
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Mika on Morning Joe said she sent her parents to see it as a gift and they didn't like it and were bored...
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

gasman wrote: only paid about $450 per ticket on a Tuesday night.
A new definition for "only" :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If my wife really wanted to see it.....for 6X face value......she can pout.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

mak1277 wrote:I paid $1,800 for a ticket to the super bowl once. I am not a Broadway aficionado, but I can understand spending a seemingly-absurd amount of money for a ticket to something important.
A super bowl is a one time one night only thing. This musical will go on and on and on. No freaking way am I paying 6X face value for a ticket.

Full disclosure though- Regardless of what I say I would do I'm not into musicals and if my wife really really wanted to go and if I could easily afford it, I would probably shake my head any buy the tix because I may be cheap but I'm no dummy.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

Actually, given the stratospheric price tag, I would be super careful about avoiding any counterfeit tickets.
THis has been a serious problem with that show. NY Post has some articles about VIP's who were scammed.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues (show tickets).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
canderson

Post by canderson »

Definitively not.

The main cast (LMM, Odom and likely Soo) will be leaving in mid July and secondary prices I bet fall a bit.

But just sign up on their website to get an email when tickets go on sale. If you have an AmEx you can buy ahead of the public and you'll get them at face value.

We saw Hamilton in February. I bought my tickets last June. We had front row center mezzanine for $149, I could've sold them for $1200.