Circular Saw

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Joey_Freshwater

Circular Saw

Post by Joey_Freshwater »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good circular saw?

I am considering buying used off of craigslist, does anyone think it's a bad idea to pick up a bundle of tools that a contractor is selling (Circular saw, hammer drill, sander, etc.)? Or to buy a used circular saw in general?
Carson

Re: Circular Saw

Post by Carson »

We buy a lot of things on craigslist - actually nearly any non-grocery purchase, we give a solid look there first. DH has bought a few larger things for his home auto shop.

However, used, smaller tools give me pause. First you never know if it was stolen. Second you don't know how it was treated/abused. We are pretty hard on our smaller tools. And generally there aren't fixes/parts available for them.

As for brand, we have been pleased getting the mid-range model from either Craftsman or DeWalt.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.
StoneyCWI

Post by StoneyCWI »

SKIL is a good brand...Get one that has the full adjustment range and that has replaceable motor brushes. Dewalt is ok as well. Craftsman is decent, but what I see the crews use in the field is SKIL.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

my favorite "circular" saw (its actually a worm drive).

http://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT77WML- ... _pd_nS_ttl

why spend a small fortune on a worm drive saw?

because look at this picture:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_779784-353-5280 ... BeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4073e373e3]&storeNumber=2420&kpid=999998106&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-HandheldCuttingAndGrinding-_-999998106%3ASkil&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID=320011480007029791

with a normal circ saw, if your right handed, you can't see what your cutting, because the saw/motor is in the way.

some battery powered circ saw such as:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-too ... ss/2630-22

are oriented so that you can see.

this doesn't bother my father, but he is old and used a saw a million times, and never has owned a saw such as the wormdrive/battery ones that allow you to see.

Once i used those, i couldn't\won't go back.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Joey_Freshwater wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for a good circular saw?

I am considering buying used off of craigslist, does anyone think it's a bad idea to pick up a bundle of tools that a contractor is selling (Circular saw, hammer drill, sander, etc.)? Or to buy a used circular saw in general?
What sort of use do you see the saw getting?

I use mine just for occasional homeowner projects and DIY stuff. If you're in that same boat...almost any decent quality (working - in good condition) new or used saw will perform about the same. I have a middle of the road Ryobi one and it works good. The laser align is nice, quality is just fine.

If it'll see heavy use, you may want to go with one of the more pro-grade models.

Don't get a battery powered one. And get a couple good blades for cutting different types of wood.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

For my basic homeowner projects I use a cheap SKIL brand saw. The only time I had problems with it was when I didn't pay attention to my blade and I needed to change it out. After changing out the blade it went from binding up to cutting through the same material like a hot knife in butter.
m2marti

Post by m2marti »

You may also try the discount bay at Home Depot. It's usually on one of the end caps, sometimes they have good items, sometimes not. I picked up a Makita Magnesium 5007MG fr just over $100, looked like it had been used once.The first few cuts have been great.

As for CL, I think going with any major brand and finding a tool that looks in decent shape will be fine. I would strongly suggest corded for a circular saw. If you're just using a few cuts, Skil, Craftsman, maybe even Ryobi. If you want a step up, I like my Makita, Dewalts are standard and I've heard good things about the Ridgid saw.

To echo the others, the most important thing about any circular saw: ALWAYS USE A SHARP BLADE.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

My porter cable 15 amp saw has given my 6 years of good service now and has been used an a few larger than average homeowner projects like a chicken coop and several new shelves. The laser guide is accurate but only visible in the shade or garage.

I bought the porter cable new but wouldn't hesitate to buy from a pawn shop. I got my jig saw and sawzall from a pawn shop and they have worked fine. There isn't much you can do to destroy some of these tools besides wear the brushes down on the motors which is a cheap easy replacement in most cases. If it works fine when you buy it used, it will likely work fine for years to come.

Just don't get a battery powered one. You aren't likely to need to be mobile with a circular saw as most cutting is done in the garage or driveway, maybe a back deck/patio.

I also highly recommend ear protection with any saw that uses a round blade. I'm only 30 but it seems like a good way to get tinnitus without ear protection.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Fri May 27, 2016 10:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

http://www.consumersearch.com/circular-saw-reviews

I use this website as a quick review of what others have said...
mptness

Post by mptness »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote:my favorite "circular" saw (its actually a worm drive).

http://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT77WML- ... _pd_nS_ttl

why spend a small fortune on a worm drive saw?

because look at this picture:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_779784-353-5280 ... BeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4073e373e3]&storeNumber=2420&kpid=999998106&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-HandheldCuttingAndGrinding-_-999998106%3ASkil&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID=320011480007029791

with a normal circ saw, if your right handed, you can't see what your cutting, because the saw/motor is in the way.

some battery powered circ saw such as:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-too ... ss/2630-22

are oriented so that you can see.

this doesn't bother my father, but he is old and used a saw a million times, and never has owned a saw such as the wormdrive/battery ones that allow you to see.

Once i used those, i couldn't\won't go back.

What you are talking about here is whether the motor is positioned on the right or the left of the blade. Most right handed folks support the work on the left and have the cut off drop to the right. Motor on the left means it's supported with the work and not left to drop with the cut off. That being said, saws are much lighter these days and there many instances when one might prefer motor on the right. The worm drive saw that you referred to has been preferred by many, especially for rough framing. For longer controlled cuts (i.e. cutting a door, or large panel) I prefer having the work support the weight of the saw.
Topic Author
Joey_Freshwater

Post by Joey_Freshwater »

guitarguy wrote:
Joey_Freshwater wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for a good circular saw?

I use mine just for occasional homeowner projects and DIY stuff. If you're in that same boat...almost any decent quality (working - in good condition) new or used saw will perform about the same. I have a middle of the road Ryobi one and it works good. The laser align is nice, quality is just fine.

If it'll see heavy use, you may want to go with one of the more pro-grade models.

Don't get a battery powered one. And get a couple good blades for cutting different types of wood.
Light DIY house projects.

Also thinking about getting a jigsaw, sander, and sawzall.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

There are definitely worn out saws to be found on craigslist or garage sales. Contractors can be pretty hard on tools. If the bearings are badly worn, the blade will not track well (you can see it swerve a bit when the saw is started).

I might be inclined to buy standard homeowners grade tools new from home depot or the like. After you've used them for a couple of years, you may decide to upgrade, or not. Either way you will have a better idea of what matters to you.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Joey_Freshwater wrote:
guitarguy wrote:

Light DIY house projects.

Also thinking about getting a jigsaw, sander, and sawzall.
I have the Ryobi circular saw and jigsaw. Both middle of the road grade. Both have worked well for several years. Also have a Ryobi chop saw. The quick blade change mechanism is nice on the jigsaw (although other manufacturers are probably just as good).

I have a Milwaukee sander (gift from my brother in law when he upgraded to a more "pro" model). It works great.

I have a Dewalt sawzall, drill, driver, compressor, nail gun, etc. Dewalt makes nice stuff.

Anything heavy duty I would go for a plug in as opposed to a battery. I do wish I would've went battery for the jigsaw though. It's a rather light duty type tool, and that cord is a pain sometimes.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK3441K- ... B00GTEU0M4
I've got a regular full size saw as well, but haven't needed it ever since getting this little baby. Cuts up to 2x lumber easily. Light enough that you can cut vertically as far as you can reach (and comfortably as well) if needed. Had it for over a year and a half and its never let me down yet.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a high quality corded saw from Craig's List(after a suitable inspection/test), but definitely not a battery powered saw. The batteries are what fail first, and they are ridiculously expensive to replace.

Ralph
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (saw).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
strafe

Post by strafe »

Skilsaw SPT67WM-22 is a fantastic saw for the money. It's powerful yet lightweight (all magnesium). I believe both Home Depot and Lowes carry it.

When I was shopping around I found some reviews mention a weak plate hinge for the depth adjustment. That is absolutely not the case in my experience with the saw. I noticed that all those complaints were on "no-name" retailers' sites, so maybe they were selling knock offs? Who knows.

Note that Skilsaw and SKIL are different brands. SKIL is lower quality, more along the lines of Ryobi.
strafe

Post by strafe »

For jigsaw, the Porter Cable PCE345 is a good homeowner grade tool with quick blade change and adjustments.

Bosch ROS20VSC is a good random orbital sander.

For the Sawzall (reciprocating saw), if you have a Harbor Freight in the area I would give their reciprocating saw (Chicago Electric, item #62370) a chance. With a coupon you can get it for about $20. Get decent blades elsewhere.

If you're cutting sheet plywood with your circular saw, check out the Kreg Rip Cut jig (on Amazon).
Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 »

Make sure the guard works. It should slide down and be spring loaded. Circular saws are the #1 tool for injury claims for some tool companies.

I have a Ryobi and I like it. Use clamps and watch for kick back. Wear your safety glasses, too.

Other than that, sure, I'd buy a used tool in good condition. If's cracked or the guard is defeated or torn off, don't buy it. I like my fingers and limbs.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett