Which HBO show to watch next?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DrippingSprings

Re: Which HBO show to watch next?

Post by DrippingSprings »

I don't like the nudity, sex, bad language and graphic violence on HBO shows. Do they have any excellent shows without all of that?
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Generator515 wrote:Silicon Valley and VEEP are both hilarious. Highly recommended.

Also while not HBO, if you have Showtime (can subscribe for $8.99 through amazon) I can't recommend Homeland and Shameless enough.
While Deadwood and The Wire on HBO with language, nudity , violence, etc are two of the best shows I've watched, (on your recommendation here) I watched the pilot of Shameless on SHO. I watched close to the end of the pilot before concluding its not for me. Too much everything except story.

I had high hopes since its six seasons with 4+ star reviews. Perhaps it a generational thing.

Game of Thrones until the current season. I plan to give Vinyl a try.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

heartwood wrote:
Generator515 wrote:Silicon Valley and VEEP are both hilarious. Highly recommended.

Also while not HBO, if you have Showtime (can subscribe for $8.99 through amazon) I can't recommend Homeland and Shameless enough.
While Deadwood and The Wire on HBO with language, nudity , violence, etc are two of the best shows I've watched, (on your recommendation here) I watched the pilot of Shameless on SHO. I watched close to the end of the pilot before concluding its not for me. Too much everything except story.

I had high hopes since its six seasons with 4+ star reviews. Perhaps it a generational thing.

Game of Thrones until the current season. I plan to give Vinyl a try.
GOT current season has been excellent IMO. I'm surprised to hear negative feedback on it.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
nekiuk

Post by nekiuk »

DrippingSprings wrote:I don't like the nudity, sex, bad language and graphic violence on HBO shows. Do they have any excellent shows without all of that?
Silicon Valley is for you. It may be the only one.
nekiuk

Post by nekiuk »

metacritic wrote: I was really unimpressed with Vinyl (though it is beautifully filmed and with a near perfect soundtrack). And I find the characters flat on Billions (switching networks for a second).
I totally agree. Can't get into Vinyl, And Paul Giamatti is an excellent actor but he is completely miscast in Billions. And I find the S&M relationship with his wife very far-fetched and not believable at all. I had very high expectations for Billions but gave up after 3 episodes. A failure.

Nobody mentioned The Leftovers, which is bizarre but very good. And Ray Donovan - but that is Showtime again. Another chip for Carnivale, which gets my nomination for best HBO show ever. They pulled the plug after 2 seasons, which almost caused me to cancel my HBO subscription. Almost. So the ending is jarred, but it is still totally worth watching.

https://www.facebook.com/HBO.PleaseMake ... Carnivale/ - maybe someone will click and like... I can try...
Topic Author
Utetooth

Post by Utetooth »

DrippingSprings wrote:I don't like the nudity, sex, bad language and graphic violence on HBO shows. Do they have any excellent shows without all of that?
The Newsroom.

Clean, funny, smart, and still politically current. (There is some language but FAR less than the other premium channel shows and its not overused IMO)
"Be generally frugal and selectively extravagant" - White Coat Investor
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

nekiuk wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, there's some blue language there also. Well worth it IMO, but . . .
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Togetherness. Nobody mentioned yet, flies under the radar but my wife and I really enjoyed it. Too bad it didn't get enough attention and was not renewed for S3.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
bowest

Post by bowest »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
nekiuk wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, there's some blue language there also. Well worth it IMO, but . . .
graphic zoophilia as well. But other than that................
bowest

Post by bowest »

bowest wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
nekiuk wrote:
graphic horse nudity as well. But other than that................
rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity »

Our household is all caught up on the latest season of Sesame Street on HBO, but I'm guessing that's not what you're after :D
Their "Orange is the New Snack" parody was pretty clever.
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

I just watched the pilot of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency on HBO Now. It is a charming show with a lot of local (Botswana) color and no nudity, sex, bad language nor graphic violence.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

bowest wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
nekiuk wrote:
I've watched every episode and don't recall that...
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

BW1985 wrote:
bowest wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
nekiuk wrote:
It was a very funny, but apparently controversial scene (PETA objected).
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/01/si ... -sex-scene
whaleknives

Post by whaleknives »

texasdiver wrote:Rome is awesome, if you can get past the British accents passing for "Roman". . .
What accent would make English sound best? This reminds me that there are three possible Latin pronunciations, all different:
  1. modern academia,
  2. the modern Catholic Church, or
  3. Virgil (70-19 BC).
You should try Six Feet Under. Alan Ball kills off everyone in the final credits.

"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
Detroittl

Post by Detroittl »

+1 curb
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
bowest wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
nekiuk wrote:
It was a very funny, but apparently controversial scene (PETA objected).
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/01/si ... -sex-scene
Ah, bowest originally cited it as beastiality which that is not, no wonder I didn't remember it.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

whaleknives wrote:
texasdiver wrote:Rome is awesome, if you can get past the British accents passing for "Roman". . .
What accent would make English sound best? This reminds me that there are three possible Latin pronunciations, all different:
  1. modern academia,
  2. the modern Catholic Church, or
  3. Virgil (70-19 BC).
You should try Six Feet Under. Alan Ball kills off everyone in the final credits.

I hear exactly what you are saying. It's just that when they filmed Rome they seemed to go way deep into the British upper class affections. Not just the language but the mannerisms. The Roman aristocracy as portrayed in Rome is something straight out of some Edwardian era BBC drama of the British aristocracy. It works because that is the typical American's image of an aristocrat. But I highly doubt it is historically accurate. However, that is a minor comment. I loved the series.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

bw1985 wrote:Ah, bowest originally cited it as beastiality which that is not, no wonder I didn't remember it.
I see it was changed from OMG zoophilia to meh graphic horse nudity. It was less than the former and more than the latter :D
My wife grew up around horses (had one and rode), so she laughed heartily.
Soli

Post by Soli »

Not HBO, but two series I liked very much are Fargo (both seasons are great) and Better Call Saul (prequel to Breaking Bad).
fanmail

Post by fanmail »

Soli wrote:Not HBO, but two series I liked very much are Fargo (both seasons are great) and Better Call Saul (prequel to Breaking Bad).
Better Call Saul is the best show on tv right now. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes darker stuff.

As for OP, I would go Deadwood.
fanmail

Post by fanmail »

Boardwalk Empire would probably be worth your time as well.
k4carbon

Post by k4carbon »

I hear that HBO is coming out soon with Lewis and Clark - that should be good.