Which HBO show to watch next?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Utetooth

Which HBO show to watch next?

Post by Utetooth »

Since the advent of HBO Now for $15/month all my TV needs have been satisfied for one very low price. The quality and enormity of the content has been amazing to me.

I am now complete or current with:
Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, The Wire, The Jinx, Sex and the City, The Pacific, Band of Brothers, John Adams, John Oliver, The Newsroom, True Detective, and VICE.

What should I turn to next?

I am considering:
Rome, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, Vinyl, and Treme.

I would love you hear your suggestions for one of these or any other HBO series you have enjoyed.
Thanks!
"Be generally frugal and selectively extravagant" - White Coat Investor
bowest

Re: Which HBO show to watch next?

Post by bowest »

Add Oz to the list.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I enjoyed big love but was not a fan of the others. I also liked VEEP, Deadwood, Curb Your Enhusiasm, and Six Feet Under.
And the best of all, True Blood! Carnivale was good, but not everyone's cup of tea.
mickens16

Post by mickens16 »

The best show is The Wire.
Deadwood and Boardwalk Empire are great shows too.

edit: oopes... I missed that you had already watched The Wire.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

The only one on your "considered" list I've seen some episodes of is Treme. I really wanted to like it since I loved The Wire, but I hated it. There was no plot, and no reason to care about any of the characters.
willie838

Post by willie838 »

rome is fantastic.

i've heard good things about vinyl.

---

i'd recommend stepping out and catching some starz shows.

magic city and party down are very good. party down may be one of the funniest shows ever on television.

too bad starz had a tendency to give shows a 2 year leash then cut bait.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Bfwolf wrote:The only one on your "considered" list I've seen some episodes of is Treme. I really wanted to like it since I loved The Wire, but I hated it. There was no plot, and no reason to care about any of the characters.
I agree about Treme, wanted to like it but just couldn't get into it. And we live in New Orleans and went through the misery Katrina brought.

Been years since we watched Rome, but it was good and it was only 2 or 3 seasons, so you will finish it in no time.
WL2034

Post by WL2034 »

Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, Silicon Valley would be the ones I would pick next in no specific order. Really enjoying Silicon Valley at the moment.
jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

I really liked Rome.
camaro327

Post by camaro327 »

I've watched Rome and Big Love and enjoy. I didn't like Veep, however someone that likes the type of humor the show uses probably would.

Rome is great since it is a little GOTish.

I think I'll look into Boardwalk Empire and Deadwood next.
Last edited by camaro327 on Sun May 22, 2016 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 »

I find Silicon Valley hilarious.
Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser »

Boardwalk Empire - prohibition era setting featuring good actors.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I really liked Boardwalk Empire. Good historical fiction. You already watched The Wire, I tried it but could not get past the profanity and street talk. I don't consider myself a prude but profanity can be over done. Another show that I watch and enjoy on HBO is Bill Maher, some episodes are better than others depending on his guests. Deadwood was great but unfortunately was dropped without renewal. The main actor, Tim Olyphant, starred in Justified which I also recommend.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
10YearPlan

Post by 10YearPlan »

Definitely VEEP, it is my favorite show currently. Silicon Valley is good-it took me a little bit to warm up to it but I really like it now.
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

Rome.

Big Love.
I don't know anything.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

curb your enthusiasm. if ya liked seinfeld you'll like this.
mickens16

Post by mickens16 »

SpringMan wrote:I really liked Boardwalk Empire. Good historical fiction. You already watched The Wire, I tried it but could not get past the profanity and street talk. I don't consider myself a prude but profanity can be over done. Another show that I watch and enjoy on HBO is Bill Maher, some episodes are better than others depending on his guests. Deadwood was great but unfortunately was dropped without renewal. The main actor, Tim Olyphant, starred in Justified which I also recommend.
I work in DC and I can assure you that the profanity wasn't overdone.
reriodan

Post by reriodan »

Rome and Deadwood, hands down bar none. :sharebeer
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

mickens16 wrote:
SpringMan wrote:I really liked Boardwalk Empire. Good historical fiction. You already watched The Wire, I tried it but could not get past the profanity and street talk. I don't consider myself a prude but profanity can be over done. Another show that I watch and enjoy on HBO is Bill Maher, some episodes are better than others depending on his guests. Deadwood was great but unfortunately was dropped without renewal. The main actor, Tim Olyphant, starred in Justified which I also recommend.
I work in DC and I can assure you that the profanity wasn't overdone.
Of course that is matter of opinion. The Wire was popular and got good reviews but we can agree to disagree on the profanity. Though retired, I worked in Detroit which ranks up there near DC in rough neigborhoods and by Detroit standards the profanity was over the top IMO.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Vinyl is a good one.
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

Veep, Rome, Silicon Valley, Curb Your Enhusiasm. First few seasons of True Blood and Entourage. Miniseries dramas: Parade's End, Olive Kitteridge.
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

Utetooth wrote:Since the advent of HBO Now for $15/month all my TV needs have been satisfied for one very low price. The quality and enormity of the content has been amazing to me.

Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, The Wire, The Jinx, Sex and the City, The Pacific, Band of Brothers, John Adams, John Oliver, The Newsroom, True Detective, and VICE.

I am considering:

I would love you hear your suggestions for one of these or any other HBO series you have enjoyed.
Thanks!
Definitely Vinyl. Rome was great also. Boardwalk empire. Treme,blah
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

For readers who do not have HBO subscription, many of these HBO shows are available on amazon for free if you are a Prime subscriber.
Wiki
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Rome is awesome, if you can get past the British accents passing for "Roman". The one disappointment is that the story arc was cut short because the series was not renewed so it doesn't come to a satisfying end like some others that ran their natural course.

Boardwalk Empire is fantastic
Topic Author
Utetooth

Post by Utetooth »

SpringMan wrote: Deadwood was great but unfortunately was dropped without renewal
reriodan wrote:Rome and Deadwood, hands down bar none. :sharebeer
texasdiver wrote:Rome is awesome, if you can get past the British accents passing for "Roman". The one disappointment is that the story arc was cut short because the series was not renewed so it doesn't come to a satisfying end like some others that ran their natural course.
So this is something I am concerned about before committing 10s of hours to a show; I don't want to get into something that doesn't resolve itself naturally and with satisfaction.

To all Rome and Deadwood watchers: Was it still worth it to watch them even though they didn't "run their course"?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and insights!
WL2034

Post by WL2034 »

Utetooth wrote:
SpringMan wrote: Deadwood was great but unfortunately was dropped without renewal
texasdiver wrote:Rome is awesome, if you can get past the British accents passing for "Roman". The one disappointment is that the story arc was cut short because the series was not renewed so it doesn't come to a satisfying end like some others that ran their natural course.
So this is something I am concerned about before committing 10s of hours to a show; I don't want to get into something that doesn't resolve itself naturally and with satisfaction.

To all Rome and Deadwood watchers: Was it still worth it to watch them even though they didn't "run their course"?

Yes, Deadwood still worth a watch. Also, strong rumors (possibly now confirmed?) of a Deadwood reunion movie coming out soon.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

The good thing about Deadwood, the fourth through tenth seasons are all there in history books waiting to read, since it's a (mostly) true story. I visited Deadwood, and had a whisky at the hotel that Seth Bullock built. Quite a lot of fun.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Deadwood is worth watching anyway. I watched and enjoyed all seasons of The Sopranos and it ended rather abruptly leaving things open for another season which never happened.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Solvi

Post by Solvi »

The perfect show for Bogleheads: Billions
magicj

Post by magicj »

Great topic. Curb is extremely funny, but may not be your style if you weren't a Seinfeld fan. Treme was good, but you have to be in to the slow moving A+ character developing shows to appreciate.

Side note: The Wire may be the only show in history where you can make the the comment: "If you did not like The Wire, you were watching it wrong".
Generator515

Post by Generator515 »

Silicon Valley and VEEP are both hilarious. Highly recommended.

Also while not HBO, if you have Showtime (can subscribe for $8.99 through amazon) I can't recommend Homeland and Shameless enough.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

magicj wrote:Great topic. Curb is extremely funny, but may not be your style if you weren't a Seinfeld fan. Treme was good, but you have to be in to the slow moving A+ character developing shows to appreciate.

Side note: The Wire may be the only show in history where you can make the the comment: "If you did not like The Wire, you were watching it wrong".
I never made it past the first episode. Never enjoyed The West Wing either. I couldn't catch the dialogue in either show. Maybe if I watched it with Closed Captions, maybe that's what I was doing wrong. Something about the fan raves reminded me of The Emporer's New Clothes.

Positive on Big Love, Silicon Valley, Veep, Deadwood (great while it lasted), Curb. Meh on Vinyl. Will have to try Rome.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Mon May 23, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Utetooth wrote:

Yes, both definitely worth watching. It was just disappointing during the initial season runs when they didn't completely resolve.
reriodan

Post by reriodan »

Utetooth wrote: So this is something I am concerned about before committing 10s of hours to a show; I don't want to get into something that doesn't resolve itself naturally and with satisfaction.

Yes, definitely. Just sad that such good shows had to end early :(
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Deadwood may be my favorite ever.

Why do they have to be HBO shows? There are lots of good shows that are not on HBO that have not been mentioned. I'd suggest others but I don't know what is or is not on HBO. I just download stuff.
gloomydog

Post by gloomydog »

Rewatch sopranos
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Silicon Valley is very funny.

Oz was good (but very dark). I watched that back in high school.

How are The Jinx and Newsroom?
Last edited by BW1985 on Mon May 23, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

We really liked Boardwalk Empire but needed to take a break about 1/2 way through. That's OK, makes it last longer.

I've been watching Rome but honestly have gotten a little bored with it after 5 or 6 shows...

Just finished Season 1 of Vinyl last night, enjoyed that as well. Anyone that has any interest in music (50's-late 70's) I think will especially enjoy it. The amount of alcohol and blow consumed might make you cringe. :shock:
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Someone earlier mentioned Billions which I agree is a great show. I look forward to seeing it as much as I do seeing Game of Thrones. Problem with Billions is its on Showtime. I really enjoyed Boardwalk Empire and thought Deadwood was alright. Issue with Deadwood is it wasn't renewed. I tried Vinyl but couldn't get into it.
straws46

Post by straws46 »

Solvi wrote:The perfect show for Bogleheads: Billions
Like it too, but it's on Showtime/
Topic Author
Utetooth

Post by Utetooth »

BW1985 wrote:Silicon Valley is very funny.

Oz was good (but very dark). I watched that back in high school.

How are The Jinx and Newsroom?
I think I will try Oz, I like stuff that is heavy/dark i.e The Wire, The Sopranos

Speaking of dark; The Jinx is riveting. It is a short mini-series/documentary (true story). It has some similarities to Making a Murderer on Netfilx yet is very different. Definetly give it a try.

The Newsroom was the perfect show for my wife and I to watch together. Smart, current, well written, romance, interesting but not overly heavy or dark. We loved it.
magicj

Post by magicj »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
magicj wrote:Great topic. Curb is extremely funny, but may not be your style if you weren't a Seinfeld fan. Treme was good, but you have to be in to the slow moving A+ character developing shows to appreciate.

I never made it past the first episode. Never enjoyed The West Wing either. I couldn't catch the dialogue in either show. Maybe if I watched it with Closed Captions, maybe that's what I was doing wrong. Something about the fan raves reminded me of The Emporer's New Clothes.

Positive on Big Love, Silicon Valley, Veep, Deadwood (great while it lasted), Curb. Meh on Vinyl. Will have to try Rome.
I honestly couldn't gauge my interest level in the first episode as well. I watched 3 or 4 episodes before I realized how different it was from anything else I ever watched. Ever since I have given every potential show at least 3 episodes.

Interesting read: https://www.hks.harvard.edu/news-events ... at-harvard
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Of the ones I've watched, my order is the following:

Sopranos
Wire
Game of Thrones
Deadwood
True Detective Season 1
Boardwalk Empire
Big Love
Rome
6 Feet Under
True Detective Season 2
metacritic

Post by metacritic »

Deadwood and the Wire are HBOs finest shows, imo.

I also love Curb Your Enthusiasm, the first, second and most recent seasons of Girls, and the first three seasons of the Sopranos. The most underrated of the HBO shows now playing is Silicon Valley.

I liked Oz and some seasons of Six Feet Under. Show Me a Hero is fascinating also.

I was really unimpressed with Vinyl (though it is beautifully filmed and with a near perfect soundtrack). And I find the characters flat on Billions (switching networks for a second).
Swamproot

Post by Swamproot »

Although I now have HBO, I watched Rome on dvd from Netflix. It had a special feature mode where it would put little historical factoids on the screen that I found fascinating. Like in the story there is a point where a merchant is complaining to an official about bored soldiers dumping urine pots upon the heads of the unsuspecting.

If you were just watching the normal show, that would be bad enough, but in "historical factoid mode" you saw that the urine pots were actually set out for the clothing makers to use for setting dye, so there was a financial component to this complaint that wasn't obvious to most watchers.
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

Easily, the best and funniest show is:

SILICON VALLEY

Very hip and current. Unique characters. And only ~22min per episode for those on a tight time budget. Watch the first season, and have no regrets

I also second ROME.
Rexindex

Post by Rexindex »

Utetooth wrote:Since the advent of HBO Now for $15/month all my TV needs have been satisfied for one very low price. The quality and enormity of the content has been amazing to me.

I am considering:

Thanks!

Rome was good. Boardwalk good too. Deadwood was great. Takes 2 episodes to get past the foul language but it is a great story (tied loosely to true events)"
“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” | — Simone Weil
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

protagonist wrote:.

Why do they have to be HBO shows? There are lots of good shows that are not on HBO that have not been mentioned. I'd suggest others but I don't know what is or is not on HBO. I just download stuff.
one strategy is to subscribe to a service, focus on watching everything on it you like, then cancel and subscribe to difference service. repeat the process.

having said that, i got em all and don't employ the strategy.
queso

Post by queso »

You won't regret Deadwood. "Swidgen" and Wu alone are worth it, IMO.
auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies »

Vinyl is great. Silicon Valley might be the best show on TV for my money. Absolutely hilarious. The current season has been outstanding.