Trip to Portland, Oregon

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
thirdman

Trip to Portland, Oregon

Post by thirdman »

Hi Bogleheads,

My girlfriend and I are going to spend 18 days in July starting in Portland, OR, and then drive up the coast to Seattle. We are in our 60’s and still active. We like to eat.

Where should we stay in Portland? We would like to stay near a Max line. We will get a rental car, but probably from an off airport site.

What should we see and do in the Portland area?

Where should we drive along the coast?

Where should we stay in Seattle?

Thanks in advance.

Thirdman
anonenigma

Re: Trip to Portland, Oregon

Post by anonenigma »

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=173936

Perhaps spend a couple of days at the Columbia Gorge? We stayed at the Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, WA. Don't miss views from Vista House and Portland Women's Forum. Also Multnomah and other waterfalls. To get to Stevenson, you have to cross the Bridge of the Gods, which offers magnificent views. All of this is about 45 minutes outside of Portland.
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

Portland is a compact city - we stayed a week without renting vehicle - walked or took MAX line everywhere.

I highly recommend doing some of the 'walking tours'. We did the 'Portlandia' city walking tour, coffee tasting walking tour (via Third-Wave Coffee Tours) and one of the food tours. They are a great way to get to know the city. The food tours are awesome! (via Forktown Tours).

We also walked across the river and did a self-guided craft brewery tour based on recommendations from locals we met.

Also did a one day bus tour up Columbia gorge - it stopped at several waterfalls, 2 wineries, a brewery, and the big hotel on Mt Hood. HIGHLY recommend doing this (via Evergreen Escapes).

We stayed at The Sentinel downtown. Great location near Max Line & food trucks. No complaints.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Kind of depends on your budget. On the corporate expense account I have stayed at the Hotel DeLuxe, Heathman, and Hotel Monaco in downtown Portland. All were pricey and as nice as you'd expect. On my own dime I have stayed at the Silver Cloud Inn in Northwest Portland which is a small Northwest chain out of Seattle that is a nice business class hotel with good service for the money. But kind out out of the way. If you want something really ecclectic, stay at the Kennedy School which is an old school that has been converted into a hotel and brew pub. Pretty cool but it isn't downtown: http://www.mcmenamins.com/KennedySchool McMenamin's is an ecclectic brew pub chain in Oregon that has converted various historic buildings into pubs, theaters, and hotels. They have a couple hotel/pubs in the Portland area but none downtown.

Portland has an amazing restaurant scene that is difficult to keep up with. Your online guides like Yelp are probably the best bet to find good places. Powell's Bookstore is a must stop. Perhaps the largest and best bookstore on the planet, certainly in the US. The Rose Gardens and Japanese Gardens are nice and have great views of the area for photographing and walking around.

In Seattle I'd recommend the Silver Cloud on Lake Union which is right on the trolley line to downtown: http://www.silvercloud.com/seattlelakeunion It is my go-to place for business travel to Seattle.

If you have 18 days in the Northwest and a car you might also consider driving up to Vancouver BC or taking the ferry across to Victoria BC. Not that there isn't enough to see in Oregon and Washington but those are pretty interesting and romantic cities as well, especially Victoria.
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

Pok Pok in Portland, great Thai restaurant and the best chicken wings I have ever eaten, and probably ever will eat. No reservations, be prepared to wait.

We did this drive last Summer and stayed inland, spending a few days hiking near Mt. Rainier. Beautiful place to stay in the summer. We stayed at a lovely place with an incredible garden and gracious hosts in Packwood near here:

https://www.vrbo.com/618155
Last edited by coalcracker on Fri May 20, 2016 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Clear Creek Distillery is interesting and offers free samples if you are into that sort of thing (Eau de vies, grappas, brandies, etc)
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I liked the Japanese Garden. We also drove around and looked at some waterfalls. They were worth seeing. You'll have to excuse my memory lapse in regards to the specific names of the falls we visited but I'm sure a Google search would reveal the most popular ones.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

JonnyDVM wrote:We also drove around and looked at some waterfalls. They were worth seeing.
+1 The waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge are beautiful and easily accessible - many are right by the roadside. Well worth the short trip out of town.

You might also want to drive out to Mt. Hood.

If you like Pinot Noir, the Oregon Wine country is worth the trip too.
Last edited by alpenglow on Fri May 20, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Last time we were there we stayed at the Inn at Northrup Station, and it was perfect for our needs. Plenty of free parking, free breakfast, and it's right on the streetcar line. The front desk will even give you free streetcar passes! Good room rates too, for the area. The rooms are decorated in a style I would call "Brady Bunch Modern", which may not be to everyone's tastes.

We've also stayed at the Kennedy School, which is a real trip! It's literally a former elementary school that they've turned into a hotel/restaurant/moviehouse/brewpub/bar sort of thing. You can enjoy a beer in the old boiler room, grab dinner in the old cafeteria, then head off to sleep in a converted schoolroom (complete with chalkboard still on the wall). On the downside, it is not close to downtown or to any Max/streetcar line. But parking is easy, and it is close to the very cool Alberta District.

The usual recommendations on things to do are good ones: Powell's, the Japanese Garden & Rose Test gardens, Multnomah Falls. (Voodoo Donuts is over-rated, but maybe worth going to once just to say you've been.)
Stay on target...
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

alpenglow wrote:If you like Pinot Noir, there Oregon Wine country is worth the trip too.
I agree with alpenglow. The Wilamette Valley wine country area is fantastic if you have the time to visit. Grab a casual, quick lunch at Red Hills Market in Dundee, and/or stroll around the charming streets of McMinnville while you're down there.

Astoria might make a nice stop too. When you're ready to leave Portland, head up I-5, then take Hwy 30 west through the rolling hills to Astoria. Park your car and walk around the downtown area. Grab lunch at one of the restaurant along/near the riverwalk (try to get a view of the Columbia from your table). If you're interest in Lewis & Clark, you might also take a side-trip over Ft. Clatsop.

When you're ready to go, just take the marvelous Astoria–Megler Bridge over into Washington State, which will put you on the scenic 101.
Stay on target...
TN_VolInvestor

Post by TN_VolInvestor »

I spent a week there a few years ago. I was told by everyone, drive up the coast, even if you don't have a reason to go that way. As someone who has spent their entire life on the east side of the country, all I can say about the Oregon coast is WOW. Definitely recommend, some of the best views I have ever seen.
trinc

Post by trinc »

The Portland ( or PNW ) area is so diverse, you'd need to give more details on your interests...
(if you have any questions, i live inner SE Portland )

Tim
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Food: there are several "top 100" restaurant lists for PDX. Peruse them and find what you like. In general you'll do well eating Pacific Northwest style places, seafood, sandwich shops (Bunk, Lardo, etc), food carts, and if you want to try Andy Ricker's empire you can hit PokPok, etc - though not Sen yai noodles, which is closing. Although we don't have great cheap Mexican, we do have 2 really good regional Mexican restaurants with very high quality authentic food - the eponymous Autentica, and Nuestra Cocina. Their food reminds me a lot of good quality restaurants in Mexico City. We also have good dim sum and good/cheap Ethiopian. In general Portland service is mediocre so over time we've evolved away from the very high end restaurants, which serve good food but where the service doesn't really match the prices. But that is just a personal gripe.

Drink: There are now 109 brewpubs within an hour of PDX. Good luck getting to them all. Willamette Week has an annual beer guide, I believe it is free online, and $5 at Powell's. It's a good resource. It also lists taprooms, bottle shops, etc, for your drinking pleasure. Well worth getting. Everyone has their favorite watering hole.

With respect to wine, getting to the Willamette Valley is a must. There are approximately 300 or 400 wineries out there. You might consider a guided wine tour, which promises hand-selected wineries based on your preferences, a much more personalized approach, and access to some winery experiences which are not available to the general public. Here's an example of one with excellent reviews, but there are many:

http://backcountrywine.tours/about

In the city, the Southeast Wine Collective has a variety of wineries and does tastings in a variety of formats. Nearby is the aforementioned Distillery Row. Clear Creek Distillery is not on Distillery Row, but is a good place to visit.

For walking around pleasure, generally NE Alberta, SE Hawthorne, SE Division, SE Belmont, NW 20th-NW 23rd are good places to do that.

Outside the city, the Columbia River Gorge is a must. There are many hiking guides, both online and in stores. There are hikes ranging from 1/4 mile to 16 miles and from flat to 4000 feet in elevation gain. On a clear weekday, definitely do Angel's Rest, about 5 miles and 1500 feet round trip to a great outcrop and view of the gorge. Definitely do Wachlella Falls rather than Multnomah; it is much less crowded, and the hike in is really something special. About 2 miles. The "Triple Falls Loop" is a great, moderate hike with waterfalls and narrow canyons (and some steep drop-offs - be careful). Finally, Eagle Creek Falls is great. It is closed past Punchbowl falls this year, but to Punchbowl is 4 miles roundtrip, you see an iconic PNW waterfall, and the hike in involves some pretty cool cable-guided exposed hiking - fun, not dangerous.

The Coast is another must see, you could really do the whole thing in a week and not feel like you wasted a minute, but at least from about Newport to Astoria is worth 1-2 days.

After that, it will depend on your time. On a clear day, stopping at Mt St Helens en route to Seattle is spectacular. Drive up to the top, see the visitor center, view the crater. If you wanted to devote more time (a full day), Mt Rainier is also incredible. Paradise in July is about the most spectacular wildflower display you'll ever see.

You could also spend a day or a month in the Olympics (hot springs, incredible rain forests, wild ocean shores, glaciers, tide pools, mountain peaks) - and a great moderate hike there is Mt Townsend (for views of the Puget Sound). Others include visiting Hurricane Ridge, day hiking the Dungeness Spit to views of Vancouver Island (Canada), the Hoh Rain Forest, the Quinault rain forest loop, Marmot Pass (longer and harder - about 10 miles and 3500 feet) - and anywhere along the Quilcene river. Basically it's endless.

North and East of Seattle gets you into the Cascades - another place to spend a week or more. From Seattle it might be far unless you are committed to spending 2 or more days, but the Mountain loop is considered one of the most spectacular scenic drives in America. Two classic hikes there are Lake Ann/Maple Pass, and Cascade Pass. The latter is probably the easiest spectacular hike I've ever done. It's about 7 miles and 1700 feet of climbing round trip. Get there early and go on a weekday because the trailhead gets crowded.

For wine tasting in Seattle, head to Woodinville, where are there are scores if not a hundred wineries with tasting rooms.
trinc

Post by trinc »

letsgobobby wrote:Food: there are several "top 100" restaurant lists for PDX. Peruse them and find what you like. In general you'll do well eating Pacific Northwest style places, seafood, sandwich shops (Bunk, Lardo, etc), food carts, and if you want to try Andy Ricker's empire you can hit PokPok, etc - though not Sen yai noodles, which is closing.
SE PDX has become a hot spot, although i was never a fan of PokPok ( too bad, as my home is ~ 10 blocks away ) and Sen Yai was good but very small portions for the money.

a few of my fav's:
Podnah's Pit Barbecue
Toro Bravo
HA & VL Sandwich ( great Vietnamese soup )
Takahashi ( SE Holgate ) sushi on the cheap
Andina - big, busy but great food.

many, many food carts...

Tim
CWhea1775

Post by CWhea1775 »

If either of you like to read then a stop at Powell's Bookstore on Burnside is a must.
dubsem

Post by dubsem »

• Columbia Gorge
    Roosevelt School
    Nike Employee Store (if you know an employee)
    Downtown
    Tasty 'n Alder
    Nong's Khao Man Gai
    Saturday Market
    Compound Gallery
    Ground Kontrol
    Portland Trail Blazers.... oh wait
G.O.O.D.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Also note July 4 weekend is a major blues festival and the 4th weekend in July is the Oregon Brewer's Festival, both very large events impacting traffic, hotel room availability, and general crowds (especially on the waterfront), but also providing good cultural opportunities if you're interested in the wares.
chartcab3785

Post by chartcab3785 »

thirdman wrote:We will get a rental car, but probably from an off airport site.
Definitely check the prices both ways. For one way rentals, sometimes the airport car rental rates are better than those at off-airport locations even factoring in the airport concession fees, etc.
letsgobobby wrote:Also note July 4 weekend is a major blues festival...
Aha! We'd been trying to put together a trip to PDX for that weekend and were wondering why prices seemed so rough. I guess that and the holiday.
CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing »

http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/the-spruce-goose to see the Hughes wooden Blue Spruce Goose. about 20 miles south west of portland.

Hike Multnomah falls... and then go sl east about 1/2 mile (walking is fine on the old two lane road) to Oneata Gorge for more hiking... but better yet if it is HOT you can hike up the creek through the Oneata Gorge to a great swimming hole at its endpoint about 3/4 mile.. and just enjoy the creek and falls.

http://www.oregon.com/recreation/multnomah-falls for the 2.2. miles hike to the top, or continue on for a 5.4 more diff hike.

http://www.nwhiker.com/CGNSAHike53.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=oneonta ... DPoQsAQIUQ

See Hood River about 60 miles east of Portland on I 84... One of the best Windsurfing spots in the USA. A few good restaurants are in town.

From Hood River you could go up the state hwy south and up the hill ... to Mount Hood. Timberline lodge is a great historic lodge built during the depression by Federal funds.. very cool lodge in he old style.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/?gclid=C ... oC-3fw_wcB

Best breakfast imho.. is the Original Pancake House best to avoid line time is about 645 am or 900 am.. Apple Pancake is what I always have.
http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/

Mt St Helens National Monument: Check the real time cam and weather to be there when the viewing is good and not fogged or clouded in.
Inside interpretive center, outside hikes with lots to see. Call the interpretive centers for times. There are three, one of which is undergoing construction, so do call for clarification.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/st ... t_106.html
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/st ... t_106.html
http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washington/c ... enters.htm

Coastal stuff... take your time, enjoy the beaches. Salmon fishing or bottom fishing, and Whale Watching boats may be available then.
Tillamook, Lincoln City, Cannon Beach, Seaside are all cool towns.. and the places all around are fun.
Newport has a great bay for clamming, and good bay side eateries also.

Lots of good hiking everywhere in Oregon.
Not to mention Olympic National Park in Washington, Cascades National Park in Washington,
River rafting on the Deschutes River for a one day trip (or you can stay there also)...
Rogue River in Souther Oregon has great 3-5 day trips also.. will need reservations months in advance...and one day travel time coming and going if you are planning to otherwise stay in Portland.

If you want a contact for questions on spur of the moment info from a local send me a pm and I will give you my email.. . I live just 3 miles N of Portland. That said.. I never stay in motels around here.. so cannot give advice on where to stay.

BTW..Jake's in Portland is a very good fish restaurant.. .and if you like outdoorsy stuff very close to REI in Portland.

M
CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing »

CWhea1775 wrote:If either of you like to read then a stop at Powell's Bookstore on Burnside is a must.
I totally agree... if you want to book it for a whole day that is THE place to do that. People from Europe consider Powell's Bookstore to be a very cool place...and it is.

M
Topic Author
thirdman

Post by thirdman »

Thanks for all of the great information. It looks like we have chosen the height of the tourist season. We are going to try to get rooms in a lodge in Olympic National Park. Thanks everyone.

thirdman
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

Stay: Inn at Northrup Station

Eat: Tasty n Sons

See: Columbia River Gorge
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

thirdman wrote:Thanks for all of the great information. It looks like we have chosen the height of the tourist season. We are going to try to get rooms in a lodge in Olympic National Park. Thanks everyone.

thirdman
I haven't stayed at any of them but Quinault looks most intriguing. But kalaloch has the worst food I have ever eaten.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

BHUser27 wrote:Portland is a compact city - we stayed a week without renting vehicle - walked or took MAX line everywhere.

I highly recommend doing some of the 'walking tours'. We did the 'Portlandia' city walking tour, coffee tasting walking tour (via Third-Wave Coffee Tours) and one of the food tours. They are a great way to get to know the city. The food tours are awesome! (via Forktown Tours).

We also walked across the river and did a self-guided craft brewery tour based on recommendations from locals we met.

Also did a one day bus tour up Columbia gorge - it stopped at several waterfalls, 2 wineries, a brewery, and the big hotel on Mt Hood. HIGHLY recommend doing this (via Evergreen Escapes).

We stayed at The Sentinel downtown. Great location near Max Line & food trucks. No complaints.
I've stayed at The Sentinel as well. It is right across the street from this food truck pod. Overall a great hotel with a small gym on the first floor to work off all that food!

Also, that hotel is near MAX lines so it is pretty easy to get around. The Target store is nearby to get snacks/water/etc.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Lots of great suggestions already. Just wanted to add that on the news this week we learned that an express bus service to the Gorge is starting up for the summer. Read about it here: http://koin.com/2016/05/20/new-bus-serv ... bia-gorge/

Be warned that if you want to visit Multnomah Falls -- one of the most visited sites in Oregon -- the parking is ... well, impossible. Even on weekdays it can be impossible to find a spot.

If you like zoos, the Oregon Zoo is well worth a visit. Accessible by MAX.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I'll put in a plug for Tasty 'n Alder, since my niece works there as a sous-chef.
Gordon
Ryerle

Post by Ryerle »

DireWolf wrote:Stay: Inn at Northrup Station

Second this. Tasty and Sons is highly underrated. Get there early for brunch/breakfast as there is a line before they open
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Ryerle wrote:
DireWolf wrote:Stay: Inn at Northrup Station

Second this. Tasty and Sons is highly underrated. Get there early for brunch/breakfast as there is a line before they open
It's hard to call anything in the John Gorham universe 'underrated', both Tasty and Alder and Tasty and Son have long lines and excellent reputations.

For underrated I like Life of Pie pizza, which is relatively new, on N Williams. Their $5 margherite pizza 11-6 M-F is a ridiculous value. charred crust, house-made mozzarella. Also Cabezon, which is on the Oregonian's Top 101 list, but somehow gets no buzz and yet is ridiculously good, fresh Seafood in a small, cozy space.

For overrated, not a fan of Castagna, and think there are other very good pizzas besides Apizza Scholls without the line and attitude.

For the most "Portlandish" decor, think Old Salt, Grain and Gristle, Ned Ludd - 'rustic Oregon Northwest logger' or something like that.
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun May 22, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

If you are going north of Seattle, consider visiting Artist Point / Mount Baker which is east of Bellingham WA. Fantastic scenery and less crowded than the national parks. Parking pass required to park at Artist Point. I believe you can purchase a pass there or at ranger station in Glacier, WA on the way up. If you already have a national park annual pass or Northwest Forest pass, you're good to go at Artist Point - just display your pass on the dashboard or hang on mirror.

If visiting North Cascades NP, Cascade Pass/Sahale Arm is a beautiful hike.

If you have passports or enhanced drivers licenses, go further north into Vancouver BC where you will find some excellent asian cuisine and more beautiful scenery.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Mon May 23, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

From PDX you can do east of the Cascades or do the Coast routes or do both and skip the Willamette Valley ( I'd skipped the Valley.) Suggested Route: PDX -OregonCity (terminus of the OregonTrail) to Astoria/Seaside (Terminus of the Lewis & Clark) on US26 down US101 to Newport or Florence. Cross over to US20 Corvallis (OSU) or US126 Eugene (UofO)- OregonCountryFaire.org, July 8-11. Then cross the Cascades to Bend with detour to Detroit for Breitenbush.com (camping and hotsprings). Now you are East of the Cascades. Do Bend. Up US97/197 to I-84 where you will hit the mighty Columbia.
Either cross to Washington or stay on I-84. HoodRiver, Booneville Dam (small compared to GrandCoulee), Columbia Gorge and the Waterfalls (many). Drop off car in PDX.

Catch Amtrak train to Seattle and points to Vancouver BC. ~$24 to Seattle. Seattle-Vancouver ~$32, 14 day advance purchase and be aware that summer trains's cheap coach seats get soldout fast. Within the 14 day window, the coach and business class seats will increase in $$ by a lot. There is some flexibility to reschedule seats. Wifi (except on Amtrak Coast Starlite) and bistro cars are nice and free. Boltbus a little cheaper.

If you do the Willamette Valley: Use 99W to McMinnville for wines/brews and EvergreenAir&SpaceMuseum (spruce goose) down US99W to Rickreall hitting the wineries (Too many). At US22, Rickreall, you can either go East to Salem-Bend, West to the coast terminating at PacificCity-Lincoln City.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

In Seattle: stay at Airbnb. DS has a place just <1mi/~15min walk from KingStreet Station. Using KingStreet station, you can use access to Air & Space Museum at Boeing Field. Bremerton/Bainbridge Ferries or to Vancouver by ferry. Boeing Factory Tour. Waterfront piers and PikesMarket. LINK train to UW. Seattle you can do very well without a car using UBER, Car2Go, ReachNow, ZipCar, or YellowCab, besides public bus, StreetCar, LINK. You should be able to find an Airbnb for <$100/nite plus tax and cleaning fee. Weekends in Seattle are crowded with 3 cruise ships, Mariner games and other tourists in town. Book ASAP for hotels and Airbnb. Seattle is not that big-a mini SanFrancisco.

For 18 days, Olympic NP, VancouverBC, are interesting side trips for 2-3 days. Mt Rainer is interesting for a day trip.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Not sure about Portland, but for Seattle, get your hotel reservations now. Things tend to fill up in the summer.

That is all I came here to say.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Interesting notes:
US99W and US99E are old Native trails. 99W was aka Applegate trail originating at Rickreall and terminating in California.
US26, (Sunset Highway/) is the Barlow Trail with the first toll road in West of Mississippi in 1846 and bypasses the Columbia River Rapids and skirts the southern reaches of Mt Hood. (see Computer game, OregonTrail)
Salem has the oldest newpaper west of Miss. It is still printed but no longer printed in Salem.
OregonCity has the incorporation/land claims for SanFranciso since it had the first US Gov office.
WillametteValley entirely was flooded up to 600ft many times during the IceAge: see Missoula Floods.
Portland is a much older city than Seattle.
Portland has 7 (?) buttes. All of which are ancient volcanoes.
The Columbia basalt is not that old, and is younger than the Columbia River. The basalt is a mile thick in Central Oregon. It reaches down to Newport - Pacific City Haystack Rock.

Portland has many waterfront festivals. Which is good and bad.
Enjoy a PNW dungeness crab, steamed. Clams and oysters.
DeepSea charters at DepoeBay and Newport- Tuna season in July. Possible Salmon.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

We were just in Portland for a visit, albeit for just 5 days. We will return to get more exposure to an area that we were unfamiliar with and enjoyed.

Restaurant well worth visiting if you are into food: http://lepigeon.com/ We got there when doors were opening to get seat at the chef's bar (can't reserve and less than 12 seats).

Pok Pok--if you get there for a late lunch (3pm on weekday), you may be able to walk right in--we did.

Agree with someone above that no need for car in Portland itself; google maps was great on the transit schedules, even when switching between train and bus. (We stayed at the Society Hotel, but not for everyone: a nice hostel/inn place; attractively priced in a "up and coming" section of downtown. DW did get us a private bathroom though.)

As for Willamette Valley, if you are into wines, book the private tastings--or whatever they call the most expensive/intensive tours. We did it at White Rose ("Neo-Classical experience"), Drouhin ("French Soul: The Drouhin Experience Tour and Comparative Tasting"), and Domaine Serene ("Exquisite Tour & Tasting"), all of which were well worth it. Just like in Napa, the baseline tastings don't really compare.
Edit Signature
Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative »

Lots of good advice so far. I'll just add re:pdx:

mt rainier, paradise area, well worth the trip in mid to late July.

Mt hood has some good hikes. Tom, dick and Harry mt. Is a great way to spend a sunny day.

Angel's rest, multnomah falls in the gorge.

Forest park, wildwood trail, right in the city is fantastic for hiking or running.

Consider attending a timbers or thorns game. Fun vibe even if you don't like soccer.

Blue star donuts > voodoo
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

If you do decide to stay at Silver Cloud, there is a nice restaurant across the street, Meriweather that has nice food, locally sourced. When we stayed there, Parking was included and the rates were fairly reasonable. We had a car but caught the bus to go to the Saturday Market under the bridges. It was a lot of fun and there were a lot of locally made and grown things. Always love Powell's bookstore as well. We visited some of the Grimm TV series sites, which was fun since we are fans. We also drove around a bit and happened upon a nice place for brunch, but sadly don't know the name. Yelp and TripAdvisor are pretty helpful for restaurants, in my experience. We also happened upon an IceBreaker shop and each got a clearance item sweater, 100% wool as a great moments of our stay. Oregon has no sales tax, which is nice for shopping.

In Seattle, Pike's Street Market is pretty famous and a fun place to explore. There's an interesting contemporary museum nearby, and of course the Space Needle is fun, if you like heights. We liked staying at Mt. Rainer, in the park. We went on a Seattle Underground Tour, which was fun and interesting.