Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1405
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by 1210sda » Tue May 17, 2016 7:34 am

When I got to my PC this morning, I was un-Pleasantly suprised with Windows 10 staring back at me.

Seems Microsoft just got tired of me not installing 10 on my own and went ahead and installed it for me.

I decided to see what it does, so I went ahead and finished the full installation. Maybe I could have
opted out, but I couldn't find a way to do it.

I've been playing around with it and it seems sort of OK. My biggest hassle is that they forced me to
do it.

Has this happened to anyone else??

1210
P.S. How do you find the original "desktop"?

jebmke
Posts: 8365
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by jebmke » Tue May 17, 2016 7:38 am

If you want to get the UI back to W7 style, you can install Classic Shell
http://www.classicshell.net/

I have used this on W8 laptops and have installed it on W10 virtual machines without incident.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

bklyn96
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:12 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by bklyn96 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:25 am

1210sda wrote:....How do you find the original "desktop"?
Anytime you want to return to your desktop just right-click in an open space along the task bar at the bottom of the screen. You'll be able to choose "Show the desktop."

If your taskbar is like mine and it's full of icons a good place to right-click is on the date/time stamp that's at the far right side of the bar.

exoilman
Posts: 685
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by exoilman » Tue May 17, 2016 8:33 am

reference

trinc
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:09 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by trinc » Tue May 17, 2016 8:38 am

jebmke wrote:If you want to get the UI back to W7 style, you can install Classic Shell
http://www.classicshell.net/

I have used this on W8 laptops and have installed it on W10 virtual machines without incident.
May want to sticky this :happy ... I like win 10 but one of my office PC's has a store issue, won't open ( left click on windows icon ) that i can't solve & i'm not going through the hassle of another clean install. )

Tim

User avatar
runner9
Posts: 2026
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by runner9 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:40 am

You can also follow Microsoft's instructions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... windows-81

trinc
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:09 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by trinc » Tue May 17, 2016 8:42 am

1210sda wrote: P.S. How do you find the original "desktop"?
right click window icon ( bottom left ) select 'desktop', or set up the quick launch bar ( win 7 style ) and put the desktop icon there so it's only 1 click away at all times.

Tim

User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1405
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by 1210sda » Tue May 17, 2016 8:48 am

trinc wrote:
1210sda wrote: P.S. How do you find the original "desktop"?
right click window icon ( bottom left ) select 'desktop', or set up the quick launch bar ( win 7 style ) and put the desktop icon there so it's only 1 click away at all times.

Tim
Tim, where is the "quick launch bar"?

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1077
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by Nicolas » Tue May 17, 2016 9:11 am

We started getting W10 reminders maybe a year or so ago. We ignored them and as time went by they became more and more insistent. Then one morning my wife found she couldn't proceed until she acquiesced. She reluctantly installed it and then discovered she hated it. So what did we do? We gave up on Microsoft, they lost our business.

We consigned our seven year old PC to the basement and bought a refurbished latest model iMac from the Apple store. It's like brand new and we like it better. Plus it was advertised as having 8 gig of RAM and when I fired it up I found it actually had 16!
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue May 17, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

User avatar
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue May 17, 2016 9:14 am

On the right hand side, very bottom of the screen, there is a little space marked off my a vertical line, the height of the taskbar. Click on that (NOT right click) and you get your desktop. Click it again and you are back to where you had been.

BTW, I have been using 10 for five months or so on two machines and have had no problems and find performance a bit snappier than 7.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 6087
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by bertilak » Tue May 17, 2016 9:31 am

1210sda wrote:P.S. How do you find the original "desktop"?
When I installed W10 the contents of my desktop vanished. Turns out there needed to be one more reboot and all was well. Seems like that final reboot should have been done automatically, but that didn't happen in my case.

Once past that, there should be no difference between the original and the current (W10) desktop.

The suggestion given in previous posts simply tells you how to "disappear" (and "undisappear") whatever open applications you have that are obscuring the one-and-only desktop. (Ok this is not EXACTLY true since W10 does have a multiple desktop feature called "Task View" but that is something completely different. It allows you to have different desktops for different tasks or purposes, for example work vs. personal. You get to this feature through the "Task View Button" which you can enable by right clicking on the task bar at the bottom of the screen and selecting "Show Task View Button".)
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Miriam2
Posts: 2282
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by Miriam2 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:33 am

trinc wrote:
1210sda wrote: P.S. How do you find the original "desktop"?
right click window icon ( bottom left ) select 'desktop', or set up the quick launch bar ( win 7 style ) and put the desktop icon there so it's only 1 click away at all times.
1 - Is the "quick launch bar" (on my Win 7) the same as the "taskbar?" My computer calls it a "taskbar"
2 - If so, how do we put the desktop access button/icon on the "taskbar?"
3 - TheGreyingDuke's vertical bar on the right side of the taskbar shows the desktop - but is it also the access to the desktop if we lose it - if Microsoft installs a sneaky Win 10?

User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1405
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by 1210sda » Tue May 17, 2016 9:36 am

Thank you. I found the little vertical line. It's almost off the screen. W/O your help I would not have found it.
Thanks
1210

User avatar
toddmorris
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 9:44 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by toddmorris » Tue May 17, 2016 9:55 am

runner9 wrote:You can also follow Microsoft's instructions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... windows-81
Thanks, that saved me too. I didn't want the upgrade but found the reminders becoming pretty intrusive. There's a way to turn off the reminders too. I found that you can hide the update and it will stop asking you to upgrade. I wish I could remember how I did that. Do you know the process? It might be helpful for others looking at this thread.

Miriam2
Posts: 2282
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by Miriam2 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:47 pm

toddmorris wrote:Thanks, that saved me too. I didn't want the upgrade but found the reminders becoming pretty intrusive. There's a way to turn off the reminders too. I found that you can hide the update and it will stop asking you to upgrade. I wish I could remember how I did that. Do you know the process? It might be helpful for others looking at this thread.
Is this the thread you were looking for - "How to stop MS loading Windows 10?"
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183693

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 10324
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by nedsaid » Tue May 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Yes, the very same thing happened to me. I actually have been pleased with Windows 10, it was the easiest operating system upgrade that I have ever done. I use it on my main computer and also on my laptop. Quicken 2014 works with it. I had a very minor printer issue easily fixed. Even the scanner works.
A fool and his money are good for business.

User avatar
Artsdoctor
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue May 17, 2016 1:57 pm

Yes, had the same thing happen to me. I've been using it all morning and haven't had a problem, although I've used it on other PCs previously. The difference in speed is pretty significant for me (upgraded from Windows 7 on that particular machine).

Miriam2
Posts: 2282
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by Miriam2 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:04 pm

nedsaid wrote:Yes, the very same thing happened to me. I actually have been pleased with Windows 10, it was the easiest operating system upgrade that I have ever done. I use it on my main computer and also on my laptop. Quicken 2014 works with it. I had a very minor printer issue easily fixed. Even the scanner works.
Artsdoctor wrote:Yes, had the same thing happen to me. I've been using it all morning and haven't had a problem, although I've used it on other PCs previously. The difference in speed is pretty significant for me (upgraded from Windows 7 on that particular machine).
Do you mean we tech-challenged types shouldn't worry if the sneaky upgrade comes in the middle of the night? :?:

User avatar
Artsdoctor
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue May 17, 2016 2:06 pm

Actually, your upgrades usually come in the middle of the night. It's just that this was an extremely big upgrade.

bloom2708
Posts: 4788
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by bloom2708 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Embrace Windows 10. It is better than Windows 7. Onward and upward! :mrgreen:
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

rec7
Posts: 2369
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by rec7 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:52 pm

Resistance is Futile: You Will Be Assimilated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSCe40HMv1c
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

tivattom
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:51 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by tivattom » Tue May 17, 2016 3:00 pm

You can go back to your previous operating system easily during the first 30 days of installing Windows 10.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960692/ ... -or-8.html

Miriam2
Posts: 2282
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by Miriam2 » Tue May 17, 2016 3:17 pm

bloom2708 wrote:Embrace Windows 10. It is better than Windows 7. Onward and upward! :mrgreen:
rec7 wrote:Resistance is Futile: You Will Be Assimilated
OMG - this is as nerve-wracking as when I had to change from DOS to Windows and from WordPerfect to Word :shock: :shock:

User avatar
Artsdoctor
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue May 17, 2016 3:19 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:Embrace Windows 10. It is better than Windows 7. Onward and upward! :mrgreen:
rec7 wrote:Resistance is Futile: You Will Be Assimilated
OMG - this is as nerve-wracking as when I had to change from DOS to Windows and from WordPerfect to Word :shock: :shock:
Don't be afraid of change.

Just make sure your sensitive documents are password-protected as best as you can, given the middle-of-the-night creepy crawlers . . .

User avatar
blaugranamd
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:57 pm
Location: D-lux apt in the sky

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by blaugranamd » Tue May 17, 2016 5:11 pm

bloom2708 wrote:Embrace Windows 10. It is better than Windows 7. Onward and upward! :mrgreen:
Agreed. Have Win10 on my Surface Pro 4 and love it.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

User avatar
reriodan
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:08 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by reriodan » Tue May 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Yeah, it is ridiculous that microsoft forces you to update to a different OS. It should be an option, they already know how to annoy you with those. To force the user to update, without them confirming, is completely crossing the line.

So glad I gave up that terrible OS a long time ago.

Leeraar
Posts: 4109
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by Leeraar » Tue May 17, 2016 5:19 pm

i was on an unrelated webinar yesterday. They quoted a survey about the two things computer users hate most:

1. The staus quo, what they have.
2. Change.

Priceless, isn't it?

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

TJSI
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by TJSI » Tue May 17, 2016 5:26 pm

Got me today. I walked away from my computer for about an hour and MS had taken control. Cursed MS and cursed myself for not doing a recent back-up.

Well so far no problems. At least I won't have to deal with the annoying pop-ups asking me to upgrade.

Just think how life will be when the "Internet of Things" happens an MS can do anything they want to you.

If I can never sign on to Bogleheads again, you will know why.

TJSI

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 36642
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by nisiprius » Tue May 17, 2016 6:53 pm

I'm travelling and short on time and WiFi signal so can't give the exact quotation, but Bill Bryson has a very funny comment about Microsoft's pushy upgrades in his excellent new book, "The Road to Little Dribbling."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
Posts: 28549
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Contact:

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue May 17, 2016 7:09 pm

TJSI wrote:Got me today. I walked away from my computer for about an hour and MS had taken control. Cursed MS and cursed myself for not doing a recent back-up.

Well so far no problems. At least I won't have to deal with the annoying pop-ups asking me to upgrade.

Just think how life will be when the "Internet of Things" happens an MS can do anything they want to you.

If I can never sign on to Bogleheads again, you will know why.

TJSI
If you don't like it, you can revert back to your previous OS within 30 days.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

madbrain
Posts: 5066
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by madbrain » Tue May 17, 2016 7:16 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
TJSI wrote:Got me today. I walked away from my computer for about an hour and MS had taken control. Cursed MS and cursed myself for not doing a recent back-up.

Well so far no problems. At least I won't have to deal with the annoying pop-ups asking me to upgrade.

Just think how life will be when the "Internet of Things" happens an MS can do anything they want to you.

If I can never sign on to Bogleheads again, you will know why.

TJSI
If you don't like it, you can revert back to your previous OS within 30 days.
If you are lucky. My mom upgraded her machine a few months ago after Microsoft kept bugging her... Huge mistake.

The upgrade broke her Canon scanner. Also broke her Acronis True Image backup program.

Much worse, the downgrade process (within 30 days) didn't work ! Windows said there was some incompatible driver and it couldn't revert.
I tried to get her to restore from backup over the phone, but since TrueImage had been broken, there was no way to do it.
The Trueimage boot CD had issues running also.

The upgrade broke the Windows remote desktop access, also, so I can't help her over the phone with any of the process.

She lives 6000 miles away. I'm usually her tech support. Now, she is on her own. Not sure when I will be able to visit her next to fix this mess. Might not be this year.

harrychan
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by harrychan » Tue May 17, 2016 7:54 pm

1210sda wrote:Thank you. I found the little vertical line. It's almost off the screen. W/O your help I would not have found it.
Thanks
1210
You can also do windows button + d. That'll give you your desktop.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

User avatar
macaroon
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:06 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by macaroon » Tue May 17, 2016 8:16 pm

I had to force my laptop to not download the Windows 10 upgrade because it's incompatible with a program I want to keep. I've used Quicken Medical Expense Manager for years but it's no longer supported by Intuit. I think when I first started using it I had Windows 98. It has continued to work through Windows 7 but it won't work under Windows 10. If anyone knows of a similar program that will track medical expenses, EOBs, etc., please post!

jebmke
Posts: 8365
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by jebmke » Tue May 17, 2016 8:21 pm

macaroon wrote:I had to force my laptop to not download the Windows 10 upgrade because it's incompatible with a program I want to keep. I've used Quicken Medical Expense Manager for years but it's no longer supported by Intuit. I think when I first started using it I had Windows 98. It has continued to work through Windows 7 but it won't work under Windows 10. If anyone knows of a similar program that will track medical expenses, EOBs, etc., please post!
I am surprised that your insurance company doesn't keep track of this online. My current (UHC) and last (Aetna) insurer had nice detailed tables and downloadable data.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1405
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by 1210sda » Tue May 17, 2016 9:02 pm

harrychan wrote:
1210sda wrote:Thank you. I found the little vertical line. It's almost off the screen. W/O your help I would not have found it.
Thanks
1210
You can also do windows button + d. That'll give you your desktop.
Thanks, it works for me.....it"s even a toggle to get back.

1210

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2515
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by wander » Tue May 17, 2016 9:04 pm

1210sda wrote: Seems Microsoft just got tired of me not installing 10 on my own and went ahead and installed it for me.
How?

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by munemaker » Tue May 17, 2016 9:13 pm

1210sda wrote:When I got to my PC this morning, I was un-Pleasantly suprised with Windows 10 staring back at me.

Seems Microsoft just got tired of me not installing 10 on my own and went ahead and installed it for me.

I decided to see what it does, so I went ahead and finished the full installation. Maybe I could have
opted out, but I couldn't find a way to do it.

I've been playing around with it and it seems sort of OK. My biggest hassle is that they forced me to
do it.

Has this happened to anyone else??

1210
P.S. How do you find the original "desktop"?
Same thing happened to me today. When it asked me to accept the license, I declined and then it automatically spent about 30 minutes to reload Windows 7. The nerve of them!

Jeff Albertson
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: Springfield

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by Jeff Albertson » Tue May 17, 2016 10:09 pm

CNET has an article on this -
http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-wind ... aky-pushy/
Microsoft has a new way of trying to get Windows 10 onto your computer, whether you want it or not.

Users of Windows 7 and 8.1 have become familiar with -- jaded by, even -- the insistent, seemingly daily popups urging them to "Get Windows 10." Those messages have started taking a more aggressive turn.

Instead of simply giving you the option to install its latest operating system (or not), Microsoft now automatically schedules a date and time to update your PC to Windows 10. If you don't want the software update or if you want to change the installation date, you have to take deliberate action: manually click a link in the message, then choose to reschedule it or cancel it altogether.

Kinda sneaky, isn't it? Especially compared with the messages you've been seeing. If you click the OK button, thinking you're just getting rid of the message, the automatic update is scheduled. You'll then find Windows 10 on your PC sometime over the next several days without realizing that you agreed to it.

User avatar
fishnskiguy
Posts: 2595
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Sedona, AZ

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by fishnskiguy » Tue May 17, 2016 10:48 pm

I have custom built $4000 desktop computer overclocked and water cooled just to run Microsoft Flight Simulator under realistic conditions. MSFS won't run on anything newer than W7. I can't beat W10 away with two sticks. Dang you Microsoft! :x :x

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 4047
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by whodidntante » Tue May 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Windows 10 is optional, unless you decline.

jebmke
Posts: 8365
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by jebmke » Wed May 18, 2016 7:38 am

There are earlier threads on how to edit the registry to block the W10 updates.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

chx
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:52 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by chx » Wed May 18, 2016 8:08 am

So which is worse: waking up to see that Microsoft has tenifiedyour computer, or waking up to see that Vanguard has brokerified your account?

RF
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by RF » Wed May 18, 2016 8:09 am

i also finally gave in and update to window 10. it works fine then last month I start getting
"Critical Error. Start menu and Contana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in" :annoyed :annoyed :annoyed

I can't use the browser but other application seems ok. I haven't get around to figure it out how to deal with it
Dell thinks its random occurrence but when i google it , it seems frequent enough to generate some complaints and remedy

Not impressed so far. I am back using my Apple computer

SamB
Posts: 822
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:17 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by SamB » Wed May 18, 2016 9:05 am

I have two PC's and one laptop. The only PC I have successfully installed 10 on was the oldest, running 7. I initially went through the upgrade and then decided to take the revert option because it was slower. The reversion was unsuccessful and the result was that I could not reboot in any mode. I installed the original Windows 7 OS, and then did the 10 install on top of that OS. There were no other SW apps installed. I got a clean 10 install without any corruption.

Dell will not support 10 on my old laptop, and true to form 10 will not work on that laptop.

I tried to upgrade from 8.1 on the new PC, and both times the upgrade resulted in numerous sources of corruption. For example right clicking the mouse over the left appearing windows logo provides a menu with half the options missing. Half the tiled apps won't load, etc.

I learned from my experience with the old laptop when it got fried doing the 10 reversion. I reloaded a disk image, and I would recommend that anyone doing an upgrade make a disk image. That is the safest way to revert to your old operating system. Do not trust the reversion route within the 10 OS.

My approach to prevent the upgrade is to just delete the Windows update, KB3035583 and then hide it. Microsoft may revise this update to cause it to reappear, so you have to check occasionally to make sure it has not been added again. Hopefully, this problem will all go away in July when Microsoft starts charging for 10.

If I had to account for my time wasted on Windows 10 at this point it would probably be about 20 hours. The only successful upgrade was obtained by completely wiping the old system plus apps and then installing 10 on top of a fresh Windows 7 install.

I am amazed that Microsoft can do this sort of thing and not be liable for the losses because they are huge. I may just visit the local Apple store and hand them my credit card. No matter what Microsoft does their products are a lot like driving an old MG sports car from the 60's. You have to work on it every 500 miles to keep it running.

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 10324
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by nedsaid » Thu May 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
nedsaid wrote:Yes, the very same thing happened to me. I actually have been pleased with Windows 10, it was the easiest operating system upgrade that I have ever done. I use it on my main computer and also on my laptop. Quicken 2014 works with it. I had a very minor printer issue easily fixed. Even the scanner works.
Artsdoctor wrote:Yes, had the same thing happen to me. I've been using it all morning and haven't had a problem, although I've used it on other PCs previously. The difference in speed is pretty significant for me (upgraded from Windows 7 on that particular machine).
Do you mean we tech-challenged types shouldn't worry if the sneaky upgrade comes in the middle of the night? :?:
If you don't want Windows 10, don't leave your computer on overnight and connected to the internet. Microsoft is getting more aggressive. Not sure if you can avoid it altogether. You might have to do a registry fix.

I only wanted to delay Windows 10. I wanted to be sure the bugs were fixed and wanted to delay the upgrade until I had more time to deal with potential problems. For a period of time, you can roll it back from what I understand.
A fool and his money are good for business.

User avatar
Artsdoctor
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by Artsdoctor » Thu May 19, 2016 12:48 pm

I've gradually warmed to the idea of night-time upgrades. The concept is a little unnerving, but I've made my peace with it. All of my Microsoft files are up-to-date, and I'm told by our hospital IT people that the benefits outweigh the risks. I'm still skeptical but accept it.

I've also noticed a few sites that I need for work and investments are now stating that they require Windows 10 to function properly.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2283
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by TravelGeek » Thu May 19, 2016 12:50 pm

SamB wrote: I am amazed that Microsoft can do this sort of thing and not be liable for the losses because they are huge.
Yup. It's a bit like GM breaking into your garage overnight and swapping out your car radio for a "better" one that unfortunately no longer has a CD player.

There is plenty of software that doesn't run on Win10, and plenty of people who are happy with Win7 and have no desire to spend time learning new stuff when there really is no need to.

FullYellowJacket
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:21 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by FullYellowJacket » Thu May 19, 2016 12:58 pm

I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

If you are having to go to your desktop very often, you are likely using WIndows in a very inefficient manner. windows search plus quick directory shortcuts should make performing tasks on Windows seamless.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2283
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by TravelGeek » Thu May 19, 2016 2:43 pm

FullYellowJacket wrote:I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

If you are having to go to your desktop very often, you are likely using WIndows in a very inefficient manner. windows search plus quick directory shortcuts should make performing tasks on Windows seamless.
But that's where my 537 icons are :)

FullYellowJacket
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:21 am

Re: Arrgghhh !!! Windows 10 installed overnight

Post by FullYellowJacket » Thu May 19, 2016 4:25 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
FullYellowJacket wrote:I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

If you are having to go to your desktop very often, you are likely using WIndows in a very inefficient manner. windows search plus quick directory shortcuts should make performing tasks on Windows seamless.
But that's where my 537 icons are :)
I have a meeting once a week where the person running the meeting connects their laptop to the monitor instead of using the room computer. You can see on his desktop he has multiple folders labeled "old", "old 2", "old 3", and so on followed by rows and rows of word docs, spreadsheets, and powerpoints.

I don't know how people live their lives like that.

Post Reply