Is it OK to leave home wifi on?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
akblizzard

Is it OK to leave home wifi on?

Post by akblizzard » Mon May 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Wifi security question. When I use a tablet or laptop to log on to my home wifi, sometimes I can see a few surrounding networks belonging to neighbors, sometimes I see none. Sometimes I see one or two, sometimes as many as 5. So the thought just hit me the other day - is there a security (or other) reason to shut down my wifi? Am I seeing my (smarter) neighbors powering theirs off for security reasons, or is it normal to not see all nearby networks all the time? I've always left mine on 24/7.

Sidney

Re: Is it OK to leave home wifi on?

Post by Sidney » Mon May 16, 2016 2:02 pm

If you are using a strong encryption key and the latest encryption protocol, you should have no issue with leaving WIFI on.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon May 16, 2016 2:02 pm

I leave mine on all the time, but I don't leave any computers turned on. If someone has been casing the neighborhood and knows what wifi are usually on I'm afraid he might suspect I'm gone if mine isn't on too.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

drg02b

Post by drg02b » Mon May 16, 2016 2:09 pm

It's probably not that others are turning their wifi off, but that the signal is not strong enough to give you a consistent "ping" at different points in the day. As long as you have security, there's no reason to turn it off, unless you bogle-head your electric bill by the penny.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon May 16, 2016 2:09 pm

My network has always been "passworded".
I guess someone could hack their way in.
I have been wireless for well over 12 years.
Never turned the wi-fi off.
No problems as of yet. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Mon May 16, 2016 2:10 pm

You're okay leaving it on but I would set the SSID to hidden.

-Steph

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon May 16, 2016 2:12 pm

I leave mine on 24x7 when I am home.

But if I am going to be away from home for more than one day, I shut down the modem/router all together. My neighbor used to leave his modem/router on all the time, but he started shutting down the modem/router every night after two of his routers broke. So, it could be that leaving them on all the time could shorten the useful life.

I wonder what BH IT experts say about this issue.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Mon May 16, 2016 2:16 pm

HueyLD wrote:I leave mine on 24x7 when I am home.

But if I am going to be away from home for more than one day, I shut down the modem/router all together. My neighbor used to leave his modem/router on all the time, but he started shutting down the modem/router every night after two of his routers broke. So, it could be that leaving them on all the time could shorten the useful life.

To OP, leaving it on is fine, just use a strong password. Some of your wifi connected devices may want to use the wifi (TiVO, a laptop doing a network backup, whatever) at night. And anyway, manually turning it off and on daily is a pain unless you are a true believer in energy conservation, and then the what, 6 watts the wifi router uses is probably not your biggest power issue.

To the above, shorter lifetime of modem/router could well be low quality power, may want surge protector or UPS? Others in bogleheads have attributed short lifetime to power issues.

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon May 16, 2016 2:25 pm

HueyLD wrote:So, it could be that leaving them on all the time could shorten the useful life.

I think it's feasible.
But not a big enough issue for me to do anything about it.
I have always supplied mine via power from a UPS, and now have it on a high quality pure sine wave, so power quality is not a concern.

katzmandu

Post by katzmandu » Mon May 16, 2016 2:28 pm

As long as you dont mind the increased electric bill :)

I unplug mine from late night until I get home in the afternoon the next day. No sense in handing ConEd money for nothing.

drg02b

Post by drg02b » Mon May 16, 2016 2:30 pm

katzmandu wrote:As long as you dont mind the increased electric bill :)

I unplug mine from late night until I get home in the afternoon the next day. No sense in handing ConEd money for nothing.
Alternatively, you could buy one of those nifty mechanical timers... It might pay for itself after 5 years. :)

tcassette

Post by tcassette » Mon May 16, 2016 2:36 pm

+1 for the previous responses. Make sure your wireless router security mode is set to strong encryption like WPA2 Personal, and your password is a hard to crack combination of numbers, letters, and symbols. If you have been running your router without security, maybe the reason you have not been consistently seeing the SSIDs of your neighbors is that they have been using your connection! :wink:

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm

Be aware what systems in your home might use your wifi.

I routinely turn off my router when I will be away for a week or more. Early October I set off on a 1-month trip to France. Last thing I did before leaving was to turn the router off. Upon my return I discovered that the Tivo box I had set up a few months earlier had failed to record many of my programs. It wasn't until a few days later that I realized Tivo only sends programming to the box 2 weeks out. When I shut off the router I shut off the stream of future programming for my recurring shows. :oops:

So look around and think about what gadgets you have that might rely on your wireless network even when you are not there.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Mon May 16, 2016 3:00 pm

akblizzard wrote:So the thought just hit me the other day - is there a security (or other) reason to shut down my wifi? Am I seeing my (smarter) neighbors powering theirs off for security reasons, or is it normal to not see all nearby networks all the time? I've always left mine on 24/7.
Shrug. Mine's on 24/7. I also keep a desktop machine/local server running 24/7.

Do spend some time with the manual for your router and enable the security measures that make the most sense for you.

The ones that make sense for me are:
* use WPA2 for wireless,
* choose a wireless password that is resistant to brute forcing,
* change the default admin password for the router, and
* disable admin access to the router from the internet or from wireless (i.e., admin via direct wired connection only).

FWIW, some routers can be configured to be active only at certain times of day, similar to a programmable thermostat. Not worth the bother to me. Maybe if you have children that can't resist using the iPad when they should be asleep.
Last edited by House Blend on Mon May 16, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petiejoe

Post by petiejoe » Mon May 16, 2016 3:01 pm

SRenaeP wrote:You're okay leaving it on but I would set the SSID to hidden.

-Steph
Hiding your SSID will make it more difficult for you and your guests to connect and/or troubleshoot connection problems. However, it will not add to the security of your wifi. The people with time, tools, and ability to crack into your properly encrypted wifi will have absolutely no problem sniffing out an SSID that is not broadcasting.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/de ... re-secure/ has more details.

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon May 16, 2016 3:27 pm

Routers are designed to be on all the time. I would worry more about the effects of repeatedly turning it off and on. I don't have any actual data though.

Some router models let you automatically disable wifi access on a schedule, or limit access to specific devices.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon May 16, 2016 4:01 pm

Mine is on all the time. When I'm away I use webcams so as to monitor my house and cats when I'm away. Thus the router needs to be on, though the computer is off. Also I need it to keep my Tivo up to date. I use secure encryption and it is password protected. No worries.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Mon May 16, 2016 4:07 pm

HueyLD wrote:... So, it could be that leaving them on all the time could shorten the useful life.

This used the be a frequently debated issue regarding PC's, in one camp you had those who believed the moving parts (fans, hard disk drives) would wear over time and letting them run for hours when not used definitely decreased the life, in another camp were those who explained the most frequent failures were in power supplies and in relatively passive electronic components - turning the devices on and off created cycles of heating and cooling that would introduce cracks in capacitors and other components (especially if they were "cheap" - manufactured to poor standards). Just leaving the device on so it would stay at a relatively constant temperature prevented this.
I think now'a'days, it's just presumed that most tech devices will be very outdated in a couple years, it's useful life will be shortened more by technological advances than by deteriorating from usage.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Mon May 16, 2016 4:20 pm

cheese_breath wrote:I leave mine on all the time, but I don't leave any computers turned on. If someone has been casing the neighborhood and knows what wifi are usually on I'm afraid he might suspect I'm gone if mine isn't on too.
How does your WiFi broadcasting identify your home address?
Regards, | Bob | Wiki

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Mon May 16, 2016 4:21 pm

I turn ours off every night to save money. It's on a power strip with the modem and printer. All the idling phantom loads on this one power strip burn about 20Watts. This saves about 73 kWh per year (10 hours a night/365 days a year -- actually more when we go on vacation). I do this with every other phantom load in the house -- shredder, TV, stereo -- you name it. It adds up, or rather subtracts down. Power consumption is under 2600 kWh per year for the household.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon May 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Bob B wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:I leave mine on all the time, but I don't leave any computers turned on. If someone has been casing the neighborhood and knows what wifi are usually on I'm afraid he might suspect I'm gone if mine isn't on too.
Just name it "Neighborhood Watch Task Force" or anything you think might encourage those nefarious casers to move on to a neighborhood without such vigilance.

My own SSID has been given a particular name solely for the enjoyment I receive imagining my neighbors' reactions when it pops up on their radar :beer

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon May 16, 2016 4:41 pm

Bob B wrote:
Good point. I hadn't thought about that.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon May 16, 2016 4:48 pm

Part of my last job was hacking into wifi. If you're using WPA2 with a strong password, there's currently no plausible security reason to turn it off. It would take a small data center to break WPA2 in a reasonable amount of time. Someone sitting in a van outside isn't going to do it.

One of my coworkers lived in an apartment building where one of the neighbors had his SSID set to "Get your own wifi, b*tch!" We were always tempted to crack it just cuz, but the fear of getting fired for doing something illegal always stopped us.

I leave my wifi on 24/7. With all the things that run on wifi now, I think the house would fall over if it were turned off.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:00 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Bob B wrote:
Good point. I hadn't thought about that.
There are lots of wifi signal strength tools that a person can install on a cell phone to pinpoint the source of a wifi signal, so, yes, a savvy potential thief could probably narrow down the source of the signal.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Mon May 16, 2016 6:06 pm

Nobody turns their wifi off, your tablet just isn't picking up their signals all the time.

ianferrel

Post by ianferrel » Mon May 16, 2016 6:13 pm

Bob B wrote:How does your WiFi broadcasting identify your home address?
It's not very hard to figure out the general location of a wifi router. If it's inside your house, then they'll know which house it belongs to.

It's like if you had a neon sign on top of your house that was sometimes on and sometimes off. When it's on, it's pretty easy to tell which house it belongs to; it's the one with the big glowing sign on it!

The fact that you and I can't see EM radiation in the wifi spectrum doesn't make it hidden. It just means someone needs to run some software on their laptop so it'll tell them which houses have which bright glowing 2.4 GHz transmitters in them.

jimbowman

Post by jimbowman » Mon May 16, 2016 6:17 pm

That would take some dedication to turn on/off your wifi router every day to save like $7 a year in electricity.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon May 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Seems like it kind of depends on where you live.

In my suburb with 1/2 acre lots there are only 2 neighbors who can see my wifi signal and the only ones I can see are theirs. One is a retired couple who watch our cats and the other is a co-worker. Unless someone parks in my driveway they won't even see the signal. My signal is secure but I wouldn't be very worried about it if it wasn't.

On the other hand, when I visit my mother-in-law who lives on the 12th floor of a high rise condo in a major metro area I can see about 40 different wifi routers and God only knows who is out there in different buildings or different floors hacking away. I'd be following every single safety and encryption protocol to the max and would still be paranoid about who might be sniffing around.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon May 16, 2016 6:24 pm

jimbowman wrote:That would take some dedication to turn on/off your wifi router every day to save like $7 a year in electricity.
''

I suppose you could put it on a timer switch to only turn on during the hours you are home and using it.

Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:10 pm

Also, keep in mind some of the "wi-fi" signals you see coming and going may be portable hot spots from phones and cars which are starting to become more common. I saw a commercial recently where this phone feature has been included in the car.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Mon May 16, 2016 8:54 pm

I started turning our routers off at night when several went bad on us. I thought they were overheating. We have been through many routers and this seems to make them last a little longer. I don't know.

Anyway, I have been concerned about SSID broadcast, but when I tried to turn if off it said WPS would not work. :? We are on one-acre lots here but still I can see 6 other networks including some smart aleck called NSASurveillanceVan.

There's one in every neighborhood I guess.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon May 16, 2016 9:24 pm

Home wi-fi is intended to be left on all the time.

There is nothing to prevent you from turning it on and off if you like.

I have an elderly relative who has one of those digital programmable picture frames. It is meant to be left on and rotates through photos. She turns it on, watches the pictures and then turns it off, kind of like a TV.

My reason for mentioning that is that you don't have to leave the router on all the time as intended. You can turn it on and off as you like. It would seem like you are seriously inconveniencing yourself by doing so.

wander

Post by wander » Mon May 16, 2016 9:26 pm

I do not like to turn off the wifi router at all. Almost all light bulbs burned out when I turn them on. Longest burning light bulb was installed in 1901Firestation #6, Livermore, California and has been left 24 hour a day.

sco

Post by sco » Mon May 16, 2016 9:32 pm

Leaving Wifi on makes no difference really. What you are seeing is weak signals crossing a threshold or not...
Any of the current encryption methods are eventually breakable. Shut the PC down if it has data on it, for various reasons including mechanical.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon May 16, 2016 9:35 pm

You could install a motion detection system to turn it off whenever there's nobody in the room. :twisted:

patrick

Post by patrick » Mon May 16, 2016 9:36 pm

I recently checked my router, which was supplied by Verizon. Surprisingly, it uses about 12 watts when on but idle. This is quite a power hog compared to my laptop (from 2012) that only uses 7 watts when on but idle.

just frank

Post by just frank » Tue May 17, 2016 4:41 am

The computer advice on the site is weird, but then so am I.

I have had my wifi open with no password for 13 years straight 24/7. Too much of a PITA for our guests when they come and go otherwise. Other than our neighbors deciding to use our wifi sometimes (?) when theirs is down, I don't see a downside.

If some skeezy guy starts sitting in my driveway playing on his laptop, I might have to reconsider.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Tue May 17, 2016 7:08 am

petiejoe wrote:
SRenaeP wrote:You're okay leaving it on but I would set the SSID to hidden.

-Steph
Hiding your SSID will make it more difficult for you and your guests to connect and/or troubleshoot connection problems. However, it will not add to the security of your wifi. The people with time, tools, and ability to crack into your properly encrypted wifi will have absolutely no problem sniffing out an SSID that is not broadcasting.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/de ... re-secure/ has more details.
I haven't found that to be the case at all. It's simply a matter of manually entering the SSID vs auto-detect when connecting. Frequent visitors have their devices set to automatically reconnect when they're in range.

I don't doubt that a determined person will have no issue sniffing out my SSID but why be the low hanging fruit?

-Steph

simmias

Post by simmias » Tue May 17, 2016 7:16 am

just frank wrote:The computer advice on the site is weird, but then so am I.

I have had my wifi open with no password for 13 years straight 24/7. Too much of a PITA for our guests when they come and go otherwise. Other than our neighbors deciding to use our wifi sometimes (?) when theirs is down, I don't see a downside.

If some skeezy guy starts sitting in my driveway playing on his laptop, I might have to reconsider.
What if your neighbors decide to surf for unsavory/illegal content while connected to your wifi?

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue May 17, 2016 7:18 am

JoMoney wrote: I think now'a'days, it's just presumed that most tech devices will be very outdated in a couple years, it's useful life will be shortened more by technological advances than by deteriorating from usage.
Not everybody runs out and spends money on newer stuff when what they have is fine for their purposes.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:26 am

Da5id wrote:

To OP, leaving it on is fine, just use a strong password. Some of your wifi connected devices may want to use the wifi (TiVO, a laptop doing a network backup, whatever) at night. And anyway, manually turning it off and on daily is a pain unless you are a true believer in energy conservation, and then the what, 6 watts the wifi router uses is probably not your biggest power issue.

To the above, shorter lifetime of modem/router could well be low quality power, may want surge protector or UPS? Others in bogleheads have attributed short lifetime to power issues.
I have my main electronics (LED TV, blu ray player, DVR, router...) plugged into a surge/power conditioner. I don't know if the extra expense to get the power conditioner for "cleaner/higher quality power" helps or not, but I haven't had any issues.

just frank

Post by just frank » Tue May 17, 2016 7:49 am

simmias wrote:
just frank wrote:The computer advice on the site is weird, but then so am I.

What if your neighbors decide to surf for unsavory/illegal content while connected to your wifi?
1. Why would they do that?
2. If they did, they would still prob use an untraceable IP anonymizer....why risk me catching them?
3. If they used an anoymizer through my wifi, I assume all IP packets would contain their unique NIC serial number.
4. If they subpoena'ed my devices, they would find no content.

:sharebeer

wander

Post by wander » Tue May 17, 2016 8:10 am

just frank wrote: 1. Why would they do that?
2. If they did, they would still prob use an untraceable IP anonymizer....why risk me catching them?
3. If they used an anoymizer through my wifi, I assume all IP packets would contain their unique NIC serial number.
4. If they subpoena'ed my devices, they would find no content.

:sharebeer
If a bad guy uses your WIFI for criminal act, I would think if they are traced, the IP address will find your home network since it is tied to ISP. The criminal will be long gone. Your computers will be taken away and examined for some time (or for a long time) before proving that you were not involved. I don't think I want anybody takes my computers, portable devices, phones away anytime. Sorry, nobody has any business to look into my private life.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Tue May 17, 2016 8:15 am

OMG, I live in 4 people per section(640 acre) country. I let my neighbor drive to my inside gate so she and her mother can use my guest WiFi. My financial laptop is wired, so all they might see is my response on Bogleheads. :beer

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue May 17, 2016 8:19 am

wander wrote: If a bad guy uses your WIFI for criminal act, I would think if they are traced, the IP address will find your home network since it is tied to ISP. The criminal will be long gone. Your computers will be taken away and examined for some time (or for a long time) before proving that you were not involved. I don't think I want anybody takes my computers, portable devices, phones away anytime. Sorry, nobody has any business to look into my private life.
And they may use enough bandwidth to make your ISP peeved with you. Or do other things (spamming or participating in DOS attacks from their infected computers for example). Not clear to me why one would leave their wifi easy to access to strangers, seems risky.

just frank

Post by just frank » Tue May 17, 2016 10:17 am

And a burglar could break into my house and make crank calls.

Don't you guys know about the 'dark internet'? You really think criminals are driving around the 'burbs and hacking wifi's so they can perform untraceable cyber-crimes? From my driveway? :oops:

just frank

Post by just frank » Tue May 17, 2016 10:19 am

Da5id wrote: And they may use enough bandwidth to make your ISP peeved with you. Or do other things (spamming or participating in DOS attacks from their infected computers for example). Not clear to me why one would leave their wifi easy to access to strangers, seems risky.
When this happens I put up a passwd and am happy to have pissed Comcast off. I have no love for them.

Again I still wonder why my neighbors do this?

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue May 17, 2016 12:20 pm

One possible problem with leaving home wi-fi on is that the wi-fi light may blink all the time even when nothing in your own home uses wi-fi (i.e. all devices are turned off).

Even Comcast wi-fi experts did not know how to address the issue of constantly blinking wi-fi light. They insisted that blinking wi-fi light was normal.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue May 17, 2016 1:01 pm

just frank wrote:
Da5id wrote: And they may use enough bandwidth to make your ISP peeved with you. Or do other things (spamming or participating in DOS attacks from their infected computers for example). Not clear to me why one would leave their wifi easy to access to strangers, seems risky.
When this happens I put up a passwd and am happy to have pissed Comcast off. I have no love for them.

Again I still wonder why my neighbors do this?
Might just be a visitor there, might be somebody in range. I guess I'm just risk averse. I don't wait until my bike is stolen to lock it up. I agree the chances of bad outcomes with an unlocked wifi are not extreme, I just don't want to lock it after I find out what bad things can happen...

While I dislike Comcast (and all cable/internet providers I have ever had to some extent), I wouldn't go out of my way to offend them if they are the only game in town...

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue May 17, 2016 1:06 pm

just frank wrote:You really think criminals are driving around the 'burbs and hacking wifi's so they can perform untraceable cyber-crimes? From my driveway? :oops:
This was the field I worked in at my last job. This is exactly what they do. They don't have to be sitting in your driveway. A good yagi antenna can easily reach over a mile.

If the criminal activity is happening on your wifi, the feds will break down your door, arrest you, and keep all of your computer equipment for a very long time. They will eventually figure out that it was probably some guy in a van in the parking lot of the strip mall, but by then you will have spent money on a lawyer and a new laptop.

And don't get me started on the guy next door using your wifi for kiddie porn. It happens.