Best moving option

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dwade1109

Best moving option

Postby dwade1109 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:36 am

I am moving from Pennsylvania to Florida and am looking at moving options. I have a couple of mitigating circumstances which make this slightly more unusual than most:

1) I am covered up to moving expenses of $5000 (which includes me flying down, since I don't have a car)
2) My lease up here expires July 1st, so I need to ship my stuff before that
3) I will be traveling so I will not be moving into my new Florida place till mid-August

I have family in the area where I am moving where I could park my stuff in a POD or similar storage unit. But what I really need is a) someone to help pack up my stuff in a POD here, b) my POD to be shipped down non-urgently to the area and delivered to my new place. That would avoid having to move the POD again once it gets to Miami.

Any ideas? I figure PODs or Ubox is the best way to go but have had zero experience with how efficient and customer-friendly the two are.

Thanks!
Jay

texasdiver

Re: Best moving option

Postby texasdiver » Sat May 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Just went through this process myself.

For your circumstances, a POD move is really the only viable option. Make sure the company has service in both your point of origin and destination, they don't serve everywhere.

Some general suggestions.

First, get rid of as much stuff as you can, especially cheap bulky furniture that is easier replaced than moved and all those heavy old college books you never look at anyway.

Second, you can hire moving help locally at either end to pack and unpack. Some advertise on craigs list. But the companies like PODs also have affiliated local movers that you can hire through them.

Third, if you are looking for boxes I have found that Home Depot has the cheapest supply of moving boxes of any place. MUCH cheaper than U-haul or buying through PODS. Except that the packing tape is cheaper at Wal-Mart.

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Sat May 14, 2016 12:37 pm

so, texasdriver, you have successful home purchase?
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

adamthesmythe

Postby adamthesmythe » Sat May 14, 2016 2:04 pm

Ask a regular moving company about storing your stuff in a warehouse. I did this once on a cross-country move, admittedly a long time ago. They stored things for several months.

As far as packing is concerned- you can pay to have it done, but you may have less breakage if you do it yourself. Such was my experience.

texasdiver

Postby texasdiver » Sat May 14, 2016 4:11 pm

itstoomuch wrote:so, texasdriver, you have successful home purchase?

Yes...

Sold our existing house in Texas in 12 hours with multiple offers. Waco is getting to be a hot market.

We finally found one in Washington that our realtor knew about that hadn't hit the market yet and managed to buy it before the owners listed it. That market is even more crazy. At least a half dozen houses we were interested in got sold in less than a day before we even had a chance to look at them. Difficult buying in a hot market when you are long distance. We were lucky.

mega317

Postby mega317 » Sat May 14, 2016 7:57 pm

How much stuff do you have? I moved a 1 bedroom apartment 2,000 miles for $4,000. This included the moving company doing all the packing. It was great--they brought all the boxes and supplies. I sat in the courtyard reading and relaxing while they packed and loaded. It's not too much more expensive; they want to do the packing because they can load the truck more efficiently. If you already have a new place you can have a family member meet them to open the door for unloading, otherwise use a storage unit. That was cheaper than a pod when I last looked.

terran

Postby terran » Sat May 14, 2016 8:56 pm

texasdiver wrote:Third, if you are looking for boxes I have found that Home Depot has the cheapest supply of moving boxes of any place. MUCH cheaper than U-haul or buying through PODS. Except that the packing tape is cheaper at Wal-Mart.

An even cheaper option is going to the back of a grocery store (inside the store), finding the doors to an employee area and asking if they have any boxes you can have. The boxes eggs come in have worked well for us in the past, although they're a little on the big size for heavier items. Liquor stores are another good option.

texasdiver

Postby texasdiver » Sun May 15, 2016 9:19 am

terran wrote:
texasdiver wrote:Third, if you are looking for boxes I have found that Home Depot has the cheapest supply of moving boxes of any place. MUCH cheaper than U-haul or buying through PODS. Except that the packing tape is cheaper at Wal-Mart.

An even cheaper option is going to the back of a grocery store (inside the store), finding the doors to an employee area and asking if they have any boxes you can have. The boxes eggs come in have worked well for us in the past, although they're a little on the big size for heavier items. Liquor stores are another good option.

Having moved several times in the past decade I will suggest that you will find actual moving boxes far superior. They are designed to be all the same size or multiples of the same size measurements which will allow you to make nice floor to ceiling stacks of rows of boxes in the moving truck or container. If you use a whole bunch of random sized boxes you will end up with tippy uneven rows of boxes in the moving truck that will allow the load to shift around under transit and be a lot less stable. A properly packed load will fill up the entire space with boxes that are all fitted snugly together so nothing can shift or vibrate while under way. Then the odd sized furniture pieces should be wrapped up in moving blankets and fitted in so they are also snug and can't shift or vibrate.

gretah

Postby gretah » Sun May 15, 2016 2:29 pm

I had a great experiences with POD when moving to a city two states away.

I've had problems in the past with mover theft. POD - none of that!

lthenderson

Postby lthenderson » Mon May 16, 2016 9:15 am

Most moving companies will store your stuff for long periods of time while you are in transit. This way you can get full service packing on the front end and they will carry it in on the other end. I've moved myself many times and I've done full service twice and full service is definitely the way to go. I generally tell them to save the couch and television until last so I can relax while they are packing and then they are also first off the truck so I can relax while they are unloading. The latter may not happen though if you have to store things for a month.

Woodshark

Postby Woodshark » Mon May 16, 2016 1:16 pm

We moved a state away this past fall. I found out you can hire people to just load or unload the moving van. Go to movinghelp.com
I rented a UHaul and hired people to pack it. I drove the moving van and hired another crew to unpack it. It went very well and I saved a fair amount of money.

Katietsu

Postby Katietsu » Tue May 17, 2016 9:45 am

-How much stuff are you moving?
-Do you want someone to do your packing or just the moving/loading/unloading?
-When is you Florida place available?
-How important is it to you to stay below a cost of $5000?

toddmorris

Postby toddmorris » Tue May 17, 2016 9:50 am

texasdiver wrote:
terran wrote:

Having moved several times in the past decade I will suggest that you will find actual moving boxes far superior. They are designed to be all the same size or multiples of the same size measurements which will allow you to make nice floor to ceiling stacks of rows of boxes in the moving truck or container. If you use a whole bunch of random sized boxes you will end up with tippy uneven rows of boxes in the moving truck that will allow the load to shift around under transit and be a lot less stable. A properly packed load will fill up the entire space with boxes that are all fitted snugly together so nothing can shift or vibrate while under way. Then the odd sized furniture pieces should be wrapped up in moving blankets and fitted in so they are also snug and can't shift or vibrate.

I have to agree here. I would get a bunch of free boxes off of someone on Craigslist for a local move but for something further away (non-local) investing in similar sized moving boxes is going to save you a lot of headache on the other side of your move. I recently move to a new home built by these guys (http://raleigh.mckeehomesnc.com) and that's exactly what I did to save money on moving supplies since the new house pretty much cleaned out all my extra savings. It was a local move so it all worked out.
Last edited by toddmorris on Tue May 31, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Postby Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:54 am

A friend of mine sold everthing he owned except his huge sterio system and hundreds of pounds of Grateful Dead recordings. He packed into a Volvo wagon and small enclosed trailer, drove from Massachusetts to Texas and bought all new stuff. He had money to spare from a similar lump sum to yours and all his stuff was new.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

dwade1109

Postby dwade1109 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:24 am

Katietsu wrote:-How much stuff are you moving?
-Do you want someone to do your packing or just the moving/loading/unloading?
-When is you Florida place available?
-How important is it to you to stay below a cost of $5000?

-Ideally I want everything turnkey since I am being reimbursed
-My florida place won't be available for 6 weeks after I move out of here
-Pretty important, the only reason I'm not being as frugal as usual is the reimbursement

I spoke to PODS but they are not able to do everything in one day. Meaning that they want to drop the POD off the night before and pick it up the next day. That would be great except I live downtown and there is nowhere to park the POD overnight. Honestly, (and I told them this) I'd rather the company left the POD on the truck and just moved my stuff into the POD and drove way but they will not do that.

sesq

Postby sesq » Thu May 19, 2016 10:44 am

You may want to look at the Pod's competitor ABF U-Pack. Perhaps they would be more flexible in reaching a solution.

http://www.upack.com/about/compare-portable-storage.asp

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”