how much cash do you carry in your wallet?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JoMoney

Re: how much cash do you carry in your wallet?

Post by JoMoney »

$20 in the U.S., $50 in Australia, and I try not to spend it... just as a backup/emergency if I find myself in a situation where I can't use a credit card. If I have to spend it / break the note, I'll use the change on gasoline, get a new bill from the bank and try to avoid using it again.
It's a bit more difficult in Australia as it's more common for places to add in a surcharge for using credit, and I'm not about to pay more - the main reason I use the credit card is for the cash back bonus... which is a crazy thing since it helps drive up the cost to vendors who pass the expenses on, but I didn't make up this system I'm just adapting to what they're rewarding me to do... :?
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
sfchris

Post by sfchris »

$100-$300. Many taxicabs and a decent amount of bars and restaurants around here do not take cards.

Post by 123 »

$100 to $200 usually. Over the last year I've migrated most of my spending to credit cards for groceries, gas, etc (paid off in full every month). I used to always use cash for day to day purchases so I wasn't "tracked" (for whatever value that had). But since I started carrying a smartphone I realized I was tracked everywhere so I was only fooling myself. I've reduced my visits to the ATM by from 4 to 1 per month.

Most of our cash spending is meals out, either restaurant or takeout. If I don't frequent a store a lot I tend not to want to use my credit cards there.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
c078342

Post by c078342 »

Over the years I've reduced carried cash to around $5 to maybe $40 if I've just reloaded. The only real cash requirement I have is when I play golf with the boys and settle up our bets afterward - but there is a $10 max so again not much requirement for cash. (The cash goes towards the drinks -- nobody actually leaves the table with any money in their pocket.) Otherwise, a debit card or more recently Android pay works for me.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Dave81 wrote:I've noticed that people differ a fair amount in how much cash they carry around. I very rarely have more than $100 and often less. This is because I pay for most things with cards, plus carrying large amounts of cash makes me uncomfortable. One time someone who owed me about $300 offered to give me cash and I said I'd actually prefer if they used PayPal!

I can't really justify my reluctance to carry more than $100 in rational terms. But I am curious what other people do and why.
Not really reluctant to carry large amounts of cash around, I just have no need. Most everything I buy goes on the Fidelity Visa, and gets paid off once a week. There are a couple of blue-plate restaurants here in town that won't take plastic, so I typically carry around a few bucks, but almost never more than about $60 or so.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

I usually have between $30 and $60. More if I'm traveling.
De gustibus non est disputandum
expat

Post by expat »

$0.00
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

I have an "emergency" hundred folded up and hidden in the wallet. Other than that, zero. If I go somewhere that doesn't accept cards, I'll usually turn around and walk back out.
FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket »

I usually have a couple ones on me in case I want a snack or diet coke from the vending machine.
FrugalYankee

Post by FrugalYankee »

Usually less than $20. I use the credit card whenever possible.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Just reached into my pocket and pulled out a soggy old $5 and I think I have a new $20 in my wallet.

Quick story about being robbed. On our honeymoon in Spain, we were boarding the metro in Madrid and 4 young guys were heading out let us in the door and then all bumped my, one grabbed around my ankles looking for an ankle wallet two other grabbed under my arms, guess thinking I had one of those neck wallets. I pushed they off and they ran out the door. My wife looked at me and asked if I still had my wallet. Well I keep a throw away wallet in my left front pocket and yep it was gone - never felt the pick. They got a few pesos and some change. luckily I had a money belt.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

I usually carry about $80 dollars in my wallet. It is easier when using a drive-thru, my closest take-out place has a minimum larger than my orders, and I don't like to use a credit card at sit-down restaurants because that seems the easiest way to get your number stolen. Oftentimes cash is faster when making small purchases. I rarely use the debit card except at the ATM.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

livesoft wrote:I stopped carrying a wallet. I carry only a drivers license and a credit card around nowadays.

How long can you go without spending any cash? For me, practically indefinitely.
It might be more interesting to see when the last time you used an ATM was. I bet I use one less than twice a year. I bet I spend most of my time with less than $50 in my wallet.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Around $25, for garage sales.
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

It's not a good idea to carry more than about $300 in cash unless you're willing to have it seized in a traffic stop under civil forfeiture laws.
Index Fan

Post by Index Fan »

20 bucks.
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Cheyenne wrote:It's not a good idea to carry more than about $300 in cash unless you're willing to have it seized in a traffic stop under civil forfeiture laws.
I had to look that up. That's a little scary but good to know. Evidently, folks are trying to get that system reformed.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

Somewhere between $20 and $200. I like not having a record of what I spend on beer, so cash it is.
hikeandbike

Post by hikeandbike »

I give myself $250 a week, in cash, to spend. That covers my grocery shopping, going out, and any miscellaneous purchases. Easiest way to stay on budget. I use my credit card for gas and times when nothing else will work.
For me it's too easy to go over budget when I'm using a credit card for my daily purchases. Easier to track when you can look at your budget in your hand - in 20 dollar bills.
BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy »

A ten, 2 fives and 10 ones but I charge just about everything so that cash has been in my wallet for months.
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Right now about $250 but that is because I just got my payout from a march madness bracket contest. I normally have <$100.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

pennstater2005 wrote:
Cheyenne wrote:It's not a good idea to carry more than about $300 in cash unless you're willing to have it seized in a traffic stop under civil forfeiture laws.
I had to look that up. That's a little scary but good to know. Evidently, folks are trying to get that system reformed.
They police allegedly confiscated $5 billion last year. Meanwhile thieves supposedly only raked in $2.7 billion!
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

Usually between 2,000,000 and 5,000,000. But almost no place here takes cards, so it is cash for everything, even utilities bills.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

$50.00
"We have seen much more money made and kept by “ordinary people” who were temperamentally well suited for the investment process than by those who lacked this quality." Ben Graham
SGM

Post by SGM »

I need cash for small purchase such as coffee and bagels and to more quickly leave a restaurant. Some gas stations charge more for credit card purchases. A few other places do not take cash or charge more for cc purchases. Lunch or dinner at the local Lodge costs less for cash. Some places run by volunteers do not take credit cards. A local center that offers some interesting courses does not take credit cards in the cafeteria or to pay for the courses. Otherwise credit cards are more convenient and company is good about catching any fraudulent charges. I might be dragged to a tag sale that requires cash.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I do not carry a wallet. My wallet is left at home but it does have $20 in it, my daughter will likely get that next week for her school lunch.

I carry 1 credit card and my passport card beneath my phone cover.

Driver's license stays in my car clipped to visor with my vehicle regisration.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I try to keep $0 in my wallet.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

livesoft wrote:I stopped carrying a wallet. I carry only a drivers license and a credit card around nowadays.

How long can you go without spending any cash? For me, practically indefinitely.
I have to agree with livesoft.
amarone

Post by amarone »

I average about $150 although the only regular cash transaction I have is my bridge - $10 two to three times per week. Why as much as $150? So I don't have to go to the ATM too often.

I would never feel comfortable with zero cash. After all, it is useful to be able to bail out those people who smugly tell you they never carry cash, just before they ask if they can borrow some for the collection at work/snack machine/tips/donation jar/parking meter....
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Related to the fraud charge, I recently changed my account settings to send me a text for every transaction over $1. Now that's a little crazy if you ask me, but I'll immediately know if there was a charge that I didn't swipe ;)
+1 I usually get a text in restaurants before the waiter/waitress comes back with the card. I crosscheck it almost daily on my cc website so I can check the tip was correct or look for < $1.00 charges. Note Bank America does not have real-time text, it lags a business day or two.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
scotthal

Post by scotthal »

I usually have $60 to $200 in my wallet ($20's), under $50 in my money clip ($1, $5, $10's), & $500+ in the belt ($50, $100's).
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

$50 hidden inside one of the wallet pocket for emergency and around $30 for places that don't take cc.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I usually have about $25-100 in my wallet. Currently 70 dollars. Mostly used for a few places we like to eat that don't accept cards. We use credit cards for everything else. Mostly use 2% cash back card.
TroutMD

Post by TroutMD »

I am in the minority, maybe I need to rethink.

I grew up very much a cash only person, but flipped to a near 100% CC person for the miles/bonuses.

Regardless, I usually carry around 1000 in my wallet, probably ranges from 500-1500. It lasts longer and longer, and these days I mainly only hit it to pay off a college girl.... (Babysitter when the wife and I go out)

I travel a fair amount, but even then Uber has decreased the need for cash.

I don't have an ATM card but the wife does. I keep a cash kitty at the house and replenish occasionally from the bank. Haven't been robbed or home broken into yet, but probably will now that I broadcasted this on the net!
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

I am famous in my family for always having money tucked away somewhere. Usually $30-50 cash, but 2-3 $100 bills (or the Japanese equivalent, since I live in Japan), tucked into pockets in my wallet. And always the same amount in the glove box of my car.
jsapiandante

Post by jsapiandante »

I was always taught to carry enough cash to give for tips. So I always have about $10 dollars in change. I only carry more cash if I'm on vacation, but, no more than $200 dollars. My wife and I take out $200 dollars in change every month and leave it in a drawer to replenish our wallets should the need arise.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

On most days, less than a dollar.
Zosi

Post by Zosi »

Practically zero cash in the wallet, I prefer not to weigh it down with inevitable coin change. Just rely on debit card/cc for purchases. 8-)
frankbrenowitz

Post by frankbrenowitz »

Occasionally, my wife will give me some cash for an allowance. Into the wallet it goes until she has need of it. The two twenties currently residing therein have been there for months.
miles2go

Post by miles2go »

$30-45. Never more than $50 unless for specific cash only purpose and can't remember doing that in ages. Used to take more on vacation but found I never used it in lieu of plastic. My parents meanwhile carry $100s...
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.
CT-Scott

Post by CT-Scott »

Usually $0 - $40. My wife gets upset with me when we're out and in [rare] need of cash and I look at her and smile. I don't remember the last time I went to an ATM.

My wife takes out $200-300 from the ATM every 3-4 weeks. It drives me crazy that she uses up that much cash, since I can't track what it's being used for in my spreadsheet, but there are a few times when we need cash (as I mentioned at the beginning of my reply) so my $0 cash balance isn't ideal, either.

I still carry around a very bulky "George Costanza" wallet, though, to carry my credit cards and all of the receipts I ask for when I use those cards.

My wife gets upset with me when we go through a McDonald's drive-thru and I use a card to pay for a $5 order. Hey, 2% cash-back on my Citi card! Every little bit adds up.
burt

Post by burt »

saltycaper wrote:About $100. Any more invites murder, as well as robbery. (Actually saw that in an old bank advertisement.)
30 years ago when visiting a large US city, I was told to carry $100-$200 cash so robbers wouldn't get mad and do something (more) violent.

burt
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Between $100 and $60. Not a debit card fan and use cash mostly for gas (to get 10c/gallon cheaper), small purchases instead of a debit or credit card.

The one thing I did learn when there is a major storm coming is to load up on cash. During Sandy our power was out for 4 or 5 days and cash was king. We were lucky that the next town had some restaurants open but some of those couldn't accept charges.

I also load up on cash when going on vacation. I like to limit the use of credit card to major institutions like hotels not for the local gas station or fast food chain. I feel there is probably less chance of my CC being compromised and if it is I rather deal with the CC company and a major institution than Joe's garage two states from home.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Couple hundred although I rarely use any other than a few ones or a five for a tip.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Never more than $200. Usually around $20-30. I use a credit card for almost all purchases.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sat May 07, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

furnace wrote:
saltycaper wrote:About $100. Any more invites murder, as well as robbery. (Actually saw that in an old bank advertisement.)
All true, and the opposite is also true. If you get held up by someone demanding "money" they are not going to accept a piece of plastic from you. You need to hand over cold, hard cash quickly, even if it's only $20. You are safe because you carry cash, but others without cash on hand may want to think twice :moneybag
The advice that I've heard was that if you give a mugger a couple of hundred they may say 'Thanks' and walk away happy whereas if you say 'I've only got $2 on me' they'll put a couple of bullets in you just out of spite.

Independent liquor stores in Ohio only accept cash for the hard stuff, so I need to carry enough for that and tips.
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

Usual cash withdrawal from ATM is $500. This is for 2 of us. Probably only 1-2 per month. Generally get more cash when my wallet goes under $200. Probably use more cash in US for car valet tips. Don't use coins really. Throw the small ones away and put the quarters in a bowl.
Last edited by SQRT on Sun May 08, 2016 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhysicsTeacher

Post by PhysicsTeacher »

Anywhere from $10 to $200. While I mostly use my credit card for the rewards and ease of record keeping, I prefer to keep a bit of cash available at all times. A few years ago when my husband and I were with a group of friends, I ended up buying movie tickets for most of the people we were with because the theater's card readers were down. I do tend to waste more money on Diet Cokes when I happen to have ones for the vending machine at work, though.
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

KlingKlang wrote:
furnace wrote:
All true, and the opposite is also true. If you get held up by someone demanding "money" they are not going to accept a piece of plastic from you. You need to hand over cold, hard cash quickly, even if it's only $20. You are safe because you carry cash, but others without cash on hand may want to think twice :moneybag
The advice that I've heard was that if you give a mugger a couple of hundred they may say 'Thanks' and walk away happy whereas if you say 'I've only got $2 on me' they'll put a couple of bullets in you just out of spite.
Yes. This makes sense. I believe the advertisement was suggesting that if you had enough money on you, the mugger would figure it worth their trouble to go to your home to get more, and then murder you. (Posted partially in jest; the bank advert was probably a century old.)
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

A few decades ago my spouse was mugged in a parking garage after coming out of a building with a bank. She had less than $2 in quarters on her. She had not gone into the bank. The perps were not the brightest folks and went to jail.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.