Sci-Fi ... your favorite movies and episodes??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
vested1

Re: Sci-Fi ... your favorite movies and episodes??

Post by vested1 »

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Time Machine (1960)
Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)
Riddick (2013)
Blade Runner (1982)
War of the Worlds (2005)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
The Blob (1958)
StarGate (1994)
Avatar (2009) looking forward to the additional sequels
Terminator (1984)
Alien (1979)
Day of the Triffids (1951) for unintentional laughs

T.V.
The Outer limits
The Twilight Zone
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

t3chiman wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:...
The beginning scene is as good as any I have ever seen in an SF movie, still.
All those flaming smokestacks, sirens, supposed to be so futuristic. Just seemed like a normal South Side Chicago eastern sky scene to me. 50's and 60's that is. All the mills were gone by the mid-70s.
Flying cars? 700 storey Tyrell Corporate HQ? The (unexplained) reasons why it is always raining in Los Angeles?

The style, and this is even more clear in the Director's Cut, is deliberately "future retro" -- the future as Raymond Chandler would have sketched it.

Add to that the Vangelis soundtrack, and the Skimmers, and on a big screen it is just mesmerising.
But the rest of the movie floored me. The owl across the screen, then Sean Young, with that 1940s outfit, 1940s hairstyle, 1940s makeup, casual cigarette..."You like our owl?". High drama that wears well.

Again the homage to Chandler (which is reflected in the plot as well). In the novel (for reasons never explained) it's made more clear that live animals are very rare and incredibly expensive. This is a different world.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

JonnyDVM wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:
detroitbabu wrote:Gattaca. Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman.
A very underrated and thought-provoking movie. Not just about genetic engineering and discrimination, but about other things (to say more would risk a spoiler..).

The scene where he can't cross the highway is one that just sticks with me ... (again avoiding spoilers).

The Launch Control Center is actually The Orange County Library which was also in:

- Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (as the City Center-- ie OC City Centre)

- Philip K Dick's notes etc. are kept there
I'm glad there are other people that appreciate that movie as much as I do. One other sort of obscure movie from around that same time period that was one of Roger Ebert's all time sci-fi favorites- "Dark City". Worth watching if you haven't seen it.

It's funny, coincidently on Monday I was trying to explain "The Fifth Element" to a younger co-worker. "It's soooo gawd awful terrible it actually becomes entertaining on a different level for how bad it is." Sort of hard to explain that angle.
Gattaca is genuinely what Science Fiction should be about. Minority Report could have gone there, but was too directly manipulative.

Not sure I could stomach Dark City from what I remember reading about the film.

Yup the 5th Element ;-). It did have Mila Jovovitch in it though ;-).
bpp

Post by bpp »

Movies:
The Day the Earth Stood Still (original)
Forbidden Planet
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Star Wars (original, without CG and with Han shooting first. Found all sequels and prequels progressively less fun than the original, though haven't seen the latest one yet.)
Blade Runner
Alien
Aliens

TV:
Star Trek (original series. None of the subsequent movies or series ever really had the same magic for me.)
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (adaptation of the radio series. Haven't seen the movie.)

Honorable mentions to Metropolis and The Shape of Things to Come for their visuals. (The latter is fairly tedious story-wise.)

Would like to see the 1972 Tarkovsky version of Solaris some time. (Aha, it's on youtube!)
bonustreats

Post by bonustreats »

Big fan of both Sunshine and Primer. Sunshine has a goofy premise (the sun is going out), but it technically great. Primer is a mindfuck - had to watch it 3 times before I could really understand what was going on.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

From the 1950s...

"Science Fiction Theater"

it hooked me on science forever.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

JonnyDVM wrote:on Monday I was trying to explain "The Fifth Element" to a younger co-worker. "It's soooo gawd awful terrible it actually becomes entertaining on a different level for how bad it is." Sort of hard to explain that angle.
That's how my brother and I feel about the entire SyFy channel. The other morning, I was making coffee to a Bigfoot film featuring Greg Brady from the Brady Bunch and Danny Bonaduce. When we get together, we like films that don't take themselves too seriously, especially at 1am.
BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp »

Amazing -- nobody has mentioned "Interstellar"!
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker
queso

Post by queso »

BarbaricYawp wrote:Amazing -- nobody has mentioned "Interstellar"!
Or the "X-Files" (not necessarily the 2016 reboot or the post-Mulder later seasons though...)
_robert

Post by _robert »

The Expanse (syfy)
Dark Matter (syfy)
Doctor Who (BBC)

Great series
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Alien, Aliens, Prometheus, Bladerunner, Star Trek Movies, Star Wars Movies, Predator, Avatar and I am looking forward to the upcoming Alien: Covenant.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

I am pleased to see "Forbidden Planet" on so many lists. It is the first modern science fiction movie, after you watch is so many later films and TV series seem derivative.

But nobody in my circles (family, work) has even heard of it.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
t3chiman

Post by t3chiman »

Valuethinker wrote:
t3chiman wrote:
All those flaming smokestacks, sirens, supposed to be so futuristic. Just seemed like a normal South Side Chicago eastern sky scene to me. 50's and 60's that is. All the mills were gone by the mid-70s.
Flying cars? 700 storey Tyrell Corporate HQ?
No, not a cinematic fake, a real 100 story Hancock building. Real airplanes, simultaneous arrivals and departures into O'Hare and Midway. Rapid transit trains sparking from 3rd rail contacts. And real fire from real smokestacks along the Southwest shore of Lake Michigan. I'm telling you, it was spectacular.
Valuethinker wrote: The (unexplained) reasons why it is always raining in Los Angeles?
For artistic reasons, the murky, rainy, atmosphere would alternate with the fine-grained, high contrast scenes. That's my guess. Coincidentally, I recently returned from a trip to Fuzhou, in Fujian Province, China. One night it rained, and the masses of bike riders wrapped in plastic, no lights of course, transported me into a Blade Runner frame of mind. I half expected to see one of the 12 foot wide storefronts labeled Chu's Eye World.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

bonustreats wrote:Big fan of both Sunshine and Primer. Sunshine has a goofy premise (the sun is going out), but it technically great. Primer is a mindfuck - had to watch it 3 times before I could really understand what was going on.
Primer is nuts and Sunshine is one of my favorite movies. If you like Primer, check out Coherence (scifi) and Triangle (possible supernatural explanation instead if scifi).

Other scifi films I really like:
Moon
Europa Report
Ex Machina
Edge of Tomorrow
Minority Report
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. I even visited Bodega Bay and the little inland church town where much of the school house scenes were shot. Watched gray whales feeding out at the Park, while watching a fox chase mice in a field not 40 yards from where we stood. What an enchanting area of our nation.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
bonustreats

Post by bonustreats »

oneleaf wrote:
bonustreats wrote:Big fan of both Sunshine and Primer. Sunshine has a goofy premise (the sun is going out), but it technically great. Primer is a mindfuck - had to watch it 3 times before I could really understand what was going on.
Primer is nuts and Sunshine is one of my favorite movies. If you like Primer, check out Coherence (scifi) and Triangle (possible supernatural explanation instead if scifi).

Other scifi films I really like:
Moon
Europa Report
Ex Machina
Edge of Tomorrow
Minority Report
Sweet, thanks! The other ones on your list are great, too! I would also add The Martian (since I don't think anyone's mentioned it).

I'm not sure if this qualifies as sci-fi (maybe a documentary about sci-fi), but Jodorowski's Dune was also an awesome look into a sci-fi movie that could have been.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Another voice in the chorus singing the praises of "Gattaca".

Glad to see another fan of "The Last Starfighter" too. Criminally underappreciated, that one.

Lots of other good ones mentioned so far. Farscape. Firefly. Galaxy Quest. Blade Runner. The "new" BSG. Doctor Who. Tron.

"The Inner Light" is the best ST:TNG episode, and I'll fight anyone who disagrees. :P

But how about...
  • Starman
  • The 13th Floor (the 1999 movie, not the earlier horror film)
  • Equilibrium
  • Soylent Green
  • The Apple (for the "so bad, it's good" category)
I would've added "Idiocracy", but I'm not so sure that's science fiction anymore. :(
Stay on target...
acanthurus

Post by acanthurus »

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonustreats

Post by bonustreats »

acanthurus wrote:Miyazaki's first big anime hit was a post apocalyptic science fiction movie adaptation of a manga called Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind). Strong themes of environmentalism with a princess that's not exactly out of the Disney mold (she's a pacifist that can handle a gun when needed). I watched it as a child and have a bit of nostalgia for it.

Since most Bogleheads don't pay much attention to anime I thought I'd recommend it. I'm not big into the anime genre but this one is worth a watch for sci fi nerds. Stick with the subtitled one unless you're showing it to your kids or something.
Wow! Never thought I'd see Nausicaa on these boards! Since we're doing anime :wink:

Akira, Neon Genesis, Ghost in the Shell, and Gargantia all are very sci-fi. Agree with acanthurus, subs are the way to go. All of these are NOT kid friendly (maybe Gargantia).
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I'm forgetting a lot. :)

TV: Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, MST3k (not sure if that counts), Battlestar Galactica (the newer one)
Movies: Star Wars, Star Trek, Avatar, The Road, Mad Max, Serenity, Miyazaki's anime, Alien series, Moon, Solaris, Galaxy Quest
Last edited by Elsebet on Thu May 05, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

acanthurus wrote:Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind).
FWIW, a lot of the people who worked on Star Trek: The Next Generation were anime fans and worked a few references into the show, including naming an entire alien race "Naussicans": http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Nausicaan
Stay on target...
Whiggish Boffin

Post by Whiggish Boffin »

Science fiction is a literature of ideas, and it's hard to make that work on screen. Even so, here goes:
Movies:
Forbidden Planet (see avatar -> )
And a couple nobody else has mentioned --
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension -- Wacky yet remarkable for internal consistency. Still looking forward to the sequel where Team Banzai takes on the International Crime League.
Battle Beyond the Stars -- Roger Corman's interstellar version of The Seven Samurai. Multi-stellar, too, featuring John-Boy Walton, Dr. Zorba, Conan the Barbarian's girlfriend, Tony Cumson, Napoleon Solo, Hannibal Smith, and Kathy Griffin as "alien extra".
Television:
Twilight Zone episodes "To Serve Man", "The Invaders", "A Game of Pool".
The Outer Limits episode "Demon with a Glass Hand"
Last edited by Whiggish Boffin on Wed May 04, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lhl12

Post by lhl12 »

While we're on Miyazaki, let's not forget Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away. All are fantastic. More fantasy than sci-fi, but definitely worth watching.

Also a +1 for Buckaroo Banzai - I thought I was the only one waiting for the sequel!
bpp

Post by bpp »

bpp wrote:Would like to see the 1972 Tarkovsky version of Solaris some time. (Aha, it's on youtube!)
Just watched it. Wow, what a beautiful film. Completely absorbing, very emotionally gripping and dreamlike.
Gonna have to watch this one a few more times. Also will have to check out Tarkovsky's other films some time, which are reputed to be even better.

Makes me want to read the book. And NOT see the George Clooney version.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

t3chiman wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:
t3chiman wrote:
Flying cars? 700 storey Tyrell Corporate HQ?
No, not a cinematic fake, a real 100 story Hancock building. Real airplanes, simultaneous arrivals and departures into O'Hare and Midway. Rapid transit trains sparking from 3rd rail contacts. And real fire from real smokestacks along the Southwest shore of Lake Michigan. I'm telling you, it was spectacular.
Well that may be the case-- I wasn't alive and in Chicago to see it (the air pollution project shots from Pittsburgh in the early 50s are really something, and ditto the London fogs of the same era).

As a vision of a future Los Angeles, I still think it is very powerful, and the best opening shot in any SF movie I can remember.

The whole point was (as with Alien, from memory the same set designer) was that the future would not look all spic and span and clean like 2001, it would be gritty and half finished and full of garbage.

Although i think it was based on Tokyo, then, there will be parts of modern China (Chungking?) that look a lot like the cities in Blade Runner (it is, after all, set in 2020 ;-) ).
Valuethinker wrote: The (unexplained) reasons why it is always raining in Los Angeles?
For artistic reasons, the murky, rainy, atmosphere would alternate with the fine-grained, high contrast scenes. That's my guess. Coincidentally, I recently returned from a trip to Fuzhou, in Fujian Province, China. One night it rained, and the masses of bike riders wrapped in plastic, no lights of course, transported me into a Blade Runner frame of mind. I half expected to see one of the 12 foot wide storefronts labeled Chu's Eye World.
Yes there were cinematic reasons (it rains in the movie The Big Sleep as well). But the point is it's never explained-- this Los Angeles of the future really is a *different* place in a whole host of ways that are never explained.

Since Ridley Scott went on to make Black Rain, which was set in Japan, I suspect the image of modern Tokyo was what inspired him.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Thu May 05, 2016 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

lhl12 wrote:While we're on Miyazaki, let's not forget Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away. All are fantastic. More fantasy than sci-fi, but definitely worth watching.

Also a +1 for Buckaroo Banzai - I thought I was the only one waiting for the sequel!
Yes they never made the sequel which was a pity. It was a kind of "Indiana Jones" but quite wry- -I think the fact that it didn't fit into any natural category of film killed it. What it really was (as was IJ and Star Wars) was an ironic take on the 1930s adventure serials that used to run in 30 minutes before the main picture ("The Mysterious Doctor Satan", "Buck Rogers" etc.).

One criticism I had of the original was that the dialogue was hard to hear, even with my ears then (early 1980s).

Agree re the other Miyazaki. Porco Rosso for example. Laputa.

A vote here for Ghost in the Shell (I have seen some of the tv series, but not the movie) which is about as close as we have gotten (so far) to a realization of William Gibson's Neuromancer trilogy, I think.

Let's not forget Star Blazers aka Space Cruiser Yamato. That was as good a space opera as anything by EE Doc Smith etc.
red5

Post by red5 »

midareff wrote:Interested in seeing what the group likes best. My all time favorites are Avatar as a movie, the last two episodes of Star Trek Voyager, where Janeway time travels to defeat the Borg and return Voyager home. The Stargate introductory movie, the Star Trek Enterprise season end and start episodes where Picard becomes a Borg and is saved. Star Trek of a young Kirk vs. Nero. OK, enough of mine, what about yours?
We have the same taste. I REALLY enjoyed Battlestar Galactica (the reimagined series).
lhl12

Post by lhl12 »

For those who are fan's of Frank Herbert's "Dune", you might also watch "Jodorowsky's Dune", which is an extraordinary documentary of Alejandro Jodorowsky's attempt to make "Dune" into a movie in the 70's. The cast was to include, among others, Salvador Dali, Orson Welles, and Mick Jagger. The movie didn't get made, but the attempt laid the groundwork for the rise of Sci-Fi films in the 80's and 90's. Highly recommended.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

bpp wrote: Would like to see the 1972 Tarkovsky version of Solaris some time. (Aha, it's on youtube!)
best part is when the protagonist arrives on the space ship wearing a leather jacket and carrying a garment bag!
big sci-fan, yet, IMHO, the versions that I saw were kind of dragging. okay to be thoughtful and contemplative, but I thought the movie versions were really mind numbing. Understand the author, Stanislaw Lem, was not happy with any of the (three) film adaptations
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Fun Fact...Torchwood...Doctor Who
anagram
sesq

Post by sesq »

Valuethinker wrote: Let's not forget Star Blazers aka Space Cruiser Yamato. That was as good a space opera as anything by EE Doc Smith etc.
I am planning to watch it with my kids this summer. Can't wait. This show was everything to me when I was a kid around their ages. Hope it stands up to the test of time.
mouses

Post by mouses »

David Jay wrote:I am pleased to see "Forbidden Planet" on so many lists. It is the first modern science fiction movie, after you watch is so many later films and TV series seem derivative.

Plus, Leslie Nielsen in his serious roles was seriously hot. I suppose people who only know him as a comedian would not believe that.

I forgot The Lathe of Heaven.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

David Jay wrote:I am pleased to see "Forbidden Planet" on so many lists. It is the first modern science fiction movie, after you watch is so many later films and TV series seem derivative.
ask them if they ever read or saw the play "The Tempest" written by Bill Shakes--something; the play's basic theme was creatively expanded and the film was a breakthrough in Sci-Fi movie-making that led to - in some cases - some very entertaining and thoughtful successors...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

shmidds wrote:Fun Fact...Torchwood...Doctor Who
anagram
ha!
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Lots of good stuff here, but on the authors list, no mention of Vernor Vinge?

"A Fire Upon the Deep" and "A Deepness in the Sky". I haven't yet read the 3rd one in that series. And, the sleeper "True Names". If you consider when that book was written it is one of the most prescient SF novels ever written. Novella.

And early John Varley! Especially the Wizard trilogy. Perhaps the best SF trilogy I've ever read.HIs early stuff is all great, but the last few years, meh.

Favorite movies:

Bladerunner
Iron Man

And I have high hopes for the Dr. Strange movie this fall...
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Favorite movies: kinda hard to remember over a period of 60 years, but probably "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "Earth vs The Flying Saucers". In more modern times, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", "E.T.", and the original (not re-made) "Star Wars". Honorable mention to "Mission to Mars" for pure drama value.

TV shows: the original "Star Trek", "Doctor Who" (with Tom Baker). Honorable mentions to the pilot episode of "Time Tunnel" (but not any of the other episodes) and to "Sliders", if for no other reason than Sabrina Lloyd. More recently, "Doctor Who" (with David Tennant and/or Matt Smith).

With a nod to the prevailing topic drift, I'll add in the book genre: "Methuselah's Children" and "Time Enough for Love" by RAH, "I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov, and the original "Foundation" trilogy by IA. If one were to add fantasy reading, I'm a huge fan of the "Belgariad/Malloreon" series of novels by David Eddings, and (with reservations) Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. (The latter recommendation only includes the first five and the last two books in the series; the rest can only be read if one is bedridden with nothing else to do.)
bpp

Post by bpp »

1530jesup wrote:
bpp wrote: Would like to see the 1972 Tarkovsky version of Solaris some time. (Aha, it's on youtube!)
best part is when the protagonist arrives on the space ship wearing a leather jacket and carrying a garment bag!
I also rather enjoyed the scenes of zipping around Tokyo on the ShutoKou in a self-driving car. And it was clearly meant to be Tokyo, with no attempt made whatsoever to disguise clearly-legible road signs ("To Ginza"), billboards and even license plates.
big sci-fan, yet, IMHO, the versions that I saw were kind of dragging. okay to be thoughtful and contemplative, but I thought the movie versions were really mind numbing. Understand the author, Stanislaw Lem, was not happy with any of the (three) film adaptations
I do understand Lem had a different focus in mind for the novel, which is why I have just started reading it.

But the Tarkovsky movie (haven't seen the others) just grabbed me right away for some reason. I found it very compelling, couldn't stop watching, though I could see how that would definitely be a matter of taste. Much like 2001, I suppose.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Thunderbirds (TV series 1965–1966)
The Twilight Zone (TV series 1959–1964), especially To Serve Man!
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat May 07, 2016 5:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

You all mentioned a lot of good ones. Have any of you finished Continuum on Netflix? I gave up mid way because the story got confusing.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

mouses wrote: ... Stargate SG-1 before it got messed up with Richard Dean Anderson leaving....
But in real life someone who is a Colonel as long as O'Neill (with two l's) needs to either be promoted or retire. So O'Neill was promoted to general. I thought Ben Browder (Chrichton on Farscape) was a good replacement. The killer IMO was the conquering of the Goa'uld. The Ori / Merlin thing didn't do much for me.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

The entire Star Trek franchise because of its hopefulness and humanity. Remember the episode with Frank Gorshin as an alien who was half white and half black... Who hated other aliens who were also half white and half black? Turned out that it mattered whether the black half was on the right or the left. Great episode during the civil rights era. Also the first TV interracial kiss between Kirk and Uhura. Of course, I loved Spock.

My dad had an early reel-to-reel tape recorder and I used it to record each ST episode and listen to it over and over until the next week's episode was on. Also Batman with Adam West. That was my childhood. :happy
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

JaneyLH wrote:... Also Batman with Adam West. That was my childhood. :happy
And as Batman would ask Robin...

"When is a door not a door?
(answer)
"When it's ajar."
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Haven't seen 12 Monkeys mentioned (The movie).

The usual suspects (ie, BladeRunner, Star Wars V, etc., - not the movie The Usual Suspects).

Earth Abides - George Stewart - does that count as Sci Fi? I liked it better than others of the genre. The Road. Again, not sure these are truly sci fi.

I have to say I liked the recent movie with Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise - Edge of Tomorrow.

1984 and Brave New World

Have always loved Ray Bradbury's short story, "All Summer in a Day", available to read free online:

http://www.btboces.org/Downloads/6_All% ... adbury.pdf
vested1

Post by vested1 »

How could I have forgotten:
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Not necessarily my favorites, but they all stand out to me:

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back
The Matrix
I Am Legend (does this count as sci-fi?)
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Interstellar
Escape from New York
Blade Runner
Snowpiercer
...and for comic relief:
Space Balls
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

letsgobobby wrote:

Have always loved Ray Bradbury's short story, "All Summer in a Day", available to read free online:

http://www.btboces.org/Downloads/6_All% ... adbury.pdf
:shock: In elementary school we watched the film adaptation of that story. I still remember it as it really stuck with me. You feel so bad for that little girl. I still remember in the film she reaches her hand into a little beam of sunlight that creeps under the closet door. I've always wondered what the name of the story was. Thanks so much for the link!

As an aside, there's another story the other class read in middle school that I've never been able to find if anyone knows what it is. The gist of the story is that an astronaut (I think) travels into the future and the humans there are essentially repulsed by him. I would love to read it if anyone knows the name of it.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

vested1 wrote:How could I have forgotten:
Good one. There was also a sequel to the book, After Worlds Collide. but I don't remember it being made into a movie.
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

Five Million Years to Earth (1967)
This movie scared the daylights out of me when I was a kid...

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

I read The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell last summer. It was good overall, but a couple of the chapters were absolutely lyrical. It's well worth reading because the best writing is in the first part of the book, in my opinion.
Topic Author
midareff

Post by midareff »

JaneyLH wrote:The entire Star Trek franchise because of its hopefulness and humanity. Remember the episode with Frank Gorshin as an alien who was half white and half black... Who hated other aliens who were also half white and half black? Turned out that it mattered whether the black half was on the right or the left. Great episode during the civil rights era. Also the first TV interracial kiss between Kirk and Uhura. Of course, I loved Spock.

My dad had an early reel-to-reel tape recorder and I used it to record each ST episode and listen to it over and over until the next week's episode was on. Also Batman with Adam West. That was my childhood. :happy

Absolutely remember the Gorshin episode... a real milestone highlighting the nonsensicality of color barriers.

Live long and prosper JaneyLH.

Anyone remember the movie Citizen X?