WOW fantastic Cars in the Wild

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
btenny

WOW fantastic Cars in the Wild

Post by btenny »

I went to Costco yesterday to shop and have lunch here in Phoenix. When I pulled into the parking lot I parked next to a very stunning car. It was a bright red Ferrari coupe right there in the regular folks parking. It was a stunning beautiful car and I gazed at it for while. All the time I was being careful to not touch it (alarmed for sure). I looked inside and saw this two tone plush cream leather and dozens of dash buttons and other console buttons unlike any car I have ever driven. You know launch control and rocket assist (kidding). It was way cool. I know it was sort of like a teenage moment. I knew it was expensive BUT I did not know how expensive. See here for pictures of one for sale in California.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... 9338&Log=0

Well today I looked up the car and it is a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta coupe. The one in the above ad is $389K. Yep almost $400,000 for a car and the one I saw was newer and nicer than this ad. So just WOW. So tell me what kind of cool cars are in your hood....

Good Luck....
LAlearning

Re: WOW fantastic Cars in the Wild

Post by LAlearning »

Love Ferraris.

I live in LA....so all of them. Which is nice.
I know nothing!
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I wonder what they could be buying at Costco that they think could fit into the trunk of that car...
BobDaBlob

Post by BobDaBlob »

A toothbrush...maybe a tube of toothpaste? Even in the multi-pack format from Costco, not much space required!
Too much of everything is just enough...
Topic Author
btenny

Post by btenny »

I probably blew it by not staying around my car and seeing who was driving. I probably missed the golden paparazzi photo shot and maybe big bucks reporting a star "slumming at Costco".....
sambb

Post by sambb »

Glad to see people spending their hard earned money. Ferraris can be very pretty, and I always look when I see them. Nicest car I saw recently, was a blue aventador roadster.
Teague

Post by Teague »

btenny wrote:I probably blew it by not staying around my car and seeing who was driving. I probably missed the golden paparazzi photo shot and maybe big bucks reporting a star "slumming at Costco".....
Or maybe it belonged to the owner of a plumbing, HVAC, or other successful local business?
Semper Augustus
c078342

Post by c078342 »

If the owner was parking in the
regular folks parking
you can bet this was a company car. My Porsches are worth maybe 20% of the Berlinetta but I would never park near other cars. There are those who deliberately door ding these cars and others that are just careless with car doors. The most expensive exotic I've ever seen in the wild was a Porsche Carrera GT (about $500k) at Lime Rock race track in Conn. THis may be a Bogleheads forum, but some lack of frugality/practicality must be accepted with respect to motorheads.
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

Professional athlete. His mama taught him well, but he still needs to show off. It's a fine line straddling the fence.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

My next-door neighbor's parents stop by all the time in their BMW i8 - personally think it is hideous. One of my best friend's drives a '14 Ferrari 458, just had his second kid so he bought a Tesla S as a family vehicle. A guy about a mile down the road has an entire stable (at least a dozen) of very highly customized European sports cars; he's one of the wealthiest individuals in the state.
Last edited by stoptothink on Sun May 01, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macheta

Post by macheta »

Did you leave a boglehead ad under the windshield wiper?
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

On the way to/from the grocery store today in Houston I saw 3 Bentleys, a Ferrari California, and a white Ferrari 458 (or a 488) in the store lot. Within a couple of miles of my house, there's a Rolls, a Ferrari 430, aA few Aston Martins, and a good old Ferrari 308GTB (just have to walk out to my garage for that one :wink: ).
halford1760

Post by halford1760 »

I was at a Walmart a couple (maybe even 3?) years ago and parked near a Lamborghini. I almost wanted to take a picture of it because of the Walmart context.

I also see a few exotics in my company's parking lot that's parked in the normal employee areas every now and them. They are likely employee cars, since it's usually the same cars just not every day (which is understandable).

One time, I was renting out a house and a candidate drove a Ferrari, I asked him about it and he said he works at an exotic used car dealership and has to drive them.

Unfortunately I'm not into cars so only know the brands and not models.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

I live just off the main route to the Hamptons (Long Island, NY). I see these kind of cars all summer long. The BMWs and Mercedes are the junky cars - lol.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

alpenglow wrote:I live just off the main route to the Hamptons (Long Island, NY). I see these kind of cars all summer long. The BMWs and Mercedes are the junky cars - lol.
I live in the snow belt and you seldom see cars like these in the wild. This spring we were driving on a local interstate (still a lot of grit on the road from winter) and a Ford GT passed my CR*V. I love the sound of the Ford GT and tucked in behind it. All of a sudden, my wife who was half asleep in the passenger seat noticed my speed and started screaming " ahhhh...you are going 95 mph...ahhh....ahhh" so obviously I had to back off at that point. LOL
midareff

Post by midareff »

Jeez... I've had some really "kool" cars over the years but nothing like a mega buck Ferrari. I had an Austin Cooper 1275 S in 1967 before anyone stateside had an idea of what that was. I've had Porches and raced them. I've gotten old.... and still have some car lust. I feel like I'm running out of time to scratch any remaining auto itches. I've got a beautiful C350 2013 loaded Benz with 17K miles ... and I do understand the difference between want and need. What's a motor-head to do?
Topic Author
btenny

Post by btenny »

Yes where I live in Phoenix is near the high rent district and lots of rich ball players and celebrities and business people live near by. Not sure that was the case with the Ferrari. It said Beverly Hills Ferrari on the Arizona license plate. It is very common to see BMWs and MB and so forth driven by nice looking ladies at the grocery store. Some are wives and some are professional women. It sure is fun to shop there. :D :D I also like to look at the Rolls and nice BMWs and MBs I see at church. Makes me smile to know they are there and helping "us poor folks". But the best is my old house was a few blocks from where Alice Cooper lived. He used to crank up the band and have parties and drive by in his Rolls convertible and tell people to come over for the party.

Good Luck.
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

No car guy:
I could see a Ferrari and may not even know, it was one. For all I know it could be a Chrysler.

I like the old jaguars. Very stylish. However I am too cheap to buy one.

When I see a car, which I fancy and realize it is Mercedes AMG, Rolls Royce or Ferrari, all I kind think of is "what a waste".

I am disappointed with my Subaru Forester and will not buy another one though.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

stoptothink wrote:My next-door neighbor's parents stop by all the time in their BMW i8 - personally think it is hideous. One of my best friend's drives a '14 Ferrari 458, just had his second kid so he bought a Tesla S as a family vehicle. A guy about a mile down the road has an entire stable (at least a dozen) of very highly customized European sports cars; he's one of the wealthiest individuals in the state.
I thought you lived cheaply. You live a mile down the road from one of the wealthiest individuals in the state? Your two different neighborhoods are that close?
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture »

I've seen a handful of highly exotic cars and hope to purchase a super car in my near future (give me a Lambo Aventador please) - but the one that made me turn around, go park, and take pictures was a mint condition Ferrari Enzo (quick look shows cheapest available to be in the $2.5million range: http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/res ... rrari/enzo.
Topic Author
btenny

Post by btenny »

Wildebeaste

I am sure you would notice if you parked next to this Ferrari. It was bright red and had lines like a posed panther. It looked like it was going 100 MPH setting still. And then the inside was just cool. All butter looking leather seats contoured to fit with deep side bolsters and tons of gages and buttons. I did not know what it was until I read the back and sides and then I knew what it was. Then I still had to come home and look it up on the internet to find the name. I am sure most guys would do the same. It is an amazing car. But not Bogleheadish.
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

btenny wrote:Wildebeaste

I am sure you would notice if you parked next to this Ferrari. It was bright red and had lines like a posed panther. It looked like it was going 100 MPH setting still. And then the inside was just cool. All butter looking leather seats contoured to fit with deep side bolsters and tons of gages and buttons. I did not know what it was until I read the back and sides and then I knew what it was. Then I still had to come home and look it up on the internet to find the name. I am sure most guys would do the same. It is an amazing car. But not Bogleheadish.
You are right.

There is beauty in forms and lines. And it can be very seductive. I feel bad I bought a new Subura for the safety features and I should have just thrown caution to wind and bought a car, which would express my inner Wildebeest.

Wildebeest
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

I love fantastic cars. I've seen a lot of nice cars, but one car stopped me and had me looking over the car for several minutes. It was a Porsche Carrera GT. I saw it in the mid 2005's. When I first saw it I had no idea what it was. I thought it was a lamborghini or some other car. When I walked to the rear of the vehicle I saw Porsche insignia. I was blown away. At the time, I thought most Porsches looked like the 911. Still the most beautiful car I've seen in person. I've seen a lot of nice cars since including the aventador, but the Porsche stands out. I love cars and I'm always on the lookout for WOW cars. What I don't see a lot of are classic cars. I would love to see a '69 Camaro or a '63-'67 corvette. They are my favorites and somewhat affordable. You don't see a lot of classics where I live. Regardless, I will still appreciate newer or older cars when I see them. I understand they are depreciating items, but I still love cars.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

HomerJ wrote:
stoptothink wrote:My next-door neighbor's parents stop by all the time in their BMW i8 - personally think it is hideous. One of my best friend's drives a '14 Ferrari 458, just had his second kid so he bought a Tesla S as a family vehicle. A guy about a mile down the road has an entire stable (at least a dozen) of very highly customized European sports cars; he's one of the wealthiest individuals in the state.
I thought you lived cheaply. You live a mile down the road from one of the wealthiest individuals in the state? Your two different neighborhoods are that close?
I do live very cheaply, we have a townhome, but we are in a nice neighborhood of a booming part of the country (North Utah County - Silicon Slopes) and live close to some major new tech money. There are many multi-million $ homes within walking distance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Pedersen is the owner of all the exotic cars; I see him around town all the time, usually at church - very flashy, but super nice guy. Among others, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_James and Keith Nellesen (co-founder of Vivint and Nuvi) also live "up the street", as in within about 3 miles. These tech moguls aren't all living on huge estates away from the general public.
Last edited by stoptothink on Mon May 02, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
acanthurus

Post by acanthurus »

I'd have more fun in full leathers on an S1000RR, but that is an awesome car.
Topic Author
btenny

Post by btenny »

I don't know. Going for a ride in one of these exotic cars might be as good. Think about spending a day at this Las Vegas racing school and car adventure. It might be as much fun as your BMW bike. I know two of my friends have done this and both said it was a blast. And both of them (husband and wife) ride full blown Harleys. She has a sportster that screams and she really can ride the thing. He has two bikes. I know my wife and I have talked about me doing this.

http://www.lasvegas.com/listing/exotics ... tour/2296/

Good Luck
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

btenny wrote:I don't know. Going for a ride in one of these exotic cars might be as good. Think about spending a day at this Las Vegas racing school and car adventure. It might be as much fun as your BMW bike. I know two of my friends have done this and both said it was a blast. And both of them (husband and wife) ride full blown Harleys. She has a sportster that screams and she really can ride the thing. He has two bikes. I know my wife and I have talked about me doing this.

http://www.lasvegas.com/listing/exotics ... tour/2296/

Good Luck
There is a world of difference between a sportster and something like a BMW S1000RR - you are talking about something that weights 25% more and has half the power. That's analogous to comparing a Chrysler Town & Country with a Ferrari. My actual track time in exotic sports cars is very limited, but I do have several hundred hours of track time on several different sport bikes (my last being a heavily modified CBR 1000RR). I have sat in the passenger seat in my buddy's Ferrari 458 several times and also his father's late model RUF Porsche, the visceral experiences are completely different...and considering my friend actually owns a S1000rr (and a series of GSXRs before that) as well, I'd bet he agrees.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

munemaker wrote:
alpenglow wrote:I live just off the main route to the Hamptons (Long Island, NY). I see these kind of cars all summer long. The BMWs and Mercedes are the junky cars - lol.
I live in the snow belt and you seldom see cars like these in the wild. This spring we were driving on a local interstate (still a lot of grit on the road from winter) and a Ford GT passed my CR*V. I love the sound of the Ford GT and tucked in behind it. All of a sudden, my wife who was half asleep in the passenger seat noticed my speed and started screaming " ahhhh...you are going 95 mph...ahhh....ahhh" so obviously I had to back off at that point. LOL
When I see an amazing car, and then catch up to it in traffic 30 seconds later, it kind of exemplifies the uselessness of having a car like that. Same thing, I suppose, when you chase down a GT with a CRV. Pretty much ALL cars are amazing nowadays, if you compare to when I was growing up. We used to have cars that won't even go 90 mph, nowadays I think you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't.
surfhb

Post by surfhb »

Id immediately sell it, retire and continue to drive 93 my Toyota Pick Up.

I rule! :sharebeer

Honestly, I would be embarrassed to drive that hunk o' junk around town
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

btenny wrote:I went to Costco yesterday to shop and have lunch here in Phoenix. When I pulled into the parking lot I parked next to a very stunning car. It was a bright red Ferrari coupe right there in the regular folks parking. It was a stunning beautiful car and I gazed at it for while. All the time I was being careful to not touch it (alarmed for sure). I looked inside and saw this two tone plush cream leather and dozens of dash buttons and other console buttons unlike any car I have ever driven. You know launch control and rocket assist (kidding). It was way cool. I know it was sort of like a teenage moment. I knew it was expensive BUT I did not know how expensive. See here for pictures of one for sale in California.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... 9338&Log=0

Well today I looked up the car and it is a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta coupe. The one in the above ad is $389K. Yep almost $400,000 for a car and the one I saw was newer and nicer than this ad. So just WOW. So tell me what kind of cool cars are in your hood....

Good Luck....
Well depreciation is high on "boy racers" ;-). You might get a deal on a used one.

In Knightsbridge, behind Harrods, in Central London, the local complaint is kids whose families only visit in August (typically from the Middle East) and own apartments there, drive around at 2, 3am with those roaring engines-- just like they would in the Middle East. It's hard in one sense to feel sorry for someone who lives behind Harrods (think Park Avenue in NYC) *but* there are people who have lived there for decades, before it got really expensive, and their lives are being ruined by noisy neighbours.

I would hate to have so much money sitting out so obvious in public. We have had gangs follow people with expensive cars and watches home, and do home invasions. Have they never heard of "stealth wealth"?

There was a guy who parked an E Type Jag on our street with one of those locking bars you clip to a steering wheel (apparently you can knock them off with a hammer in about 2 seconds). I think one in running order runs about £100k ($160k) so I thought he was being foolish. Plus the inevitable desire of the local "yoof" to key the paint of anything resembling a brand new sexy car.

I've never known anyone to have a second convertible (after the top was slashed on the first) and having your new car keyed is a London tradition.

In short, unless you've got your own bodyguard to mind the car, I wouldn't have one.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Chuck wrote:
munemaker wrote:
When I see an amazing car, and then catch up to it in traffic 30 seconds later, it kind of exemplifies the uselessness of having a car like that. Same thing, I suppose, when you chase down a GT with a CRV. Pretty much ALL cars are amazing nowadays, if you compare to when I was growing up. We used to have cars that won't even go 90 mph, nowadays I think you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't.
Roughly speaking, since 1980, the average HP of a US domestic car has gone up something like 70%. Car weight has fallen modestly (although I imagine SUVs are not in that number) and of course acceleration and top speed have increased commensurately.

It's why the 100 mpg car is not a pipe dream. If you took all of that creativity re engine etc. and pushed it to fuel economy, the petrol (gas) engined car could do that sort of mileage, at least in Imperial gallons ;-) (you are hitting theoretical limits somewhere there and I don't have the knowledge to know what those would be). Not bad for a powerplant which is inherently about 25% efficient ;-).
Last edited by Valuethinker on Tue May 03, 2016 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

stoptothink wrote:
HomerJ wrote:
I do live very cheaply, we have a townhome, but we are in a nice neighborhood of a booming part of the country (North Utah County - Silicon Slopes) and live close to some major new tech money. There are many multi-million $ homes within walking distance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Pedersen is the owner of all the exotic cars; I see him around town all the time, usually at church - very flashy, but super nice guy. Among others, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_James and Keith Nellesen (co-founder of Vivint and Nuvi) also live "up the street", as in within about 3 miles. These tech moguls aren't all living on huge estates away from the general public.
Jay Leno is more my kind of car owner.

He owns one of the largest private fleets of steam powered cars (and a mechanic team to maintain them ;-)). And he has a Dobie, I think there are only about 70 left in the world in running order.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

stoptothink wrote: I do live very cheaply, we have a townhome, but we are in a nice neighborhood of a booming part of the country (North Utah County - Silicon Slopes) and live close to some major new tech money. There are many multi-million $ homes within walking distance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Pedersen is the owner of all the exotic cars; I see him around town all the time, usually at church - very flashy, but super nice guy. Among others, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_James and Keith Nellesen (co-founder of Vivint and Nuvi) also live "up the street", as in within about 3 miles. These tech moguls aren't all living on huge estates away from the general public.
Do these people never read Elmore Leonard? (52 Pickup, Out of Sight etc.).

In the age of the internet it's a lot harder to keep your privacy-- both your wealth and things like Google Earth. Taylor Swift bought an apartment for her *bodyguards* ($5m, her apartment, Sir Ian McKellen's former Manhattan res, is $10m and across the hall).

Zuckerberg or Brin or Gates or whatever will go nowhere without their own heavies.

My cousins got done in Ireland-- apparently the really sophisticated gangs in the Republic are all IRA connected. They were tied up and gagged (my cousin had a heart condition and was in his 70s) in the house, and the criminals took several hundred thousand dollars of inherited Chippendale furniture.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Reminds me of the book The Hummer and The Mini.

Drives a gas guzzling $400k car, paying a personal property tax bill of ??? and insurance through the roof....and shops at Cosco to save a couple bucks??

I saw a brand new Excalade (~$100k) in the Walmart parking lot and thought the same thing.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

ddurrett896 wrote:Reminds me of the book The Hummer and The Mini.

Drives a gas guzzling $400k car, paying a personal property tax bill of ??? and insurance through the roof....and shops at Cosco to save a couple bucks??

I saw a brand new Excalade (~$100k) in the Walmart parking lot and thought the same thing.
Studies show that experiences have a bigger positive impact on our happiness than "things".

You will get the experience of driving the car whenever you drive it, I guess. But in this day and age a Tesla would probably give you something similar? For about 1/5th the cost?

The Costco thing is when we let our guard down, and we show what we were really brought up on. Note though in Germany, where they have a slow growing economy, you do see Mercedes and BMW in the Aldi and Lidl carparks.

Oddly the WalMart thing with a Cadillac makes a bit more sense. There the buyer is probably a person who identifies very much with America, American values (as they interpret them). Perhaps comes from modest roots. I knew a couple travelling in Europe who had Lincoln Continentals (back in the 80s) and were quite wealthy by virtue of building up and owning a large portfolio of rental properties in Oregon-- neither had finished high school. I am sure they would have felt comfortable shopping in WMT. And I would hazard a guess that is the sort of person who buys an American made luxury car? (American branded is perhaps a better description; I am not sure about Lexus, but both BMW and Mercedes now assemble in the Alabama, I believe).
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Valuethinker wrote: Studies show that experiences have a bigger positive impact on our happiness than "things".
Walmart and Cosco thrive on low prices and buying in bulk. If you can afford to drive a $400k car, the money savings just aren't there. Plus the hellish parking lots and long lines - I'm not buying it.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

ddurrett896 wrote:Reminds me of the book The Hummer and The Mini.

There are reasons to shop at Costco or Walmart besides just saving money. Both offer an "everything under one roof" experience. You can pick up a toy for your kid, a new coffee maker, groceries, and wine for your next party in the same trip. Lines aren't necessarily that bad if you aren't shopping at peak times.

Plus, people have different spending priorities. Someone could care less about fancy food but be really into cars. It's not that the savings are equivalent, it's just that someone doesn't place any value (perhaps even assigns a negative value) to the fancier places.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

I never understand the fascination with exotic cars. Sure they're neat...but is it really that big of deal? Then again...I choose not to waste my money on a metal box that I have to drive. I hate driving as is...traffic all over the place...no thanks...only drive when I need to.

And why would anyone be surprised to see an exotic car at a grocery store/target/etc etc. Im assuming a human drove it. My guess is that human has to buy toiletries and food at the very least.

I live in DC so I see exotic cars a few times a week. Guess im just desensitized to them at this point.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Jay Leno is more my kind of car owner.

He owns one of the largest private fleets of steam powered cars (and a mechanic team to maintain them ;-)). And he has a Dobie, I think there are only about 70 left in the world in running order.
The show Jay Lenos Garage is awesome. Dont let the garage part fool you though. He doesnt have garages. He has several airplane hangers he stores his cars in. They're inside an airport...so if anyone breaks in homeland security responds...not your local police.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

When I quickly read the OP's posting, this is what I read:-
Well today I picked up the car and it is a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta coupe. The one in the above ad is $389K. Yep almost $400,000 for a car and the one I saw was newer and nicer than this ad. So just WOW. So tell me what kind of cool cars are in your hood....
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Valuethinker wrote:
stoptothink wrote: I do live very cheaply, we have a townhome, but we are in a nice neighborhood of a booming part of the country (North Utah County - Silicon Slopes) and live close to some major new tech money. There are many multi-million $ homes within walking distance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Pedersen is the owner of all the exotic cars; I see him around town all the time, usually at church - very flashy, but super nice guy. Among others, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_James and Keith Nellesen (co-founder of Vivint and Nuvi) also live "up the street", as in within about 3 miles. These tech moguls aren't all living on huge estates away from the general public.

In the age of the internet it's a lot harder to keep your privacy-- both your wealth and things like Google Earth. Taylor Swift bought an apartment for her *bodyguards* ($5m, her apartment, Sir Ian McKellen's former Manhattan res, is $10m and across the hall).

Zuckerberg or Brin or Gates or whatever will go nowhere without their own heavies.

My cousins got done in Ireland-- apparently the really sophisticated gangs in the Republic are all IRA connected. They were tied up and gagged (my cousin had a heart condition and was in his 70s) in the house, and the criminals took several hundred thousand dollars of inherited Chippendale furniture.
All 3 of those gentlemen have lived in this area almost their entire lives and are very active in the community, and are very large reasons why there is the current tech boom here. Also, they are all LDS and there is some cultural pressure to stay in this area (Utah County is nearly 90% LDS). Same thing applies to the 4 founders of my company, one of the larger private employers in the state - all LDS, all still live within 10 miles of our global campus.
acanthurus

Post by acanthurus »

stoptothink wrote: There is a world of difference between a sportster and something like a BMW S1000RR - you are talking about something that weights 25% more and has half the power. That's analogous to comparing a Chrysler Town & Country with a Ferrari. My actual track time in exotic sports cars is very limited, but I do have several hundred hours of track time on several different sport bikes (my last being a heavily modified CBR 1000RR). I have sat in the passenger seat in my buddy's Ferrari 458 several times and also his father's late model RUF Porsche, the visceral experiences are completely different...and considering my friend actually owns a S1000rr (and a series of GSXRs before that) as well, I'd bet he agrees.
It's hard explaining the experience to non-bike people, isn't it? :wink: Folks just have no idea and can't tell an R3 from an R1. I remember the first time I rode a Z1000 I was woefully unprepared for what it could do.

This is the best video I could find to give people an idea of what superbikes are capable of. For Honda Civic money you can walk out of a dealership with something almost this capable (not that anyone should do that without a lot of experience first).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

stoptothink wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:

All 3 of those gentlemen have lived in this area almost their entire lives and are very active in the community, and are very large reasons why there is the current tech boom here. Also, they are all LDS and there is some cultural pressure to stay in this area (Utah County is nearly 90% LDS). Same thing applies to the 4 founders of my company, one of the larger private employers in the state - all LDS, all still live within 10 miles of our global campus.
Fingers crossed for them. I fully admit that it's an unlikely place for things to go wrong (my father used to bump into a billionaire doing his grocery shopping at the local superstore; that was in another part of North America). London is full of Russian kids (and Mexican, and Columbian, at least at times) because of the concerns back home.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

ddurrett896 wrote:
Valuethinker wrote: Studies show that experiences have a bigger positive impact on our happiness than "things".
Walmart and Cosco thrive on low prices and buying in bulk. If you can afford to drive a $400k car, the money savings just aren't there. Plus the hellish parking lots and long lines - I'm not buying it.
Maybe they send the chauffeur in the Ferrari to Costco?

Maybe it is the maid's car?

;-).

People are *not* consistent in their money and time preferences. The sort of person who can buy a Ferrari can be a cheapskate on tipping the table staff in a waffle house.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Valuethinker wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:

Fingers crossed for them. I fully admit that it's an unlikely place for things to go wrong (my father used to bump into a billionaire doing his grocery shopping at the local superstore; that was in another part of North America). London is full of Russian kids (and Mexican, and Columbian, at least at times) because of the concerns back home.
Not sure what you are getting at. If you are worried about being kidnapped for ransom, where exactly would be a safer place than Utah? Not all extremely wealthy people hole themselves up in their home, miles away from civilization. These also aren't celebrities, they are successful businessmen - 99% of the people they come in contact with out in public don't have a clue who they are. I only know because two of them are members of a board I am on and the third is the primary benefactor for the non-profit for which I used to work for.
MadDash335

Post by MadDash335 »

I live in a very nice part of a HCOL city- My neighbor has a custom garage under his home (reiterate: CITY) that houses an Audi R8 V10 Plus. I've also recently been seeing his brand new BMW M6 convertible.Then there's the Aston Martin that is parked sometimes next to the Merc G63 AMG...On the street. :shock:

All other spots on the street are occupied by BMW's, Mercedes, and Audi's

I'm in my late 20's and absolutely love cars, so living in a fun neighborhood where people enjoy the fruits of their hard work makes for some awesome people/car watching.
Topic Author
btenny

Post by btenny »

Maybe the car belonged to this guy. He lives close and seems to like Ferraris.

http://luxurylaunches.com/transport/fer ... ulator.php
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

btenny wrote:Maybe the car belonged to this guy. He lives close and seems to like Ferraris.

http://luxurylaunches.com/transport/fer ... ulator.php
:shock: What I could with a couple tens of millions of dollars.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

stoptothink wrote:
Not sure what you are getting at. If you are worried about being kidnapped for ransom, where exactly would be a safer place than Utah? Not all extremely wealthy people hole themselves up in their home, miles away from civilization. These also aren't celebrities, they are successful businessmen - 99% of the people they come in contact with out in public don't have a clue who they are. I only know because two of them are members of a board I am on and the third is the primary benefactor for the non-profit for which I used to work for.
The point is the world as a whole is a dangerous place-- although you and I can both name a place where that didn't/ doesn't seem to matter. And,in the world of the internets, privacy is a lot harder to keep.

Perhaps because I live in a city where the Royal Family doesn't do anything without impressive security*, and because there are all these kids here who have bodyguards at home, I am more aware of it.

* low key, but impressive- -the way you get cross examined if you chance to be in the vicinity. The US Ambassador's (British) motorcycle (armed) police used to have tea at the pavilion in our local park.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Valuethinker wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
The point is the world as a whole is a dangerous place-- although you and I can both name a place where that didn't/ doesn't seem to matter. And,in the world of the internets, privacy is a lot harder to keep.

Perhaps because I live in a city where the Royal Family doesn't do anything without impressive security*, and because there are all these kids here who have bodyguards at home, I am more aware of it.

* low key, but impressive- -the way you get cross examined if you chance to be in the vicinity. The US Ambassador's (British) motorcycle (armed) police used to have tea at the pavilion in our local park.
I'm well aware that very wealthy people experience risks that I'll never face and that may be increased by living among us mere mortals, but I'm not sure what expressing this to me (Average Joe) is attempting to accomplish. There are several new very wealthy people living in this area due to the tech boom and I happen to know some of them due to my career. Maybe I'll mention to Mr. Pedersen next time I see him in the hallway at church that it is unsafe for him to be driving his Mclaren in public :confused.