To do Fumigation or not?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FB01

To do Fumigation or not?

Post by FB01 »

Hello,

I just bought house which is 36 years old. We did Pest inspection and there are couple of spot where dry wood termite were found. I did the inspection with 3 companies and all 3 companies said Fumigation is not required as termites can be locally treated.

However am in double mind..do still I should go for fumigation as house is empty now? The Inspector said that fumigation is only guaranteed for 3 years and same if he treats local termite and after 3 year fumigation does not guarantee the dry wood termites will not come. They can come from neighbors house also.

Do you think I should go for Fumigation as cost is $1000 more? All 3 Inspection companies have told that Fumigation is not necessary and they don't recommend as at not many places dry wood terminate were found.

Thanks
JR
Thanks, | FB
littlebird

Re: To do Fumigation or not?

Post by littlebird »

I don't understand why you would still consider a $1000 procedure when you had opinions from 3 (3!??) companies that specialize in this work and stand to profit from it, and they all told you that the $1000 procedure is not necessary.

I'm glad to hear that none of them tried to over-sell you. Take their advice and since the house is empty, let them do the spot treatment they recommend before you move your family in. Get another inspection in a year. Good luck on the new house!
foreverihope

Re: To do Fumigation or not?

Post by foreverihope »

For that price i would tent the house but a lot of other factors can come into play that a company wont tell you in advance.If you have a screen encloser attached you will pay more than 1000 to have it pulled back and most likely re-screened so they can drop the tenting around it.Not one tenting (fumigation) tenting in my area will pay for any broken tiles on your roof if you have a tile roof.I asked the actual guys doing the work in my neighborhood how many tiles they would break on my roof, the answer was hundreds( hi profile tile delicate, hard to know where to step after the tarp goes up and the worker is carrying 60 lb).If these factors are not yours the success rate is much better with tenting and drywood termites have very small colonies(compared to sub-mites) so the odds of you even knowing you have a re-infestion within 20 years are pretty low.One advantage for tenting is all your wood furniture is termite free, so if your paying to tent put your wood inside before.If i had drywood termites, a shingle roof, no attached screen, would jump for joy and tent today in your spot.
The success rate of spot treating drywood termites is extremely low as no one can tell you where the termite are at the present time, they may be able to see holes where termite poo has been pushed out but thats only when they are getting ready to fly to a new spot in your house to start a new colony, which in my thoughts is too late.Good luck .