Mosquito control for home

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
TheOscarGuy
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: MA

Mosquito control for home

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:00 pm

We used a mosquito control company last year. They spread the control spray on surrounding shrubbery, trees etc. The total cost for the entire season was over $550. We felt that it worked initially in the season but not later. We also felt we overpaid. We live in suburbs of Boston metro area.

We want to do this DIY this year. Has anyone done it themselves? How effective was it if you did it? We have a large yard with good bit of lawn and shrubbery on perimeter. Are there any special things we need to worry about if we are doing this ourselves, apart from safety and wearing proper gear/clothes for the job.

centrifuge41
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 am

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by centrifuge41 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:14 pm

One of my friends looked into running one of these mosquito control operations (as a franchisee of the corporate). He stated that the company engineers the solution/spray, and that a similar spray isn't available from Lowe's/Home Depot.

User avatar
flossy21
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 2:04 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by flossy21 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:34 pm

I saw this article the other day. It might be a solution for you?

http://www.treehugger.com/green-home/mo ... traps.html

jebmke
Posts: 8279
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by jebmke » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:41 pm

One of the keys is eliminate any place they can breed. Also consider encouraging bats if you have the right habitat. We have a couple bat houses and once the season starts (soon) we will regularly get a few bats cruising the sky at twilight.

Our neighborhood has a program where we contribute an amount each season and a company monitors the mosquito level and if they get bad, they come through in the middle of the night and spray. They spray for adults and a larvaecide (we live on the water). We usually pay about $25-30 for the season for a 2.5 acre lot.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

alfaspider
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by alfaspider » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:55 pm

centrifuge41 wrote:One of my friends looked into running one of these mosquito control operations (as a franchisee of the corporate). He stated that the company engineers the solution/spray, and that a similar spray isn't available from Lowe's/Home Depot.
I understand they would SAY that as a way to convince people that they are providing something special so they can charge $500 to spray. The question is, what are they actually spraying and how is it different from other commercially available offerings? There are only so many chemicals out there that kill mosquitoes that are also safe to spray in your yard.

tyc
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by tyc » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:05 pm

Mosquito and begs are everywhere. Like human these begs need FRESH water. Look outside of your home to see if there as any area that may contain water. Removing unwanted fresh water could be your first step.

Valdeselad
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by Valdeselad » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:06 pm

I'm trying mosquito dunks this year for the first time....hoping for the best but the first time I put them out we had a huge rain the next day that washed everything away. :oops:


retiredjg
Posts: 33550
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by retiredjg » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:24 pm

I've got some standing water (fountain, bird bath) where mosquitoes breed. I use Mosquito Dunks - it kills the larvae and the adults don't live that long anyway.

Available in lots of places.

TheOscarGuy
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: MA

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:49 pm

Thanks!
I am getting this product at a better price from another vendor, but this is exactly the kind I was looking for.

TheOscarGuy
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: MA

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:06 am

I should also note that our property borders with a small lake and that could be where they lay eggs -- although I have seen fish in that lake. Its every year that we get a whole bunch of mosquito and on our property at least we dont have any still water.

jebmke
Posts: 8279
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by jebmke » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:12 am

TheOscarGuy wrote:I should also note that our property borders with a small lake and that could be where they lay eggs -- although I have seen fish in that lake. Its every year that we get a whole bunch of mosquito and on our property at least we dont have any still water.
Check on the products you intend to use. Many insecticides are highly toxic to fish and other animals. I live on the water also and my state is very punitive toward certain actions (for example, we can't cut down a tree -- even a dead one -- without getting permission). In addition to thinking about the responsibility for the water quality, there can also be severe financial penalties for contaminating bodies of water.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
fizxman
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by fizxman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:39 am

I'm trying to convince my wife to get a bug zapper. Looking at the customer pictures of this one on Amazon it appears to work well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004 ... pldnSite=1

TheOscarGuy
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: MA

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:00 am

jebmke wrote:
TheOscarGuy wrote:I should also note that our property borders with a small lake and that could be where they lay eggs -- although I have seen fish in that lake. Its every year that we get a whole bunch of mosquito and on our property at least we dont have any still water.
Check on the products you intend to use. Many insecticides are highly toxic to fish and other animals. I live on the water also and my state is very punitive toward certain actions (for example, we can't cut down a tree -- even a dead one -- without getting permission). In addition to thinking about the responsibility for the water quality, there can also be severe financial penalties for contaminating bodies of water.
Huh? Where did I say I am going to spray in the water body? The lake borders the property, the property is over 1.5 acre.

jebmke
Posts: 8279
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by jebmke » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:02 am

When it rains, where do you think the stuff ends up? btw, a lot of this stuff is extremely toxic to pets, especially cats. Not saying don't use it -- just know what you use and act accordingly.

I have 3 acres bordering water. There are some chems that if I used them and the state found out, I'd be looking at a $10K fine.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
jharkin
Posts: 1775
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 am
Location: Boston suburbs

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by jharkin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:04 am

Massachusetts DAR has a mosquito spraying program. You can contact your local office and report high mosquito activity and supposedly they will send somebody out and spray the entire neighborhood. Your taxes pay for this already so maybe worth a try before spending big $$$$$ on commercial operations.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/agr/pe ... ricts.html

I have tried spraying stuff from HD on my lawn perimeter and it doesn't do much so I may call this program this year.

retiredjg
Posts: 33550
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by retiredjg » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:40 am

TheOscarGuy wrote:Huh? Where did I say I am going to spray in the water body? The lake borders the property, the property is over 1.5 acre.
You didn't, but some of these products cannot be used within ____ feet of a body of water or stream. Read and follow the labels.

ddurrett896
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by ddurrett896 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:43 am

Talstar pro. You can buy it on Amazon

jcchen
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by jcchen » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:50 am

We also live in metro Boston but in a heavily wooded lot. Last year we used a spray specifically marketed at killing mosquitos. It worked well. Now we dont get bitten in our yard. Application was easy; it sprays via a garden hose.

Here is a link to an example. I think HD & Lowes each carries 2 brands both with the same active ingredient. We used the more concentrated one.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_114974-316-HG-6 ... Id=4441845

jebmke
Posts: 8279
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by jebmke » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:17 pm

retiredjg wrote:
TheOscarGuy wrote:Huh? Where did I say I am going to spray in the water body? The lake borders the property, the property is over 1.5 acre.
You didn't, but some of these products cannot be used within ____ feet of a body of water or stream. Read and follow the labels.
Exactly. Also, the MSDS, which the manufacturer is required to make available (normally is online) has details on toxicity and potential environmental risks.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 12737
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by abuss368 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:33 pm

I would consider Napalm.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

FullYellowJacket
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:21 am

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by FullYellowJacket » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:36 pm

I moved from the south last year.

Getting away from mosquitoes was in the top five reasons for me to go.

I would try to be more helpful, but literally nothing works depending on your geography.

Rupert
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by Rupert » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:47 pm

FullYellowJacket wrote:I moved from the south last year.

Getting away from mosquitoes was in the top five reasons for me to go.

I would try to be more helpful, but literally nothing works depending on your geography.
I've lived in the South most of my life, but the worst -- absolutely the WORST -- mosquito problem I've ever encountered was in the Canadian Rockies one July. Mosquitos are not limited to the South.

jebmke
Posts: 8279
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by jebmke » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:24 pm

Rupert wrote:
FullYellowJacket wrote:I moved from the south last year.

Getting away from mosquitoes was in the top five reasons for me to go.

I would try to be more helpful, but literally nothing works depending on your geography.
I've lived in the South most of my life, but the worst -- absolutely the WORST -- mosquito problem I've ever encountered was in the Canadian Rockies one July. Mosquitos are not limited to the South.
In Minnesota, northern Wisconsin and parts of Canada you can pick them up on radar I think.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

staybalanced
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:36 am

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by staybalanced » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:46 pm

They do not sell the products at home depot or lowes, however you can easily buy them online. I am licensed in Georgia for Mosquito control.

The products the "pros" use are:

Talstar P
Suspend Polyzone
Demand CS
Nyguard IGR
Archer IGR

They are all available for sale online, the best thing to do is to mix an insect growth regulator in as well. So a combo would be suspend polyzone + Nyguard

Valdeselad
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by Valdeselad » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:37 pm

InvestorAdam wrote:They do not sell the products at home depot or lowes, however you can easily buy them online. I am licensed in Georgia for Mosquito control.

The products the "pros" use are:

Talstar P
Suspend Polyzone
Demand CS
Nyguard IGR
Archer IGR

They are all available for sale online, the best thing to do is to mix an insect growth regulator in as well. So a combo would be suspend polyzone + Nyguard
Is this a liquid solution that a homeowner would use in an installed 'spray nozzle' system built into a house/porch, or is this something you could just use around the perimeter of a yard, for example, as needed?

User avatar
Wildebeest
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by Wildebeest » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:26 pm

Rupert wrote:
FullYellowJacket wrote:I moved from the south last year.

Getting away from mosquitoes was in the top five reasons for me to go.

I would try to be more helpful, but literally nothing works depending on your geography.
I've lived in the South most of my life, but the worst -- absolutely the WORST -- mosquito problem I've ever encountered was in the Canadian Rockies one July. Mosquitos are not limited to the South.
We used to camp and I will never forget camping in Ontario and as soon dusk arrived we turned gray because we were covered in hundreds of the biggest mosquitoes I had ever seen. It could have been a Hitchcock, De Palma or Carpenter movie. The mosquitoes were giants and gray striped.

We have camped in the South but the bugs are just undersized compared to Ontario.

I am very much against spraying for bugs. When we stopped treating the lawn, all of sudden we had frogs every where, who are great bug catchers. Also get rid of standing water and put fish in ponds etc.

By the way we had thousands of stink bugs 2 years ago and now there are only a handful this year. Do not get me started on ticks though.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

kazper
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by kazper » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:04 pm

Warning: this will kill ANY bugs that come into contact with it.

I have been trying nyguard igr from do my own pest control.com. A hose end sprayer or tank sprayer and you are in business.

staybalanced
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:36 am

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by staybalanced » Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 am

Valdeselad wrote:
InvestorAdam wrote:They do not sell the products at home depot or lowes, however you can easily buy them online. I am licensed in Georgia for Mosquito control.

The products the "pros" use are:

Talstar P
Suspend Polyzone
Demand CS
Nyguard IGR
Archer IGR

They are all available for sale online, the best thing to do is to mix an insect growth regulator in as well. So a combo would be suspend polyzone + Nyguard
Is this a liquid solution that a homeowner would use in an installed 'spray nozzle' system built into a house/porch, or is this something you could just use around the perimeter of a yard, for example, as needed?
These are concentrates, you would need to mix in a back pack sprayer.

DiamondplateDave
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Mosquito control for home

Post by DiamondplateDave » Fri May 06, 2016 2:15 pm

I've used the "mosquito bits" from Amazon (you'll see my review). They are like the dunks but granular, so you can throw a few in an area and not worry whether they wash away after a week.They won't kill adult mosquitoes, just the larva. Toss a few in flowerpots, soggy areas, drains, anywhere that might retain moisture. Repeat every week or two. Supposedly safe for pets. I put them in the neighbor's mosquito hatcheries under cover of dusk and was able to use my yard again.

Post Reply