Holes in the heels of black dress socks

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
student5

Holes in the heels of black dress socks

Post by student5 »

Does anyone have experience of black dress socks wearing out very quickly nowadays -holes in the heel area and near the toes?
I've bought Gold Toe, Adidas, Puma, Dockers, Costco premium socks, and they all wear out pretty quickly-2-3 months or sooner. They never used to do that 5 years ago, or is it just me?

Anyone recommend other sock brands? Thanks y'all.
bengal22

Re: Holes in the heels of black dress socks

Post by bengal22 »

walk on your toes more.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

It does seem like socks wear out sooner these days, I'm guessing they're not making 'em as good(like a lot of other stuff). I buy mine at Sams. They have a green stripe across the toes and I think they are made by Burlington. I've had good luck with the white ones.
selters

Post by selters »

Mine are ten years old. Still no holes. So I don't know.

I am kidding. But only kind of. Some of my socks are literally ten years old and still have no holes. But they not really black anymore. More like grey. So I cannot use them when there's a chance that people will see me wearing them.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

A needle, black thread, and a darning egg will fix you right up...

- Ron
Gort

Post by Gort »

Go commando?
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Gort wrote:Go commando?
My feet went commando today. Gotta love my Allen Edmond loafers.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

student5 wrote:they all wear out pretty quickly-2-3 months or sooner. They never used to do that 5 years ago, or is it just me?
I'm being totally serious when I suggest that, yes, it's just you. I wear socks that are years old, some of them the brands you mention, and there is no wear at all.

I'll add that I have a dresser drawer filled to the brim with a zillion pairs of socks, so no single pair gets used all that much. Maybe you need more socks?
ddoubleu

Post by ddoubleu »

student5 wrote:Does anyone have experience of black dress socks wearing out very quickly nowadays -holes in the heel area and near the toes?
I've bought Gold Toe, Adidas, Puma, Dockers, Costco premium socks, and they all wear out pretty quickly-2-3 months or sooner. They never used to do that 5 years ago, or is it just me?

Before I read your post, I was just going to recommend buying Gold Toe socks because I never get holes in them. But, seeing that you've tried those, I wonder if either 1) you bought fake Gold Toe socks or 2) your shoes don't fit your feet as well as they should. The latter would undoubtedly cause holes due to the friction from rubbing against the heel of your shoe.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

ddoubleu wrote: Before I read your post, I was just going to recommend buying Gold Toe socks because I never get holes in them. But, seeing that you've tried those, I wonder if either 1) you bought fake Gold Toe socks or 2) your shoes don't fit your feet as well as they should. The latter would undoubtedly cause holes due to the friction from rubbing against the heel of your shoe.
From the reviews at Amazon, the quality of Gold Toe socks has decreased in the past several years.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Buy black work socks at Walmart. Five packs. They do it for me....
Attempted new signature...
Toons

Post by Toons »

Black Nike socks work for me. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Trim your toenails.
All the Best, | Joe
TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA »

joe8d wrote:Trim your toenails.
Holes in his HEELS.

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA »

Definitely get more pairs in the rotation to spread the wear out.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

Smartwool is the answer.

But everything wears out eventually and needs to be replaced. Clothing is made more cheaply that it was in the past.
goingup

Post by goingup »

bengal22 wrote:walk on your toes more.
:sharebeer
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

TerryDMillerMBA wrote:Definitely get more pairs in the rotation to spread the wear out.
Does this actually save money, or rather how many times you wash your socks?
Gardener246

Post by Gardener246 »

I have to agree with Student5, and most disappointingly about SmartWool socks in particular. Over the last six years or so I've noticed that they last much shorter a time than they used to--- holes in the heels, exactly.

So I went into Utube and learned the art of darning from a Ukranian who lives in a rustic cabin somewhere, and he really know how to darn. It takes a long time but indeed I fixed up a few socks that way. But given the time darning takes up and the high price of SmartWool socks I decided they're just not worth the buying anymore.
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

I've started doing bamboo socks recently. My dress socks are too new to really tell. But my bamboo running socks have held up incredibly well. Also, they hold no odor, literally none.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

Give Thorlo dress socks a try. I have a lot of casual Thorlos and they never wear out. Eventually they look a little washed out, but I never got a hole.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

Christine_NM wrote:Give Thorlo dress socks a try. I have a lot of casual Thorlos and they never wear out. Eventually they look a little washed out, but I never got a hole.
I tried a pair of Thorlo black "hiking" socks on a promotion. The socks fell apart after the first wash. They didn't think that through well if they wanted me to actually pay for a pair, especially for the price.

I use Hanes from walmart, athletic style. I also have had Gold Toe with good success. I do not get the thin "hosiery" style.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

I no longer care if the my socks match in color.
If teenagers can wear different color socks, so can I. :oops:
Trying to downsize without having to buy replacements.
YsocksMV
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

N1CKV wrote:
Christine_NM wrote:Give Thorlo dress socks a try. I have a lot of casual Thorlos and they never wear out. Eventually they look a little washed out, but I never got a hole.
I tried a pair of Thorlo black "hiking" socks on a promotion. The socks fell apart after the first wash. They didn't think that through well if they wanted me to actually pay for a pair, especially for the price.

I use Hanes from walmart, athletic style. I also have had Gold Toe with good success. I do not get the thin "hosiery" style.
Interesting. I've been buying online from thorlo.com for 10 years at their semiannual sales and never had a lemon yet.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 »

Yes! Glad to know its not just me. I normally get the value-pak from Walmart, either Hanes or Starter (I don't recall exactly). They used to wear about after 1-2 years, but I've just had to get a replacement pack about 6 months in from the last replacement. My guess is the material blend is more polyester and less cotton.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

student5 wrote:Does anyone have experience of black dress socks wearing out very quickly nowadays -holes in the heel area and near the toes?

Hi student5,

I smiled when I came across this thread. I was just having this conversation at home recently. I have been buying plain black socks from Mens Warehouse for many years and really had no problems. Recently over the past couple of years, I began to notice that the socks feel lighter or thinner and are getting holes in the toes much easier. They are not cheap either!

I may try Jos A. Banks. The socks are a little more expensive and even though it is of the same parent company as Mens Warehouse, perhaps the quality is better.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Watty

Post by Watty »

The price of cotton really spiked in 2011 and a lot of companies switched to other less expensive blends, not just with socks, and they have been slow to switch back.

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/? ... months=120

That is one of the reasons that the general quality of clothing has declined in the last few years.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Humboldt965 wrote:I have to agree with Student5, and most disappointingly about SmartWool socks in particular. Over the last six years or so I've noticed that they last much shorter a time than they used to--- holes in the heels, exactly.
I've experienced the same, and it is indeed quite sad.

I can't stand polyester socks, and while cotton is OK, it fades way too quickly.

The best socks I've bought in the last 5 or so years is wigwam.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

I
may try Jos A. Banks. The socks are a little more expensive and even though it is of the same parent company as Mens Warehouse, perhaps the quality is better.
I have some Jos A Banks "Cushion Pima Cotton" dress sock that I really like. Dress socks but heavier than the hosiery type socks, stretchy which works especially well with skinny feet and very comfy. Seem to wear fine as I have some a few years old. Just bought some more.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

I have been having this happen lately as well. So much so that I started wondering if there is some bug that eats into socks - maybe roaches, maybe spiders, maybe silverfish. But maybe it is just shoddy socks! :oops:
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Rodc wrote:I
may try Jos A. Banks. The socks are a little more expensive and even though it is of the same parent company as Mens Warehouse, perhaps the quality is better.
I have some Jos A Banks "Cushion Pima Cotton" dress sock that I really like. Dress socks but heavier than the hosiery type socks, stretchy which works especially well with skinny feet and very comfy. Seem to wear fine as I have some a few years old. Just bought some more.
Thanks!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."