Cost to refinish hardwood floors and to install new floors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
henry001

Cost to refinish hardwood floors and to install new floors

Post by henry001 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Hello,

I wanted to run this by some of you who may have more knowledge in the area of hardwood floors.
I currently have a house with red oak flooring installed with natural stain.

We had carpeting in the house and I removed and through out the carpeting it was in bad shape.
The flooring under the carpeting has a lot of black spots (about 200 sq ft throughout the house). I spoke with my neighbor and he said the previous owner had several cats. So I suspect the black spots is cat urine.

I have a family room / kitchen which is about 1000 sq ft total which has pink 6 inch by 6 inch tile under the carpet.

So, my thought is to get the floors in the house 2000 sq ft sanded and re-stained (including the 200 sq ft of the black spots which I am told cannot be sanded. The wood must be removed and replaced.

In addition remove the pink tile and install and additional 1000 sq ft of red oak to match the rest of the house.

I have reached out to two companies both used by close friends for an estimate. The price shocked me - one company was at $13,800 the other was at $14,500.

Are these prices inline of what others have paid?

Breakdown- Sand / Re-stain (golden oak) 1 coat stain 2 coats oil based Swedish finish
In-addtion - Remove old tiles install new red oak flooring 1200 sq ft with stain and oil based Swedish finish.

Looking for advice ....

Much thanks,

Henry

MathWizard

Re: Cost to refinish hardwood floors and to install new floors

Post by MathWizard » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:33 pm

This does not seem out of line to me.

11 years ago I had 800 sq ft sanded/refinished plus 200 of new red oak installed
and that ran about $5K.

You are adding much more to the install and have demolition of the tile, and it is 11 yrs later.

You could try a calculator like:

http://www.homewyse.com/costs/cost_of_r ... oring.html

to get ball park figures.

How much higher are they than you expected?

swl

Post by swl » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Really depends on location and quality. I think the cheapest materials and labor here runs about $8 / sqft installed. My flooring quote was around $22 / sqft and that was with some cost-cutting on the materials side.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:50 pm

You can sand black spot as long as the wood isn't rotted and unstable. We had a huge spot from the previous owner.

Sanded 3 bedrooms, hallway and living room sanded stained (~1500 sqft)
+
Added hardwood to foyer (~90 sqft)
+
Sand stain foyer
+ new shoe molding stained to match floor

Total was around $4,500.

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Just a note of caution. It's hard to sand away all the black spots left by animals, or other spills. We've had our floors done as well as many properties I've shown and some come out better than others.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:59 pm

You can try using oxalic acid to bleach the black spots and then sand. Be sure to read and follow the precautions on the label. You can get pre-finished Bruce solid oak flooring for about $3/sq ft but I would get something a little better for high traffic areas. Figure another $3 sq foot for installation; or do it yourself - its not that difficult.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:18 pm

A few years ago when we were having new carpet put in upstairs, the flooring guy commented that we had nice wood floors downstairs (the real kind that takes sanding and finishing) and the previous owners probably spent about 10k to have them installed, about 700 or 800 square feet. We have flush vents and there were a few stairs and a stair landing.

Based on that your $14k estimates don't seem off.

I'd want to do a test on the stains before committing the whole house to make sure they come out. However if the flooring guy is confident I'm sure it will be ok since this probably is a common issue in floor refinishing.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:27 pm

I had oak hardwood installed in part of my first floor 3 years ago. ~440 sq ft for about $5500. So that's $12.50/sf for material and installation (I did the prep work myself). That's roughly in line with your quotes.

furnace

Post by furnace » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:02 pm

pshonore wrote:You can try using oxalic acid to bleach the black spots and then sand. Be sure to read and follow the precautions on the label. You can get pre-finished Bruce solid oak flooring for about $3/sq ft but I would get something a little better for high traffic areas. Figure another $3 sq foot for installation; or do it yourself - its not that difficult.
I would just watch some Youtube videos, get rental equipment, and do it myself. That $14,000 is equal to $21,500 pretax income (14k / 0.65 = 21.5k). If the wife complains that your work won't be professional quality, have her pay the full cost out of her retirement account :oops:

WaffleCone

Post by WaffleCone » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:32 pm

If the tile is a porcelain or ceramic variety (as opposed to vinyl, laminate, asbestos, etc), that alone could be $4000 of your estimate. Did you ask how much you'd save by DIY? It's time consuming and messy but not skilled labor. Finishing a floor nicely, especially if there are sections that need special treatment, is something I wouldn't want to practice on my floor for the first time.

Then there is the matter of the pet-stained areas... pieceing out 400/sqft will be time consuming. I agree with trying to lighten the stain first. After some sanding I don't think the difference will be worth the cost to remove/replace unless you must have perfect floors OR it's all in one section.

What kind of hardwood? 3/4 T&G?

Topic Author
henry001

Post by henry001 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:44 pm

I just want to thank you all for your replies. Since I have never sanded or stained hardwood floors I wouldn't want to take the chance doing this job on my own. $14k is a lot of money ... based on what everyone is saying it seems like an acceptable price.

One other question has anyone heard of Synteko Swedish finish? Is one coat stain and two coats of finish okay? This is a Poly finish.

If anyone has any questions I can ask both of these flooring folks I would appreciate it. I have seen both of their completed jobs in person and they looks very good.

Thanks!

Topic Author
henry001

Post by henry001 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:46 pm

The flooring is red oak select grade 2 1/4.
The tile on the floor is ceramic. I could try to remove it myself and see how much I can save.

margered

Post by margered » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:53 pm

During a remodel many years ago, our floor finisher was able to take up most of the square footage of oak flooring we wanted to refinish and flip the boards, cutting down on the material cost. The flooring had been "antiqued" with grooves and pegs and stained. Only a small portion of the square footage needed to be totally replaced.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:02 pm

Another way to get "new" wood to replace the wood with black stains is to swap it with wood in closets.

I would not attempt to use a power sander myself.

Boats day

Post by Boats day » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:08 pm

I agree with furnace.

Even if you have never done it before I would suggest you rent a floor sander and start with a small area . Its pretty hard to screw it up and your only down side is the rental of the sander. I did 800 square feet as a DYI project and it turned out great. WARNING it is very messy and make sure you wear a proper mask.

Good luck a DYI project will save you tons of money.
My cost for doing 800 square feet was around $500 which included sander rental and floor finish.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:48 pm

It is easy to screw up. Gouges in floor, etc.

edge

Post by edge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:14 pm

That is a lot of square footage and a lot of back breaking demolition of tile. I would check if the estimate includes matching shoe molding and transitions. White shoe molding is kind of low rent.

Is the Swedish stuff a poly or a true oil? An oiled floor has a fantastic look and can be more easily repaired than a poly floor but it requires re-application on a more frequent basis. It is usually a more high end finish.