Renting in Maui

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hoops777

Renting in Maui

Post by hoops777 »

Wanted to throw this out here and see if there are some negatives I am missing.
We live in the Bay Area and could rent our town home for about 3000 per month.We have always wanted to try living in Maui,so my idea is rent our place for 1 year and rent a place in Maui for 1 year,smaller and not as nice of course,so the money comes out pretty even.
Any other negatives besides shipping a car over there if we chose to do that?
We would try to rent ours out furnished and also the one in Maui.
My goal in Maui would be a 1 br unit,600 sq ft or so,close to the beach with a view of the ocean.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
sdsailing

Re: Renting in Maui

Post by sdsailing »

I wouldn't ship a car for a one year trip, but would buy something used and cheap and then sell at the end
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

duplicate post.
Last edited by HIinvestor on Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

A negative is you are never quite sure how well/poorly your unit will be treated by tenants. A lot of damage COULD occur in a year, especially to furniture. Shipping a car from Honolulu to LA costs about $1000. I probably wouldn't want to ship one round trip for $2000+.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

The car comes out to about 170 a month vs not having one and taking taxis or uber all the time.I am not worried about my unit.If we do this we are going to change all the flooring and most of the furniture when we come back.It is that time anyway.The particular place and the model that we live in is very much desired,so I will have a high quality tenant.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

If you're near one of the Bay Area universities, I'd recommend listing on

https://www.sabbaticalhomes.com

Faculty on sabbatical are, in general, not hard-usage tenants, and you know they're going back from whence they came. :D
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

Have you ever been to Maui ? ..... What you could do is try it out for 2-3 months and see if you like it before you commit to a year.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Been to Maui 5 times.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Positives are obvious. Maui is great
Everything is more expensive there. Food items, insurance, dining, etc. etc. Costco in Kahului can help.
Where are you going to rent?
Easier to find places in Haiku, Kula, or other upcountry area.
Traffic near Lahaina is a mess during peaks.
Kihei is pretty crowded but has nice beaches, fair amount of rentals, and relatively close to Kahului.
My favorite area is NW, Napili/Kapalua but it is a long drive from center of island.

Sounds like a fun way to spend a year.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
looking

Post by looking »

nting in Maui
Postby hoops777 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:28 pm

Wanted to throw this out here and see if there are some negatives I am missing.
We live in the Bay Area and could rent our town home for about 3000 per month.We have always wanted to try living in Maui,so my idea is rent our place for 1 year and rent a place in Maui for 1 year,smaller and not as nice of course,so the money comes out pretty even.
My goal in Maui would be a 1 br unit,600 sq ft or so,close to the beach with a view of the ocean.

Preview: Re: Renting in Maui

i been thinking the same thing ;living one year renting in maui
where you can find rental-did you go to craigslist or rental broker -or some on-line website to help to get find
joeblow

Post by joeblow »

The only negative thing I can think of is that I won't be doing it. Sounds like fun! Good luck!
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Why not us...I like the north part as well.I figure the drive to Costco is no big deal.Finding the right rental will be the hard part but we are open to Kihei as well.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

I spent years avoiding Hawaii for some reason, then when I went there with my son it was such a fabulous experience. Everything was amazing, every morsel of food we ate was wonderful, even McDonald's tasted better there for some reason. The main downside is, how could you get any work done there? It's even worse than my native San Diego, which kills my productivity because there are so many other things to be doing than work.
looking

Post by looking »

hoops777 wrote:Wanted to throw this out here and see if there are some negatives I am missing.
"hoops777"

i want to do the same things i like to rent in Maui for one year but finding rental is very hard

please share or let me know how to find rental over the ,craigslist ,news paper r or rental broker,for house or just one bed an kitchen
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Rentals pop up in NapiliHau sometimes. Maui has restrictions on areas that can have short term rentals, otherwise requires minimum 6 months.
NapiliHau is a longish walk or easy bike ride to Napili Beach.

This one is a little farther but shows you that your idea is plausible.
https://www.showmetherent.com/37-Polohi ... a-HI-96761

Ocean view is less important when you live there. You can see the ocean every day while waist deep in it. If you really must have a lanai with view, then you are probably looking at Kahana. Kahana is less my cup of tea and Kihei (except maybe the northern end) is a non-starter for me. Anywhere on the beach with a ocean view will likely be short term rental.

I spend a month at a time in the area most winters, it is a delightful area. Costco runs can be tied to outings to the attractions on the other part of the island- Iao Valley, Haleakala, Paia, picking up friends at the airport, etc.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

WhyNotUs wrote:Rentals pop up in NapiliHau sometimes. Maui has restrictions on areas that can have short term rentals, otherwise requires minimum 6 months.
NapiliHau is a longish walk or easy bike ride to Napili Beach.

This one is a little farther but shows you that your idea is plausible.
https://www.showmetherent.com/37-Polohi ... a-HI-96761

Ocean view is less important when you live there. You can see the ocean every day while waist deep in it. If you really must have a lanai with view, then you are probably looking at Kahana. Kahana is less my cup of tea and Kihei (except maybe the northern end) is a non-starter for me. Anywhere on the beach with a ocean view will likely be short term rental.

I spend a month at a time in the area most winters, it is a delightful area. Costco runs can be tied to outings to the attractions on the other part of the island- Iao Valley, Haleakala, Paia, picking up friends at the airport, etc.
What do you do for transportation a month at a time.Basic car rental?
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

:beer
hoops777 wrote:Wanted to throw this out here and see if there are some negatives I am missing.
I have little to add, except I wish we were doing that.

We have been to Maui 10 times renting condos or cottages, but never rented for more than six weeks. We had used VRBO to help search, but I don't know if that's useful for a whole year's rental.

We liked West Maui best, but the traffic around Lahaina is horrible. We also liked East Maui around Hana, but I don't know how to locate a long-term rental there.

Go for it, and best of luck to you.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Tortoise Banker

Post by Tortoise Banker »

Napili Villas, Villas at Kahana Ridge, Hale Royale, The Breakers, Opukea, and Hoonanea are all condo developments you could research to see if you can find a rental. These are long-term rental only properties (does not allow short-term vacation rentals) and this typically makes for a better living environment and generally less expensive monthly rent for someone interested in month to month or annual lease.
The winning strategy is simple, but not easy...
batpot

Post by batpot »

sdsailing wrote:I wouldn't ship a car for a one year trip, but would buy something used and cheap and then sell at the end
That's exactly what my BiL did. He ended up staying for about a year, and knowing him, probably even made money on the car.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

joeblow wrote:The only negative thing I can think of is that I won't be doing it. Sounds like fun! Good luck!
This!

Enjoy!
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Thanks for the comments and info.We are still debating and may settle on multiple trips.I would be fine but my wife is a prime candidate for a case of island fever.It is a big deal.
AirTimeMD

Post by AirTimeMD »

This is exciting to read.

I am traveling to Maui for the first time in my life in June. I'll fly into the big island on June 3rd and attend a conference from June 6th until June 9th. Then catch a flight to Maui and stay at the Four Seasons (never splurged on a hotel before in my life, other than staying at the Savoy once in London) from the 9th until the 13th. I am so excited! So I don't hijack OPs thread, I'll start my own as it gets closer to get some information on what to do and what NOT to do.
AirTimeMD

Post by AirTimeMD »

This is exciting to read.

I am traveling to Maui for the first time in my life in June. I'll fly into the big island on June 3rd and attend a conference from June 6th until June 9th. Then catch a flight to Maui and stay at the Four Seasons (never splurged on a hotel before in my life, other than staying at the Savoy once in London) from the 9th until the 13th. I am so excited! So I don't hijack OPs thread, I'll start my own as it gets closer to get some information on what to do and what NOT to do.