Pop up ads driving me nuts! Please help

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
island

Pop up ads driving me nuts! Please help

Post by island »

Yes pop up ads on my computer and IPad are driving me nuts, especially the persistent Ad Choice ones!

I have an HP Pavilion recently upgraded to Windows 10 and Edge. It actually works much better with the upgrade. Prior to that I was about to trash this fairly new computer because websites repeatedly needed to reload or froze and also had the pop ups.

No pop ups when first upgraded to 10, but they've found me again and multiplied. Attacking from all directions and some of the Ad Choice ones even cover text or have no x to close them. Sometimes the ads are for products I've searched on like patio umbrellas or shopping sites I've visited like Nordstrom, West Elm, Amazon, etc

I don't use my computer for movies, don't game, use social medial or do anything exotic. My home page is Yahoo and I access my ATT email account from there and they both get the ads. I'd rather not change the home page or email set up because that's what we know in my home.

I've Googled for info, but since don't know much beyond the surface of computer use, I don't know what info is accurate or if I can trust that advice or sites aren't malicious.

Pop up blocker setting is on, but what else is needed?

Can anyone please tell me how to banish the plague in simple lingo for a non techie like myself?

Also getting them on my IPad, and need advice for that too, but my computer is worse.

Thank you!
fortfun

Re: Pop up ads driving me nuts! Please help

Post by fortfun »

On your computer, only use the Chrome browser, not IE or Firefox. Install AdBlockPlus from the Chrome store. Not sure what to tell you on iPad. Get a chromebook if you want to make your life easier.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

I use firefox browser with adblock plus. Since using both, I don't get any popups. Needless to say, surfing has been a more pleasant experience since. Don't use apple so can't help you there.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

fortfun wrote:Get a chromebook if you want to make your life easier.
:thumbsup
Seriously. Look into it. I've been using a chromebook as my primary computer at home for more than a year now, and I love it. When I look back and think about all the frustrations of dealing with Microsoft Windows and pop ups and viruses and software updates and freezing up, etc, I realize how much happier I am now. If you GAVE me a computer now with Microsoft Windows I would say thank you but no thank you and give it back to you.

This is the chromebook that I use... you will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands...

https://www.google.com/chromebook/find/ ... omebook-15
Topic Author
island

Post by island »

Thanks for the chromebook info, but not interested in dumping my PC at this point, just trying to learn how to control the pop ups. Millions of others must be accomplishing it and I'd like in on that. An opportunity to learn something at least. :confused
Thanks.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

I didn't suggest that you dump your PC, I suggested that you try a chromebook.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

i use firefox and ad-block plus.
ad-block plus should stop the problem for you.
Focus on what you can control
mrc

Post by mrc »

AdblockBrowser is available on iOS. https://adblockbrowser.org/?ref=frp
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Yes, use the Chrome or Firefox browsers with the adblockplus add-on.

You may also want to run a free program called HiJackThis on your computer to check for any add/mal ware installed on your computer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/
Toons

Post by Toons »

Run Malwarebytes,for starters(Free Version)
Pop Ups indicates malware sometimes :shock:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

You have to have some adware software installed on your PC.

They can disguise themselves as browser search alternatives. At some point one of our laptops got the "Chromium" browser installed. It is an adware/popup piece of junk.

One idea would be to go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs..check every single item installed. Some you will clearly know what they are. Some you may have to "Bing" or "Google" to check if they are legit or bloatware/adware.

Uninstall anything that doesn't check out as something you want installed or is installed by Windows.

Run a full scan from Windows Defender. HiJackThis is a good option as mentioned above. Remove any quarantined items. Reset your browser settings to default. Disable any add-ons that you don't know what they are.

If all else fails, consider moving your files to a portable drive and reinstalling Windows 10. This is solvable. Maybe not easy, but popups have a root cause. :annoyed
daveatca

Ghostery

Post by daveatca »

I prefer https://www.ghostery.com over AdBlock Plus as ABP has bought into https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

Even though I am an expert at all this, I find Ghostery much easier to use.
furwut

Post by furwut »

The block popup checkboxes in most browser's settings have become meaningless.

Several things you might look into

... Install an Ad Blocker extension on your iPad
... Always use the private browsing feature of your browser and quit your browser when done to clear out any cookies
... Look into the Opera browser. It promises superior ad blocking and they just announced a free VPN feature that should help prevent advertisers from tracking you.

You didn't say who your IP provider is. Some IP providers attach a "super cookie" tracking id on your web traffic and provide this for a fee of course, to advertisers. Verizon is one I believe that has done this.

Personal Observation - the use of pop ups and dynamic ad insertion has really driven down the validity (in the sense the browser can render a readable view from the HTML) of web pages delivered. I've never seen so many page crashes. Quality sites should want their content delivered intact. Other sites are just link bait whose only purpose is to serve up ads. Stay away from the latter.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Another firefox with adblock plus user, free and works great:)
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I also changed to Windows 10 and use Google Chrome and Adblock Plus = no Ads.

Edit: I also have Webroot Secure Anywhere and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium protection.
Last edited by likegarden on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

iOS Adblock Plus user here. it is effective.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

You likely have adware installed on your computer. I haven't used Windows much for quite a while so I'm not up to date on the latest adware removal tools, but a quick Google should help.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

For adware: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdown ... dwcleaner/

I have been using it for a few years. Safe and reliable.

Do be careful as you step through the process (Scan then Clean).

Nothing happens until you click "Clean." I always look at what will be cleaned before letting it do anything. It shows things by category, so check 'em all: Folders, Files, DLLs, Shortcuts, Scheduled Tasks, Registry and Browser.

I also use Malwarebytes. I sprung for the paid version as it is more automated.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
mouses

Post by mouses »

Do this first: I run free malwarebytes anti-malware fairly often.

I use either seamonkey or chrome with adblock plus.
niven

Post by niven »

As others have said, run the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program first as it sounds like you have some kind of adware or malware installed. I assume you have the included Windows Defender running as well on Windows 10? It can help protect against malware in addition to viruses.

Also, I agree with the Chrome and adblock plus or (my preference) uBlock Origin extension in Chrome.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

mptfan wrote:
fortfun wrote:Get a chromebook if you want to make your life easier.
:thumbsup
Seriously. Look into it. I've been using a chromebook as my primary computer at home for more than a year now, and I love it. When I look back and think about all the frustrations of dealing with Microsoft Windows and pop ups and viruses and software updates and freezing up, etc, I realize how much happier I am now. If you GAVE me a computer now with Microsoft Windows I would say thank you but no thank you and give it back to you.

This is the chromebook that I use... you will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands...

https://www.google.com/chromebook/find/ ... omebook-15
I use the Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2015 version with Intel i3 processor) with Adblock plus. It rocks! No more Windows for me!
ejvyas

Re: Ghostery

Post by ejvyas »

daveatca wrote:I prefer https://www.ghostery.com over AdBlock Plus as ABP has bought into https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

Even though I am an expert at all this, I find Ghostery much easier to use.
You can disable the acceptable ads.

Also look into MOAB if you want 0 ads but it may block some legit sites and affect performance
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I use the uBlock extension on Chrome, Opera, and Firefox. Apparently Edge does not accept extensions yet but should sometime later this year.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Good thread! My only comment is that sometimes those adblock programs will block a legitimate popup from a site I'm trying to use, like for a financial institution.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

As mentioned earlier - you may have malware so a malwarebyes scan is in order.

Select the free version and download/scan
https://www.malwarebytes.org/dl-confirm/

I use Firefox and have not had an popup in many many years. Use adblock plus one of several ad blockers from Firefox.
With the the number you are having it sounds more like adware (a non destructive form of malware) more than just normal popup ads.
Good luck.
mouses

Post by mouses »

rgs92 wrote:Good thread! My only comment is that sometimes those adblock programs will block a legitimate popup from a site I'm trying to use, like for a financial institution.
There is a feature in Adblock (click on the Adblock gizmo) that will let you disable it on a page or a site. Refresh after doing that,
runner9

Post by runner9 »

mouses wrote:
rgs92 wrote:Good thread! My only comment is that sometimes those adblock programs will block a legitimate popup from a site I'm trying to use, like for a financial institution.
There is a feature in Adblock (click on the Adblock gizmo) that will let you disable it on a page or a site. Refresh after doing that,
Exactly, if I click the arrow next to ABP in the stop sign choices include "Disable on bogleheads.org" and "Disable on this page only"
pondering

Post by pondering »

Your home page is yahoo?

Create a simple home page, or export your bookmarks and edit the file to have a handy list of the places you normally visit.

There are no popups that should appear on that page.
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
midareff

Post by midareff »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:I use firefox browser with adblock plus. Since using both, I don't get any popups. Needless to say, surfing has been a more pleasant experience since. Don't use apple so can't help you there.
Using Firefox on Win 8, an android tablet and smartphone. Use Adblock Plus plug-in on all of them along with Ghostery, Faster Fox and Click and Clean. Never see a pop-up.
INDUBITABLY

Post by INDUBITABLY »

I recommend a browser extension called uBlock Origin in Firefox (it is also available for Chrome) for desktop browsing. It is much faster and uses much less memory than AdBlock Plus, which should make everything feel more responsive (ad blocking functionality is the same; uBlock supports the same rules that AdBlock Plus does, it just runs them much better). If you have or are able to upgrade to iOS 9 on your iPad, you can install what Apple calls a "content blocker" for Safari, which is basically the same thing as the ad blocker extensions available on the desktop.
"Ah ha! Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!" - Dr. Zoidberg
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Totally agree with these recommendations on Ad Block Plus for Windows machines. I use that, and Ghostery (for controlling cookies), on both Firefox and Chrome. Plus I block Flash and allow only on a case-by-case basis for most websites. Collectively, this really improves my browsing experience. At the present time, Edge does not support browser plug-ins, so it has pushed me off from using it all that much. Same as you are experiencing. Supposedly that will change, but I'll wait until then to do much in Edge (which I otherwise sort of like).

Be aware, too, that more and more sites are requesting or demanding that you turn off these ad and or cookie-blocking plug-ins. Which you can easily and quickly do, on an as-needed basis. In some cases, you can simply ignore the warnings and continue on; others will not let you use the site or will tell you to subscribe (as in with a fee). These cases are fairly rare, but growing in number - something I've noticed more in the last 6 months.
Drovor

Post by Drovor »

Agree with the others. I would definitely run a scan with something like Malwarebytes. I used AdBlockPlus for a few years and currently trying out Adguard AdBlocker with similar results using Firefox/Chrome.
Topic Author
island

Post by island »

Thanks everyone for the info and taking the time to post.
I downloaded and ran the free Malwarebytes scan and it didn't find anything.
Windows Defender is on.
I'm working thru some of the other suggestions and thanks to those who mentioned Edge not supporting extensions. I'Ve gotten messages about that when trying to do some of the recommendations and wouldn't have known what it meant if you didn't inform me.
If all else fails will try Chrome or a different browser with the Ad block programs you mention. For now still working on what else works with Win 10 and Edge, not so much because I'm married to them, but consider it a learning experience.
Will keep you posted if I find the culprit(s).

Haven't tried anything on the IPad yet. One device at a time.
Thanks again!
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

island wrote:Yes pop up ads on my computer and IPad are driving me nuts
Don't know about the iPad, but Ghostery and uBlock Origin work excellently in Firefox and Chrome.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect