Passport photo DIY - anyone done it easily?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jayjayc

Re: Passport photo DIY - anyone done it easily?

Post by jayjayc » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:22 pm

I would recommend that you do not smile in your passport photo. In some countries like Australia, they have automated kiosks that take your picture and then compare it to your passport photo. If you're smiling in your passport photo, then you need to smile for the kiosk. Smiling may be difficult after a 15 hour red eye flight.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:40 pm

I used an iPhone passport photo app for my Visa On Arrival pictures I needed for several countries in SE Asia. I found it difficult to find good lighting and the right background and to get the dimensions right. It was fine for these countries as they are not very demanding, but for my passport photo I would get it professionally done.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Bfwolf wrote:I used an iPhone passport photo app for my Visa On Arrival pictures I needed for several countries in SE Asia. I found it difficult to find good lighting and the right background and to get the dimensions right. It was fine for these countries as they are not very demanding, but for my passport photo I would get it professionally done.
I also used an app on my Android phone for visa pictures. The quality will heavily depend on your lighting and background. A well-lit room with a white wall works well. The app made a jpeg with 6 passport size photos on it, suitable for a 4x6 print. Printed it at Costco for $0.13 per print, 6 photos per print. For good measure, I got 4 prints (24 photos!). So for less than a buck, you should have enough passport pictures for all your passport/visa/international driver's license needs for 5-10 years.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Fri May 06, 2016 1:36 pm

OP here - ironically, despite the excellent recs given above with apps, I ended up just going to a photo store near my workplace and having it done there.

It was surprisingly hard to find a pure white wall and to get a photo with no shadows with my cell phone! Ok, I didn't exactly make a heroic effort (more like asked a friend when I saw a white wall available) but it was annoying enough to get right that I just paid $9 to have it done professionally. Fortunately it was really quick!

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:55 pm

EagertoLearnMore wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:27 pm
Try using epassportphoto.com. http://www.epassportphoto.com/

Follow directions and print yourself or save on flash drive and take to a quick print store for less than 10 cents.

We have used this method several times and never had a problem with getting the passport.
Recently, cvs started charging $13.99 each even if you printed them off your usb drive at the kiosk, as long as your 4x6 photo contains those 2x2 images. It was shocking as I didn't even use their photo-taking service. They are charging me 4000% more for the same product(4x6 photo), based on the content/presumed use of my photo image! That is simply wrong.
This too:
https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/cv ... tts-421179

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:44 pm

bryansmile wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:55 pm
Recently, cvs started charging $13.99 each even if you printed them off your usb drive at the kiosk, as long as your 4x6 photo contains those 2x2 images.
Wal-Mart did the same thing to me, but their price is $7.44 plus tax. I suspect it might have been simple confusion by the checkout clerk about which barcode to scan from her notebook.

I had to do my recent passport photo twice, because the first one showed me with eyeglasses, which isn't allowed any more. Each time, I had my wife take the picture with my DSLR, with me standing in front of a blank white wall. Then I cropped it to 2x2 and adjusted the brightness and contrast in Photoshop.

The first time, I used Photoshop to paste two copies of the image onto a blank 6x4 canvas with the same 300dpi resolution, and uploaded the file to Wal-Mart. I was charged $7.44 when I picked it up. I suspect that if I had included it in a batch of "normal" 6x4 images, it would have gone through at the normal rate.

The second time, I noticed that Wal-Mart has a special page for passport photos, where you can upload a single image into a sizing frame. It generates a 6x4 with two copies of that image, along with crop marks to make cutting a bit easier. I did it that way and of course was charged $7.44.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:47 pm

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:48 pm

lightheir wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:04 am
It's time for me to renew my passport.

I was hoping to DIY the passport photo using my cellphone camera and ordering the color print from Shutterfly or some drugstore service (I don't have a color printer) - there seems to be some phone apps and even websites that 'optimize' the size/picture for you, but it's still unclear to me how well these work.

I could also just spent the $12 and go to the local photo guy who does it, but aside from the price, it seems like a waste of 40 minutes of my life to go drive out there and do it.

Anyone done it recently and have a good, easy working solution to DIY passport photos. (USA)
Costco will do it for 4.99
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

walletless

Post by walletless » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:05 pm

lightheir wrote:
Fri May 06, 2016 1:36 pm
It was surprisingly hard to find a pure white wall and to get a photo with no shadows with my cell phone! Ok, I didn't exactly make a heroic effort (more like asked a friend when I saw a white wall available) but it was annoying enough to get right that I just paid $9 to have it done professionally. Fortunately it was really quick!
I have been DIY'ing for many years now. Renewed passports for my son, wife and me several times; and also applied for few visas doing so. Never been a problem.

There are two great options for DIY. But before I get there, here are some tips for taking photo:
  • Use a good HD camera - a modern phone camera, point-and-shoot, or DSLR will all work fine. What you don't want is an old phone camera which was not very sophisticated.
  • Have ample natural lighting - pick a room or take the photo outdoors against garage door or building walls. Make sure there are no shadows on the background when taking the photo.
  • Use a white background - If you don't have one, purchase a foam board from Michaels and use two-sided tape to hold it against the wall.
  • If you wear glasses, remove them before taking the photo. For many countries (including U.S. Passports), this is required. Even if it is not required, the glare/reflection from the glass will likely cause rejection.
Once you have a good photo, use one of these two services:
1) From your laptop or desktop, you can use ePassportPhoto.com - it works well and produces great picture. The only "con" here is that it does not allow adding more than 1 person to same sheet. Most of the time, I only need 2 pics per person, so I prefer to use the next option which allows me to add 2 pics each of me, wife, and son to the same sheet which I can then print on 4x6 paper at walgreens.

2) The free version of Passport Size Photo Maker app has all the same functionality as ePassportPhoto (and also allows you to straighten the photo if it not perfectly straight). However, you can pay a one-time $2.99 to unlock additional functionality such as ability to add more than one pic to same sheet. In the long run, this will actually end up saving you money. The paid version also unlocks some other features such as background color changer, but they don't work that well in my experience. I am not sure if there is a similar app for iPhone/iOS - but this one for Android works perfectly for me.
Last edited by walletless on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:20 pm

denovo wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:48 pm

Costco will do it for 4.99
My local neighborhood mailbox store did it for $9.99 last week. No wait, no long walk from the parking lot, no drive across town just for some photos (my wife claims Costco shopping duty for herself).

Having done visa photos via my smartphone a couple years ago (which resulted in a few back and forths with the visa service company), I did not blink at the cost of $9.99.

nps

Post by nps » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:42 am

GuyInFL wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:47 pm
Www.epassportphoto.com
I recently used this to print at Walgreens. Only paid the normal 4x6 price and didn't "pad" with a bunch of regular photos. So maybe Walgreens is still ok. If I recall epassport photo also had a mail to home option for around $1.

wander

Post by wander » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:57 am

mickens16 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:30 am
We did ours at Costco. Took all of 5 minutes.
+1. I did it too. Got the pictures after done shopping.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:51 am

22twain wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:44 pm
bryansmile wrote:
Recently, cvs started charging $13.99 each even if you printed them off your usb drive at the kiosk, as long as your 4x6 photo contains those 2x2 images.
Wal-Mart did the same thing to me, but their price is $7.44 plus tax.
epassportphoto will not work at the stores around here because the stores are intentionally charging 'passport photo' price for those 4x6s when you go pick them up, based on what's in the 4x6s or their presumed use. Definitely not a mistake by the employees. Seems corporate wide. Google it and you'll see numerous reports by upset customers. I mean, isn't it illegal to charge 4000% more due to the content of the photo???
Last edited by bryansmile on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 am

I also use Costco. They provide four photos instead of two, so if you need a Visa at the same time it may be an even better deal.

I also have a non-US passport and that one was a pain because the picture size requirement was different. Costco has a standard tool they use to die cut the photo from a full size printout which was too small and my face did not fill enough of the frame. I ended up scanning it, slightly enlarging it on the computer, and then sent it off to Walgreen's to be printed on real photo stock. I think I put four per page and had a couple extra printed in case I messed up cropping. I paid the standard 39 cents each or whatever it was.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:34 am

I think the issue with the "passport photo" price on a simple 4x6 print (containing 4 images of 2x2s) is if the store can charge you based on the content of the image. What if the 4x6 photo has 4 2x2 images of a dog? Can they still charge "passport photo" price simply because it has 4 2x2s? If the answer is no, what if I switch out the dog and replace it with humans, why does it make a difference on the price of that print?
Last edited by bryansmile on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:42 am

bryansmile wrote:
EagertoLearnMore wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:27 pm
Try using epassportphoto.com. http://www.epassportphoto.com/

Follow directions and print yourself or save on flash drive and take to a quick print store for less than 10 cents.

We have used this method several times and never had a problem with getting the passport.
Recently, cvs started charging $13.99 each even if you printed them off your usb drive at the kiosk, as long as your 4x6 photo contains those 2x2 images. It was shocking as I didn't even use their photo-taking service. They are charging me 4000% more for the same product(4x6 photo), based on the content/presumed use of my photo image! That is simply wrong.
This too:
https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/cv ... tts-421179
Don’t order in store. Upload to photo website and then place order for store pickup. Price will be the regular 4x6 price even if you have 6 passport photos of different individuals.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:46 am

seawolf21 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:42 am
Don’t order in store. Upload to photo website and then place order for store pickup. Price will be the regular 4x6 price even if you have 6 passport photos of different individuals.
Unfortunately, there have been numerous reports from upset customers that when you go pick them up in store, the store will up-charge you for the "passport photo" price.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 am

bryansmile wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:46 am
seawolf21 wrote:
Unfortunately, there have been numerous reports from upset customers that when you go pick them up in store, the store will up-charge you for the "passport photo" price.
Call the customer service number on the order.

walletless

Post by walletless » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:14 am

seawolf21 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 am
bryansmile wrote:
seawolf21 wrote:
Went help if it is their corporate policy. On my experience though, ordering & passing online with store pickup works well. The clerk generally doesn't check the content of the envelope when you go to pickup.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 am

walletless wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:14 am
seawolf21 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 am
bryansmile wrote:
seawolf21 wrote:
Went help if it is their corporate policy. On my experience though, ordering & passing online with store pickup works well. The clerk generally doesn't check the content of the envelope when you go to pickup.

I guess the issue at heart is: if the store does not charge "passport photo" pricing on a print of 4 dogs, how can they charge that price on that of 4 human faces? Can they price each print differently based on the content of the images? And what's next?

A lot of the customers including myself were caught by surprise, after the photo had been printed. Even though we selected the $0.35 option before printing, we were up-charged 4000% at the check out counter. For a lot of people, $13.99 is no small change, let alone the fact that the whole practice is wrong.
Last edited by bryansmile on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:54 am

Haven’t read the responses...

I used the following iOS app to successfully create passport photos for wife and myself a couple of years ago. Worked like a charm.

ID PhotoPrint: US passport photos, delivered by Tinkertanker
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id-phot ... 88006?mt=8

cfs

Post by cfs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Just checked my passport and I will need a new photo for renewal four years from now, and once again I will drop by my local Walmart and get it done by the same smiling lady in about five minutes, no sweat, no problems, poco dinero, good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:14 pm

spent $12 and about 5 minutes at the local drug store.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 pm

bryansmile wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 am
A lot of the customers including myself were caught by surprise, after the photo had been printed. Even though we selected the $0.35 option before printing, we were up-charged 4000% at the check out counter. For a lot of people, $13.99 is no small change, let alone the whole practice is wrong.
I probably would not have taken the pics then if the price wasn't what was promised/advertised.

I don't know that this business practice is violating any laws, but some consumer reporter should do a TV story about it.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:22 pm

ronako wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:16 am
But rather than going to a place and getting ripped off for $12, I can actually take my photo multiple times myself to get the perfect one that I want.
Costco is $4.99 while you're in the store so a little less than half a rip-off. :D
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Interesting that in response to a question about how to do something DIY, lots of folks chimed in about how they did something without DIY.....

That being said, I agree that using a decent camera is key. Some better smartphones can compensate for a lack of decent sized lenses, but for best results, use a semi-decent camera. I used my Canon G16 against a white wall. I made some minor touch up edits, then cropped and sized the photo for 2 inches by 2 inches. I used Irfanview to make a 4"x6" sheet, then sent it to the photo website of a national store for printing. I had no issues with being charged more because of the content, but there would have been an argument if they pulled this on me. Maybe next time one of the photos on the sheet will be a bird.

My photos looked decent (or as good as passport photos can be) and have been accepted by US State Dept and various consulates for their visas. Just remember you can't use the same photo for your next passport.

Total cost: 19 cents. Sure, I guess I could have paid $5.99 or $13.99 or some other price to let someone else manage my photography experience, but I enjoyed doing it myself more regardless of the price. I can also buy a pie at a grocer, but I really prefer the pies I bake at home. Same with passport photos. :)

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:49 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 pm
bryansmile wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 am
A lot of the customers including myself were caught by surprise, after the photo had been printed. Even though we selected the $0.35 option before printing, we were up-charged 4000% at the check out counter. For a lot of people, $13.99 is no small change, let alone the whole practice is wrong.
I probably would not have taken the pics then if the price wasn't what was promised/advertised.

I don't know that this business practice is violating any laws, but some consumer reporter should do a TV story about it.
With my kids' pictures already printed, I just couldn't leave the prints there...

I would like to know too if this violates any consumer laws. any attorneys here?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:56 pm

bryansmile wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:49 pm
With my kids' pictures already printed, I just couldn't leave the prints there...
Why not? Maybe if everyone did that, they would change their approach.

I should take photos of the back of my head and the front and submit them, to see if they charge different prices for the same person's picture depending on the angle ;)

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:06 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:48 pm
Interesting that in response to a question about how to do something DIY, lots of folks chimed in about how they did something without DIY.....
My reason for pointing out the $4.99 Costco option was not to avoid the question or discourage DIY (I do a LOT of that myself and enjoy it). However, the OP mentioned a much higher price and, at least in my case, the option of a lower price may influence my decision of whether or not to choose the DIY option. Often it depends on my level of interest and/or time constraints as well as price. I was merely pointing out another option the OP may not have been aware of, not trying to divert the discussion or OP in another direction.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

TinkerPDX

Post by TinkerPDX » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 pm

We did it ourselves successfully. The $12 or whatever at the passport shop isn't a big amount to save, but there's time savings as well--and also maybe value in choosing the picture that you'll be stuck with for years. We used some free online tool to make sure it was cropped correctly then ordered the prints online.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:11 pm

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:54 am
Haven’t read the responses...

I used the following iOS app to successfully create passport photos for wife and myself a couple of years ago. Worked like a charm.

ID PhotoPrint: US passport photos, delivered by Tinkertanker
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id-phot ... 88006?mt=8
Seeing some of the comments, I thought that I’d add this...

One reason I wanted an app is that my wife hates all her photos and we experimented with this app and used the best of the bunch. IIRC, the app created a contact sheet with a few photos. I don’t remember if I printed it out myself or sent it to Walgreens (I upload my prints to their website and pick up at local store). Either way it would have cost pennies.

walletless

Post by walletless » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:19 pm

I'll also add that Amazon Prints (AmazonPrints.com) will print a 4x6 for just 9 cents. If you're ok waiting few weeks to ship, it's actually a cheap option that doesn't go through corporate bullshit that drugstores try to make you pay more for.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:25 pm

walletless wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:19 pm
I'll also add that Amazon Prints (AmazonPrints.com) will print a 4x6 for just 9 cents. If you're ok waiting few weeks to ship, it's actually a cheap option that doesn't go through corporate bullshit that drugstores try to make you pay more for.
I’d rather pay slightly more and get them the same day. I didn’t encounter any corporate BS.

- Upload prints
- Choose store PU location
- Pick up prints in a few hours
- Apple Pay
Done!

https://photo.walgreens.com/store/prints

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:06 pm

For whatever reason, I did not encounter this. Ymmv.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:40 pm

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:06 pm
For whatever reason, I did not encounter this. Ymmv.
Me either until just recently! I think it will unfortunately come to a store near you soon if we don't speak up against them. I'm waiting to hear back from their corporate office, but no high hopes!

Is there any attorney on this board who can share their insights on whether this business practice violates the law?

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:07 pm

For something that you only have to do once a decade, and costs less than 15 bucks tops, I'm amazed there's this much discussion on the subject.

walletless

Post by walletless » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:16 pm

batpot wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:07 pm
For something that you only have to do once a decade, and costs less than 15 bucks tops, I'm amazed there's this much discussion on the subject.
It's not only about cost. There are several reasons (besides cost) that I chose to DIY my photos:
1) Visas for some countries require a non-standard photo size instead of 2x2. For example, UK visas require a 4.5cm x 3.5cm photo. I have found it nearly impossible to have this done at drugstores.
2) Application for visas of some countries (such as India) require an exact digital photo to be uploaded online. Then you also need to mail in the physical printed photo with your application. The uploaded photo has to be identical to the printed/mailed photo. I have had zero luck getting a digital copy of my photo from drugstores.

Then there is certainly the cost aspect - if I can do something for 30 cents with about the same effort as opposed to $15, why would I pay 50x more? Especially since I have to do it for me, my wife and son. Plus, as immigrants, we need to do this even more often -- about once a year as opposed to a decade. For a family of three, I pay $45 at drugstores, but the same 30 cents with DIY (i.e. 150x more at drugstores)! The drugstores do the same thing any way - take a photo with DSLR camera against white backdrop, collage it on a 4x6, print and cut. Then they throw away the extra prints.

Even if you take the best case scenario of printing for $5 at Costco, you are paying at least 50x more with more time commitment of driving to a costco and finding parking.
Last edited by walletless on Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Last time we had passport photos done, we got them done at the local Walgreen's drug store photo dept. I don't remember what we paid back then, but their web site today advertises a cost of $14.99.

Apparently the taking of these photos is not a simple matter. The Dept. of State has some fairly stringent requirements for these photos, including:
  • Use a plain white or off-white background
  • Be sized correctly (2 x 2 inches / 51 x 51 mm)
  • Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:32 pm

batpot wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:07 pm
Some people have to do this for permits, travel visas, immigration visas that require tons of photos, some of us do it every 5 years for a few kids. $15 each is no small change, a lot of people in this country really do not make as much as you think. Plus some prefer DIY for a few reasons mentioned above already.

But, this is also less about cost, but more about how customers are being treated and how a national chain conducts its business - advertises a price beforehand and up-charges afterwards, with no apology or shame. If you read the reddit link a fellow poster provided above, try to imagine the humiliation those customers experienced for a regular drug store visit, then let me know what you think. I personally experienced it myself, in front of other customers, for 10 minutes, before they relented and let me pay $0.35, the right price for my photo.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Walgreens does them for like $7

jwkde

Post by jwkde » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Just did my photo today at Costco- $4.99 and they were ready in about 15 minutes